• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LTTP: Metal Gear Rising Revengeance

ArjanN

I do apologise for my inferior intelligence Terrence Tao, for you see when a games most important mechanic is formally introduced 1 hour into the game with a screen prior to a boss battle coupled with an awkward button layout better suited for a 2d fighter than a 3d action game, my dense neanderthal mindset is incapable of processing this.

But nonetheless i'm the only person to acknowledge this, therefore my critique must exist only within a vacuum, regardless of how much praise I give the game.

There's literally a VR tutorial that explains parrying before that, sure you can choose to skip it but why would you. Other people have also complained about it, but honestly as long as your halfway paying attention it's not hard to learn at all.

There's literally a VR tutorial that explains parrying before that, sure you can choose to skip it but why would you. Other people have also complained about it, but honestly as long as your halfway paying attention it's not hard to learn at all.
The blade wolf fight is also a tutorial in a way, your gonna have a hard time if you don't learn how to parry against him. I had no problems with the parry mechanic, it's actually one of the easiest in gaming, I think this guys getting mgr mixed up with dark souls or something.

royox

OP better be playing it with the music at full loudness.

"Time to leave. them. all. be-HIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIND!!!!!!!!!"

JMTHEFOX

Its a great character action game and a great standalone game, even if its not a great Metal Gear game.

I have the PC version with all DLC included, which makes it the best version.

bobawesome

A mediocre game that people propel to GODLIKE status because it was touched by the gods of game design at Platinum, the greatest development studio to ever exist.

Ruff

Love the way the music pulls in the vocals during the best parts of the fight.

The composer also did boss music for an MMO called Blade and Soul too. I was quite taken aback when I heard very MGR sounding music during a fight.

mcz117chief

How do people not get parrying?
It's such a simple mechanic, too.
By that I mean "mash the analog stick in the enemies direction". No need to be precise. Just mash it repeatedly until the parry comes through.

Works in every other P* game that has it, too.

Exactly, you are invincible if you just hold the stick up and press attack.

ArjanN

A mediocre game that people propel to GODLIKE status because it was touched by the gods of game design at Platinum, the greatest development studio to ever exist.

Sure, that's why GAF loved the new TMNT game. GTFO with this nonsense please.

Exactly, you are invincible if you just hold the stick up and press attack.

Well you can still get hit by certain attacks like grabs, and on higher difficulties the parry window becomes smaller, but yeah, on normal you can just spam it.

I played through it myself for the first time about a month ago. Loved it. It's a bit on the short side, but I liked that about it; it didn't outstay it's welcome.

It does a shit job of explaining the mechanics. The game tells you to "push the stick towards an enemy" and press attack to parry. But that suggests you can just hold towards the enemy without needing to time it. But once you get the hang of it, it's a joy to play.

mcz117chief

Well you can still get hit by certain attacks like grabs, and on higher difficulties the parry window becomes smaller, but yeah, on normal you can just spam it.

Yeah, I meant it in a very general sense. Most basic enemies will never hit you is what I meant.

Kaztinka

This game reminds me a lot of God Hand
a game by clover that barely had any budget or development time
but turned out to be one of the best action games ever made

With Revengeance you could clearly see that they had to cut some corners
but overall they've delivered a solid game with one of the most satisfying combat systems

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
Probably my favorite game of that year. Surprised the hell out of me since I'm not into Metal Gear otherwise. Still holding out hope for a sequel, but it probably isn't happening.

Hypron

It's one of my favourite games ever. My favourite PlatinumGames game for starters.

Yeah, I meant it in a very general sense. Most basic enemies will never hit you is what I meant.

You're still very likely to get hit by stray bullets, though, so if you're going for those S-ranks it's not a good technique.

The parry window is massive, what are you talking about?

The parry window is massive on lower difficulties (on Easy and Normal it's super easy to pull one off), but on higher difficulties it gets smaller and smaller (which is a good thing).

Great game

It can look very pretty on PC with some mods like sweetfx, 4k downsampling, hd face, removing that grain filter etc...

kR4wC8.jpg

ZUiMQv.jpg

01bUDR.jpg

owIMUc.jpg

WUXNuO.jpg

I don't know where I'd put it as far as Platinum's portfolio goes, but it probably has my favorite boss fights out of any of their games. You're in for a treat.

packy34

Also the game is totally canon. Unless there's been some kind of statement that I know nothing about.
As far as I know it's just not part of the Metal Gear Solid series of games (as if that needs any more confirmation), but story-wise it's still canon and takes place some years after MGS4.

Kojima stated directly multiple times after Rising released that he does not consider it part of the story. In the last official interview he gave while at Konami, he stated that the Metal Gear saga consists of Metal Gear, Metal Gear 2, MGS1/2/3/4/PW/5. Portable Ops and Rising are outside of the canon as decided by the man himself.

And the whole "it's canon but not part of the SOLID series" that I hear so much is completely ignorant of the first 2 games. Metal Gear 1 and 2 are integral to the story. The "Solid" in the title was only added to reference the series' jump to 3D platforms. "Solid" or "Rising" has nothing to do with anything; the talking point is tired.

vaderise

The sense of action is really something else in this. Level design and story is not very good but the boss fights redeems all the flaws.
Amazing game.

Sundowner is awesome.

"War crime – this, Code of Conduct – that..." /s

Coolest MGS bosses other than Snake Eater's Cobra Unit.

Kojima stated directly multiple times after Rising released that he does not consider it part of the story. In the last official interview he gave while at Konami, he stated that the Metal Gear saga consists of Metal Gear, Metal Gear 2, MGS1/2/3/4/PW/5. Portable Ops and Rising are outside of the canon as decided by the man himself.

And the whole "it's canon but not part of the SOLID series" that I hear so much is completely ignorant of the first 2 games. Metal Gear 1 and 2 are integral to the story. The "Solid" in the title was only added to reference the series' jump to 3D platforms. "Solid" or "Rising" has nothing to do with anything; the talking point is tired.

Kojima's statement was more like "Metal Gear Rising isn't part of 'my Metal Gear Saga' because I didn't direct it, and it's not how I would have done things had I made a game that took place after Metal Gear Solid 4, but it still is a continuation." So he didn't say it was non-canon, just that he didn't direct the game and that he doesn't hold it or Portable Ops in the same regard as he does the games that he did direct (which is not the same as saying "this game didn't happen in the Metal Gear storyline".

Sakujou

Banned
Bayonetta 2 is Platinum's worst game.

you dont deserve platinum, go play CS/wow/lol.

platinum has made tons of good games, iam a tad sad that turtles and korra didnt turn out good.
except those two games, every game made by them is a stellar product.

i enjoyed revengeance and bayonetta(1+2) a lot.
i also loved mad world and vanquish.

i really hope there will be revengeance 2 somewhere in the distant future.

where is this awesome gif with all the nice counterattacking and cool moves like throwing grenades n shit?

Melubas

Recently played through it myself. I thought it was ok. What it did really good was make you feel like a badass, and it had some fun mechanics and good controls. The dialogue was soooo bad though, with the usual generic japanese overexplanations and talking about a thing that could be said in one sentence for two minutes. I also thought the levels were a bit long and repetitive. Raiden
trying to sound cool when he became the ripper was also laughable, at least with the english VA, don't know if it's better in japanese.

Kthulhu

This isn't /v/ you don't have to be an ass for the japes friend

That doesn't excuse it from being an awful ass game. Like I've played better action games for $15. There's a certain amount of quality to be expected and if it isn't met then that game deserves to be called ass.

I thought it was an alright game and think the hate for it is overblown. Yeah it may be one of Platinum's worse games, but that's still decent by that metric.

Also lol at you calling out someone for shitposting after your last post in this thread.

Jintor

Recently played through it myself. I thought it was ok. What it did really good was make you feel like a badass, and it had some fun mechanics and good controls. The dialogue was soooo bad though, with the usual generic japanese overexplanations and talking about a thing that could be said in one sentence for two minutes. I also thought the levels were a bit long and repetitive. Raiden
trying to sound cool when he became the ripper was also laughable, at least with the english VA, don't know if it's better in japanese.

pretty sure that's like 80% of the point about jack lmao

packy34

Kojima's statement was more like "Metal Gear Rising isn't part of 'my Metal Gear Saga' because I didn't direct it, and it's not how I would have done things had I made a game that took place after Metal Gear Solid 4, but it still is a continuation." So he didn't say it was non-canon, just that he didn't direct the game and that he doesn't hold it or Portable Ops in the same regard as he does the games that he did direct (which is not the same as saying "this game didn't happen in the Metal Gear storyline".

I mean, if anyone gets to decide what is and isn't canon, it's him. And he does say in very clear terms in the final IGN interview which games make up the complete saga.

https://youtu.be/6yOuGmZ0THk

Lt.Chips

Only thing that's missing from this game is the secret boss, Cyborg Snake. A Metal Gear game needs a snake, after all.

Kaji AF16

It took the MGS trademark cringe-worthy moments to the extreme and turned some of the saga canon irrelevant (throwing RAY around makes legendary Enfants Terribles more than obsolete), but it also was a very fun and well crafted game. Memorable boss battles.

Regiruler

How do people not get parrying?
It's such a simple mechanic, too.
By that I mean "mash the analog stick in the enemies direction". No need to be precise. Just mash it repeatedly until the parry comes through.

Works in every other P* game that has it, too.

It's stricter in W101.

Blueingreen

Mediocre compared to what? Character action games are a very small club so that's quite a bold statement . And I'm not exactly a Platinum Stan but I respect the sentiment they're a stellar development house, I'm curious to hear your critique.

Mediocre compared to what? Character action games are a very small club so that's quite a bold statement . And I'm not exactly a Platinum Stan but I respect the sentiment they're a stellar development house, I'm curious to hear your critique.

A Platinum Stan. Please don't edit.

TheKeyPit

Banned
My house could get on fire and I wouldn't notice it while slicing away and listening to that music. Action, Action, Action!

62orT2j.gif

McNum

Ah, you've reached Monsoon. He's pretty much the final exam in parrying. If you can keep up with him, you're good for all your parrying needs for the rest of the game.

By the way, have you noticed that you can control both camera angle and cutting angle while in Blade Mode yet? You may want to aim the apex of the cut somewhere else than straight ahead for hitting difficult targets. And click the left stick while in Blade Mode. You can walk, like Raiden does in the gif in the OP, as long as you hold that down.

Top Bottom