• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LTTP: Lunar Silver Star Story Complete

1stStrike

Banned
I was on Twitch looking to see if anyone had streamed Lunar and I found your videos. It looks like my level is in line with where you were. Did the Lunar 2 videos ever get posted? All I see is the Epilogue...

The Lunar 2 videos got pruned off automatically by twitch. I saved the Lunar 1 videos permanently, but didn't for the Lunar 2 videos cause I had a couple issues at certain points, plus it just wasn't something I really wanted to save forever like Lunar 1 was.

Link1110

Friend went to Japan, he asked me if I wanted anything, look what was on the list.
mx9TbATl.jpg

It's too bad the PS2 version of Grandia 2 was double what I wanted to pay for it, the Japanese version supposedly doesn't have the issues that the US version of it does.

Oh that's right. I actually remember Lords of Lunar pretty fondly!

Might have been my best memory of the game. :p Dat multiplayer action.

BosSin

Is the psp version good? I've never played any lunar games and think this would be a convenient way to try the first one out

btrboyev

Friend went to Japan, he asked me if I wanted anything, look what was on the list.
mx9TbATl.jpg

It's too bad the PS2 version of Grandia 2 was double what I wanted to pay for it, the Japanese version supposedly doesn't have the issues that the US version of it does.

I saw so many Saturn games I wanted to buy when I went to Tokyo a few years back. I distinctly remember pulling Lunar out. I didn't buy any games because the prices were higher than I thought they'd be. Plus, I'd just buy them and never play em anyway.

1stStrike

Banned
Is the psp version good? I've never played any lunar games and think this would be a convenient way to try the first one out

Some people commented earlier in the thread that it wasn't as good as the PS1 version. If you have a PSP you could probably just homebrew it and run the PS1 version on it, though...

Some people commented earlier in the thread that it wasn't as good as the PS1 version. If you have a PSP you could probably just homebrew it and run the PS1 version on it, though...

I bought it and was planning on playing it instead of SSSC, but there were some annoyances, especially how the music fades in and out when you change screens. I guess I was used to the voices from the WD versions, but I wasn't a fan of the Harmony version after getting through the first dungeon.

BosSin

I was mainly thinking of playing it on my vita as I have nothing but contempt for my old phat psp

1stStrike

Banned
I was mainly thinking of playing it on my vita as I have nothing but contempt for my old phat psp

Well... here's a few quotes for you from earlier in the thread.

Alex's "I won't give you up. You musn't give up either, regardless of how hopeless things may seem." was cringe-worthy, but overall there is real emotion in the PS1 scene.
PSP? It speaks for itself. There really is just no, absolutely NO emotion whatsoever in the delivery from Luna/Althena. I actually think Alex's VO is better in the PSP version, but having Luna be so flat just kills the whole thing.

In the pantheon of my gaming nostalgia, Lunar: SSSC ranks so very highly, I'm glad for Vic to be in this thread. 13 year old me's mind would be blown at the ease of access of 27 year old me to discuss one of my favorite games with the man partially responsible.

I kind of want to go back and watch that Making Of CD that I still have in my closet.

Harmony is the very definition of anime-dub trying-too-hard performances. Passable in certain areas, but completely ruined the scene where
Alex saves Luna
, for example. Compare the two scenes. Harmony is all shouting and cold dialogue. Emotional impact is just gone.

PS1 (jump to 5 minutes):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sVp_TY0CdGc

PSP (jump to 4 minutes):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gfvnDBbi6rA

Sorry there isn't a "party" to be late too anymore. It was signed, sealed, and delivered when Working Designs left the project. Had the PSP version had my voice actors, better difficulty, and the non gapping music/load time between screens we could talk.

It's just an inferior version, is all. If you're going to play Lunar 1 it should be SSSC, imo. Don't settle for less.

I just got to the Frontier tonight and just saw the Grindery speed away from me.
I'm assuming I'm pretty close to the end. I'm loving this game. Too bad I didn't play it before Lunar 2.

1stStrike

Banned
I just got to the Frontier tonight and just saw the Grindery speed away from me.
I'm assuming I'm pretty close to the end. I'm loving this game. Too bad I didn't play it before Lunar 2.

Yep, you're in the latter portion of the game. You still have plenty of epic moments ahead of you, though, and one of my favorite endings of all time. Don't forget to watch all the way through the credits too!

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
I just got to the part where
you lead Ghaleon to Quark. The scene when he goes insane was amazing.
How far into the game am I?

When I played the game (right after its PS1 release, never played the SEGA-CD version), that was what hooked me on the game.

I just got to the Grindery. What a crazy castle.
Do you think I can beat the game in 2 hours or does it go a lot longer than it seems right now?

Is it just me or does one of the enemies use the same scream that is used in Doom when you die? It sounds so damn similar.

1stStrike

Banned
I just got to the Grindery. What a crazy castle.
Do you think I can beat the game in 2 hours or does it go a lot longer than it seems right now?

Is it just me or does one of the enemies use the same scream that is used in Doom when you die? It sounds so damn similar.

Mmm I'm trying to recall, but I believe you should be able to finish the game in 2 - 4 hours. Not really sure exactly how long it'll take to get through everything, but The Grindery isn't quite the end yet.

Oh and not sure on the scream. I never noticed nor can I recall the Doom scream.

Mmm I'm trying to recall, but I believe you should be able to finish the game in 2 - 4 hours. Not really sure exactly how long it'll take to get through everything, but The Grindery isn't quite the end yet.

Oh and not sure on the scream. I never noticed nor can I recall the Doom scream.

Ah. I was just hoping I'd be able to finish this tonight and start Ni No Kuni tomorrow. :)

vireland

I can't imagine playing the PSP version without John Truitt as Ghaleon.

He loves hearing this. At one point in his day job he was the director of a reproductive services place and teens would come in to get an exam and freak out when they heard "Ghaleon" asking them admission questions. His stories about this cracked me up, just imagining the scene from the patient's perspective.

vireland

Yep. I found it kind of campy in the remake. In the original, when I had no idea it was coming, it was a one-two gut punch. The betrayal, then the murder on top of that.

It also made it difficult dramatically because he "showed his hand" too soon and was stuck in Magic Emperor voice too soon in the timeline. I like unarmored crazy Ghaleon better. Way easier to write, and dramatically more effective, IMO.

I just beat Ghaleon and started waking up the path to Luna. I just kept walking up and ended up dying and DIDNT SAVE! Now I have to beat him again! UGH!
The whole sequence is pretty cool otherwise... >:\

1stStrike

Banned
I just beat Ghaleon and started waking up the path to Luna. I just kept walking up and ended up dying and DIDNT SAVE! Now I have to beat him again! UGH!
The whole sequence is pretty cool otherwise... >:\

HAH. I did save before that, but there's a certain item that you need to use before walking up there. I'm sure you'll be able to figure it out :p

This is, and always will be, one of my all time favourite RPGs. Every time I fire it up, it gives me a strange feeling in my stomach, like I'm reliving my childhood. It's awesome.

This is, and always will be, one of my all time favourite RPGs. Every time I fire it up, it gives me a strange feeling in my stomach, like I'm reliving my childhood. It's awesome.

I would say it is in my Top 3 favorite non-Square RPG along with Suikoden I and II.

EDIT: Holy crap, how long are these outtakes? :p

Yazuka

He loves hearing this. At one point in his day job he was the director of a reproductive services place and teens would come in to get an exam and freak out when they heard "Ghaleon" asking them admission questions. His stories about this cracked me up, just imagining the scene from the patient's perspective.

Hehe, that sounds awesome! To me there is no other Ghaleon than John Truitt, he is so perfect in that role. Not only did he do it well, but it seems like he really enjoyed doing the roll. The one in the PSP remake sounds so boring and it was just another job for him.
You had so much heart all of you who worked on Lunar. I really do thank you for an awesome English translation.

Miguel81

I missed out on the original, but I still have Lunar 2 Complete with all of the cool little trinkets. Working Designs really put a lot into their game packages, and it must have been a labor of love for them. Anyway, I loved Eternal Blue and have to track down a decent copy of SSS Complete.

Top Bottom