• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LTTP: Metal Gear Rising Revengeance

TheKeyPit

Banned
Watching the trailer live during E3 six years ago: What sold me immediately on the game was the freestyle slicing:
nhVv3Ru.gif

The game released ~3 years ago and I played the demo back then. I was running around like crazy in the tutorial section cutting everything to pieces. Playing through the demo multiple times I was 100% sold on the game, because of the gameplay and presentation.
But why did I purchase the game just four weeks ago?

I am a fan of the game since that E3 trailer. I was excited to finally play it, but I didn't have the time and the money to get it at its release. Somewhere along the line I bought the following and I'm wearing it pretty often:

Looking back four weeks and reading the Xbox One backwards compatibility thread I finally bought the game(~6€, a steal) in anticipation for it to eventually become backwards compatible(doubtful). Now after wrapping up my last exams for the current semester I have the time to play it.

After installing the game on my Xbox 360 I wanted to download the Cyborg Ninja DLC that I redeemed via code and I found out that Sam's Side Story and Wolf's Side Story DLC are free. Nice.

Now I'm ready to play with my 5.1 headphones(I've heard that the soundtracks are superb) while wearing the T-Shirt shown above.

Please put spoilers in spoiler-tags.

This is my first LTTP.

----------

Impressions so far:

I've played the intro which ends with the train section; wow at that Metal Gear boss fight + music. What follows is the section from the demo. Can't wait to see what comes after that. I just remembered that I was a little bit disappointed from the stealth options when I played the demo.

Update 1:
The demo boss brought back memories. Finishing off a boss with spamming horizontal/vertical slice and seeing how we falls into pieces the way you sliced is pretty cool.
Next up, after a couple of small fights, was Mistral; again: great music. I had some camera problems during the fight with lock on not working the way I wanted.
Then before I stopped playing I met Wolf, a canine cyborg. Please tell me that he's playable in the Wolf's Side Story DLC :O³

Update 2:
I just finished the Monsoon boss fight. It was a bit longer than I expected and there was a lot of parrying involved. Slicing enemies in pieces is still fun. During Zendatsu I used the right stick to aim for the enemies juice, but that cost a lot of time and now I'm just cutting off their left hand and then I'm aiming for that square while mashing horizontal/vertical slice. The combat is really satisfying when you are able to pick off the enemies one by one without getting hit.

62orT2j.gif

Update 3:
Okay. Nice tower climb escape section. Sliding into an enemy and activating Blade Mode looks really cool when Raiden lays with his back on the ground and slices up everything in his way. That's the only nice things I'm gonna say about the game after my current session. I'm at the spare parts boss fight where clones from previous bosses are attacking me and I got one problem: WHY IS THE CAMERA SO AWFUL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The previous elevator was a nightmare. The camera jerked away from my enemies making me die two times there. During the clone boss fight it got even worse with Monsoon: I couldn't lock onto him about 90% of the time letting me guess from where the next attack could come, because I couldn't see shit! I cursed like a madman and I'm not sure if I want to continue playing this right now. No checkpoint in that boss fight? FU.

The Sundowner boss fight + some bits from the cutscene afterwards made up for the problems beforehand. Everything's fine now.

3G9Bqps.gif

This game needs to become backwards compatible for the Xbox One asap. There are a lot of moments I'd like to make video clips of.

Sam boss fight: I've already died 4 times. Can't parry all his hits in his 4-hit-attack. When he has ~50% life left I'm already down to 40-60 without nano repair items. Now more than 10 deaths and I'll stop here for today. I think that I'm screwed with only 1 nano repair item at the start of the fight.
I'm worried to break my controller, because of the parrying. Constant flicking of the left stick and mashing the X-Button.

Update 4: I've defeated Sam after three additional tries. The tip, that repair items are hidden in the crates, helped a lot. The fight wasn't that hard after all.
Next up Armstrong boss fight: That was one long fight and I've managed to beat it after a couple of fails here and there. So, now I've reached the end of the game and I'm going to play the DLC Stories and give my final verdict after I've finished those.

W70Ql2o.gif

DLC: Sam's Side Story: I really like Sam's fighting style; the way he grabs the core from enemies. He has his own style. Performance in this DLC is sometimes really bad leading to low framerate during Zandatsu. Parrying somehow doesn't work for me. I'll try to parry but sometimes it works, sometimes not. This is a real problem in the fight against Armstrong. It's so bad that I needed to stop playing after dying a couple of times during that fight. If one of the core mechanics doesn't work like intended, I see no reason to continue for the time being. Another thing: Getting hit by an attack which leads to getting hit by another attack which stuns me followed by another attack. What the hell? I'm losing so much health in that process. No. Just no.

Due to a tip to do more dodging with Sam I didn't use parry once against Armstrong. I dodged all his attacks and finished the fight pretty easily. Nice to see how Sam lost his arm.

DLC: Wolf's Side Story: This is pretty much how I would have liked the main story to be in terms of stealth opportunities. Every encounter(that contributes to the fight rank) can be solved without alerting other enemies. I got about 90% of S-ranks in this DLC. I sneaked around and eliminated nearly every enemy with an execution. I liked this DLC much better than Sam's.
This was Blade Wolf I played in this DLC, right? Because I don't understand when Raiden was supposed to save him during the story. Blade Wolf had a history with Sam, but when did they meet in the timeline? I'm a little confused here.

--------------------------------------------------------

Rules of Nature:
AND THEY RUN WHEN THE SUN COMES UP
WITH THEIR LIVES ON THE LINE
ALIIIIIIIIIIIIIIVE
DON'T RUUUUN
NO CHOICE
GOTTA FOLLOW THE LAWS OF THE WIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIILD

https://youtu.be/N3472Q6kvg0?t=1m3s

--------------------------------------------------------

Final Verdict: I want to keep it short. I enjoyed the game and it was exactly how I imagined it to be. The music is exceptional, the combat is satisfying and rewarding, the boss fights are superb. It's a great action game!

I really hope this becomes backwards compatible on Xbox One, so I can play it a second time on a harder difficulty and record tons of footage.

2 would've been dope

The stealth would've been expanded on in a reasonable way, I'm sure. You still have boxes and barrels in this one though.

McNum

Oh, you're in for a ride here. Have fun. Metal Gear Ray was a fine appetizer. Welcome to the main game.

Just one thing you need to do ASAP. Go to your Codec, select Customize. From the Skills menu, buy Defensive Offense. That's your dodge move. You want that. Aerial Parry is nice to have, too.

Blueingreen

Possibly my 3rd favourite action game, unfortunately it follows the platinum games trend of not explaining certain mechanics very well or at all (vanquish, W101) parrying being that mechanic.

However the game has a surprisingly high skill ceiling and the most bat shit insane final boss fight in the history of video games bar none, seriously it's almost entirely worth playing just for the finale alone.

Angel_DvA

it was a good action game, like really but the scenario was terrible and characters pretty boring, dat last Boss though...

Possibly my 3rd favourite action game, unfortunately it follows the platinum games trend of not explaining certain mechanics very well or at all (vanquish, W101) parrying being that mechanic.

There's literally a tutorial on how to parry right at the start?

One of the best games ever. Leans heavily into a dangerous mix of Platinum and Kojima absurdity with excellent VAs and a Raiden that actually turns out to be a huge badass instead of a baby. Fantastic boss fights and combat, just a fun feeling all around through and through.

packy34

There's literally a tutorial on how to parry right at the start?

There is, but the system still sucks. Why would you map parry to the same button as attack (+ direction)? It was often unreliable for me because of that, which made it not fun. There were several unused buttons... no idea why they needed to make things arbitrarily difficult.

How do people not get parrying?
It's such a simple mechanic, too.
By that I mean "mash the analog stick in the enemies direction". No need to be precise. Just mash it repeatedly until the parry comes through.

Works in every other P* game that has it, too.

Warxard

Banned
Probably one of Platinum's most grossly overrated games so it's fitting that it's part of the Metal Gear Franchise

packy34

How do people not get parrying?
It's such a simple mechanic, too.
By that I mean "mash the analog stick in the enemies direction". No need to be precise. Just mash it repeatedly until the parry comes through.

Works in every other P* game that has it, too.

Uh, no, it's stick + attack - at an extremely specific and finicky time during the enemy attack. I hated it.

Probably one of Platinum's most grossly overrated games so it's fitting that it's part of the Metal Gear Franchise

It's officially non-canon.

Menthuss

There is, but the system still sucks. Why would you map parry to the same button as attack (+ direction)? It was often unreliable for me because of that, which made it not fun. There were several unused buttons... no idea why they needed to make things arbitrarily difficult.

I have no idea how people find the parry system difficult. You push the light attack button and move the left stick towards the incoming attack simultaneously. How is that difficult? I've got 200+ hours in the game and I think I failed to pull off maybe 3 parries ever?

Uh, no, it's stick + attack - at an extremely specific and finicky time during the enemy attack. I hated it.

The parry window is massive, what are you talking about?

It has a massive window, one of the largest parry windows that has ever been in a platinum game. You can be in mid attack and still parry if you press the buttons correctly.

packy34

I have no idea how people find the parry system difficult. You push the light attack button and move the left stick towards the incoming attack simultaneously. How is that difficult? I've got 200+ hours in the game and I think I failed to pull off maybe 3 parries ever?

It isn't difficult, it just wasn't responsive for me (on PS3). It would regularly think I was trying to attack instead of parry because of where it was mapped. It was extremely frustrating.

It's okay

I like some scenes and moments, but the core action of the game just isn't great. The game itself is overly simplistic and limiting when it comes to combat. Slicing dudes into pieces is cool, but it's just a gimmick, one that is over used far too often. If I were to play a Platinum game, this would be near the bottom of the list.

I guess I was one of those lucky ones that picked up parrying pretty easy.

Because of all the chaos happening around me at the same time I'm attacking, it was easier for me to handle because my fingers were on the direction button and the attack button.

As long as I stayed focus and anticipated the attack, instead of mash my way forward, parrying was a piece of cake.

It's okay

I like some scenes and moments, but the core action of the game just isn't great. The game itself is overly simplistic and limiting when it comes to combat. Slicing dudes into pieces is cool, but it's just a gimmick, one that is over used far too often. If I were to play a Platinum game, this would be near the bottom of the list.

Still great what they accomplished after having had to rebuild it in a year and a half.

The timing window is as huge as Hideki Kamiya's block list on Twitter, dude.
And well, I must have forgotten that you have to push the Attack button too. Which actually makes it even easier to parry while you're attacking.

It's officially non-canon.
Also the game is totally canon. Unless there's been some kind of statement that I know nothing about.
As far as I know it's just not part of the Metal Gear Solid series of games (as if that needs any more confirmation), but story-wise it's still canon and takes place some years after MGS4.

However the game has a surprisingly high skill ceiling and the most bat shit insane final boss fight in the history of video games bar none, seriously it's almost entirely worth playing just for the finale alone.

People who constantly harp on this - I wonder if they require the game literally stopping itself to hold your hand through its mechanics for hours at a time before reverting back to game at large because they lack the attention span to pause the game and read the controls? Extremely fucking sad. Thankfully Platinum respects the rest of us and our intelligence.

McNum

still never got around to this. any issues with the PC version?
The game does NOT like running slower than 60FPS on PC. Most of the game is fine, but a few critical QTEs become nigh-impossible to perform as your reaction window shrinks severely on lower FPS. Most notable being the finishing move on the final boss. But keep your graphics drivers up to date and it should run just fine.

Of course MGR is one of those games where you want to use a gamepad. Not unplayable by any means without one, but it was made around gamepad use, and it shows.

But the PC version is pretty much the definitive version of the game. The game does benefit from the CPU power of gaming PC when the amount of pieces an enemy gets cut into gets three digit.

RootCause

The initial reveal looked amazing. It really felt like a metal gear game(movement/animations). It's a darn shame it didn't get made.

With that said, what we ended up getting was pretty good. Its got some memorable boss fights. The last one was garbage. :p

That E3 trailer for Rising looked great. Action looked slow but also weighty like Raiden was putting force behind his swings. In Revengeance, there's no weight to your sword strikes. I think they got rid of the ninja wall run that Platinum showed off too.

The finished game's entirely centered around parrying rather than cutting anything. Parrying is annoying because you can't always go into the parrying stance. It only works when you're being attacked unlike say, in Dark Souls.

There's also way too much talking for an action game and the camera was a pain to deal with.

Bishop89

with how fast paced the combat is, I don't see how the freestyle slicing would have benefited the game at all.

Game is great by the way. Loved it.

RootCause

with how fast paced the combat is, I don't see how the freestyle slicing would have benefited the game at all.

Game is great by the way. Loved it.
The game would've been a lot different judging from the videos. It looked like playing your regular MGS game, but playing as the ninja. Like in VR missions.

What we got was closer to the likes of bayonetta, and ninja gaiden.

Jintor

it explains the parry mechanic fine.

what it doesn't explain is that you can parry pretty much anything that isn't a gold attack.

yes, this includes when the 20-story metal gear swings its tail at you. PARRY. THAT. SHIT.

It's okay

i wish they integrated stuff like the different weapons in better. blade-cancelling and dodge offset makes stuff more viable, but it's still really awkward to switch to the polearm or try and use the Sai....

McNum

The game would've been a lot different judging from the videos. It looked like playing your regular MGS game, but playing as the ninja. Like in VR missions.

What we got was closer to the likes of bayonetta, and ninja gaiden.
What we got was to play the Metal Gear Cutscene Ninja. All those crazy moves that Grey Fox and Raiden did in the cutscenes of MGS and MGS4? Those are gameplay moves now. Or at least something close to them.

TheKeyPit

Banned
OP will get an update shortly.

------

Oh, you're in for a ride here. Have fun. Metal Gear Ray was a fine appetizer. Welcome to the main game.

Just one thing you need to do ASAP. Go to your Codec, select Customize. From the Skills menu, buy Defensive Offense. That's your dodge move. You want that. Aerial Parry is nice to have, too.

Already done.

This game has some of my favorite boss battles ever. You're in for a treat.

They are so over the top. I really like the ones I encountered.

That E3 trailer for Rising looked great. Action looked slow but also weighty like Raiden was putting force behind his swings. In Revengeance, there's no weight to your sword strikes. I think they got rid of the ninja wall run that Platinum showed off too.

The finished game's entirely centered around parrying rather than cutting anything. Parrying is annoying because you can't always go into the parrying stance. It only works when you're being attacked unlike say, in Dark Souls.

There's also way too much talking for an action game and the camera was a pain to deal with.

It's my only gripe so far. Lock on in Mistral fight was all over the place: Somehow switching between the dwarf gekkos and Mistral. The FOV could be a little bit bigger too.

HardRojo

Fuck I loved this game back when it came out. The music was amazing, the action was amazing, the boss battles were amazing and Rules of Nature kicking in was just incredible. I need to play this again.

Ganondorfo

My cousin said this is a terrible Metal Gear because it doesnt play like the original Metal Gear Solid series. I dont agree with him, because I knew it would be a different kind of games like we are used to have with this series, because Platinumgames made it.

This game had such incredible boss fights. It's like they looked at amazing rival fights from top tier action games and just packed their game full of them.

The final boss is some of the hypest shit I've ever seen in a game. The entire fight is a masterpiece.

Blueingreen

People who constantly harp on this - I wonder if they require the game literally stopping itself to hold your hand through its mechanics for hours at a time before reverting back to game at large because they lack the attention span to pause the game and read the controls? Extremely fucking sad. Thankfully Platinum respects the rest of us and our intelligence.

I do apologise for my inferior intelligence Terrence Tao, for you see when a games most important mechanic is formally introduced 1 hour into the game with a screen prior to a boss battle coupled with an awkward button layout better suited for a 2d fighter than a 3d action game, my dense neanderthal mindset is incapable of processing this.

But nonetheless i'm the only person to acknowledge this, therefore my critique must exist only within a vacuum, regardless of how much praise I give the game.

Top Bottom