• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LTTP: The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time, Majora's Mask, and Twilight Princess

mrmickfran

I went on a huge Zelda binge within the last two years. Out of nowhere, I got like 9 games from the series. I have fallen in love. Today, I just want to talk about the most recent ones that I've played: Ocarina of Time, Majora's Mask, and Twilight Princess.

the-legend-of-zelda-ocarina-of-time-3d-wallpaper1.jpg

The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time (3DS version)

I'll start with this one. What else can I say about OoT other than it is the perfect Zelda game. It has just the right length, the perfect balance between story and gameplay, it just feels perfect. I found absolutely no issues with this game. The pacing was great, the dungeons were spectacular, and there were little secrets everywhere, just like a Zelda game should be. Now I understand what the journalists were freaking out about 17 years ago. My second favorite Zelda now after A Link Between Worlds (ALBW is just even more perfect :p).

I have no idea what egoraptor was smoking when he criticized the game.

I have not tried Master Quest yet since I wanted to take a break from the game so that I didn't get burned out, but I am really curious to see what that does to the game.

Summary:
+Perfect length (No unnecessary padding)
+Great balance between gameplay and story (One didn't overtake the other coughSkywardSwordcough)
+Amazing music
+There are secrets EVERYWHERE
-Finding this game at a reasonable price nowadays is impossible. Thanks NoA!

The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask (3DS version)

I'm probably going to get killed for this. I'm sorry to say this GAF, but I'm not feeling Majora's Mask the same way that I did with Ocarina. With Ocarina, I played that game nonstop. I spent a week straight on that game because it had me hooked from the beginning. In Majora's Mask, I'm just not getting that feeling. I mean, I am playing it, but I'm having a hard time staying hooked. Maybe this one takes a little more time to get used to (I'm about to get into the Snowhead temple).

I do however, appreciate how original it is. Most of the other Zeldas like to follow a set formula. I mean, it's worked after all these years, but it's nice to get something new.

Summary:
+Interesting world
+Song of Healing OH MY GOD Song of Healing
+The most original Zelda to date
+There are secrets EVERYWHERE
-Takes a while to get used to
-Losing your items when you reset the time (I mean, it makes sense, but dammit :/)

The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess (Wii version)

My current addiction. The only problem is, it took me a LOOONG time to get addicted. That first half of the game before the Sacred Grove is painful. I mean, the dungeons are fine, but everything else with the wolf and the tears (this is one thing that Skyward Sword did improve on, and I will fight anyone to the death about it). Damn, it's amazing how different the second half is from the first half. If the second half is A Link to the Past tier, then the first half is Skyward Sword tier (I wasn't very fond of SS). The game just opens up so much that you would think that they are two different games.

To elaborate: The dungeons are FAR more interesting (I just entered The City in the Sky and whoa...), the story takes a backseat (way too many story segments in the beginning, and they dragged oooonnn), and there's just so much to do it's mind boggling.

Twilight Princess is fantastic after the first 20 hours, and YES, it does rely a lot on OoT nostalgia (only OoT didn't have such horrible pacing).

Summary:
+Amazing second half
+Hyrule Field theme is fantastic
+Midna's Lament is a fantastic piece
+Fuck it, this game jus has an amazing soundtrack
+The feels when I entered the Sacred Grove.
+There are secrets EVERYWHERE (in the second half :p)
+/- Pretty much Ocarina 2 (you can decide on whether that's a good or bad thing).
-Terrible first half
-The game is not good for those with Carpal tunnel. I regret not getting the GC version ;_:

If I were to rank the Zelda series based on the ones that I've played:

A Link Between Worlds > Ocarina of Time > A Link to the Past > Twilight Princess (second half) >Wind Waker > Majora's Mask > Link's Awakening > Skyward Sword > Twilight Princess (first half)

GAF, please don't hurt me based on my rating of Link's Awakening. I haven't played it that much ;_;

ozfunghi

I think it's interesting that you rate the first half from TP separately from the second half, but fail to acknowledge the same discrepancy in Skyward Sword.

Timeaisis

Well, I agree with you as far as Majora's Mask. Great game, but not my favorite Zelda. I'm sorry, NeoGAF.

And yeah, the first half of Twilight Princess truly is awful.

I went on a huge Zelda binge within the last two years. Out of nowhere, I got like 9 games from the series. I have fallen in love. Today, I just want to talk about the most recent ones that I've played: Ocarina of Time, Majora's Mask, and Twilight Princess.

The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time (3DS version)

I'll start with this one. What else can I say about OoT other than it is the perfect Zelda game. It has just the right length, the perfect balance between story and gameplay, it just feels perfect. I found absolutely no issues with this game. The pacing was great, the dungeons were spectacular, and there were little secrets everywhere, just like a Zelda game should be. Now I understand what the journalists were freaking out about 17 years ago. My second favorite Zelda now after A Link Between Worlds (ALBW is just even more perfect :p).

I have no idea what egoraptor was smoking when he criticized the game.

He was trying to make a name for himself and justify his long held position that really had no justification.

ec0ec0

About majora's mask:
Maybe this one takes a little more time to get used to (I'm about to get into the Snowhead temple).

It doesn't, you've already played more than enough to have an opinion about it. You've already seen how the time cicle system affects how you play the game, and how it affects the world and its characters. You've already seen the other characters living events again as if it hadn't happened before or not knowig who you are (when you know who they are). I think that playing a couple of cicles (as normal link) is enough. After that, you can think that the time system is ridiculous amazing (like myself :p) or think that it doesn't add that much to the game. It's ok.

I never even got to beat the first dungeon of Twilight so I can only comment on the other two. Ocarina and Majora are among my top games. It's a shame that you had to play the 3DS version of Mask because I heard there are some negative changes like Zora Link's controls and Ice Arrows being very limited. I got some confusing info about the change to the save system, but I think you can use the original method from the N64 version.

Ocarina of Time exceeds in scope and design, but Majora's Mask beats it out for me in terms of atmosphere and the amount of side-quests it has.

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
I think it's interesting that you rate the first half from TP separately from the second half, but fail to acknowledge the same discrepancy in Skyward Sword.

SS doesn't have that distinction. The overall game is just a drag over repeated areas with considerable padding and filler. Weakest of the 3D Zelda games by a mile.

mrmickfran

Because I hated 90% of Skyward Sword :p

About majora's mask:

It doesn't, you've already played more than enough to have an opinion about it. You've already seen how the time cicle system affects how you play the game, and how it affects the world and its characters. You've already seen the other characters living events again as if it hadn't happened before or not knowig who you are (when you know who they are). I think that playing a couple of cicles (as normal link) is enough. After that, you can think that the time system is ridiculous amazing (like myself :p) or think that it doesn't add that much to the game. It's ok.

Well, I agree with you as far as Majora's Mask. Great game, but not my favorite Zelda. I'm sorry, NeoGAF.

Okay good, I thought I was going to get attacked by an angry mob for that one.

Xemnas89

Twilight Princess might just be my favorite in the series. The thing I look forward to most in a zelda game is the dungeons and this game has the best in the series by far imo. Having said that Ocarina and Majora are both amazing games and you really can't go wrong with any of these games.

RK128

Glad you enjoyed the three games OP :D! I personally found Majora's Mask the best 3D Zelda of the other 3D games and found that the dungeon sections of Twilight Princess to be fantastic :).

Majora's Mask 3D just remained me why I love the game so much :'). Amazing atmosphere, a fantastic soundtrack, great gameplay mechanics, very powerful time system and some of the uttermost darkest elements in the Zelda franchise (dealing with powerful concepts and ideas such as faith, death, and more in such a smart and intelligent way). It is great that more and more can experience this classic through the 3DS Remake :).

Twilight Princess is a interesting case, as on paper it should be the perfect Zelda experience.....but it 'barrows' to much to make it stand out, if that make sense. Link to the Past's Dark World, MM's dark tone alongside its transformation ability through Wolf Link, OoT's overall look and initial three dungeon themes (Forest, Fire, Water), and Wind Wakers engine and facial expressions; very power elements in one game :). The issue, is that outside of the dungeons, it feels too.....formulaic, if that sounds right; it feels like a OoT2, instead of its own unique thing ala Wind Waker and Majora's Mask. That wasn't an issue at all for me, as I still had a blast playing it :D, it is just something that can 'take' away some of the game's greatness has. Overall great game and a wonderful way to kick start the Wii I think :).

Pilgrimzero

I disagree. OoT started the tradition of wandering around towns doing boring stuff before you ever get to the action. Which yea the games are bit more complex so they need tutorials but the old ones were pure fun.

Here is your sword, go save the world.

Now you have to go find someones cat and catch 10 chickens before you even allowed to look at a shield. An hour later you might have a sword.

Not saying OoT (and later) aren't fun but dang did they get tedious. I have to talk to 15 guys and do 12 errands before each dungeon. Which seem to include 2-3 monsters per room.

Been replaying OoT and finally got tired of running around the overworld trying to proceed in a quick manner and resorted to a walk through so I can easily catch all the chickens and know what songs to sing and when etc

And I admit I'm old school and I think LttP was the peak.

mrmickfran

I gotta get around to playing some Zelda games and MGS.
Dooo it. Best decision I've made gaming wise since playing the Ace Attorney series.

Glad you enjoyed the three games OP :D! I personally found Majora's Mask the best 3D Zelda of the other 3D games and found that the dungeon sections of Twilight Princess to be fantastic :).

Majora's Mask 3D just remained me why I love the game so much :'). Amazing atmosphere, a fantastic soundtrack, great gameplay mechanics, very powerful time system and some of the uttermost darkest elements in the Zelda franchise (dealing with powerful concepts and ideas such as faith, death, and more in such a smart and intelligent way). It is great that more and more can experience this classic through the 3DS Remake :).

Twilight Princess is a interesting case, as on paper it should be the perfect Zelda experience.....but it 'barrows' to much to make it stand out, if that make sense. Link to the Past's Dark World, MM's dark tone alongside its transformation ability through Wolf Link, OoT's overall look and initial three dungeon themes (Forest, Fire, Water), and Wind Wakers engine and facial expressions; very power elements in one game :). The issue, is that outside of the dungeons, it feels too.....formulaic, if that sounds right; it feels like a OoT2, instead of its own unique thing ala Wind Waker and Majora's Mask. That wasn't an issue at all for me, as I still had a blast playing it :D, it is just something that can 'take' away some of the game's greatness has. Overall great game and a wonderful way to kick start the Wii I think :).

Maybe I should give MM more time.

Yes, I agree about TP, it doesn't really feel like its own game.
And I admit I'm old school and I think LttP was the peak.

What's your opinion on ALBW?

Rockk

I highly recommend Oracle of Season and Oracle of Ages. OoT and LttP are real close but Seasons is probably my favorite Zelda game. It has some amazing puzzles and bosses. Easily some of the best of the entire series. And Subrosia is one of the coolest places in all of the Zelda world.

Ninjimbo

Twilight Princess hooked me from the beginning. It's never truly dull and for that the game is a magnificent accomplishment. It is every bit of OoT's equal.

Top Bottom