• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LTTP: The Witch. Best horror movie of the last few years.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Do you dislike slow atmospheric movies like Under The Skin or The Blair Witch Project? Because that could be the problem.

I don't know what's supposed to be so boring about The Witch though. On my second viewing I made a point of paying attention to the pacing, and not only is there a major event within the first 15 minutes, and more big developments steadily parceled out at about the same rate through the rest of the movie, but each scene has a purpose. If something disturbing isn't happening, you can bet the family's relationships are being developed, tying into later events and directly informing the third act and finale, which are largely character driven.

The Witch has a sound narrative structure that could have been applied to most any genre and still produced a satisfying story:

Introduction -> character stuff -> big moment -> reactions and consequences -> character stuff -> big moment -> (etc...) -> finale that builds on previous events and relationships.

I don't mind slow movies at all, but there are exceptions. I hated Blair Witch, thought it was incredibly stupid and Under the Skin bored the hell out of me. I've always thought Blair Witch was overrated as hell, I just don't get the hype about it at all. In fact I have seen other found footage movies that I enjoyed a lot more.

It just shows how different a movie can be for people. Some love it and find it creepy and unlike anything else and others have almost forgotten about it already the next day. Sadly it's the latter for me, it really didn't have an impact on me.

Dennis

Banned
Seems like people either love The Witch or find it totally boring.

As such it is a useful tool to judge people with.

And if you found it boring....oh how I judge thee.

J-Roderton

Basically. I watch horror movies with my girlfriend all the time. About one or two a week. This is one of the very few that we had completely different opinions on. I thought it was one of the most unsettling films I've ever seen while she could barely stay awake for it.

dlauv

Movie is laughably corny and the slower setting shots of the house to break what little tension there was became repetitive. The first 15 minutes were good. I have a feeling it would have been a better book than a movie.

I enjoyed Blair Witch, It Follows, The Babadook, The Shining, A Girl Walks Home Alone at Night, and other slower horror movies. Alien (Director's Cut) is my favorite horror movie. I just didn't find The VVitch immersive enough, paced well enough, or any death sequence, aside from the first, shocking/unsettling enough. In fact, the second major one was kind of funny.

Aside from the first 15 minutes, I thought the father and son's religious conversation was well done.

Do you dislike slow atmospheric movies like Under The Skin or The Blair Witch Project? Because that could be the problem.

I don't know what's supposed to be so boring about The Witch though. On my second viewing I made a point of paying attention to the pacing, and not only is there a major event within the first 15 minutes, and more big developments steadily parceled out at about the same rate through the rest of the movie, but each scene has a purpose. If something disturbing isn't happening, you can bet the family's relationships are being developed, tying into later events and directly informing the third act and finale, which are largely character driven.

The Witch has a sound narrative structure that could have been applied to most any genre and still produced a satisfying story:

Introduction -> character stuff -> big moment -> reactions and consequences -> character stuff -> big moment -> (etc...) -> finale that builds on previous events and relationships.
Not only that, I thought the the movie did a fantastic job at never letting you feel "safe". Like in a lot of other horror movies, you somewhat know what the characters are free of danger and when they're in danger. But here, between that early moment (
where the witch just steals the baby in broad daylight and right in front of Tomasin
) and how oppressive and inhospitable the wilderness was portrayed, the family never felt safe. Every scene felt tinged with a sense of uncomfortable menace, of that kind of "you do not belong here" atmosphere.

Boring is not how i would describe it. They have the setting right and the atmosphere as well. And the mystery (for a short while) of what it exactly is in the woods is cool, but it misses something. I liked the scenes where we briefly saw the witch, but that's just it....too briefly and too few of these scenes too. I really was expecting much more eerie stuff, the setting is perfect for it but in that aspect underused in my opinion.

I'm still not sure what my thoughts are on the movie after seeing it. Interesting set up, good opening scare, a few scenes that drag on in the middle and an interesting ending. Some of the dialogue did feel a little overly forced at times by trying to make the characters feel like they exist in the 1600's. I also feel like there is a bit too much of an emphasis on showing the characters being overly religious, which felt like filler at times. I also found the fathers obsession of chopping wood to be amusing, but there was a payoff to it in the end. I guess it does work in the context of showing that the character is in denial, and it is not really a complaint that I have. It is more of a side note. And on another side note, I couldn't get over the obvious Canadian landscape. But that is also not another complaint.

I didn't hate The Witch, but it also isn't a movie that strongly resonated with me either. I might have to give it a second viewing. Maybe I will get more out of it on a second viewing. But it is still worth a watch as a movie.

Mohonky

I dunno, GAF also said The Conjuring, Babadook and It Follows were amazing and I thought they were all shit.

Do I trust Horror-GAF again?

(Reasons I disliked the above)

The Conjuring - I was waiting for some sort of really interesting plot twist or something interesting to happen; nothing happens. A text book possession film. Utterly unremarkable.

The Babadook - Somebody kill that kid......

It Follows - a story about a guy that gets friend zoned so hard not even the threat of death can get his crush to sleep with him. An hour and a half of blue balling teenage tension going unreleased.

Well put me in the middle of this. I didn't find it boring at all. All the performances were great, and I really liked the atmosphere and imagery (I want a black goat now). Still I didn't love it, and before I make a final judgement on it I need to process it more. My biggest issue (as poster MrCunningham said before me) despite my love of the subject matter (I am a sucker for anything witchcraft, cult, pagan, etc.) it just didn't resonated as much as I would of liked. I hate even saying that, because it is a good movie. All subjective, but it is not my pick for best horror movie of the last couple of years (I'm not sure what would be, but just off the top of my head I found It Follows superior). Still it might make my top 10 maybe.

I dunno, GAF also said The Conjuring, Babadook and It Follows were amazing and I thought they were all shit.

Horror-GAF? Both Babadook and It Follows were critically acclaimed pretty much everywhere, but you blame Horror-GAF? I have a feeling The Witch is not for you either.

Maybe you don't like horror films? That's a pretty vast range of decent to great horror films. The Witch is very different from them but I feel like it'll be boring to you.

I was honestly a bit disappointing by It Follows, especially after hearing all the the high praise that the movie received. It had a good concept and a strong start, but the movie fell apart for me as it progressed. The Babadook was OK but not memorable. I don;t even remember if I have seen The Conjuring or not, I might have watched it in the cinema, but I have also seen so many other movies in the same vein as it that my memory is just muddled on it.

I was already considering getting this, and because of this topic I took the plunge.

I have a question, though: If this is the best horror film of the last few years, what are the other contenders? Any worth having?

It Follows
Babadook
Cabin in the Woods
You're Next
Kill List
The Conjuring
We Are Still Here
The Woman
The Crazies
Sinister
House of the Devil (kinda older though seven years since release)

Those are the standouts for me. I struggle considering Bone Tomahawk a horror film.

Camwi

I loved both movies.

Seriously. There's no need to shit on one beloved horror flick to prop up another. I'm glad we've got movies like It Follows and The Witch recently, because the horror genre in the US felt so damn weak for such a long time.

How far back counts as "the last few"?

Martyrs, Inside, House of the Devil, the original Paranormal Activity, and The Loved Ones (edit: also [REC] the original) are some of my favorites, but if you're talking just the last 2-3 years, It Follows, Sinister, and The Conjuring have been good. I honestly didn't like The Babadook, but YMMV.

I've also heard good things about Oculus and Kill List.

Oculus, while not as good as others mentioned, is a solid horror flick. It's worth seeing just so you can say that you saw a horror movie produced by WWE, that has nothing to do with WWE, and is actually really good.

I thought The Conjuring was a pretty good possession movie. Probably the best one since The Exorcism of Emily Rose.

I found the Babadook interesting for the first 30 minutes, then it got incredibly silly to me.

It Follows was decent. Great atmosphere, soundtrack, and some really creepy scenes.

To me, The Witch was better than all 3 of those examples. But as I've told people before who've asked me about it, you have to watch it in a quiet, dark place where you won't be disturbed, and allow yourself to be immersed in the dreadful atmosphere. And even if you do all of that, it's still not going to be for everyone.

Oculus, while not as good as others mentioned, is a solid horror flick. It's worth seeing just so you can say that you saw a horror movie produced by WWE, that has nothing to do with WWE, and is actually really good.

Oculus was great. A real mind-fuck of a movie, with an ending that felt like a gut punch.

Treo360

My wife and I watched this, it had atmosphere for sure. The scene with Sam, was yeah, disturbing. We loved the twins. What a dreary movie. Hardly horrifying though.

dlauv

The Conjuring - I was waiting for some sort of really interesting plot twist or something interesting to happen; nothing happens. A text book possession film. Utterly unremarkable.

It Follows - a story about a guy that gets friend zoned so hard not even the threat of death can get his crush to sleep with him. An hour and a half of blue balling teenage tension going unreleased.

Out of those I liked The Conjuring by far the least and The Babadook a little more than It Follows.

I wouldn't say they're extremely good movies, but in the stale horror genre, they're pretty decent for a horror enthusiast. I could understand someone who hates their time being wasted feeling let down by all of those. They're meandering and celebrate the mundane.

Cabin in the Woods is probably the horror movie of the decade, and that's because it knows horror isn't all that scary: it's fun. Sinister kind of stuck with me tho, and Insidious got pretty cute towards the end.

Steamlord

I'm still not sure what my thoughts are on the movie after seeing it. Interesting set up, good opening scare, a few scenes that drag on in the middle and an interesting ending. Some of the dialogue did feel a little overly forced at times by trying to make the characters feel like they exist in the 1600's. I also feel like there is a bit too much of an emphasis on showing the characters being overly religious, which felt like filler at times. I also found the fathers obsession of chopping wood to be amusing, but there was a payoff to it in the end. I guess it does work in the context of showing that the character is in denial, and it is not really a complaint that I have. It is more of a side note. And on another side note, I couldn't get over the obvious Canadian landscape. But that is also not another complaint.

I didn't hate The Witch, but it also isn't a movie that strongly resonated with me either. I might have to give it a second viewing. Maybe I will get more out of it on a second viewing. But it is still worth a watch as a movie.

For what it's worth, a lot of the dialogue was literally taken straight from period sources, manuscripts from witch trials and that sort of thing. So at the very least it's accurate, and that accuracy with the characters and the setting (the architecture and set decoration and lighting, at least, if not the location) really helped with the immersion for me. Also lots of people really were that religious back then - like seriously, they were fucking crazy about God and were pretty much absolutely convinced they were going to hell no matter what they did. Tons of research went into this movie.

And yeah, Eggers wanted to film in Massachusetts but they ended up filming in Ontario instead for budget reasons. Dude really tears his own movie apart in the commentary lol, especially the cinematography.

Finally saw this last night. Yeah... It's brilliant.

It wasn't terrifying to me, but it was certainly exceptionally unnerving and uncomfortable to sit through. Excellent writing, acting, use of music, and cinematography. Set & costume design were fantastic as well. I loved the ending, particularly the
black phillip speaking / shifting into lucifer
reveal.

It's a solid 9/10 from me. Definitely one of the top horror films I've ever seen.

I really loved this film, it is right up my alley when it comes to horror. I will always love gore fests, body horror and Troma, but if you want me to take a horror film seriously this is the way to go about it.

Now I want to watch Antichrist and The Blair Witch Project again, and then a second viewing of this.

Sorry to double post, but after watching this last night I watched the film documentary Threads, they lead to me having some really fucked up dreams (made worse because I'm ill and running a fever).

This is one of those films I constantly think about for a few days after. My only complaint and change I would make would be (ending spoilers)
I wish they didn't fly at the end, it was the closest thing to dumb in the whole film

Nere

Watched it with my girlfriend the other night both of use felt really disappointed.

First of all this isn't a horror movie, why is it advertised as that?

The good parts were the scenery, setting and the actors.

Now the bad parts. The movie was really slow and had a huge plot hole which is the fate of the twins they were just forgotten. The religion part seemed fine at the start but was really overdone in general. Also over the top was the language they were talking, needlesly confusing. A big part of the movie was the bigger sister trolling the little ones and the opposite which I don't think was really interesting, because everything was lies. The ending was over the top, it came out of nowhere and as I mentioned before they forgot some characters. Also the villain of the movie was non existant.

Overall I thought it was a disappointing movie like 4-5/10, saw it because of the recommendation here as a great horror movie but it really isn't a horror movie.

Dennis

Banned
Now the bad parts. The movie was really slow and had a huge plot hole which is the fate of the twins they were just forgotten. The religion part seemed fine at the start but was really overdone in general. Also over the top was the language they were talking, needlesly confusing. A big part of the movie was the bigger sister trolling the little ones and the opposite which I don't think was really interesting, because everything was lies. The ending was over the top, it came out of nowhere and as I mentioned before they forgot some characters. Also the villain of the movie was non existant.

Wow, I completely disagree with basically everything.

