• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lttp - Metal Gear Solid 2 - What the heck is going on?

Mifune

Mehmber
I loved MGS2 even more than the original. There was just so much diversity to the gameplay...that sniping chaperone sequence (way more fun than it had any right to be), bomb detecting, and the almighty analog swordfighting stuff (build a whole samurai game around these controls, Kojima, PLEASE). The plot was ridiculous, but in a really entertaining way. Easily one of my favorite games of the PS2 generation.

And now I hate to admit it, but I just CANNOT get into Snake Eater at all. It's boring, tedious, and realistic to the point where it's just not fun anymore. I mean, do I really need to treat my wounds like it's some sort of Trauma Center game? Does this enrich the experience at all? I'm not very far in, but the game is such a drag at this point, that I'm having a hard time powering through the tedium to get to the cool stuff I know comes up later. I think I'm gonna have to use a FAQ to minimize the pain.

I beat MGS2 EIGHT freaking times!! The co-op stuff with snake inside arsenal gear was fucking basdass. I don't like raiden at all but the game was awesome.

The underwater stuff was really awesome as well.

Best things about MGS2:
the underwater part
sword fights!
sword fight with solidus
the harrier fight
the tanker
the vamp
fighting multiple metal gears
the golden shower scene with raiden :lol :lol

Crappy things about MGS2
ROSE
too many conversations
Fatman
some bits of the story

Mifune

Mehmber
Damn I forgot about the underwater and Snake co-op stuff. Yeah, it was a great game.

BigBoss, I didn't realize that. But if you ignore your wounds don't you lose all your stamina or something. I really need to play this game again.

BigBoss

Mifune said:
Damn I forgot about the underwater and Snake co-op stuff. Yeah, it was a great game.

BigBoss, I didn't realize that. But if you ignore your wounds don't you lose all your stamina or something. I really need to play this game again.

You'll only lose stamina if a leech is attached to your body, if that happens you could just burn it off with Snake's cigar. You could avoid getting in leeches attached to your body by applying bug juice.

Aft Dread Pressure said:
How can one not love Fatman ? He's a fat man with rollers, and he looks and sounds retarded.
Moreover, Fatman een bom zal droppen. That is obviously SPANNUUUUND !

I thought it was immature and out of place. I don't like these wired boss fights that Kojima puts in his games... psycho mantis (bleh), fatman (@%@#$), the pain in MGS3... all three of them are totally retarded and I loathe them

I hope there aren't any retarded boss characters in mgs4 which looks macho serious compared to other mgs games hopefully the ZOE2 guy will prevent kojima from adding retarded characters

BigBoss

Doom_Bringer said:
I thought it was immature and out of place. I don't like these wired boss fights that Kojima puts in his games... psycho mantis (bleh), fatman (@%@#$), the pain in MGS3... all three of them are totally retarded and I loathe them

I hope there aren't any retarded boss characters in mgs4 which looks macho serious compared to other mgs games hopefully the ZOE2 guy will prevent kojima from adding retarded characters

How can you hate Psycho Mantis?

BigBoss said:
How can you hate Psycho Mantis?

He was strange and out of place! I felt like he didn't belong in the mgs universe... a guy physic abilities floating in the air... I was like WTF?? Get this shit out of here.

The only cool line he had in the game was when Meryl runs away after killing the soldiers alongside snake and Physco mantis appears saying “Good Girl…. Just like that” I thought that was pretty cool

the end was rather weak
you didnt even see how the arsenal crashed into manhattan....
and snake shows up at the end....only to disappear into the crowd
and the tourist videos of NY and federal hall...omfg the videos.....WERE INCREDIBLY LAME
the theme of mass social control and deception was intriguing, but ruined by convoluted plot twists and character double crossings

MGS3 story was leaps and bounds better and more epic that MGS2 story. Heres to hopin that MGS4 will be more like an MGS3-style of game rather than MGS2

BigBoss

Doom_Bringer said:
He was strange and out of place! I felt like he didn't belong in the mgs universe... a guy physic abilities floating in the air... I was like WTF?? Get this shit out of here.

How is he out of place? The MGS universe is filled with characters that have supernatural abilities.

Aft Dread Pressure said:
How can one not love Fatman ? He's a fat man with rollers, and he looks and sounds retarded.
Moreover, Fatman een bom zal droppen. That is obviously SPANNUUUUND !
i loved fatman battle.....pretty damn fast and challenging. fatman was a cool boss too IMO

BigBoss said:
How is he out of place? The MGS universe is filled with characters that have supernatural abilities.

Most of the characters are cool and sci fi and I like that. I also didn't like The Sorrow, that battle was fucked up.

I like GrayFox, Niaomi, Liquid Snake, Ocelot (especially the young ocelot), The Boss, Solidus, Snake, Otacon, Vamp etc.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
Doom_Bringer said:

The only cool line he had in the game was when Meryl runs away after killing the soldiers alongside snake and Physco mantis appears saying “Good Girl…. Just like that” I thought that was pretty cool
shit man, Psycho Mantis rocked.

flame me all you want but excluding The Boss from MGS3, MGS1 had the best cast of villians of all three games.

Vulcan Raven
Psycho Mantis
Sniper Wolf
Gray Fox
Liquid Snake
Revolver Ocelot

all of them were awesome.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Doom_Bringer... you sure you don't want Splinter Cell?

MGS is like Anime, with all the wackiness that brings.

BigBoss

Doom_Bringer said:
Most of the characters are cool and sci fi and I like that. I also didn't like The Sorrow, that battle was fucked up.

I like GrayFox, Niaomi, Liquid Snake, Ocelot (especially the young ocelot), The Boss, Solidus, Snake, Otacon, Vamp etc.

You mention Vamp and his chartacter is as supernatural as it gets, he can't die and he runs on water, theres no scientific explanation for him.

BocoDragon said:
Doom_Bringer... you sure you don't want Splinter Cell?

MGS is like Anime, with all the wackiness that brings.
i always thought of MGS as embodying the Konami trademarks of outrageous characters and stories.....like silent hill and contra

fuck splinter cell, I worship metal gear. There are few games I love and totally get addicted to during the first play through and MGS is one of those games.

I like Splinter Cell and Hitman too though! But they don't compare to the greatness of MGS

Calidor said:
I finished the game a few weeks ago.. can anyone explain me the ending without spoiling MGS3?

who were the patriots? why are all 12 dead since 100 years ago? who killed them? WTF?

i guess those are things that maybe addressed in MGS4

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
If you are having trouble with injuries and stuff, you may be playing the game like I was initally: the wrong way. I absolutley hated having to constantly remove the bullets! I was getting shot up like a heroin junkie (bu dum pish).

If you sneak around properly, you can really minimize injuries. My second time through MGS3 (the only time in which I finished it-- subsistence versiron) I enjoyed it SO much more because the camera allowed me to properly sneak and get a grasp of my surroundings. I would leave trails of knocked-out soldiers.

Man, MGS3 original release...I was so terrible. I couldn't go or do anything without alerting all of Russia.

BigBoss said:
You mention Vamp and his chartacter is as supernatural as it gets, he can't die and he runs on water, theres no scientific explanation for him.

yeah but he was cool! I will never forget the scene where he takes out all those soldiers when you first meet him... that was totally fucking awesome.

And then there is the sniper part where you have to guide ema and he kills her... the battle was really cool as well.

Vamp is a cool character.

Error2k4 said:
shit man, Psycho Mantis rocked.

flame me all you want but excluding The Boss from MGS3, MGS1 had the best cast of villians of all three games.

Vulcan Raven
Psycho Mantis
Sniper Wolf
Gray Fox
Liquid Snake
Revolver Ocelot

all of them were awesome.

The Boss overrides them all

metal-gear-solid-3-snake-eater-20041116033034872.jpg

metal-gear-solid-3-snake-eater-20041116033038012.jpg

Y2Kev

The ONLY problem I had with the boss was that she kicked Snake's ass throughout the entire game (like SERIOUS ass kicking) and then all of a sudden you can counter her in that final battle.

I can think of lots of explanations as to why in my head....like the entire game Snake was afraid to hurt her or in the end perhaps she let Snake have a chance....but she should have easily killed him. Obliterated him even.

Error

that's why I said excluding.

I didn't like Solidus though, compared to Liquid he was shit.

Y2Kevbug11 said:
The ONLY problem I had with the boss was that she kicked Snake's ass throughout the entire game (like SERIOUS ass kicking) and then all of a sudden you can counter her in that final battle.

I can think of lots of explanations as to why in my head....like the entire game Snake was afraid to hurt her or in the end perhaps she let Snake have a chance....but she should have easily killed him. Obliterated him even.

Snake wasn't afraid to hurt her, he just didn't understand what was going on. Like he said they had something that went very deep. In the end though he realised that he had no choice because she finally put him in a kill or be killed situation. Before she was just trying to hurt him so that he'd leave. I think she always knew that he could kill her but it was a matter of getting it out of him which is what she'd been trying to do. You can't bring your emotions onto the battlefield.

Y2Kev

SolidSnakex said:
Snake wasn't afraid to hurt her, he just didn't understand what was going on. Like he said they had something that went very deep. In the end though he realised that he had no choice because she finally put him in a kill or be killed situation. Before she was just trying to hurt him so that he'd leave. I think she always knew that he could kill her but it was a matter of getting it out of him which is what she'd been trying to do. You can't bring your emotions onto the battlefield.

Well, yeah, I kind of mentioned that in thinking that he was almost afraid to hurt her. He did have very profound feelings for her.

But I still would have liked at least a scene where Snake at least didn't get destroyed.

*Boss walks up to snake and takes his gun apart and eats it*

Doom_Bringer said:

This is what I don't get.

You're a cloned super soldier with super soldier genes fighting (among others) a gay vampire guy who has been killed multiple times, a woman who cannot die, a Russian with your genetically engineered super soldier brothers hand grafted onto him that can take over him at will, a psychic, a crazy inuit who can hold a MINIGUN, a fatty on rollerskates, multiple siblings and fathers that all look like you, a psychic dead seer dude, a guy who is like an ancient sniper, a guy who controls bees, a flying space man pyro who went crazier than John Glen, all the while the most consistent thing about the enemies is they all enjoy fighting for people who own gigantic fucking bipedal robots.

And somehow, something unrealistic doesn't fit into this universe?

Doom_Bringer said:
My fav chracter are
Ocelot
and
Liquid Snake

I think they killed Liquid a bit early...
liquid was such a weak boss.....aside from the hind battle, the final fight with him was a complete pushover...too damn easy

if liquid comes back in MGS4, i hope hes been eating his wheaties and packin on some bigger muscles.....

Kreuzader

Y2Kevbug11 said:
Well, yeah, I kind of mentioned that in thinking that he was almost afraid to hurt her. He did have very profound feelings for her.

But I still would have liked at least a scene where Snake at least didn't get destroyed.

I think their fight in the Shagohod hanger bay was meant to show Snake was getting better at fighting her - he almost slashes her throat with his knife, and the fight only ends when Ocelot steps in.

teacupcopter said:
This is what I don't get.

You're a cloned super soldier with super soldier genes fighting (among others) a gay vampire guy who has been killed multiple times, a woman who cannot die, a Russian with your genetically engineered super soldier brothers hand grafted onto him that can take over him at will, a psychic, a crazy inuit who can hold a MINIGUN, a fatty on rollerskates, multiple siblings and fathers that all look like you, a psychic dead seer dude, a guy who is like an ancient sniper, a guy who controls bees, a flying space man pyro who went crazier than John Glen, all the while the most consistent thing about the enemies is they all enjoy fighting for people who own gigantic fucking bipedal robots.

And somehow, something unrealistic doesn't fit into this universe?

:lol you own3d me dude. I have nothing left to say..

Y2Kev

Kreuzader said:
I think their fight in the Shagohod hanger bay was meant to show Snake was getting better at fighting her - he almost slashes her throat with his knife, and the fight only ends when Ocelot steps in.

I thought the part when they ended up looking directly at each other....at eye level....that was awesome.

Error2k4 said:
that's why I said excluding.

You can't exclude the best character in the Solid series. :)

Y2Kevbug11 said:

She does that to everyone. She gave Volgin a little spin when he tried to shoot Snake in the head, and took his gun in the process. That's what made her such a great character, out of everyone in the game she was the only one that didn't show any fear toward anyone or anything.

Red Scarlet

Drakken said:
(Spoilers for those who haven't played MGS2 obviously)

The last hour has consisted of probably the weirdest and most amusing gaming experience I've ever had. First, Raiden's running around naked. Then, the Colonel tells me that I've been playing too long and to turn off my console. Then, he tells me that aliens abducted him or something. Then, he starts calling every 20 seconds with a bunch of amusing gibberish. Then, I look up at my radar only to see some woman has replaced it. Then, I find out Rose is a spy. Then, "FISSION MAILED!" What the heck?

I know for 75% of you this is old stuff, but this is my first time playing through the MGS series, and this has all been so weird that I just had to post about it.

EDIT: Ah, so I'm very near the end?

Haha, that part's awesome. Crazy Colonel rocks!

BigBoss

SolidSnakex said:
He was with Scott and Fortune, so yah he's bi. And not only is he bi, but he likes to keep it in the family. He should check out Otacon.

Are you sure he was with Fortune? The seemed to have more of a brother/sister relationship.

BigBoss said:
Are you sure he was with Fortune? The seemed to have more of a brother/sister relationship.

They could've been just like brother/sister but its been widely speculated that they were more than just that.

And Scott is the commander on the tanker that gets shot by Ocelot. He's also Fortune's dad.

Error

SolidSnakex said:
They could've been just like brother/sister but its been widely speculated that they were more than just that.

And Scott is the commander on the tanker that gets shot by Ocelot. He's also Fortune's dad.
oh I remember now, it's been years since I play that game.

Johnas

SolidSnakex said:
Before she was just trying to hurt him so that he'd leave.

Maybe I misunderstood you (and I don't mean to take part of your quote out of context, I just boiled it down to this part for clarity) but
I never thought The Boss ever tried to get Snake to leave. She couldn't have accomplished her mission if he had (getting her life ended by her most beloved disciple, the last part of the final mission the Patriots gave her). I always viewed it as The Boss doing what she felt like she had to do to egg him on, as well as keep up the appearance that she actually had defected. I don't think she ever did any of that with the intent of making him leave.

Top Bottom