• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LTTP: Star Wars Saga [Updated as I watch]

Status
Not open for further replies.

sploatee

formerly Oynox Slider
Dudes, NO SPOILERS!!!!

Enjoy, OP! Wonderful saga and even at its most awkward and shambling (ahem prequels), its always a spectacle and always watchable.

I think that the first one (yes, yes, Ep 4) has probably aged the most and it seems very much designed to be a self-contained story rather than establishing a saga, but it's still great. I must have watched it daily between about ages 5 and 10.

Retro

You mean phoning in the reading^^

Well, we already know from his letters and comments that his work on Star Wars was phoned in and he considered the whole thing "rubbish" and his character "unbearable." No, what I mean is Alec Guinness sitting in a recording booth with a cup of tea, litreally reading from a telephone directory.

Sephzilla

New Hope is a better movie.

George was out ideas, a second Death Star at the end of the same trilogy. I will admit the final space battle is stunning but still...
Endor was filler, Ewoks were clearly created to sell toys.
Han kinda stinks in this one because once he throws completely in with the good guys his charm is lost.

Luke confronting his Father is great, but its not enough to save the movie.

1) If you're the Empire and you just lost your giant super weapon to one design flaw, why don't you just rebuild the super weapon and fix the flaw?

2) If I was an Imperial I would say "lets build our shield generator on a planet full of teddy bears instead of a planet full of much more hostile looking indigenous life". The Empire underestimate the Ewoks, just like they seem to underestimate the Rebellion.

3) Yeah, Han's kind of boring once they leave Tattooine. I'll still take that over their original idea (killing Han in kind of a pointless way).

4) The Emperor's Throne Room is probably the best thing in the entire franchise (I'd argue it's better than Vader vs Luke in Cloud City)

I think ROTJ gets a lot more hate than it deserves

Cheebo

Banned
yes, The Clone Wars animated series is a MUST watch after the films. It canonical with the films and better than many of the films. It starts slow but by season 3 is arguably the best content in the franchise since The Empire Strikes Back.

chaosaeon

Not sure how hard it would be to find, but maybe look into the Despecialized editions. To grossly understate the work that I'm sure went into them, they're like a bluray version without all the added nonsense no one asked for (even things that were added back in the special edition VHS days, so a lot of nonsense taken out. If you're watching anything other than an original VHS tape, I can't wait to hear your thoughts on a particular scene added early in RoTJ that's just laughably bad.

Although, it really bothers me that the despecialized version of V went back to 'potential spoilers for OP'
the old palpatine. I actually liked that the DVD releases onward changed the hologram for continuity sake. It's one of the only times I thought it was improved by an alteration. I really wish the despec version hadn't gone back to the old one. It doesn't look like the emperor at all and makes me cringe at the makeup job as well. It sticks out like a sore thumb.

Oersted

1) If you're the Empire and you just lost your giant super weapon to one design flaw, why don't you just rebuild the super weapon and fix the flaw?

2) If I was an Imperial I would say "lets build our shield generator on a planet full of teddy bears instead of a planet full of much more hostile looking indigenous life". The Empire underestimate the Ewoks, just like they seem to underestimate the Rebellion.

3) Yeah, Han's kind of boring once they leave Tattooine. I'll still take that over their original idea (killing Han in kind of a pointless way).

4) The Emperor's Throne Room is probably the best thing in the entire franchise (I'd argue it's better than Vader vs Luke in Cloud City)

I think ROTJ gets a lot more hate than it deserves

1) Death Star 2 has the exact same design flaw. In bigger. And had a added one with the outside shield generator.
2) First: What is the Stormtrooper armor protecting against? It obviously doesn't help against sticks, stones, blasters, laserswords and in fisticuffs with teddybears. Who designs junk like that? Brainless monkeys?
3) What is the room for? Its a barely lit hideout with no defense/communication system.

Well, we already know from his letters and comments that his work on Star Wars was phoned in and he considered the whole thing "rubbish" and his character "unbearable." No, what I mean is Alec Guinness sitting in a recording booth with a cup of tea, litreally reading from a telephone directory.

All things considered, I fail to see your point. Its badly written and he phoned it in.

Retro

All things considered, I fail to see your point. Its badly written and he phoned it in.

That is my point, it's absolutely badly written and he totally phoned it in, but it's still better than Hayden Christensen.

We're on the same page here, basically.

EGM1966

1) Death Star 2 has the exact same design flaw. In bigger. And had a added one with the outside shield generator.
2) First: What is the Stormtrooper armor protecting against? It obviously doesn't help against sticks, stones, blasters, laserswords and in fisticuffs with teddybears. Who designs junk like that? Brainless monkeys?
3) What is the room for? Its a barely lit hideout with no defense/communication system.

Alec Guiness phoning in a performance is still a better performance than 99% of actors then or now though.

Ray Wonder

Founder of the Wounded Tagless Children
So I watched Episode V now, Spoilers for IV and V are now OK to post in here. Any other spoilers ARE NOT OK PLEASE. I've been avoiding my own thread because people are posting spoilers!! Thank you.

Ok, first off.. The fucking sets man. Those sets were so intricate and beautiful. Actually the detail throughout the whole movie is pretty mind blowing when you pay attention to it. I can tell they had a little extra $ to play with. Unlike A New Hope, I didn't see a shot that pulled me out of the immersion with shitty CG. Everything was acceptable, and at the very least, it kept me engrossed. The most jarring thing was that Yoda is Grover. Like exactly Grover. I got over it pretty quickly because I liked the puppetry. It was definitely good.

Favorite scenes:

Imperial Walkers scene, although I remember seeing this part before, It's still really cool. Just because of the action. Flying around the walkers, tripping them with ropes. Luke Hookshotting up one, lightsabering the bottom and blowing the walker up. It was pretty great. Also, It was pretty easy to ignore that they looked like stop motion toys after a few seconds.

The Asteroid belt chase was great. The hyperdrive failing, the Asteroid cave/Beetlejuice sock puppet worm, 3CP0 freaking the fuck out. All quality.

Chewbacca fighting off the junkers, saving 3CP0, then having 3CP0 on his back for like 30 minutes afterwards. Pretty great chemistry there. A+

What the fuck is "No, I am your father"? Why, for the past 25 years, I have heard every damn person that ever said it say "Luke, I am your father". Shit baffled me. I was like a person pretending to know a song, trying to sing it but fucking it all up.

LUKE, wait.. Fuck. what.

Oh yeah, Where the hell did Darth Vader come from when the walkers were getting close to the rebel base? I didn't see a shot of him at all in a Walker, then poof, he's in the base.

So, yeah. This is the better film of the two. In my eyes.

Cheebo

Banned
Hah, now you know how it feels when you hear fools say the line wrong.

It always makes me cringe when I hear "Luke, I am your father." That isn't the line!

Ray Wonder

Hah, now you know how it feels when you hear fools say the line wrong.

It always makes me cringe when I hear "Luke, I am your father." That isn't the line!

I've never really gone around reciting the line, so I was never corrected. This is the first time I've heard right.

Cheebo

Banned
I've never really gone around reciting the line, so I was never corrected. This is the first time I've heard right.
I mean other people. :) if you hear someone saying the wrong quote it's a sure fire way to know whether they are a 'Wars fan or not.

Ray Wonder

I mean other people. :) if you hear someone saying the wrong quote it's a sure fire way to know whether they are a 'Wars fan or not.

I feel the urge to correct someone smoldering deep in my soul. If I hear it, actions will be taken.

The Blu-ray noise never fails to make me laugh, it's just hilarious.

That's the one I heard. It sounds like someone cut off their finger while working in a giant metal shop with echoey walls.

Cheebo

Banned
Honestly I think none of the yells are particularly good. Jedi being able to do weird animal noises always seemed odd and never once appeared as an ability any other time.

Ray Wonder

Must be. The characters often even shorthand him "Threepio".

3CPO - C = Threepio

I didn't put much thought into it.

I think it's clear what the sound clip should have been.

Lmao

Honestly I think none of the yells are particularly good. Jedi being able to do weird animal noises always seemed odd and never once appeared as an ability any other time.

I didn't know that was supposed to be an ability. I just thought it was Obi-Wan acting crazy to scare away the sand people.

Cheebo

Banned
I didn't know that was supposed to be an ability. I just thought it was Obi-Wan acting crazy to scare away the sand people.

The original yell was not human sounding at all. It never really made too much sense imo. At the very least the new one sounds human, even though it doesnt sound like Obi-Wan.

SickBoy

Cool thread. I look forward to seeing what you have to say about the rest of the movies, especially the prequels.

Oersted

Oh yeah, Where the hell did Darth Vader come from when the walkers were getting close to the rebel base? I didn't see a shot of him at all in a Walker, then poof, he's in the base.

Why did they attack with walkers is the better question.

Ray Wonder

Why did they attack with walkers is the better question.

Because it's awesome.

Cool thread. I look forward to seeing what you have to say about the rest of the movies, especially the prequels.

I'll definitely keep it updated! At least until I'm going through the animated series. I'm not going to update it after every episode.

Oersted

Because it's awesome.

I'll definitely keep it updated! At least until I'm going through the animated series. I'm not going to update it after every episode.

No wonder the Empire keeps losing.

Emperor: We know where the rebels are and I wish to destroy them.

Random Admiral: As you wish sir, I will send out the starships and destroyers.

E: Do that, but hold them back.

RA: Excuse me?

E: As easy as it would be to destroy them, I don't want that. I want them to escape. And something awesome.

RA: I don't know if it is awesome, but we hired recently some brainless monkeys. They came up with a design of walkers. They can't move around, can't defend against attacks from above, below and beyond and are additionally vulnerable due to legs. It is pretty much guaranteed that the rebellion would survive such an attack.

Emperor: Its awesome.

Why do we still fight battles with tanks?

Whats your point?

It's been Episode IV - A New Hope since 1979. It isn't some SE change. For less than 2 years it was just Star Wars. Trying to correct people who call it IV or A New Hope is being overly butthurt and insane.

Me, The Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences, and The National Film Registry say the first movie is called Star Wars.

6pJQV8N.jpg

Ray Wonder

No wonder the Empire keeps losing.

Emperor: We know where the rebels are and I wish to destroy them.

Random Admiral: As you wish sir, I will send out the starships and destroyers.

E: Do that, but hold them back.

RA: Excuse me?

E: As easy as it would be to destroy them, I don't want that. I want them to escape. And something awesome.

RA: I don't know if it is awesome, but we hired recently some brainless monkeys. They came up with a design of walkers. They can't move around, can't defend against attacks from above, below and beyond and are additionally vulnerable due to legs. It is pretty much guaranteed that the rebellion would survive such an attack.

Emperor: Its awesome.

Darth Vader: What is it, General?
General Veers: My Lord, the fleet has moved out of lightspeed. Com Scan has detected an energy field protecting an area of the sixth planet of the Hoth System. The field is strong enough to deflect any bombardment.
Darth Vader: [getting angry] The Rebels are alerted to our presence. Admiral Ozzel came out of lightspeed too close to the system.
General Veers: He... he felt surprise was wiser...
Darth Vader: He is as clumsy as he is stupid! General... prepare your troops for a surface attack.
General Veers: Yes, my Lord.

I'm guessing by bombardment he meant aerial? Since Vader said prepare for a surface attack. The Walkers are strong enough to survive all of the fighters shots, because Luke says something like "Their armor is too strong for our blasters". I don't know if the empire just never encountered ropes? I'm new at this, so I wouldn't know as much as someone else would.

Cheebo

Banned
If you watched Star Wars on VHS you saw it with Episode IV - A New Hope. It's been that way since 1981 as others stated.

Oersted

I'm guessing by bombardment he meant aerial? Since Vader said prepare for a surface attack. The Walkers are strong enough to survive all of the fighters shots, because Luke says something like "Their armor is too strong for our blasters". I don't know if the empire just never encountered ropes? I'm new at this, so I wouldn't know as much as someone else would.

Moments later after Luke said it, a shot of a speeder blow up a walker. And the problem with the walkers still is that they can't react to anything below/above and behind. They could have had the same inconsitent behaving armor on better designs. On way better designs. Oh yeah, shields. Always amazingly inconsistent. The Imperial fleet had several gigantic Star Destroyers and they didn't even try.

If you watched Star Wars on VHS you saw it with Episode IV - A New Hope. It's been that way since 1981 as others stated.

1979,1981... whats next?^^

Ray Wonder

Moments later after Luke said it, a shot of a speeder blow up a walker. And the problem with the walkers still is that they can't react to anything below/above and behind. They could have had the same inconsitent behaving armor on better designs. On way better designs. Oh yeah, shields. Always amazingly inconsistent. The Imperial fleet had several gigantic Star Destroyers and they didn't even try.

Yeah, I agree with ya. They could be much more effectively designed.

Glad you enjoyed V, OP.

Now that you know teh tweest, I can tell you why I think you should now take the time to watch the prequels before you go on to VI.

Or I'll let the blog post I first heard about the order from explain. Here's the link but there be spoilers, I'll leave spoilers out of my quote:

(though he skips episode I in his order. I'm against that, personally)

http://www.nomachetejuggling.com/2011/11/11/the-star-wars-saga-suggested-viewing-order/

This al­ter­na­tive order (which a com­menter has pointed out is called Ernst Rister order) inserts the prequel trilogy into the middle, al­low­ing the series to end on the sen­si­ble ending point ([REDACTED]) while still be­gin­ning with Luke's journey.

Ef­fec­tively, this order keeps the story Luke's tale. Just when Luke is left with the burning ques­tion "how did my father become Darth Vader?" we take an ex­tended flash­back to explain exactly how. Once we un­der­stand how his father turned to the dark side, we go back to the main sto­ry­line and [REDACTED].

The prequel back­story comes at the perfect time, because Empire Strikes Back ends on a huge cliffhanger. Han is in car­bonite, Vader is Luke's father, and the Empire has hit the re­bel­lion hard. De­lay­ing the res­o­lu­tion of this cliffhanger makes it all the more sat­is­fy­ing when Return of the Jedi is watched.

Nar­ra­tively, it's just like a movie that starts with a big opening, then fades to "2 years earlier" for most of the movie, until it catches up with the present time and con­cludes.

Patryn

Based on their actual invading of the base, I have a feeling they wanted either intel or prisoners. An orbital bombardment would have just destroyed the base wholesale.

It also wouldn't have worked until they took out the generators, which is what the Walkers were there to do. Until then, the base had a shield protecting it.

Ray Wonder

Glad you enjoyed V, OP.

Now that you know teh tweest, I can tell you why I think you should now take the time to watch the prequels before you go on to VI.

Or I'll let the blog post I first heard about the order from explain. Here's the link but there be spoilers, I'll leave spoilers out of my quote:

(though he skips episode I in his order. I'm against that, personally)

http://www.nomachetejuggling.com/2011/11/11/the-star-wars-saga-suggested-viewing-order/

Honestly that's pretty convincing now that I'm at the point that I'm at. I'll think about it.

Number_6

Their whole relationship was made up on the fly and its very noticeable. I always love how
"From my point of view the Jedi are evil"
gets shit on, while the equally stupid
"So, what I told you was true... from a certain point of view."
gets a pass.

The latter quote (from the earlier movie, lol) was a cheap, lazy solution to the problem of the love triangle. Luckily, ROTJ was fun enough to overshadow some of the worse written moments.

The reason the former prequel line gets shit on is because of the baffling decision to repeat/pay homage to an already shitty old line. Like, come up with your own shitty line, there are enough callbacks in these prequels already. And in such a pivotal moment too. Plus, Hayden's Anakin was shit.

Experien

Honestly that's pretty convincing now that I'm at the point that I'm at. I'll think about it.

Never heard the 4, 5, 1-3, 6 order, it isn't too bad the way they explained it.

I kind of like the idea of 4, 1, 2, 5, 3, 6.

You get amazing intro to the series with 4 and hear about the Clone Wars And get to see the build up and it happening with 1-2. Then you return to Luke and training with 5 and finally see two results of the training with 3 & 6. (had to write that a few times cause I was like, wait, spoilers?)

But 4-5, 1-3, 6 might be the best way for a newcomer to watch it.

Oersted

Based on their actual invading of the base, I have a feeling they wanted either intel or prisoners. An orbital bombardment would have just destroyed the base wholesale.

It also wouldn't have worked until they took out the generators, which is what the Walkers were there to do. Until then, the base had a shield protecting it.

Someone you guys keep ignoring my point. AT-ATs are horrible designed for a battle. Like, who does even greenlight this?

And again, shields are marvelously inconsistent in Star Wars.

Ray Wonder

Never heard the 4, 5, 1-3, 6 order, it isn't too bad the way they explained it.

I kind of like the idea of 4, 1, 2, 5, 3, 6.

You get amazing intro to the series with 4 and hear about the Clone Wars And get to see the build up and it happening with 1-2. Then you return to Luke and training with 5 and finally see two results of the training with 3 & 6. (had to write that a few times cause I was like, wait, spoilers?)

But 4-5, 1-3, 6 might be the best way for a newcomer to watch it.

Yeah, I think I will do it this way. I might change my mind last second, but this seems logical. Maybe I'll try to knock out 1, and 2 today.

Release order has always made the most sense to me. The two trilogies make one story but they're still separate entities. Mixing and matching them on your first viewing wouldn't work as well I don't think.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom