• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LTTP: Marvel's Jessica Jones or when a show is longer than it should be

Status
Not open for further replies.

deleted

Spoilers ahead.

Just finished the show yesterday and most of this thread is right along my opinion of it.

Had they just took all that wasted time to establish JJ and her surroundings through some other cases instead of the main one. Had they just not cast Ritter as the main character. I like her, but she's entirely misplaced here. She's great and charismatic as the bitch in App 23 - she's so much worse as a non smiling, self loathing, alcoholic super strong women. There were only a few moments in this season where she didn't feel out of place.

While Tennent was great and his powers frightening, the constant 'got him... whoops' 80s comic show villain escapes and his obsession to force JJ to admit he's just a great guy were just silly.
And everyone dealing with some kind of drug (power, love, strength... actual drugs), obsession and withdrawal was just straining after a while. Why did the soldier dude have to take 2 pills to turn around and shoot two guys? Just to make the point that he's on drugs?

And like it was said before - everyone acted like a fucking idiot! To the point where it wasn't suspension of disbelieve anymore because it was in character, but because they somehow had to think, plan and act along a plot that didn't make much sense.
And how is there so much filler, but then they just rush trough a finale with a newly introduced character (for this show) that just circumvent the normal paranoid JJ bullshit and was updated on everyone's situation extremely fast, because she just got around 10 mins of time in this show?
It didn't feel like a complete waste of time in the end, but DD was so much better, even with the already pretty bad last ep.

Korey

So Trish did all this self defense martial arts training. They made a point about it early in the show. How did that work out for her?

She was involved in several "fight" scenes and got her ass kicked every time including the last episode, except for the one instance where she took supersoldier drugs. So I don't get where they were going with that.

RangerX

Banned
I'd agree that the show is two or three episodes too long but disagree on your other cons. I loved all the performances and I thought the few action scenes were fine. I loved how dark the show was and I probably slightly preferred it to DD, which I also loved.

Azih

So Trish did all this self defense martial arts training. They made a point about it early in the show. How did that work out for her?

She was involved in several "fight" scenes and got her ass kicked every time including the last episode, except for the one instance where she took supersoldier drugs. So I don't get where they were going with that.

A bit of nihilism (she couldn't even fight off normal, though Kilgrave obsessed, Will Simpson) and also highlighting the discrepancy between normals and supers in the Marvel universe.

It was also a good foil to completely untrained but super strong Jessica Jones.

TM94

One episode to go, but I feel this is definitely worse than Daredevil.

The writing seems to boil down to Jessica saying edgy things because she's a woman with attitude. There's some cringeworthy stuff there.

Also Robyn is maybe the worst character that's ever been on TV and that's no exaggeration.

I liked it a lot but it was too long for the story being told. The Simpson subplot probably could be axed but I guess that's leading to something later. Still enjoyed it a lot. Robyn was terrible as was that whole Kilgrave Anonymous group.

Parch

I liked it but I understand the complaints about some of the writing decisions and the pacing. There were a lot of filler scenes and unnecessary episodes, but I end up saying that about every serialized TV show. Most of the time I think it's something that most seasons could have told in a 2 hour movie but TV just stretches it into a ridiculously long story.

What I really liked about it was they finally gave Purple Man a proper writing. That's something I never read in the comics. I always thought it was a very interesting villain skill but I never stumbled upon a story arc in the comics that impressed me.

I apologize in advance for the language and tone of the following post. I won't read any of the posts before or after this one until I finish the show. Which is hopefully fucking soon jesus christ.

Just have to get this out of my system because I just watched one of the last episodes (I fucking hope), where
Hope got released from jail and Killgrave took her to the restaurant to be exchanged with his dad.

THIS IS THE DUMBEST FUCKING SHOW EVER.

I'm really livid right now at how this show is turning out. It had so much potential.

EVERY. SINGLE. FUCKING. CHARACTER in this show is fucking dumb. Like they're all fucking idiots. All of them. There's not a single redeemable character that's remotely smart or takes the correct action. Jessica herself is stupid as FUCK. UGGGH.

The only character that had a sliver of promise and had the good judgement to
try and kill Killgrave before he inflicts any more damage on the world -- Simpson -- is now some weird secret agent on drugs psycho who just killed an innocent cop.
Whatttt theee fuck. UGGGHAGaadjkafhk.

ALSO, NOTE TO JESSICA: HE MAGICALLY CAN'T CONTROL YOU ANYMORE. SINCE APPARENTLY EPISODE ONE. Which, again, means all of this was pointless.
And yet SOMEHOW you continue to fail, harder than ever. Why?

HERE'S ANOTHER HINT, DUMBASS: KILL KILLGRAVE. WTF. FUCK YOUR EVIDENCE. How many people have to die before you stop trying to save Hope? By my count, at least 7 so far. How fucking dumb are you? Extremely, apparently.

OH, YOU FINALLY GOT VIDEO EVIDENCE OF HIM AFTER 10 EPISODES? How about you fucking secure that footage. Like TAKE the camera with you and put it somewhere safe? Nah, let's just leave it here unattended. Oh now psycho cop burned everything down. Great payoff for 3 episodes of nothing. Don't get me started on Trish. Or Malcolm.

Or the stupid ass
lawyer. HEY, this mind controlling psycho made my client murder both her parents and raped my friend and murdered a bunch of other people. On the other hand, he can make my ex sign my divorce papers. K I'm gonna take a chance on you. Don't let me down!!!!

Basically, they spend a couple of episodes building up towards something and taking action, and then every action they take is immediately negated or rendered useless when they inevitably fail their goal because every character participating is fucking stupid. Even when they ACTUALLY succeed, they fail.
This is the only show I've seen that's been able to pull off this fucking amazing feat.

How atrocious is the writing in this show. Good god. I'm praying to every deity that the next episode is the last. Please tell me they haven't renewed this show.

You're not wrong. The show basically shits the bed once they get him in that room. The leaps to not have that be the end of it were absurd.

Draconian

You're not wrong. The show basically shits the bed once they get him in that room. The leaps to not have that be the end of it were absurd.

Way too many shows and movies now write themselves into corners where the only way out of scenarios that they've devised is to jack up a bunch of bs and expect the audience to accept it at face value.

causan

Me and my wife just finished this last night. While we found the first couple of episodes intriguing, by the end we were just glad it was over. Now onto DD Season 2.

enigmatic_alex44

Whenever a game uses "middleware," I expect mediocrity. Just see how poor TLOU looks.
Jessica Jones was so much better imo than both seasons of Daredevil.

Positives:

- Krysten Ritter is phenomenal and the highlight of the show
- Trish is a great supporting character
- Loved the noire aesthetic
- The whole disturbing plot between Kilgrave and Jessica was unexpectedly dark, never thought family friendly Marvel would go there
- Luke Cage was fantastic

On the negative side:

- The actor playing Kilgrave did a really poor job. He was very hammy and one-note, wish they had gotten a better actor
- The neighbor subplot was awful

Both seasons of Daredevil move at such a slow pace and are really boring at times. Jessica Jones didn't have that issue.

I'd rather see Jessica Jones show up in the Infinity War movies than Daredevil tbh.

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
After watching the show, I understood Jessica Jones' super powers to be:

Super jumping and falling from high buildings
Strength of a slightly bigger than average muscular male
Alcohol tolerance

And obviously her kryptonite was 2x4s

The show was garbage because the writing was sloppy, inconsistent, and full of people who make obviously stupid decisions.

Yeah it was 6 episodes too long, but thats only cause the writing was shit, not that the source material couldn't fit. They blew their Kilgrave load way way way too early, and after they did that he just wasnt that scary. And it turned into JJ's hairbraned capture kilgrave schemes hour. Scooby Doo type shit.

For some reason the Marvel producers working on Netflix shows can't keep it in their pants. They made the exact same mistakes with DD s2 and The Punisher. Though, instead of dragging it out, they did what many bad anime do and filled time with nonsensical bullshit.

onipex

Yeah, I can't understand how people thought this was better than Daredevil season 1. JJ starts off good but ends up being a mess that goes on for too long. A few less episodes would make it a solid show.

I still don't understand her powers in this show.

Treo360

Couldn't stand the show and stopped when she was about to fly out of the country. It just didn't click like DD has.

Daingurse

Thought Jessica Jones was really solid and enjoyable. Didn't think it overstayed it's welcome. The pacing really improved for me after Kilgrave showed up. Was pretty much locked in the whole way through after that.

Ezalc

Still trying to figure out how this got a season 2 and what they're even going to do in it. It started out interesting and shit the bed really quickly. That neighbor girl was just the biggest fucking asshole jesus christ, what were they thinking making a character like that fuck.

Mifune

Mehmber
I pretty much loved the first four or five episodes. But then the show started spinning its wheels in the worst way. Overall I kinda liked it (much like how I felt about Daredevil S1) but it peaked fairly early and then never quite won me over again. Fight scenes didn't bother me (it's not an action show) but yeah, that neighbor bullshit with the support group was the absolute worst.

Curious to see what S2 is about.

Still trying to figure out how this got a season 2 and what they're even going to do in it. It started out interesting and shit the bed really quickly. That neighbor girl was just the biggest fucking asshole jesus christ, what were they thinking making a character like that fuck.

You're supposed to emphasize with Jessica at all times. She's annoyed with life and everyone she interacts with, and its designed so the viewers feel the same way.

The problem is when you give these kind of characters, a side story where they're the center of attention.

Fonz72

I'm so happy to read this thread. I feel the same way, and it's in direct contrast to how my group of friends feel about the show.

Jessica Jones for me wasn't entertaining enough as a superhero show and wasn't clever enough as a detective show. It tried to make up for the lack of one by having the other.

Tennant being amazing could only go so far, I'm not sure if I'll even watch a second season of her show unless they improve either of those aspects.

cacildo

I found it pretty funny how everybody hates JJ now....

... but it was PERFECT when it was out.

And i feel the same will happen with season 2 of Daredevil

Voidance

I completely agree with the OP. I watched 6 episodes then the finale. It was a boring 6 episodes, especially off the back of Daredevil S2, and I won't be in for S2 of JJ.

OR when it was out people who disliked it weren't posting in the threads, and now there's a thread meant for us to say 'yeah actually'. Unless there's been a trend outside of this thread.

PsychBat!

Banned
I apologize in advance for the language and tone of the following post. I won't read any of the posts before or after this one until I finish the show. Which is hopefully fucking soon jesus christ.

Just have to get this out of my system because I just watched one of the last episodes (I fucking hope), where
Hope got released from jail and Killgrave took her to the restaurant to be exchanged with his dad.

THIS IS THE DUMBEST FUCKING SHOW EVER.

I'm really livid right now at how this show is turning out. It had so much potential.

EVERY. SINGLE. FUCKING. CHARACTER in this show is fucking dumb. Like they're all fucking idiots. All of them. There's not a single redeemable character that's remotely smart or takes the correct action. Jessica herself is stupid as FUCK. UGGGH.

The only character that had a sliver of promise and had the good judgement to
try and kill Killgrave before he inflicts any more damage on the world -- Simpson -- is now some weird secret agent on drugs psycho who just killed an innocent cop.
Whatttt theee fuck. UGGGHAGaadjkafhk.

ALSO, NOTE TO JESSICA: HE MAGICALLY CAN'T CONTROL YOU ANYMORE. SINCE APPARENTLY EPISODE ONE. Which, again, means all of this was pointless.
And yet SOMEHOW you continue to fail, harder than ever. Why?

HERE'S ANOTHER HINT, DUMBASS: KILL KILLGRAVE. WTF. FUCK YOUR EVIDENCE. How many people have to die before you stop trying to save Hope? By my count, at least 7 so far. How fucking dumb are you? Extremely, apparently.

OH, YOU FINALLY GOT VIDEO EVIDENCE OF HIM AFTER 10 EPISODES? How about you fucking secure that footage. Like TAKE the camera with you and put it somewhere safe? Nah, let's just leave it here unattended. Oh now psycho cop burned everything down. Great payoff for 3 episodes of nothing. Don't get me started on Trish. Or Malcolm.

Or the stupid ass
lawyer. HEY, this mind controlling psycho made my client murder both her parents and raped my friend and murdered a bunch of other people. On the other hand, he can make my ex sign my divorce papers. K I'm gonna take a chance on you. Don't let me down!!!!

Basically, they spend a couple of episodes building up towards something and taking action, and then every action they take is immediately negated or rendered useless when they inevitably fail their goal because every character participating is fucking stupid. Even when they ACTUALLY succeed, they fail.
This is the only show I've seen that's been able to pull off this fucking amazing feat.

How atrocious is the writing in this show. Good god. I'm praying to every deity that the next episode is the last. Please tell me they haven't renewed this show.

Huh. I liked reading this. Very on the nose. The tone of this post I could give or take but yeah, what you said is very spot on to how I feel about the show now.

devilhawk

Well, unlike for Daredevil, I could not force myself to binge this show. It just wasn't good enough to do so. When people who struggled to the end finally did complete it, they posted their thoughts.

Dabanton

I don't recall everybody saying it was perfect. I also think hate is a strong word it was underwhelming. it's faults begin to pop up more broadly after episode 6 when it became clear how repetitive it was getting and how much stupid decisions the writers were having the characters do.

DD S2 was pretty damm good. Not perfect but a vast improvement on the first season. That built on existing characters and brought in new ones.

Hopefully JJ season 2 now knows what actually works. Doesn't do dumb shit like have her get knocked out cold by a 2x4 in one episode then have her be able to get straight back up from getting hit by a van in another one.

It's majorly sloppy.

I just finished the series and no one in this thread mentions the RIDICULOUS gameboy car scene that goes absolutely no where. I thought the series was OK overall but can't stack up to DD.

Permanently A

Jessica Jones was so much better imo than both seasons of Daredevil.

Positives:

- Krysten Ritter is phenomenal and the highlight of the show
- Trish is a great supporting character
- Loved the noire aesthetic
- The whole disturbing plot between Kilgrave and Jessica was unexpectedly dark, never thought family friendly Marvel would go there
- Luke Cage was fantastic

On the negative side:

- The actor playing Kilgrave did a really poor job. He was very hammy and one-note, wish they had gotten a better actor
- The neighbor subplot was awful

Both seasons of Daredevil move at such a slow pace and are really boring at times. Jessica Jones didn't have that issue.

I'd rather see Jessica Jones show up in the Infinity War movies than Daredevil tbh.

All of your opinions are from bizarro world. I simply cannot fathom how you can think Daredevil is slow but Jessica Jones isn't. Both shows could use 10 episode seasons. Also David Tennant was the best actor on the show in my opinion.

I cannot believe marvel/netflix is wasting their time with a season 2 and not something cool like Moon Knight, cancel this and Most Wanted too.

I think the only people who praise this show are people who just like it cause it has a "strong" woman in it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom