• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LTTP: Metal Gear Rising Revengeance

TheKeyPit

Banned
Ah, you've reached Monsoon. He's pretty much the final exam in parrying. If you can keep up with him, you're good for all your parrying needs for the rest of the game.

By the way, have you noticed that you can control both camera angle and cutting angle while in Blade Mode yet? You may want to aim the apex of the cut somewhere else than straight ahead for hitting difficult targets. And click the left stick while in Blade Mode. You can walk, like Raiden does in the gif in the OP, as long as you hold that down.

I had some difficulties with his subsequent attacks. I was able to parry the first blows, but I've always screwed up the penultimate or last hits.

I know that I can control both camera angles, but moving around while in Blade Mode? :O Whaaaaat? I'll have to try that tomorrow.

Catalix

And on the sixth day the LORD David Bowie created man and woman in His image. And he saw that it was good. On the seventh day the LORD created videogames so that He might take the bloody day off for once.
The bosses are definitely way better than what we got in MSG4 and 5. These guys ooze personality. Also, those battle themes.... ^_^
Yeah, I felt the bosses in MGS4, PW and 5 were a huge letdown. More and more they seemed like phoned-in obligations as the series went on.

But The Winds of Destruction, even with their extremely limited screen time, display tons of charisma and unique personality traits. The lyrics in their battle themes also help flesh out their individual motives and backstories, an aspect I felt was sorely missing in later MGS bosses.

Yeah, I felt the bosses in MGS4, PW and 5 were a huge letdown. More and more they seemed like phoned-in obligations as the series went on.

Problem with the bosses in all those games that is that would be great as Ocelot Unit equivalents... not as Cobra Unit equivalents.

So the AIs in PW or The Skulls were cool just isolated as bosses or an enemy threat you had to deal with, but they left a disappointing void for the Cobra Unit, Cyborg Ninja, Ocelot, etc should be. The Skulls would have been received a lot better if it had a sort of defined commander, for example; the AIs if perhaps between each AI fight, there was a programmer or mechanic... essentially anything with more character (whether it was back story, art, etc).

The Skulls or the beauties and beasts were basically more like PW's AIs than human antagonists. Which, again, can still be cool in that role because cool faceless Ocelot Unit fights or mech fights are awesome, too.

But they also highlight the need for Cobra Units and renegade FOXFOUND, Sundowners and Sams, or Ocelots and Skull Faces -- plural because I think the lack of antagonists in V actually hurt Skull Face because as a schemer character type, you really need more cogs for his scheming machine.

Menitta

But The Winds of Destruction, even with their extremely limited screen time, display tons of charisma and unique personality traits. The lyrics in their battle themes also help flesh out their individual motives and backstories, an aspect I felt was sorely missing in later MGS bosses.

Idk. I liked the bosses in 4. They are by no means perfect, but they're fun. MGS4 gets a lot of hate, but I had so much fun with it.

Novocaine

It's a game I really need to revisit. I was a big fan of how dodging was replaced with parries. I remember the last boss being tough as rocks. Even with the little time I put in with it I'd say it's one of my favorite Platinum games. Need a rerelease on current gen, I don't have old systems anymore.

Incredible pacing, lunacy for a plot, and easily one of the most memorable fighting systems, encounters, scenarios, etc. Just wonderful in every way.

I doubted but then I played... It is so glorious!

awBykgb.gif

It's a got some fantastic presentation especially in the audio department but enemy variety is somewhat lacking and there's no instant weapon switching. There's still a bunch of really neat cancels and stuff like you would expect from platinum but it's not their best game.

It's got a brilliant localization though, purged Kojima's stupid insistence on stilted dialogue that ruined MGS4.

Jintor

Agreed. I found the game to be a bore. Horrid art direction, as well.

i love the boss designs and a lot of the mech designs but the war-torn world is so eh. The only cool looking place is the random japanese village in the middle of a skyscraper.

Golnei

i love the boss designs and a lot of the mech designs but the war-torn world is so eh. The only cool looking place is the random japanese village in the middle of a skyscraper.

Apart from that one room, the environments were uniformly bland. Probably one of the areas where its rushed development was most obvious; but they were definitely justified in placing the majority of their focus on the bosses and enemies.

It's got a brilliant localization though, purged Kojima's stupid insistence on stilted dialogue that ruined MGS4.

The more natural localisation stood out a lot in comparison to the main games. Especially with the surprisingly extensive codec conversations, the supporting cast were really likeable.

Jintor

Apart from that one room, the environments were uniformly bland. Probably one of the areas where its rushed development was most obvious; but they were definitely justified in placing the majority of their focus on the bosses and enemies.

The more natural localisation stood out a lot in comparison to the main games. Especially with the surprisingly extensive codec conversations, the supporting cast were really likeable.

Doktor, Black Vamp, Friender; man, the codecs were even better than MGS5 imho

I've always been on the fence about this game as the demo didn't really sell me back in the day, but man - I love hearing the enthusiasm for it so I think it's time to pick up a copy. Even if it doesn't end up being for me I just think it's cool knowing how much love it gets, so it will be cool to have in the collection.

Actually in my top 5 GOAT, best action game for sure. Play it with earphones and crank up the volume! Would love a remaster. If I would define a video game this would be the answer.

But damn first time with the final boss probably took me 5 hours. Just killzone 2 end boss that took me longer....(yes I have not played any bornesouls games)

TheKeyPit

Banned
The camera is currently not bearable for me. Update 3 in OP says why.

Edit: The Sundowner boss fight + some bits from the cutscene afterwards made up for the problems beforehand. Everything's fine now.

3G9Bqps.gif

This game needs to become backwards compatible for the Xbox One asap. There are a lot of moments I'd like to make video clips of.

Catalix

And on the sixth day the LORD David Bowie created man and woman in His image. And he saw that it was good. On the seventh day the LORD created videogames so that He might take the bloody day off for once.
Sounds like you enjoyed the Sundowner fight. How'd it go overall? Were you able to break all his shields first, or did you just keep attacking him from behind the whole time?

As for Sam, if you still feel like you'll need extra nanopastes,
bust open the wooden crates that are scattered around the field

DieH@rd

Banned
Sundowner was relativley easy for me, and it is a good tutorial for directional cutting which will be needed later on. Heck, everything will be needed at the end. :)

^^^ OP, you need to report how you managed in that room :D

When I entered I just said FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCK, and then the next few minutes [I don't know exactly how much, it felt like an eternity] was one of the most furious battles I ever had in my gaming career. I managed to finish it with a sliver of health in a first try.

Fucking amazing.

TheKeyPit

Banned
Sounds like you enjoyed the Sundowner fight. How'd it go overall? Were you able to break all his shields first, or did you just keep attacking him from behind the whole time?

As for Sam, if you still feel like you'll need extra nanopastes,
bust open the wooden crates that are scattered around the field

Everytime he put up his shields I attacked him from behind and as soon as he charged me I parried the attack and cut off two of his shields. When he grabbed that long object I just fired two or more rockets at him and he was done.

There are items in the crates during the Sam fight? Wow. This could make the fight a lot easier.

Sundowner was relativley easy for me, and it is a good tutorial for directional cutting which will be needed later on. Heck, everything will be needed at the end. :)

^^^ OP, you need to report how you managed in that room :D

When I entered I just said FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCK, and then the next few minutes [I don't know exactly how much, it felt like an eternity] was one of the most furious battles I ever had in my gaming career. I managed to finish it with a sliver of health in a first try.

Fucking amazing.

Is this about the room with the intel and melons? That was an unexpected surprise. I just activated Ripper Mode and was able to get rid of two out of three enemies with ease.

----------

I've finished it. OP is updated. On to the DLC stories.

W70Ql2o.gif

-----------

GKlTeER.gif

I can't handle another Armstrong fight. Not today.

McNum

Sam is not meant to parry nearly as much as Raiden. Sam is a dodger. His dodge is incredibly good, but his parry and riposte game is lacking. He can also be incredibly powerful when used right, but I never really got how people pull some of his things off.

Of the DLC, I prefer Wolf's more, to be honest.

Roussow

Idk. I liked the bosses in 4. They are by no means perfect, but they're fun. MGS4 gets a lot of hate, but I had so much fun with it.

You're super right. I don't particularly like the a Raven fight that much, it really drags and doesn't have a compelling hook to it -- but the Octopus, Wolf, & Mantis fights are all pretty killer. The thing is they're just awful characters, their cutscenes outside of their suits are really embarrassing, plus hearing all their depressing backstory after the camera lingers on them in such an overtly sexual manner is just kind of gross, it's pretty much prototype Quiet but without any character to back it up. All of the Liquid fights are killer though. So I guess it's more of a characterisation problem then a mechanical one.

TheKeyPit

Banned
Sam is not meant to parry nearly as much as Raiden. Sam is a dodger. His dodge is incredibly good, but his parry and riposte game is lacking. He can also be incredibly powerful when used right, but I never really got how people pull some of his things off.

Of the DLC, I prefer Wolf's more, to be honest.

I'm gonna try to dodge more and parry less tomorrow morning.

Catalix

Congrats on beating the main story. It's a short campaign for sure, but I like how easily replayable that makes it.

Armstrong usually wrecks everybody's shit the first time around. I've heard of people being stuck on him literally for HOURS. So it's good you overcame him with relatively little problem. It's one of my all time favorite final boss battles though. It's like a super hype final exam of all the skills you learned throughout the game.

For the DLC fight, definitely make sure to charge up Sam's heavy attack as much as possible when fighting Armstrong. And if you wanna cause even more damage use your taunt. Only draw back is that Armstrong becomes annoyingly agressive while in that state; might not be worth it. Depends on how confident you are in your reflexes I guess.

Armstrong usually wrecks everybody's shit the first time around. I've heard of people being stuck on him literally for HOURS. So it's good you overcame him with relatively little problem. It's one of my all time favorite final boss battles though. It's like a super hype final exam of all the skills you learned throughout the game.

People like myself that were stuck on him, started their first play through on HARD.
I'm sure his hits don't do nearly as much damage on normal.

Congrats to the OP if he took out Armstrong on HARD super quickly.
Congrats on beating the game, regardless.

McNum

^Thanks.

I'm sure someone knows if there is a wig that grants infinite power cell meter and how it can be unlocked?
There is. As for unlocking it, how do you feel about left hands? Because you're going to want... 20 of them, if I remember right. All of them gives you the Armor Breaker sword. The Armor Breaker is secretly one of the best weapons in the game. I don't think I could have beaten Revengenace difficulty without a fully upgraded one.

The Data Files give you the Stun Blade, and the illustrations in each one, of course. A couple of those are placed in some really evil places, though. I'd heavily suggest using a guide to find all hands and data files.

zoukka

I'm playing this for the first time as well. The opening was great, the characters are funny and we have an actual CODEC SYSTEM MOFOS! But after a mission or two when Raiden decides to save the kids, the story becomes pretty bad. Did he save those kids behind the glass? Suddenly his ninja reflexes seemed super slow when the doctor threatened George wtf was that cut-scene...

Still better than MGSV story lol.

Also how the fuck do I open the secret chests? I've found a bunch but you can't strike them or open them??

TheKeyPit

Banned
I'm playing this for the first time as well. The opening was great, the characters are funny and we have an actual CODEC SYSTEM MOFOS! But after a mission or two when Raiden decides to save the kids, the story becomes pretty bad. Did he save those kids behind the glass? Suddenly his ninja reflexes seemed super slow when the doctor threatened George wtf was that cut-scene...

Still better than MGSV story lol.

Also how the fuck do I open the secret chests? I've found a bunch but you can't strike them or open them??

I just looked it up, because I didn't have a clue, too: Use Blade Mode on the blue chests to cut the lock.... lol....

This is one of (second only to Bayonetta 1) my absolute favorite Platinum games, so it's always nice to see someone enjoying it for the first time. Now that you've made it through everything, I have to suggest giving the harder difficulties a try. They give the game a conserable amount of replayability simply by making you change up strategies on how you take on a lot of the enemies. The AI becomes smarter and a lot more brutal with its attacks.

Gotta agree that the stealth was kind of the low point of this game. That said, there is still some dumb, fun stuff you can do with those barrels. In the Sam DLC in particular you can sneak through entire fights by rolling past enemies in the barrel.

It's a very good game, but I found it to be significantly below Platinum's best work. (God Hand, Bayonetta, Vanquish, etc. I also prefer the Kojima Metal Gear Solid franchise to Revengeance.) I just found it to be lacking some of the depth, finesse, and elegance of Platinum's top-shelf. I thought it was obvious that it was not a Platinum work from the ground up, and ultimately a bit of a rush job.

Having said all that, it's still a damn good ride and well worth playing.

McNum

Hah, never xD
Revengeance difficulty is worth trying just once, just to see if you can make out of the tutorial alive. Imagine every single attack being a one-hit kill on Raiden. And that the enemies don't wait their turn anymore, they just come at you. And you have no upgrades since it's the tutorial.
And the first encounter is three basic grunts... and a Missile Gekko.

When I beat Revengeance, it's no exaggeration that half my deaths were in the tutorial. It's worth seeing just once, just to show how much the game can really kick your ass if it wants to.If you make it out of the tutorial, you can probably beat the whole thing.

But beating the game on that difficulty is amazingly fun once you get into the groove of perfect-parrying, since that is hilariously powerful on Revengeance. As long as you're ready to take eight times as much damage as you did on Normal. Some attacks don't do percentage damage, they're measured in how many nanopastes of damage they do. I know some bosses do 2-3 pastes of damage with their big attacks.

McNum

^This sounds so crazy that I'll have no other way than to try the tutorial on Revengeance tomorrow.
It's quite novel to have Metal Gear Ray be an actual challenge to fight. Because Revengeance demands you do it perfectly. Everything other than the machine guns is a one-hit kill on Revengeance.

Oh, a quick tip for that.
Don't cut when you get a Blade Mode chance. Hit the button to start the QTE, but make NO cuts. just drop back down. It will still take damage, but it will leave the cutting area available for QTE purposes. Otherwise, you'll run out of Ray to cut before it runs out of health. And it's very difficult to take 20% off it without those QTEs. Just fail them on purpose.

Top Bottom