• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LttP: Metal Gear Solid

Neiteio

Any tips for getting to the top of the communications tower? There's no way to get past this one camera, and I can't seem to shake the guards. There's too many of them as I climb the stairs — I killed dozens of them, but in the end they always outlast my rations.

Any tips for getting to the top of the communications tower? There's no way to get past this one camera, and I can't seem to shake the guards. There's too many of them as I climb the stairs — I killed dozens of them, but in the end they always outlast my rations.

Stun grenades, stun grenades, stun grenades. If you have the body armour, equip it, and then just throw a stun grenade, run until it wears off, then throw another. It doesn't matter where you throw them; they essentially just blow up the whole screen.

Try using Stun Grenades as you run up the long flight of stairs. That should help for a while until you run out of them.

Neiteio

Stun grenades, stun grenades, stun grenades. If you have the body armour, equip it, and then just throw a stun grenade, run until it wears off, then throw another. It doesn't matter where you throw them; they essentially just blow up the whole screen.

Try using Stun Grenades as you run up the long flight of stairs. That should help for a while until you run out of them.
Yeah, I wound up using this strategy. Worked wonders!

But now I'm stuck on the Hind. Any tips here? I try sandwiching myself between the radiators and locking on from there, but it's hard to avoid his gunfire.

But now I'm stuck on the Hind. Any tips here? I try sandwiching myself between the radiators and locking on from there, but it's hard to avoid his gunfire.

Do you mean you're fighting against the Hind? If so, then focus on the radar to see where the Hind is so you're ready for it. As soon as it surfaces, equip your weapon, lock on and fire, and then hide behind something to avoid its gun.

You need to be quick and to help with this, it's recommended that you use the button that allows you to instantly equip/un-equip your current weapon. I assume you know how to do this.

Neiteio

Do you mean you're fighting against the Hind? If so, then focus on the radar to see where the Hind is so you're ready for it. As soon as it surfaces, equip your weapon, lock on and fire, and then hide behind something to avoid its gun.

You need to be quick and to help with this, it's recommended that you use the button that allows you to instantly equip/un-equip your current weapon. I assume you know how to do this.
I beat Hind. I ended up figuring out a different strategy. First, look at where his dot is on the radar. Next, run in front of him, and when he starts to fire at you, take cover. Then, run out and lock on with the Stinger while he's cooling down.

Essentially, I kept running out into the open to lure him into firing, then I shot him afterward. Worked well!

I beat Hind. I ended up figuring out a different strategy. First, look at where his dot is on the radar. Next, run in front of him, and when he starts to fire at you, take cover. Then, run out and lock on with the Stinger while he's cooling down.

Essentially, I kept running out into the open to lure him into firing, then I shot him afterward. Worked well!

That's great. I never thought of a strategy like that because I felt it'd be too risky. Glad it worked for you.

I have played through and beaten this game like a hundred times and didn't know that. The little touches are what make the MGS series so awesome to me.

It's something that started in the first MSX game, you couldn't knock but you can punch. Does Zelda 1 do this or was it added later?

Neiteio

This being a Kojima game, I went into first-person view with Meryl and stared at her low-poly, blurry-textured boobs, just to see if something would happen. And sure enough, Meryl had multiple scolding comments for Snake. Nice to see Kojima was still a perv back then, lol.

Also, is there any way to beat him without switching controllers?

There are two ways actually. One is to just brute force the fight, every 5th or 6th attack will actually hit him. Of course it's very tedious and after the fight Mantis still says you used the other port, which is really disappointing.

The second way, like someone already said, is to destroy the two statues in the upper left and upper right, but it's a bit more involved than that. At first, the statues are indestructible, first you have to call Campbell until he explicitly tells you to use the second controller port. Then you have to die. During the next attempt, you can destroy the statues. Calling Campbell again will also get him to tell you why this is effective against Mantis.

And a little fun fact: If you have saves of either Silent Hill, Symphony of the Night or Suikoden on your memory card, Mantis will acknowledge this prior to the fight. In the japanese version, if you have saves of both Snatcher and Policenauts, you get a voice message from Kojima himself, thanking you for your support.

Neiteio

Just beat Sniper Wolf in the snowfield. I started out despising this battle, but it was fun once I figured out a good strategy. Managed to defeat her on my second or third try.

Here's what I did, in case I need to remind myself on a future playthrough:

- Immediately move to the tree in the lower left corner
- Lie down to the left of it
- Equip body armor (retrieved from lv. 6 room in gas hall)
- Stare down sniper scope
- Look up, above the snowdrift straight ahead — you'll see a the tree, next to a door with a red light and "N-A1"

Wolf will periodically take cover behind that tree. Pop a tranquilizer pill and shoot her when she peeks out, and when you run out of ammo, un-equip your rifle and grab the ammo box right next to you. If she manages to hit you, un-equip your rifle and reorient yourself so you're facing forward again. Then zoom in with the scope and look up and over the snowdrift.

From this position, it seems she can only hit you from two points: When she peeks out behind the tree I described (and even then, if she peeks out the left side, you can hit her by targeting a vulnerable pixel atop her head, while she can't shoot past the snowdrift), or by moving to the right and shooting you from the wide open.

At any rate, it's simple enough once I learned this trick. Suitably intense, with the narrow field of view and trembling hands hardly offset by pills... although I can't help but think these sniper encounters could've been designed better, even within the limitations of PSX-era tech and design knowledge.

Even so, it was a memorable set-piece. Onwards!

Even so, it was a memorable set-piece. Onwards!

You can also beat her with the Nikita missiles. There's an area of sloped ground off to one side of the battlefield that leads up to the higher ground where she is, so you can stay behind cover for the entire fight and just steer missiles over to blow her up :p

Neiteio

You can also beat her with the Nikita missiles. There's an area of sloped ground off to one side of the battlefield that leads up to the higher ground where she is, so you can stay behind cover for the entire fight and just steer missiles over to blow her up :p
Whoa, that's awesome! And hilarious. :D

Neiteio

Claymores, hidden indoors, in a room with jammed radar, with no indication you should be crawling on the lookout for mines... Seriously? LOL

This is between the two cargo elevators, btw. I suspect Raven is coming up in a moment.

Claymores, hidden indoors, in a room with jammed radar, with no indication you should be crawling on the lookout for mines... Seriously? LOL

This is between the two cargo elevators, btw. I suspect Raven is coming up in a moment.

That was really brutal and not something I liked :p I hope you used your thermal goggles after that 'surprise'.

Now on my 20th attempt of the Liquid fist fight...

What's the main thing about this fight that you're having difficulty with?

Neiteio

Holy shit, I'm raging internally. He keeps starting his counter stance -after- I'm locked in my CQC loop. He raises his hands -after-. How can that even be avoided?

The hidden Claymores and gun cameras everywhere in the latter half of the game can be a serious drag. Worst thing is you always forget they're going to be there on replays, too :p

Holy shit, I'm raging internally. He keeps starting his counter stance -after- I'm locked in my CQC loop. He raises his hands -after-. How can that even be avoided?

I think the pro move is to just stick with the first two punches of the CQC combo, don't go for the kick.

What would the thermals do?

When you have thermals equipped, you can see the floor traps, claymores, etc.

He keeps i-framing me to death

Give him a few punches and move away since he has that invincibility. Keep doing that - punch and then move around until you can punch him again. Also when he's in a corner, don't punch him there but lure him out - and make sure you avoid his move where he tries to ram into you from a distance.

EDIT: matrix-cat explained it better.

Neiteio

I think the pro move is to just stick with the first two punches of the CQC combo, don't go for the kick.
Sigh, I've already tried like 50 times. I think I beat the hardest bosses in Bloodborne faster than this.

I'll give it 20 more attempts. I get him down to his last quarter and than he starts getting i-frames after every hit, it seems.

Serpico99

It's better that I give you my overall history with the series. I started with MGS4 back in 2008. It was my first PS3 game — and the PS3, in turn, was my first non-Nintendo system.

Then I played Metal Gear RIsing. Then MGSV, both Ground Zeroes and The Phantom Pain. Roughly 200 hours on the latter!

Recently, I picked up the Legacy Collection on PS3. I beat MGS3, I'm working toward the true ending in Peace Walker, and now I'm also playing MGS1, with MGS2 to follow.

I should note, I already know the story to each game. I watched every cutscene and codec prior to playing MGS4, and watched every doc and read every essay I could find, too!

I want some MGS2 impressions. That is the real video game experience.

Neiteio

Normal
18:03:30
25 saves
85 continues
61 alerts
151 kills
158 rations used
ELEPHANT

So re: Liquid, something that helped was to stand back and let him do his bull rush every time he recovered from the ledge.

I also had some trouble with Rex's second phase, until I realized he can't see you when you stand directly under him. Soon enough he stands still, allowing you to easily shoot his jaw with the Stinger.

I want some MGS2 impressions. That is the real video game experience.
Sure thing, but I already know the story of MGS2, so don't expect me to be surprised by stuff like the false colonel, etc.

Speaking of story, I hadn't seen MGS1's post-credits stinger until now. That's neat they clarify who had the inferior genes, and drop the bombshell with Ocelot that Solidus is the third child and the current president.

I imagine MGS1 fans were hyped out of their minds for the sequel, eh?

Zukuu

Banned
Wait, there are multiple endings??
Yes. It depends if you give up during torture or not (if I remember correctly). If you give up you ride with Otacon at the end and get his stealth suit as reward (very fun item, since you can evade almost all enemies. They will even start to notice that you wear it and comment on it). I think that means Meryl dies tho.

For Meryl ending you get the infinit-ammo-bandana.

There are also various easter-eggs in the game. e.g. If you rush into the bathroom where Meryl is, she has had no time to put pants on.
313316.jpg

Or when you crawl into the vent at the start in search of the DARPA chief and you see Meryl exercising, crawl back out and back in and she will do a different exercise. On the 4th time, she is also pantless. :3

Not to mention the sheer endless codec-easter-eggs (call Mei Ling 6 times but don't save :p).

edit: Forgot to say, MGS 1 is by far my favorite. Finished that with a friend about 18 times or so. We were so good and knew everything, we could finish the game in under 80 or 90 minutes. Even played Twin-Snakes two years ago with him (Game is so dumb compared to PSX original).

Wait, there are multiple endings??

Yeah. At first, I thought submitting to the torture would either be a game over or have an ending with Snake all alone, but it leads to a hopeful Otacon ending, which I liked even more when seeing the Tanker part of MGS2 with Snake and Otacon.

Neiteio

Seriously, though, what a great game.

I played the entire game with the d-pad, and aside from some occasional frustration pursuing Liquid during the fistfight, the controls and camerawork felt great. The movement felt so solid that I didn't mind backtracking to the warehouse and the blast furnace for the cold and hot PAL keys.

I think the sniper scope could be a bit better, between the trembling hands/pill dependency, the extremely narrow FOV, the slow turning, the inability to zoom out, and the way getting shot throws you off... But at the same time, it was suitably intense, and I can see how many of these frustrating limitations were intentional ("Master" even comments on the narrow FOV and using the binoculars to compensate).

Otherwise, a fairly smooth experience, with impeccable pacing and nonstop variety, and downtime between the boss battles to provide contrast, not to mention smart scenario writing and strong character arcs that imbue everything with memorable melodrama.

I can pretty much recall every setpiece offhand: bombing the secret walls; the Ocelot shootout in the room rigged to explode; using cigarettes to reveal the infrared sensors; crawling through the minefields; the M1 battle (a skill check for chaff grenades); the gas hallway, using the Nikita guided missiles to shut down the electric floor; the CQC fight with Gray Fox; tracking the disguised Meryl; Psycho Mantis breaking the fourth wall; the NVG cave with the wolves; the sniper standoff with Wolf leading to the tower; Snake's capture, torture, and calling Otacon for the ketchup you use as fake blood to trick the guard; the foot chase up the com tower, rappelling down Tower A and climbing Tower B to shoot down Liquid's Hind D; the stealth ambush in the elevator; the snowfield shootout with Wolf; blasting the crane so you can sidle along the ledge in the blast furnace; the game of cat and mouse with Vulcan Raven in the warehouse; securing the three keys, the Rex battle and Liquid fight; and finally the vehicle/turret sequence.

The fact I remember all this, and rather fondly, is impressive indeed. I have no nostalgia for this game or the PS1, but I thoroughly enjoyed my time with MGS1.

Mgs is easily the best one. Amazing story, great world building without too much convulted bullshit. Set in a near futurists world with believable tech.

Neiteio

You nicely summed up how I felt about this game, both the things I liked and disliked. An overall fantastic game.
I think these are my current overall rankings:

1) MGSV (GZ + TPP)
2) MGS1
3) Peace Walker
4) MGS3
5) MGS4

Storywise, MGS3 is probably my favorite. But MGSV is a gameplay achievement rivaling Super Mario 64, in terms of how fun it is to play relative to the standards of its time.

MGS2 is the next one I'll play. I have a good feeling about it based on the little I played.

I think these are my current overall rankings:

1) MGSV (GZ + TPP)
2) MGS1
3) Peace Walker
4) MGS3
5) MGS4

I see. Those are good rankings. MGS4 is the lowest to me too.

Storywise, MGS3 is probably my favorite. But MGSV is a gameplay achievement rivaling Super Mario 64, in terms of how fun it is to play relative to the standards of its time.

I agree - MGS3's story was great and how it all played out felt really emotional and fun at the same time. MGSV's gameplay is so addictive - I could play multiple new games built around that same smooth gameplay.

MGS2 is the next one I'll play. I have a good feeling about it based on the little I played.

Nice. I hope you enjoy it - I think you'll especially enjoy the first part, partly because of some nice callbacks to MGS1.

Neiteio

I see. Those are good rankings. MGS4 is the lowest to me too.
Yeah, I like MGS4, but it would be so much better if it had some restraint with its cutscenes. It feels so uneven and unwieldy.

I agree - MGS3's story was great and how it all played out felt really emotional and fun at the same time. MGSV's gameplay is so addictive - I could play multiple new games built around that same smooth gameplay.
Exactly how I feel. :)

Nice. I hope you enjoy it - I think you'll especially enjoy the first part, partly because of some nice callbacks to MGS1.
With MGS2, I'm interested to play as Raiden. I love his character after playing Rising, so I'm interested to dig into his pre-cyborg days.

Yeah, I like MGS4, but it would be so much better if it had some restraint with its cutscenes. It feels so uneven and unwieldy.

Yeah, a better balance of gameplay and cutscenes would go a long way to improve things.

With MGS2, I'm interested to play as Raiden. I love his character after playing Rising, so I'm interested to dig into his pre-cyborg days.

Yeah, it will be very interesting for you to see what Raiden's like and the characters he interacts with. I am very interested to read your thoughts on MGS2 whenever you play it..

Ahhh.. the atmosphere in MGS is perfect, the purple snow fields and the sense of isolation in the enemy military base was nailed so good.

I enjoy playing this now as much as I did back in the 90s.

Neiteio

I think I'll be starting MGS2 in a couple hours, playing in HD on the Legacy Collection. Any tips before I get started?

I think I'll be starting MGS2 in a couple hours, playing in HD on the Legacy Collection. Any tips before I get started?

Nice! I can't think of any tips to get you started, only that you have a choice to play without the radar in the options, but I suggest that you don't do that.

Top Bottom