• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LTTP: The Office (US)

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheFuzz

The second Michael boards the plane to Colorado, there's no reason left to watch. Even the finale was just "actors" saying goodbye, it didn't feel like anyone was in character.

Seasons 2-3 are the highpoint, but "Dinner Party" was the best episode in the series. Even with the crappy ending, one of my favorite shows ever.

ruxtpin

Banned
In Carentan?! You don't snipe in Carentan, okay? ... I'm gonna kill you for real. This game, the game is over. I'm really going to shoot you.

Andy is so laughably unhinged.

Robert California was my favorite "new" character to show up.

Robert California is so amazing. I love basically every moment he's on screen.

I think the only character I never found a way to like is Andy. He's just so fucking clueless and terrible for so much time, and never funny in the way other clueless characters (like Michael) manage to be. But I've never been a big Ed Helms fan in the first place, so that doesn't help.

I love this show but couldn't watch after Michael left.
We need Creed in here, btw.
creed-best.png
Haha he's the best character. I've watched the entire series more times than I'd like to admit. It's my favorite show to "background watch" while gaming on my 3DS.

Kandinsky

Yeah my favorite show ever, I love every season and every episode, too bad the show's no longer on netflix over here :/

Honestly one of my favorite comedies, if it had ended a few seasons earlier it would have been GOAT. It gets super mediocre toward the end.

The second Michael boards the plane to Colorado, there's no reason left to watch. Even the finale was just "actors" saying goodbye, it didn't feel like anyone was in character.

Seasons 2-3 are the highpoint, but "Dinner Party" was the best episode in the series. Even with the crappy ending, one of my favorite shows ever.

"Dinner Party" is legit one of the finest episodes of television ever produced.

micster

I literally just finished going through the whole thing on Netflix. What a hugely satisfying ending. A shame that Season 8 was such a hard slog to get through. Robert California was terrible.

Michael took too long to leave that season. It was so dragged out and the writing helped none of it. Will Ferrel was OK then it got so so much worse after he left. I stuck in there to the end but it was pretty damn hard. The finale was a nice wrap up however.

Season 1-3 were near perfect. Season 4 slumped hard from the Writer's Strike and lack of direction due to the Pam/Jim story arch. Season 5 slightly recovered but was still a huge drop in quality and had excessive Flanderization. The rest are garbage.

Charles Minor felt like one of those characters whose entire purpose was to make the show less fun. They do that on shows sometimes, and I never once have liked it.
I sort of see what you mean, but that was the whole point. How would the Scranton branch function with an actual stern manager? The fun was in seeing that person clash with Michael, giving Jim a much needed shock with his schtick, and seeing it all come full circle when Wallace shows up and we see Charles start ass kissing and embarrassed by Dwight. It was fantastic to see the character dynamics mature making it one of my favorite arcs. Everything involving the Michael Scott Paper Company was gold.

I sort of see what you mean, but that was the whole point. How would the Scranton branch function with an actual stern manager? The fun was in seeing that person clash with Michael, giving Jim a much needed shock with his schtick, and seeing it all come full circle when Wallace shows up and we see Charles start ass kissing and embarrassed by Dwight. It was fantastic to see the character dynamics mature making it one of my favorite arcs. Everything involving the Michael Scott Paper Company was gold.

Pretty much. I really liked Jim being taken down a peg even though I like him and Pam. She got her comeuppance when she was trying to point out Dwight and Angela having a secret relationship and Philys thought she meant Her and Jim.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Pam was such an ass in the later seasons.
She figured out a way to do even less work than a secretary by creating a fake job.

She's a genius.

Though I jumped over to the Erin train shortly after her and Jim got married. I felt I got my satisfying ending there.

❤️ Kimmy Schmidt

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Spader saved season 8. I wish he could have just stuck around for season 9. Did they not think 9 would be the last? I also liked Kathy Bates as Jo and wish that Spader had taken the manager job and kept her around and both of them could have stuck around until the end. Though 9 did have the return of Wallace so that helped make up for it.

Rival

Gold Member
Dinner party is the episode of a TV show I've most laughed at. A masterpiece.

Couldn't agree more. I still laugh when I think about Michael giving the tour of his house when he shows off his tv and when he's showing the bedroom and there is a camera on a tripod set up facing the bed. I didn't care much for the last 2-3 seasons but the first 3-4 are phenomenal.

studyguy

Rewatch the series with my girlfriend every so often.
Sure it goes off the rails at a certain point, but all the same it's a great series.

I didn't like how Andy's character was handled in the later seasons. Liked the show overall, though.

I always felt like it made sense. He's just kind of a shitty person, and has spent his entire adult life focusing on impressing his parents, and by extension, every other person in his life, and he routinely fails to do so.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
They ruined my favorite character.
Yeah. I was #TeamDarryl though. I like Andy but he should have remained salesman. Darryl seemed to have the drive required to be manager.

But really, California should have been manager with Jo as CEO for both of the last two seasons.

Love this series. It had some rough episodes/seasons but the characters were great, including this guy, Spader's second (of three) great television character

8f2c0f0f7b3c56656a90e495cbb51bd8.jpg

Ebolarama

Banned
I believe season 8 is the lowest point of the series and season 9 is a fairly good redemption.
The wife and I have watched the entire series through twice since it ended, and plan on doing so again in a few years to see how we have changed and if the humor has remained appealing to us.
Overall I would say this show has had more of an impact on my life than any other comedy series in terms of how I felt about the characters, how it has affected my humor (who doesn't say "That's what she said" or throw out random Dwight knowledge* after watching the Office?), and how saddened I was after characters left and ultimately when the show ended.

B4Sr5hgCAAAos9c.jpg:large

Bairds

Neo Member

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F2aXdsz25L8

Dinner Party to me is one of the best episodes of TV I've ever watched.

That "The Documentary Cameraman falls in love with Pam" arc is just about the worst the show has to offer, minus Nelly.

Yeah, the Pam/Jim plotline in S9 was the worst thing to happen to the show, IMO. I tend to block it out when I think about how much I love the show because it was just so fucking dumb.

Karu

Dinner Party's really the best. Hardest I laughed though? Prison Mike. Gets me every single time. :D (Oh and obviosuly... "Do you think I'm retarded?")

Michael was the office. I'm sorry but he was the only reason I watched it. After he left I really didn't enjoy it much. Andy did a great job keeping the fun but they destroyed his character on the second half of season 9.
I hated so much the Pam/Jim arch. Pam was irritable at times.
Robert California was awesome.
But I agree season 2-4 were the best. The Michael/Jan was amazing.
I love how he found holly though. He deserved it.
I just hate how he wasn't himself on the finale and only spoke a few lines.

Also "diversity Day" is my favorite episode.

Ebolarama

Banned
Michael was the office. I'm sorry but he was the only reason I watched it. After he left I really didn't enjoy it much. Andy did a great job keeping the fun but they destroyed his character on the second half of season 9.
I hated so much the Pam/Jim arch. Pam was irritable at times.
Robert California was awesome.
But I agree season 2-4 were the best. The Michael/Jan was amazing.
I love how he found holly though. He deserved it.
I just hate how he wasn't himself on the finale and only spoke a few lines.

Also "diversity Day" is my favorite episode.

I liked the Jim/Pam arc until the
marriage
. Then it got tiresome.
I think Dwight was a great character and was a good reason to keep watching but the relationship between Michael and him was what made 90% of his quirkiness so engrossing, so after 2 Michael-less seasons it wore out.

What a terrible show. I watched 5 seasons of it to get my girlfriend to watch my favorite show (the wire). I hated every character except for Todd Packer and that's only due to the fact that I like David Koechner so much. I really did try to enjoy it but everyone is just so unlikeable. Plus the whole "make awkward joke look at camera move head slightly" thing really drove me up the wall.

This thread has convinced me to give the show the ol' rewatch. I don't think I've watched it since I eventually stopped midway through Season 8. I suppose it deserves another shot. After all...
Bears.
Beets.
Battlestar Galactica.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom