• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LTTP: Final Fantasy XIII, one of my top 5 games of all time.

Majukun

Amir0x said:
no it's not. Look I hate FFXIII but it's not even close

I mean it's not even in the top five worst RPGs.

play:

Quest 64
Paladin's Quest
Silver
Beyond the Beyond
Fatal Labrynth

well it's probably the worst game i have ever played,and it's almost 20 years since i began to play ,i don't have played all the games in the world though
and quest 64 is a better game than final fantasy XIII

Quest 64 had some appealing aspects. I mean it wasn't necessarily good, but I played too much of it to consider it bad.

On a side note: far too many good souls lost in this thread.

epmode

2San said:
Isn't that pretty much any WRPG's?
Maybe in the late 90s but party-based WRPGs aren't very common anymore.

I want a real, quantifiable threat system instead of the half-assed implementation in, well, everything that's not an MMO. I want encounters where player positioning and movement really matters. And crowd control should be nearly as important as damage dealing.

In other words, give me WoW's combat system in single-player game with a few tweaks to make everything manageable for one person and I will buy your game with the fury of a thousand suns.

Eventually I'll get around to playing this game again.
Problem is I'm a shallow guy who likes being fed a constant stream of "goodies". This is a pretty catch-all term that covers level-ups, armor upgrades, seemingly useless stuff like clothing, and money is cool too as long as I have something to spend it on.

FFXIII is really tight on that kind of stuff...or at least at the point I'm at. At this point I don't even care what hour of the tutorial I'm on as I'd rather just have some cool skill or something to look forward to unlocking.

Compare that to the last and the current RPG I'm playing. Resonance of Fate was giving me stuff just for unlocking more of the overworld, I'd juggle a bad guy with an attack and get hundreds of pieces of junk to sell or use towards building some gun parts to mess around with(oh and the clothes, can't forget the clothes). Dragon Quest 9 is really simplistic in terms of story and battle-strategy but everyone gets visible armor to wear and there's stuff for me to get my hands on everywhere.

With FFXIII it's cool that I unlocked weapon upgrading but so far it just seems like a waste or at least not enough of a noticeable difference. Plus my skill upgrades are still lame stuff like fire, some attack that hits someone into the air? I dunno it's just stuff that isn't really exciting. Story is of course no help as I pretty much stopped at this factory or something that Sazh and Vanille are chilling at. This game kind of reminds me of FF4 except I've noticed that it takes maybe 5 or so hours to get the first airship and start putting together a more permanent party. I'm at about twice that in FF13 and it feels like I'm going nowhere.

Neki

To the people complaining about the grinding nature of FFXIII, I found that most battles were avoidable. Am I crazy in believing that? Or was there actually a lot of forced battles? Most enemies could be avoided or moved around from, but I don't mind grinding, so I basically ran into every enemy unless I had to back-track or if it was an extremely hard one.

~Kinggi~

Banned
Im happy for you. I thought FF 13 had a lot of amazing qualities but i still have difficulty overcoming the bad story and combat focused gameplay. Still havent beat it yet. Stopped in the big Gran Pulse area, which is supposed to be the best part, but i just got bored. I may return to it if another FF is announced. Wish i could love it as much as some. I always want to love a new FF game.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
the coming of age story of BRIAN from QUEST 64 is a wonderful tale that could only have come from the geniuses at QUEST

Majukun

Amir0x said:
come on

justify this position please. i understand different opinions but come on.
i am not saying tha quest 64 is a great game.
it's just how bad FF XIII is.
the only gameplay part in the ENTIRE GAME is in his combat system,you can delete everything in the game axcept from battles and you have pretty much the same experience gameplay-wise.
and the battle system itself is broken, you have poor to none control on the strategy of the combat,you just try to press as fast as you could the most powerful attack that the enemy is weak against and when your hp are low switch to "heal all" paradigm,and repeat,this for hundreds or thousands times.
the only exception is in boss battles,where you have to add another "formation" for buff and debuff..and here we go,that's FFXIII in a nutshell.
no exploration,no interactivity,no level design,no party customization,no sidequest (apart from hunting,but it's the same thing you have done since the beginning,walk and fight,stop),god, even the inventary is pretty much useless until the very last part of the game where you need to improve your weapons.

from my point of view,anything that let the players "play",it's better than FFXIII

p_xavier

Authorized Fister
I actually enjoyed Beyond the Beyond more than FFXII, but I loved FFXIII as well. And no, I'm serious.

Neki

Majukun said:
i am not saying tha quest 64 is a great game.
it's just how bad FF XIII is.
the only gameplay part in the ENTIRE GAME is in his combat system,you can delete everything in the game axcept from battles and you have pretty much the same experience gameplay-wise.
and the battle system itself is broken, you have poor to none control on the strategy of the combat,you just try to press as fast as you could the most powerful attack that the enemy is weak against and when your hp are low switch to "heal all" paradigm,and repeat,this for hundreds or thousands times.
the only exception is in boss battles,where you have to add another "formation" for buff and debuff..and here we go,that's FFXIII in a nutshell.
no exploration,no interactivity,no level design,no party customization,no sidequest (apart from hunting,but it's the same thing you have done since the beginning,walk and fight,stop),god, even the inventary is pretty much useless until the very last part of the game where you need to improve your weapons.

from my point of view,anything that let the players "play",it's better than FFXIII

I honestly have no ideas how you would pass later boss battles, or later harder enemies, with that kind of mindset to be honest. :lol

JeFfRey said:
I actually enjoyed Beyond the Beyond more than FFXII, but I loved FFXIII as well. And no, I'm serious.

Is this one of those "FFXII was really that bad" dealies or are there some qualities to Beyond the Beyond that makes it worth checking out?

bon

Amir0x said:
no it's not. Look I hate FFXIII but it's not even close

I mean it's not even in the top five worst RPGs.

play:

Quest 64
Paladin's Quest
Silver
Beyond the Beyond
Fatal Labrynth
Hey, Fatal Labyrinth isn't that bad, for an early 90's console roguelike that predates Chunsoft's.

Amir0x

Banned
PepsimanVsJoe said:
Is this one of those "FFXII was really that bad" dealies or are there some qualities to Beyond the Beyond that makes it worth checking out?

Beyond the Beyond is terrible in every way. In no sane sense of the universe is any aspect of it better than FFXII, not battle system, not exploration, not visuals or music or anything.

Heck, you could HATE FFXII and still come up with a saner better game than BtB

p_xavier

Authorized Fister
Amir0x said:
Beyond the Beyond is terrible in every way. In no sane sense of the universe is any aspect of it better than FFXII, not battle system, not exploration, not visuals or music or anything.

Heck, you could HATE FFXII and still come up with a saner better game than BtB

The story was simplistic yes, the gameplay was fun and the music was not bad, basically it was a 16 bit RPG for the PSone.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BuKqeCCtQYQ&feature=related

Amir0x

Banned
yea, would have been one of the worst 16bit RPGs of all time too.

GAF proves once and again there is somebody out there who likes everything

Majukun

Amir0x said:

that was already proved in the first post XD

Oh God the font and the art-style leads me to believe this game was handled by Matrix Software.

How can anyone fall off this hard?

I mean WTF somebody stop them! They're using the Shining Force/Landstalker font.

d0c_zaius

I wanted to like it, but being forced to have no direct control over the characters and watching them make fail decisions was just too frustrating to deal with.

I also thought the cast was the most "focus group made" out of them all.

p_xavier

Authorized Fister
Amir0x said:

People still buy every remake of FFI, the gameplay and story are worse than BTB. It doesn't change the fact that I loathed FFXII. Gameplay was horrible, buying licences to equip arms, WTF?

p_xavier

Authorized Fister
PepsimanVsJoe said:
I mean WTF somebody stop them! They're using the Shining Force/Landstalker font.

It's the same company... Camelot. BTB was the first JRPG for the PSone in NA.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Amir0x said:

Just as well GAF also proves once and again there is somebody out there who hates everything

I mean, come on, Quest 64? Hate FF13 all you want, but to call Quest 64 a better game than FF13 is incredibly ridiculous.

imtehman said:
FFXIII was fucking awesome!

can't wait for ff xiii-2

My sentiments exactly :) Fuck the haters.

jiien

Vanille Defense Force, unite!

Nah, but I really liked it. It was different, but still fun. I don't really care what people think it should have been, as long as it still delivers. And for me, it did. So good on you, OP, I like it too. HIGH FIVE. :)

JeFfRey said:
People still buy every remake of FFI, the gameplay and story are worse than BTB. It doesn't change the fact that I loathed FFXII. Gameplay was horrible, buying licences to equip arms, WTF?

Isn't it pretty much just like a char in any other RPG that can't equip a certain weapon because of level? They just added a new approach to it and a fine one at that. It really shouldn't be game breaking because I don't remember having to grind to get certain licenses, it just happened.

JeFfRey said:
It's the same company... Camelot. BTB was the first JRPG for the PSone in NA.

So far this is the only reason I have to actually want to play this game.

On the other hand I don't even find Camelot's good JRPGs to be enjoyable(the Golden Sun games). I can't imagine this turning out well at all.

cosmicblizzard said:
I actually loved Quest 64 but I was like 8 or something. I kind of want to find my copy to see what I'll think of it now.

Being an RPG fan and an N64-only owner at one time did regrettable things to me.

p_xavier

Authorized Fister
ChocolateCupcakes said:
Isn't it pretty much just like a char in any other RPG that can't equip a certain weapon because of level? They just added a new approach to it and a fine one at that. It really shouldn't be game breaking because I don't remember having to grind to get certain licenses, it just happened.
Really? Guessing wich licenses to spend your EXP on because you don't have any idea exactly what you're spending it on? Then finding a store where you can buy that weapon/equipement? It was utterly stupid and a waste of my time.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
God! What I would give for more xii. Why, square, did you throw all that fantastic progress out?

I didn't see a problem with the license board(are we getting into this argument now?).
Unless you're doing some crazy run like a level 1 party it wasn't any trouble at all getting LPs. With the gambits tuned properly my guys were something similar to a whirlwind and I always had enough LP for every piece of equipment.

It was a bit more of a hassle on my second playthrough since I was using a guide and getting a lot of good stuff really early on(like that fucking Spear).

LP were too easy to get which lead to your party basically having all the abilities and being the same. Pretty annoying.

And you don't really have to guess, since similar things are all kind of together.

p_xavier

Authorized Fister
PepsimanVsJoe said:
I didn't see a problem with the license board(are we getting into this argument now?).
Unless you're doing some crazy run like a level 1 party it wasn't any trouble at all getting LPs. With the gambits tuned properly my guys were something similar to a whirlwind and I always had enough LP for every piece of equipment.

It was a bit more of a hassle on my second playthrough since I was using a guide and getting a lot of good stuff really early on(like that fucking Spear).

It was troubles because if you had equipment, you needed to find the fucking licence on the board first before using it.

I understand that people who like WRPGs also liked FFXII, but I sure don't like them. And don't get me started on gambits.

Laughing Banana said:
I mean, come on, Quest 64? Hate FF13 all you want, but to call Quest 64 a better game than FF13 is incredibly ridiculous.

Didn't he just say the exact opposite(that Quest 64 was worse than XIII)?

JeFfRey said:
The licence board. To find White Magick 3 (and the stupid spelling), you need to guess where it is.

I never had to guess.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
JeFfRey said:
The licence board. To find White Magick 3 (and the stupid spelling), you need to guess where it is.

You also have to buy your way through a bunch of stuff that particular character would never use... the LB was pretty dumb.

Still love FFXII.

JeFfRey said:

No, you didn't. It says it at the bottom of the screen.

finalfantasyxii20070112vq5.jpg

Best pic I could find.

Edit: Unless you were trying to go straight to White Magick 3 or whatever. They wanted you to make progress.

JeFfRey said:
Really? Guessing wich licenses to spend your EXP on because you don't have any idea exactly what you're spending it on? Then finding a store where you can buy that weapon/equipement? It was utterly stupid and a waste of my time.

And, really? Why didn't you just look at a guide? Or did you expect all the equipment and weapons to be in one store?

Evolved1

After this thread I'm looking at my copy of FFXIII but I'd rather play FFXII again. haha.

Man, one thing that sucks about having a slim. I'd pay full price for a DD copy of XII right now.

Skilletor

Pretty sure FF12 lists everything in the license board regardless of whether or not you can purchase it at that time.

There was never a need to guess where anything was. You could plot it out long beforehand.,

Evolved1

Skilletor said:
Pretty sure FF12 lists everything in the license board regardless of whether or not you can purchase it at that time.

There was never a need to guess where anything was. You could plot it out long beforehand.,

And even if the LB was dumb... the points were so easy to get that you could experiment and make mistakes.

If I remade FFXII I'd structure everything into logical progressions... but points would be harder to come by. Something like that. I always liked the idea of the LB, but not its implementation. Fortunately, the devs didn't penalize us for their weird layout.

7Th

I wouldn't play either FFXII or FFXIII again. I enjoyed them, but they're both bloated and repetitive. I hope the next mainline Final Fantasy is completely different.

Skilletor said:

Exactly. I just want to say that the guy before was too impatient or somehow didn't notice.

p_xavier

Authorized Fister
ChocolateCupcakes said:
Exactly. I just want to say that the guy before was too impatient or somehow didn't notice.

It didn't, as it is in the pic. So you needed to spend LP where you thought the equipment would be so you could find it.

JeFfRey said:
It didn't, as it is in the pic. So you needed to spend LP where you thought the equipment would be so you could find it.

What? It says it right there in the pic. The cursor is highlighted over one of the license he can purchase and it has the name of the two weapons you can use the same with the magic and accessories.

There are and were plenty of guides where people wrote out all the magic and equipments in the same form of the license board and the license points were easy to gain so even if you didn't like where you were going you can take another path and catch up easily.

In short, the license board shouldn't be a game breaker. I loved everything about FF12 but even I could understand if you had some gripe with the gambits or the spawns or the chaining or the story. But not liking the license board is silly because there is little wrong with it. It was just a different way of obtaining equipments.

Skilletor

Just popped in FF12, and that's true. It shows ??? for areas you haven't accessed.

I've been playing FF12i, and I think it's different. It also groups like things right next to each other (armor, weapons, magic).

I apologize for my mistake. :)

Top Bottom