• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LTTP: Kid Icarus: Uprising

The game is definitely in my top 10 for the year, really fun story and characters that is filled to the brim with surprises (it totally blew my mind on the first playthrough) and the game goes above and beyond the call of duty when it comes to unlockables and replayability (good ol' Sakurai).

I did find the controls uncomfortable to use, though, I really like everything else about the game, but it's just not quite that well suited to the system, I think I would have preferred that it were a Wii game?

I hope we get to see another game in the series, I would love a Wii U entry.

Dr.Hadji

love your site by the way. any man that loves MaBoShi is alright by me.

Thanks. Yeah. MaBoShi got on my GOTY list for that year. It has inspired a lot of my own design.

Speed and range on/of weapons become essential for flying. Am I wrong?

I think you're talking about how some weapons are very difficult to use especially on 9 difficulty during the air battles. But, I think the entire game is like this. You have the balanced weapons BLADES/BOWS and everything else is more and more specialized. With the more specialized weapons, you're bound to enter challenges filling a bit under equipped.

I found the Hewdraw boss to be much harder with a club (especially the Magnus club). Yet, the clubs can almost get free ride through the flying sections. There's a lot of design space to explore so picking a weapon has a lot of give and take.

I think one thing I like about the flying missions is ... like Ikaruga... the entire level is mostly on a timer. So if you can just survive, you're good. You can play defensive the whole way if you must. So that's always an option even if your weapon sucks for air battles.

I also really like how careful you have to be when going for high score during the air battles. To hit some of the trailing fast moving targets with a limited weapon takes some serious skill.

tauroxd

Oh boy!.. I remember watching early videos from this game that were shown in some E3 (2010 or 2011... or you know, both of them) And the game never really clicked with me. But I was really looking forward to read into it when it was released because it was a Sakurai game. All I was thinking was that probably the game wasn't gonna be great.

So it's finally release... all that love on so many websites :eek: so I dediced to buy and... HOLY SHIT!!! I JUST FELL IN LOVE. Everythin about the game is just so beatiful, so perfect, and as some people here have said, so happy about itself. All that funny writing is amazing, and of course the MUSIC!

Yes, it coulb be a pain in the ass to adjust to the controls in the beginning, but when it clicks, it really clicks.

Anyway, I'm great you love it OP, go on, till the end with it :)

Boogiepop

Love this game so, so, so much. Hands down my GOTY, and went right into my top 10 at least. Did everything in the game but
the hardest level of Boss Rush, because that is a whole other level of difficult
, and that was with the left handed (no CCP) control scheme. Honestly, I couldn't imagine trying to play the game on dual sticks. Would just feel so slow and clunky in comparison.

Most of all, though, I can't believe that I only ended up grabbing this game at launch because of the 3D Classics KI preorder bonus. Was totally ready to pass on the game, and then I pick it up and it turns out to be just nonstop amazing.

Honestly, I couldn't imagine trying to play the game on dual sticks. Would just feel so slow and clunky in comparison.

Pretty much, I think it would work best with Wii Remote pointer+Nunchuk controls, myself. I don't really have an issue with the games' controls themselves, just that the 3DS was thoroughly uncomfortable use because of them.

Hades = Best New Villain of this Gen.

He's pretty much Nintendo's... Hades. From the Disney Hercules movie. Uh... You know what I mean.

Yupp.
Hades is so awesomely awesome. And fabulous. He's like a combination of Disney's Hades and Tim Curry.

I love Hades so much. I hope he gets a prominent role in Smash Bros. 4.

nikatapi

What a great game. It didn't seem like my kind of game, but a friend got it for me as a present, and i had an amazing time playing it.

Amazing graphics, fun gameplay, good voice acting and music, i really didn't expect this to be so fun and addictive.
It seems like this is a must have for every 3DS owner.

Oh and GREAT 3D effect!!!

Riposte

Oh, I asked this in the OT, but it is dead. What does high level multiplayer play look like? The multiplayer comes off as kind of stupid, more like a playground to test interesting builds. I have this one Magnus Club build that's quite braindead and effective.

zroid

Banned
It miiiight be harder to play freehand on the XL. I should test this out for myself one of these days. XL fits on the stand, in any case.

Socreges

Banned
It miiiight be harder to play freehand on the XL. I should test this out for myself one of these days. XL fits on the stand, in any case.
Oh... never mind then. Just assumed it wouldn't.

I'll have to pick this up some day.

I do wonder if it would be so popular here if it came out in November instead. Might have gotten more love since it was released during a slow period.

Neiteio

I think it's actually easier to play freehand on the XL. The XL distributes its weight better and is more ergonomically correct.

Jintor

Oh, I asked this in the OT, but it is dead. What does high level multiplayer play look like? The multiplayer comes off as kind of stupid, more like a playground to test interesting builds. I have this one Magnus Club build that's quite braindead and effective.

I don't know if it's dead now, but back in the day we were having some crazy GAF times just running around. Claws v Clubs, shit bouncing around everywhere, it was good times.

I don't know about higher-level play, but random level play was certainly baller!

Finished this like 2 months ago... While the presentation, graphics, music was top notch overall and is really to be commended, i felt the gameplay, while fine, did not really call out to me to actually come back and play the damn thing :(

So yeah, it was very good overall but i wasn't "addicted" to it like i thought i was gonna be.

Other than that though, great game!

Dr.Hadji

I describe the high level multiplayer in my review. Right now, there's too many options and overpowered combinations to take seriously. Of course, as with most Nintendo games, the competitive rules have to be selected out of the many options. The game has all the necessary design for solid competition.

See video here with some commentary.

vareon

Holy shit. I just finished fighting
Cragalance
and then
Viridi's treasure hunt
unlocked. I literally laughed at my 3DS. So many goddamn things to do.

It's still my GOTY, for sure. Lots of other badass stuff, but I didn't have that much fun with any other game in 2012 (that came out in 2012...if Dead Space 2 was released at the same time there'd be a tough call to make).

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
GOTY for me.

gFs9q.jpg

SteeloDMZ

Banned
Isn't it ridiculous how the game keeps getting better and better and better until the end? It starts on a high note and ends on an even higher note.

GOTY

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
It's a very good game but I do find the ground controls a little trying. The ergonomics of the original 3DS really don't help.

m0t0k1

I loved the music in this game best thing about the game for sure. such nice tunes like the intro theme. However i didn't enjoy the game as much as you guys. The air section never reached the greatness of Starfox 64 or a Sin and Punishment. The land portions where kinda meh. The controls did work but it isn't perfect. Also i loved the story and the characters. Overal fun game, but not the best thing on 3ds like most people make it out to be.

Well i've finished it once again, it's simply delicious I tell you, with all the Gods and what not this game should be likened to Ambrosia.

I would say the major theme of this game is escalation. Unpredictable.

Even on yet another run through upon reaching the final stage I always think "how the hell did we end up with this situation?", it's delightfully mad.

Korosenai

Sakurai is a god among men

I describe the high level multiplayer in my review. Right now, there's too many options and overpowered combinations to take seriously. Of course, as with most Nintendo games, the competitive rules have to be selected out of the many options. The game has all the necessary design for solid competition.

See video here with some commentary.
I wish i could have recorded some games from the nwr tourney for posterity.

Socreges

Banned
Well i've finished it once again, it's simply delicious I tell you, with all the Gods and what not this game should be likened to Ambrosia.

Even on yet another run through upon reaching the final stage I always think "how the hell did we end up with this situation?", it's delightfully mad.
You talk funny.

oatmeal

Banned
v
i feel sorry for all the people whose hands could not adjust to the controls

It wasn't the controls, it was the game itself. I'm not a big shooter fan. I appreciated the quality of it, it was overflowing with content and it was really charming.

The problem was that I just...don't care for that type of game.

Korosenai

If anyone is looking to get back into the multiplayer or play it for the first time, add me: 5155-3032-4812.

I'll be hosting matches in ten minutes. Hopefully at least 3 or 4 people join.

A.E Suggs

Well, it easily gets soundtrack of the year. Gameplaywise... meh. The flight sections are super shallow and always the same shid, just with different movies in the background that have absolutely no effect on the actual game. Ground sections are much better but brought down by the controls. Even if you get used to them, they are never perfect - the game belongs on a home console with Wiimote controls. As usual, Sakurai compensates with tons of content etc so it was still fun enough.
Its not shallow at all, I think you people need to go look up what shallow means. It does seem that there has always been a few people that dislike the flight section but like the ground section better have this opinion.

Yea, I found playing with high sensitivity much better, had no idea there was a FPS mode. That said the controls are still iffy. I'll turn on aim assist when I get back to it. I've stopped playing it since I'm saving up for 3DS XL. I've already formatted my 3DS, hoping to sell the thing but nobody is interested. =/

I still think the localization/dubbing is terrible and the constant blabber annoys me.

One of the best parts of the game, then again I've come to notice that you just don't like dubbing. I can see why some wouldn't like it but the dubbing is anything but terrible its very good even if you don't like the babbling.

zroid

Banned
The dub is definitely campy. It's very well-done, but if you're turned off by camp, you aren't going to like it. I find it charming and irreverent.

I never had a problem with the controls, and after lots of replays I actually love more the infoot sections that the flying ones, the replayabilty is greater in the foot ones IMO.
But the first time you beat the flying ones, goddamned,, its gorgous and the music works flawesly with them.
Then theres the amazing dialog and charming charcters and story, the characters are just amazing and the story is what every cartoony with taints of epic story has to be (take note kingdom hearts). I hope this time is Sakurai the one who writes Smash 4 singleplayer adventure and not that FFVII hack writer.
And even with all this the game is full packed to the brims.

Best 3DS game with Revelations and Mario 3D Land. Absolutly superb.

Neiteio

I never had a problem with the controls, and after lots of replays I actually love more the infoot sections that the flying ones, the replayabilty is greater in the foot ones IMO.
But the first time you beat the flying ones, goddamned,, its gorgous and the music works flawesly with them.
Then theres the amazing dialog and charming charcters and story, the characters are just amazing and the story is what every cartoony with taints of epic story has to be (take note kingdom hearts). I hope this time is Sakurai the one who writes Smash 4 singleplayer adventure and not that FFVII hack writer.
And even with all this the game is full packed to the brims.

Best 3DS game with Revelations and Mario 3D Land. Absolutly superb.
God-tier post, right down to your co-Best 3DS selections (KIU, RER and 3D Land).

ryushe

The game incredible graphically and the bosses are great. Best part so far was
chasing the ship through the space galaxy.
Chapter fucking 8. I knew that was in the spoiler tag before I even clicked on it.

The Music, the visuals and just the bombastic nature of everything going on that stage was one of, if not the most impressive thing I've even experienced or seen this year. Hell, I even boot up the game from time to time just to play that chapter.

My GOTY without a shadow of a doubt. Nothing's even close.

Oxx

I've had it in my Amazon wishlist since release and it feels like the price hasn't budged at all.

daakusedo

I regret missing the online battles when it was played here.
After being successful clearing chapters at 9.0 when the few first attempts were kinda crushing, I was quickly brought back to reality, unable to finish chapter 11, when it's not the tricky last room, it's that rocky boss who destroy all hopes.
Also at first, the flying parts were hard to handle, getting hit by everything and always surviving awfully long part with no health and the fact that I wanted already to go on the ground part.
Then learning to do small circles everytime helped a lot, so much that you're not worried anymore to know if you will make it at 9.0 and then concentrate more on the ground battles.

zroid

Banned
It's definitely been on sale, though. It's been $30 a few times, and even $20 at least once.

edit: No idea about Europe though, obviously :(

Oxx

'Cause it hasn't? It's a top tier Nintendo game dude, those never go down.

True, but even higher-profile games like Ocarina, Layton, and NSMB2 have been £20 or lower.

I'm not even asking for bomba pricing. Psychologically, any KI drop would spur me into action at this point.

Top Bottom