• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LTTP - The Mist

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Edit: Shit, I replied to this already? Well my post down at the bottom explains better.

MoGamesXNA

Unconfirmed Member
Definitely. it's still a similar story, and I wouldn't even say the differences are BETTER than the films (they're mostly not) but it's a really interesting read - there's a reason it's grabbed the imaginations of so many creatives even before it was made into a movie.

I think the film is the definitive version of the story, myself, but even thinking that, I have a hard time believing a fan of the movie won't find a lot to enjoy about the novella.

Brilliant. I didn't need a lot lf convincing as I've been reading a few King novels lately but you've sealed the deal. Cheers

teiresias

I love this film, but do find it hard to watch, particularly if I'm already down in my mood for some reason. However, what I love about it is that . . .

Dark Tower Spoilers:
I picture the area in the movie is what the desolate areas look like that the Ka-tet travel ABOVE while they're riding in Blaine. I may be remembering it wrong, but I could have sworn they weren't just traveling above wasteland areas, but also in areas that apparently are ripe with thinnie activity and escaped monsters from Todash Space.

One needn't know anything about the Dark Tower to enjoy the movie, but it makes for some cool overarching mythos if you know about the stuff I suppose.

Man, this thread is making me want to watch it again, probably in B&W since I didn't know that was a thing.

Such ending. So guilty pleasure. Wow.

Cipherr

Yeah I remember this, I liked the ending and the setting. The whole Cloverfield, I am legend type of flick. Anyone know of any other similar movies like this? Preferably recent? (I struggle with old films lol)

Speevy

Banned
One question I have is about the spiders.

Was their webbing like acid, or egg sacs, or just a blanket that smothered everything?

It seems weird that they would build their homes with a thread that burns through everything.

One question I have is about the spiders.

Was their webbing like acid, or egg sacs, or just a blanket that smothered everything?

It seems weird that they would build their homes with a thread that burns through everything.

It burns through everything that's not them.

Same with how Xenomorph blood can eat through like 6 decks of a hull but doesn't melt the insides of an Alien.

One of the most fucked up sequences in the book is reading about the webbing wrapping around a guy's leg, he tries to get it off ,and the skin from his calf down just sloughs off like a oversized sock.

At least I'm pretty sure that happens in the novella.

daviyoung

Banned
Wouldn't Pacific Rim be a bit closer?

why? there are no mechs in The Mist

I recommend King Kong because it's a complete monster horror movie that has giant bugs, penis monsters, dinosaurs and a huge ape, but if it's just kaiju movies he's after then yeh Pacific Rim, Super 8 or the Korean movie The Host

Darkmakaimura

Can You Imagine What SureAI Is Going To Do With Garfield?
why? there are no mechs in The Mist

I recommend King Kong because it's a complete monster horror movie that has giant bugs, penis monsters, dinosaurs and a huge ape, but if it's just kaiju movies he's after then yeh Pacific Rim, Super 8 or the Korean movie The Host
Well, considering the Kaiju's origins are similar to The Mist and that they actually rampage through urban and suburban areas makes it a bit of similarity. King Kong had earthbound dinosaurs and giant versions of animals that already exist in the real world on a remote island.

For that reason, I would personally say Pacific Rim is more like The Mist than King Kong is.

The best Stephen King film adaptation, IMO. The Shining is technically a superior film but as an adaptation of its source material it's pretty shit. The Mist is totally uncompromising. If anything it's more brutal than the novella.

Edit: Or you have the best of both worlds with Green Mile and Shawshank.

Raptor

Nice film, sad ending.

There is a alternate ending right?

The one where they survive and reach a building or house can't remember and in a scene you can see the entire world consumed by Mist.

Don't know what ending is more fucked up I mean is feaking depressing thinking about both.

Caught the hype in the thread, watched it on blu and I must say that I do not recognize the party you are talking about!
I didn't empathize with the characters, the acting didn't help either, the production value was really low (did I catch the same clip of soldiers passing by being recycled in the beginning of the movie?) and the're was never really any sense of danger. If not for this thread I would have shut off the movie after 30 minutes, but I assumed at least the ending would be worth sticking around for. What a pile of horseshit, thank you gaf :(

zeemumu

This is actually a far better movie than it should have been. It gets a lot of crap for the ending because of it being such a downer, but people have to realize that there's a difference between a movie having a bad ending and a movie having a BAD ending. Yes, it's a downer, but it's not the type of ending that you condemn a movie over.

Fusebox

Banned
Is there much of a difference between the B&W version and just turning the color setting on your TV to 0? I watched it on Netflix with the color on my TV turned off and it looked great.

Minion101

Banned
Is there much of a difference between the B&W version and just turning the color setting on your TV to 0? I watched it on Netflix with the color on my TV turned off and it looked great.

If they did it right they upped the contrast to remove the grey. Doesn't it look sharper due to using smaller pixels? Or was that SD TVs?

Yes. In fact, they specifically went through and graded the image so it wouldn't look like you just turned the color down on your TV.

Caught the hype in the thread, watched it on blu and I must say that I do not recognize the party you are talking about!
I didn't empathize with the characters, the acting didn't help either, the production value was really low (did I catch the same clip of soldiers passing by being recycled in the beginning of the movie?) and the're was never really any sense of danger. If not for this thread I would have shut off the movie after 30 minutes, but I assumed at least the ending would be worth sticking around for. What a pile of horseshit, thank you gaf :(

Yeah. Awful acting, even worse child acting, ugly, nonsensical, moralistic.

Best thing about the ending was knowing this utter waste of time was finally over.

Neolith

I remember a good friend of mine made me see this movie because he knew I was a huge silent hill fan and said it was basically the game. I was a little disappointed to find out how wrong he was but a great little flick nonetheless

Minion101

Banned
I grabbed the bluray today and I unscientifically proven there really is no difference between the B&W version and just turning the color setting on your TV to 0.

I remember a good friend of mine made me see this movie because he knew I was a huge silent hill fan and said it was basically the game. I was a little disappointed to find out how wrong he was but a great little flick nonetheless

The book is cited as an influence of Silent Hill..

Mononoke

Banned
you should watch it in black and white. I love the ending, just wish it didn't end with that bullshit mother and her kid she saved because she went out of the supermarket.

I know this is an older thread. But this is the ONE thing I hated about the ending.
Like, what was the moral being told here? That the guy shouldn't have been a jerk and helped this lady out? Who by the way, was being completely irrational and crazy (given that, people couldn't walk more then 10 feet outside with being eaten). But yeah, shame on all of them for not helping her out (especially when she left her kids home alone, being a terrible parent in the first place).

Bleh. Fuck that aspect of the ending. Felt like a contrived "salt in the wound", given that it seemed pretty impossible she made it all the way back home, and was able to survive.

Bebpo

Banned
If you're interested in the other world, read the Dark Tower series and From a Buick 8. They tie in with the Mist and are quite enjoyable reads.

Really? I had no clue there were connections between almost any of his stuff (outside direct sequels like Dr. Sleep). Now I wanna read those two...

Erigu

The book is cited as an influence of Silent Hill..
It's a lot more than that. Silent Hill was initially meant to be an adaptation of the book. But Toyama was having trouble with some elements of the plot and asked his superior if it couldn't be turned into an original story instead.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
I don't get how you could try to draw any "lessons" from the particular stories of any person. They all do different things and all get wildly different results for no defined reasons. It seems to me like the movie as a whole is an analysis of how humanity responds to dire situations where we don't know anything and can't find any reliable results from testing.

If you don't know and can't see, how do you choose action? How do you choose inaction? If either one, what form? Perhaps investigative or aggressive for action? Perhaps communal-subsistence or isolationist-defensive for inaction? How can you be sure in moral choices not knowing what their outcomes will be? How do you know if something is heroic/noble or foolish/reckless?

To me it is most suitable as a commentary on public opinions (re: votes) about things that can affect people that they are too far removed from in power/knowledge/relationships to truly know what call to make, like foreign policy with difficult nations. I think this especially in view of how in the movie the government paradoxically brings the problem and solves it in secrecy yet visibly before everyone.

brian577

Banned
This might interest fans of the movie. Interview with the Weinstein Brothers from just last November
http://www.nytimes.com/2013/11/25/business/media/the-weinstein-company-seeking-hits-shift-to-tv.html
Bob Weinstein, interviewed separately from his brother, said he was developing original projects that would be in tune with his horror- and action-oriented Dimension brand, along with several shows based on movies he has overseen for the company. He is preparing a pilot based on the “Scream” films for MTV, for instance, and developing a proposed 10-part series with Frank Darabont, based on Dimension’s film version of Stephen King’s “The Mist.”

GamerJM

Banned
It's alright. I enjoyed the book more, which I thought was pretty good though still nothing that blew me away.

I remember not really liking the ending in the movie.

SJRB

Gold Member
I don't think I've ever hated an antagonist more in any movie than I did the religious lady in the Mist. Holy crap she made me so angry.

Good movie, for sure.

Mononoke

Banned
I don't get how you could try to draw any "lessons" from the particular stories of any person. They all do different things and all get wildly different results for no defined reasons. It seems to me like the movie as a whole is an analysis of how humanity responds to dire situations where we don't know anything and can't find any reliable results from testing.

If you don't know and can't see, how do you choose action? How do you choose inaction? If either one, what form? Perhaps investigative or aggressive for action? Perhaps communal-subsistence or isolationist-defensive for inaction? How can you be sure in moral choices not knowing what their outcomes will be? How do you know if something is heroic/noble or foolish/reckless?

To me it is most suitable as a commentary on public opinions (re: votes) about things that can affect people that they are too far removed from in power/knowledge/relationships to truly know what call to make, like foreign policy with difficult nations. I think this especially in view of how in the movie the government paradoxically brings the problem and solves it in secrecy yet visibly before everyone.

I agree with everything you've said about the intent of the film. I just felt the ending with the mom and her children felt contrived. Just felt like forced salt in the wound.

It annoyed me from a logical stand point, because no one was able to walk more then 10 min outside of the store without being devoured. So we are supposed to believe she not only walked all the way out there, but was able to make it back home and get her children? And even if you argue there was no message for the main protagonist to learn by having that scene at the end (where the mother is safe and sound, and looking at him with disdain, as she lives with her children), it still bugged me. Especially after she gave everyone a "you will burn in hell for this" speech in the store, since no one was willing to help her.

Darkmakaimura

Can You Imagine What SureAI Is Going To Do With Garfield?
You guys make me want to watch this again. Sad thing is, I have it on Blu-ray but no more Blu-ray player.

472294.gif

Eeeeeeuaaagh

cacildo

Bumb, because i just watched it last night

HOW COULD YOU PEOPLE NEVER RECOMEND THIS MOVIE TO ME???

I saw the cover a lot on netflix. You know why i decided to watch it? Because in the "awsome movie secrets" thread somebody pointed that in the first few minutes theres a nod to other stephen king novels or something. Nobody said the movie was good or anything. Just that it exist...

...and this movie was GREAT!

- I went in expecting nothing.

- Judging by the
tentacles scene
i was under the impression that
the myst had one monster only, the tentacle monster. Watching it really unfold into several creatures was amazing

- The walking dead actors felt like a fun nod, killed the movie a bit at the beggining. But soon became more bizarre watching those actores in an unpredictable scenario

- I knew it was some "stephen king novel" and when somebody say "movie based on stephen king novel" for each Green Mile and Stand by Me we have a Dream Catcher or that bizarre cut of It that was turned into a movie

- There´s some fade out fade in between the movie that sometimes feel like is for comercial breaks on tv. It made the movie even more strange

- The ending was amazing. There´s only one way for it to be worse, if
the truck with the survivors from the supermarket passed by. From what i read on IMDB, it was planned, but the extras had already gone home. That would be the supreme humiliation, more than "Carol" in the truck with her kids

Zombine

Banned
I think had they used conventional effects instead of cheap CGI it would have been one of the best horror films of the decade.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom