• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LttP: Final Fantasy X-2 or: I misjudged this game entirely

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
th

I passed this up entirely despite loving the hell out of FFX back in the day. The girl power, J-pop aesthetic turned me off entirely.

Little did I know that this game has the best use of the job system in the entire series. The dressphere/garment grid system is a natural evolution of the job system from FFV with the added flair of the sphere grid from FFX. In short; it's awesome! The different dresspheres are all viable in their own way. I love how Festivalist in particular has different commands for each character. The creature capture system is still mostly foreign to me, but it seems like a really neat addition to the game - and I love how it isn't mandatory, I.E. FFXIII-2's creature system. In short: the gameplay is fast paced, wonderful, and engaging. A natural evolution of FFX's turn based system merged with FFV's job system with a dash of ATB. I actually enjoy going into battles in this game!

The story? Passable. Not FFX quality, and certainly marred by Yuna's unnecessary self-empowerment characterization, but still great. SPOILERS:
I love how Shuyin is given as an explanation for why the Fayth dreamed up Tidus. Shuyin being the "real" and "original" Tidus is an extremely interesting plot point.

Overall, I'm enjoying the hell out of this game and regret passing it up back at release.

Kal_El

I remember playing it but not finishing it. Great game Payne was fun. Don't remember much but I will play when I triple dip on ps4.

Spot

I agree with you, the battle system is one of the best in the series.
Its just really annoying that you need a guide to see everything the game has to offer.

I am glad someone else likes X-2's story a bit. I found the antagonist and his plot arc to be rather memorable. I also thought the crimson sphere stuff was pretty cool once you finish that quest.

Verelios

Did Payne contribute anything to the overall storyline? I'm genuinely asking because from what little I remember playing this years ago, she just had some small side stories which were related to items or skills.

Atlantis

The game's battle system is absolutely amazing. There's so much variety and customization, you can really have fun with it.

Unfortunately most enemies in the game are just incredibly easy, so most players don't even bother.

I keep forgetting how easy they made it get the Mascot sphere and other hard to get ones in this release. Missing that chapter complete on two playthroughs on PS2 was a pretty awful feeling. I really need to get around to the HD version.

Levyne

Banned
Did Payne contribute anything to the overall storyline? I'm genuinely asking because from what little I remember playing this years ago, she just had some small side stories which were related to items or skills.

She kind of ties the three factions together with her history with their leaders. But yeah, if you don't do the Crimson sphere stuff maybe it's not as clear. But I've never /not/ done that sidequest.

I loved X-2. One of my favorite FF games. I loved Yuna's personality change. Only thing I didn't like were the ridiculous shorts she wore. But even with the goofy dressphere thing, sailor moon transformations, and girl power theme, it was great.

The story of how much Spira changed was really well done.

Aeana

Sadly, most people misjudged the game based on the beginning parts. It's really great. Battle system aside, which I've written tons of words about already and is well-covered by other people as well, I also really like how the game tackles the subject of how people who have never known anything but constant fear from the threat of Sin will deal with their newfound freedom and comparatively carefree future. Some people complain that they don't like what happened to some of the areas from FF10, but it's pretty obvious that you're supposed to be uncomfortable that, for instance, Zanarkand is now a theme park. But it's fairly realistic -- given the opportunity, respected and revered sites are exploited.

I just think it's really cool, and not an angle you get to see in many games.

Aeana

Is singing incorporated into the gameplay? I dunno I just remember there being an ability where singing would increase party health/morale/whatever.

There's a songstress dressphere. But it's just a job like all of the others. Is it really that different from the traditional bard?

2 was 2 too many felt so fanservicey.

The fact that Yuna went from priestess to some kind of idol was stupid as hell.

She didn't. The first singing scene was Leblanc who stole Yuna's dressphere. The second time, she took the opportunity to sing because it would bring people together, and because of her connection with Lenne through her dressphere. Yuna never became an "idol."

I don't think it was better than tactics in terms of the job system but even so being tied to those idiotic characters and story was unbearable.

aly

Sadly, most people misjudged the game based on the beginning parts. It's really great. Battle system aside, which I've written tons of words about already and is well-covered by other people as well, I also really like how the game tackles the subject of how people who have never known anything but constant fear from the threat of Sin will deal with their newfound freedom and comparatively carefree future. Some people complain that they don't like what happened to some of the areas from FF10, but it's pretty obvious that you're supposed to be uncomfortable that, for instance, Zanarkand is now a theme park. But it's fairly realistic -- given the opportunity, respected and revered sites are exploited.

I agree with all of this, especially with how they showed how Spira handled the aftermath of FFX. I love X-2 and it's great you went back and gave it a chance Op.

Much like FFXIII, FFX-2 should be played for its gameplay (although, unlike XIII, X-2 has more than just a battle system in its gameplay =P)

Now if only they'll make a FFX-3 based on that novel I'll be happy enough.

Wazzy

Banned
One of the best games in the series. Yuna's character development is great in this game. We actually finally see her change and grow from the character she was in X. I don't know why people expected her to stay the same from X when it's obvious most of her personality is hidden by the fact she can't be anything other than a summoner who sacrifices herself for Spira.

FFX-2 is lovely, both the battle system and the music are top-notch.

Having said that though, I can totally understand why some people are put off by the lighthearted atmosphere. The whole game is basically a celebration of Yuna's freedom from her duties in FFX, but you also get to see how the entirety of Spira evolves after the eternal calm came about which was done in a pretty believable way.

Also, obligatory Morning Glow.

Roubjon

I wanted to enjoy it, because based on what many of you guys have said there is a really good game in there. But it was just too easy to fuck up getting the best ending for me. I'm not a huge fan of playing RPGs with a guide by my side the whole time and it made the process really stressful. I ended up stopping after Chapter 2.

I whole-heartedly agree with this. It might not be the most exciting thing in terms of plot, but one thing that really makes X-2 unique is that it shows you what happens after you save the world, and people don't have to live in fear anymore.

Now if only they'll make a FFX-3 based on that novel I'll be happy enough.

You're joking, right?

There's a songstress dressphere. But it's just a job like all of the others. Is it really that different from the traditional bard?

She didn't. The first singing scene was Leblanc who stole Yuna's dressphere. The second time, she took the opportunity to sing because it would bring people together, and because of her connection with Lenne through her dressphere. Yuna never became an "idol."

Im gonna be honest i don't remember it that well last time i played it was ages ago. But i remember the singing and the whole posing stuff turning me off within the first few minutes. I don't even remember if i finished it or not, i remember Vegnagun but that is it. I just think its a completely forgettable game outside of the dressphere system.

I remember when it first came out a couple of people I know made fun of me for wanting to play it. They were like, "ewww that's the girly Final Fantasy. Why would you play something fruity like that?" One of these people won't watch a movie/show if it has a female lead so I dunno what to say. I am amazed how some people dislike playing as a female main character as if it hurts their masculinity or something.

Daingurse

I loved the combat and job systems. I found a lot of the game to be quite amusing, combine that with the fun as fuck combat system and I had a really fun time with X-2.

Blobbers

I'm not put off by the singing or the character or whathaveyou.
The reason I don't wanna play the game is because I feel I'd have to have the walkthrough in front of me from minute 1. I hate that. I like to be able to cruise through the story mode up until a point and then sweep the rest of the sidequests at my leisure, you know, like in FF X (except that 1 destructo sphere but you can still get it by defeating a sideboss).

I might have been misinformed, but I've heard many times that one mistake, one unvisited location or one wrong chosen dialogue option can make the difference between 99.8% and 100%.

I wanted to enjoy it, because based on what many of you guys have said there is a really good game in there. But it was just too easy to fuck up getting the best ending for me. I'm not a huge fan of playing RPGs with a guide by my side the whole time and it made the process really stressful. I ended up stopping after Chapter 2.

This is probably its biggest flaw in my eyes, trying to get 100% is really stressful and almost impossible to do without a walkthrough.

Orcastar

X-2 is a great game. A lot of the hate has more to do with male insecurity than the quality of the game itself, i.e. you're not supposed to like it because it's all girly. It's pretty sad.

kunonabi

X-2 is easily my favorite game in the series as far as pure gameplay goes. I personally enjoyed the characters and the story quite a bit. Yuna's monologue at the end of the game always gets me a little choked up to be honest.

FINAL FANTASY X-2 DEFENSE FORCE FO LYFE

The fact that Yuna went from priestess to some kind of idol was stupid as hell.

If you mean in-character, well, the initial idol part is someone disguising themselves as Yuna, and when Yuna does decide to embrace it, it's largely driven by the fact that the Songstress sphere is connected to Lenne, Shuyin's lady friend.

If you mean out-of-character, the whole point of the game is to emphasize how different safe, Eternal Calm Spira is from the somber place it is in FFX. The pop music is sledgehammer-subtle but it definitely gets the point across.

Shahed

The combat and general RPG sub systems in this game are amazing. As are other little minor things. But it's hard to appreciate all of that with all the annoyance in general presentation and mannerisms at times that severely detract from the overall experience. It's like having a great core game in Star Ocean 4, and then having that cast and narrative with the painful voice acting and Lymle, Welch and Sarah. Sure there's something really good underneat but you have to slog through so much of the other stuff to get to it. I'd love say a game that used it's systems but presented in a package like FFXII

Have to give a nod to certain music tracks though. Seal of the Wind and Memories of Lightwaves are absolutely beautiful.

kunonabi

The combat and general RPG sub systems in this game are amazing. As are other little minor things. But it's hard to appreciate all of that with all the annoyance in general presentation and mannerisms at times that severely detract from the overall experience. It's like having a great core game in Star Ocean 4, and then having that cast and narrative with the painful voice acting and Lymle, Welch and Sarah. Sure there's something really good underneat but you have to slog through so much of the other stuff to get to it. I'd love say a game that used it's systems but presented in a package like FFXII

Have to give a nod to certain music tracks though. Seal of the Wind and Memories of Lightwaves are absolutely beautiful beautiful.

I prefer the X-2 soundtrack overall. FFX had some higher highs like To Zanarkand but I found the soundtrack as whole a bit underwhelming.

I agree with you, the battle system is one of the best in the series.
Its just really annoying that you need a guide to see everything the game has to offer.

Exactly.

I also found the tonal shift from the somber FFX to the bubble FFX-2 pretty jarring. FFX is a better package overall, but FFX-2 had one of the best ATB systems.

I loved X-2. One of my favorite FF games. I loved Yuna's personality change. Only thing I didn't like were the ridiculous shorts she wore. But even with the goofy dressphere thing, sailor moon transformations, and girl power theme, it was great.

The story of how much Spira changed was really well done.

Her rat tail is worse than her shorts.

chemicals

I love FFX so much that I ran out and bought X2 day one. Played it for 10 hours, then 20 hours.. hoping it would get better.. It never did.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
One of the most frustrating games to fully 100%. Adored the combat system, but the execution on the mission progression and flow was poorly conceived. Too bad because the concept was sound, but Square had this strange urge to convolute the journey with so much tedium and bullshit that brought some of the games down, particularly in the optional content.

And yea, the opening music interlude is fantastic.

Tohsaka

Game was great, I just hated how you pretty much needed a guide to get 100%. I never did it on the PS2 version, though I finally did in the HD remaster last year.

aly

Yeah I agree that getting 100% is the worst thing ever. Which is why I don't bother on the first play through and go back to do that other stuff for re playability. I will say that Sphere breaker is more enjoyable than Blitzball.

Atlantis

If you want to get technical, the main reason to even use the Songstress Dressphere is the dances. The songs are mostly a waste.

No singing necessary!

Shahadan

People judged it right from the start because of the first picture (yuna with guns and showing her ass) and the fact that it was the first sequel. Regardless of the finished product, some people couldn't shut up about it without even trying it at all.

BadWolf

Gave it a serious shot with over 10 hours of play but had to stop, it was ruining my memories of FFX (which is one of my faves in the genre).

Ninjimbo

Preach. I love that aspect of FFX-2. You get to see a world you knew going through restoration. I liked how the characters from the first game appear and you see them wrestle with the fact they have all this freedom now. It helps drive home the point.

Top Bottom