• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LTTP: Lunar Silver Star Story Complete

I wouldn't say never. I believe Victor Ireland once mentioned that he was working on making it happen.

I would... it's definitely a licensing nightmare, if he can somehow manage that's great but I'd rather be incredibly negative and proven wrong than holding out hope for something like this.

Andrew.

Banned
Got my copy in yesterday. It's in good shape but it's missing the hardback manual and cloth map =(

I haven't played the game in 15 years and even then I couldn't beat it. I remember hitting a spot where the enemies were either too tough or I had to leave a dungeon without any escape items and I had nothing to heal with. Hopefully it won't be the case this time as I'd really like to finish it. It's such an excellent game and the style, soundtrack and characters just scream 90s anime nostalgia to me.

Really cool to see that Vic posts here as well.

I'm currently playing the Sega CD version and it's quite remarkable how much superior it is over the PlayStation™ version (minus graphics, natch).

I know the versions of Eternal Blue don't share the same disparity, but I've never played either (which I'm about to change).

cj_iwakura

I'm currently playing the Sega CD version and it's quite remarkable how much superior it is over the PlayStation™ version (minus graphics, natch).

I know the versions of Eternal Blue don't share the same disparity, but I've never played either (which I'm about to change).

The difference isn't as drastic in EB, especially the OST, but I sure prefer the redbook versions of the SCD music.
Blessed Town

Also, EB CD is much harder, and has a bigger world.

Andrew.

Banned
Just beat the "giant blue booger."

Pretty sure I'm over leveled for the moment. Alex and Luna just hit lvl 13.

I LOVE THIS HERE GAME

The characters have such...character.

The difference isn't as drastic in EB, especially the OST, but I sure prefer the redbook versions of the SCD music.
Blessed Town

Also, EB CD is much harder, and has a bigger world.
I'm sort of tempted to play the PlayStation™ version of Silver Star first before I jumped into my first foray with Eternal Blue, just to get a recent and very direct comparison (even though I know the general end results of the comparison from memory), but I don't know if I can torture myself with the game's glacial pacing in battles. I guess I could browse GAF or read Twitter whenever I get into a battle.

Andrew.

Banned
I never played Eternal Blue, but I remember this one kid in middle school bought it (sega CD era) and he swore by Silver Star. He was also the one that introduced me to the series.

Man I've never seen a 13 year old rage so hard at sequel disappointment. I mean this guy despised it to no end. His opinion made it seem like it was a completely different game. It seems to be well liked on GAF so I am definitely curious about it. If SSSC maintains it's bearhug on my nuts then I could totally see myself picking it up on PS1.

I have a quick question for series experts (cj?), is Lunar Magic School for Saturn worth grabbing?

I can read enough katakana/hiragana to PLAY a Japanese game (for the most part), but I'm a giant zero when it comes to kanji or reading sentences and such, so I'll miss out on the story (not that I'm too concerned with it). I know it was the last thing Studio Alex was involved with, but I'm just curious if it's actually Lunar enough to warrant playing.

Edit: One video I see on YouTube indicates that it has the remakes tendency for deadly, painfully slow battles, so that's a big negative right off.

I have fond, fond memories of watching the Making Of... to the both of the LUNAR games repeatedly when they first came out. The fact there was a 'movie' on a Playstation disc blew my mind.

I prefer Eternal Blue to Silver Star Story, but damn those were some good games. I wish I took better care of the boxes (they ended up getting crushed during a movie) and kept all the collectibles together. Still have the awesome hard-covered manuals (which I read over and over again, so beautiful), the cloth map from the first, Lucia's Pendant from the second, and some of those pop-out character pieces.

Wish we had a real LUNAR 3. :(

The PSX Lunar games have a very important place in my heart and my childhood. They are easily in my Top 10 and possibly my Top 5 games of all time. I remember being in grade school and middle school and one of the kids in my class talking about Lunar, I had an Snes and a Genesis but no SCD, and I thought he was making stuff up because he was that kid in school that lied about stuff to get people to like him. Boy I wish I had listened and gone over to his house to check it out.

When LSSSC got announced for PS1, I immediately pre-ordered it and saved my allowance to pay it off. When the game finally came out, aside from bathroom, eating and sleeping I played it straight and beat it immediately. To this day, I can probably count the number of rpgs on 1 hand with which I have done that.

I am trying to stay positive and patiently wait for the PSN releases that we haven't heard about in a while. Come on Vic bring the magic.

cj_iwakura

I have a quick question for series experts (cj?), is Lunar Magic School for Saturn worth grabbing?

I can read enough katakana/hiragana to PLAY a Japanese game (for the most part), but I'm a giant zero when it comes to kanji or reading sentences and such, so I'll miss out on the story (not that I'm too concerned with it). I know it was the last thing Studio Alex was involved with, but I'm just curious if it's actually Lunar enough to warrant playing.

Edit: One video I see on YouTube indicates that it has the remakes tendency for deadly, painfully slow battles, so that's a big negative right off.

Yep. And the battles are CONSTANT. Like, every other step.

If you can get around that, it's quite charming, and very reminiscent of the SCD Lunars.
It was Studio Alex's last game with GA, too. They broke up after MSL.

B.K.

I want to play Silver Star Story Complete again. I haven't played it in years. It's my favorite Lunar. I played it five or six times, but I could only bring myself to play through Eternal Blue Complete once. SSSC was definitely the best in the series.

Andrew.

Banned
Well I finally bested the one boss I could never beat back in 1999: that damn Vile Crustacean. That battle is the real test of seeing how well you handle not only group management, but also anticipation of attacks and item use. I died a good three or four times before I got him but I was so elated when I finally nailed IT

The game has gotten so awesome since then! I love Kyle and his relationship with Jessica. The writing is just so superbly done.

I finished up Damon's Spire last night and everyone is around level 23-24. I spent a bunch of time grinding and earning money in Myrod Woods so I might be a tad overleveled, but for this game that's fine with me. I feel like Im at a sweet spot right now where most enemies go down with zero hassle as opposed to that large chunk where if you fuck around you or someone in your party will be dead within a couple hits.

Right now Im on my way to unlock all of those red chests scattered about and to earn some more money for weapons before venturing into the Red Dragon Cave. This is easily one of the best JRPGs Ive ever played.

I do have one question: Is it worth finding all of the bromides or just a few certain ones? Do they make that much of a difference? I spent a bunch of time earning enough money to get that one ring that increases attack power +10 so if theres any that do something like that I'm bout it bout it.

LOVE THIS GAME!

Top Bottom