1. The movie flew by for me.
2. The exact fate of the
twins is left to your imagination but can only be terrible.
3. The religion being overblown was the point. These are fanatics.
4. The language added much needed authenticity.
5. I loved the little kids trolling their bigger sister about being a witch.
Especially in light of the ending. Lies? They were kinda right.
6. I don't think the ending was over the top - especially considering the gruesome scene in the beginning of the movie.
7. The villain being "nonexistent" is obviously nonsense.
It was the Devil and the witches. I am glad they didn't show some stupid lame movie monster as the Devil. This was much better and more sinister

2. The exact fate of the
6. I don't think the ending was over the top - especially considering the gruesome scene in the beginning of the movie.
It was the Devil and the witches. I am glad they didn't show some stupid lame movie monster as the Devil. This was much better and more sinister

I agree with everything you just said and completely disagree with the quoted post.

cacildo

I feel the same.
The last good horror movie was Rec.

I think its pretty funny about babadook and it follows that you always have a friend saying

"Its fantastic. So scary. Oh my god you have to see it."

And then you go and see it and it sucks balls, its a pretentious piece of (not scary) shit. And then you go back to your friend and he says

"Yeah... it wasnt very good... i never said it was good... it was ok at best..."

I still have to see The Witch but from what i read in thia thread, its Babadook/It follows all over again

Nere

2. The exact fate of the

I agree with everything you just said and completely disagree with the quoted post.

Okey then we can agree that we disagree:D

I feel the same.
The last good horror movie was Rec.

I think its pretty funny about babadook and it follows that you always have a friend saying

"Its fantastic. So scary. Oh my god you have to see it."

And then you go and see it and it sucks balls, its a pretentious piece of (not scary) shit. And then you go back to your friend and he says

"Yeah... it wasnt very good... i never said it was good... it was ok at best..."
4&0
I still have to see The Witch but from what i read in thia thread, its Babadook/It follows all over again

I didn't like Rec very much, but loved It Follows. Haven't seen Babadook.

Really hate the use of pretentious as well. I guess we can't aim for higher or different things for fear of being called pretentious on the internet.

Aske

So interesting how horror movie discussions always boil down to people who like/dislike The Conjuring and The Babadook. Sad to see It Follows lumped in with those two: it's a beautiful example of what can be achieved in horror through extreme subtlety, despite its weak ending.

While The Witch might be as divisive as Conjuring and Babadook in terms of "will I enjoy it?", as a piece of cinema, it has much more in common with It Follows, Alien, Blair Witch, etc; in that regardless of one's enjoyment of the film, it's hard not to recognize that what's being attempted is novel and interesting as a piece of unique horror cinema.

Despite being a huge fan of the genre it spawned, I have no time at all for Blair Witch. I think the film is tedious, because its attempt to rope me in with tension doesn't catch, for whatever reason. But it's a damned impressive movie that I respect and appreciate on a level that transcends my subjective feelings.

The Babadook and The Conjuring are like The Boy, Annabelle, The Last Exorcism, The Awakening, Jessabelle, 10 Clover Field Lane, The Purge, and the myriad other horror flicks that we might feel are amazing or lousy, but would be hard pressed to call objectively unique, unusual, and different pieces of cinema - at least to the degree such objective assessment is possible.

I'd add It Follows and The Witch to The Woman, Estranged, Goodnight Mommy, Martyrs, Funny Games, and other more rare examples of films that successfully bring something fresh and exciting into the world, whether or not they click with me on a level of personal taste. Anyone on the fence who can empathize with me on this will probably have a better idea about what to expect from The Witch.

Dirca

Sorry to double post, but after watching this last night I watched the film documentary Threads, they lead to me having some really fucked up dreams (made worse because I'm ill and running a fever).

This is one of those films I constantly think about for a few days after. My only complaint and change I would make would be (ending spoilers)
I wish they didn't fly at the end, it was the closest thing to dumb in the whole film
I agree. I could buy
the goat possessed by Satan and the witch's familiars, but for some reason the women "flying" at the end just seemed silly. Really wish it just ended with Thomasin joining them at the fire

Kuroyume

Banned
I loved it.

Really liked that it didn't rely heavily on CG-special effects. They really did a tremendous job with the atmosphere. The scene were
Caleb gets lost in the woods and it starts getting dark
was fucking great. And it perfectly captures why
getting lost in the woods
would be traumatic for most people. I could totally feel the tension. And that's really one of the best things about this movie. It's the wilderness. It's a family stuck out in the wild with no help. It really feels like that it can happen to anyone. Obviously the supernatural stuff no, but
getting lost there without any light seems like a nightmare, especially for a kid. Especially after seeing what happened to his dog.

It wasn't so much scary as it was creepy. They could have definitely have added one or two more scenes with
the witches, or a demon
to make it scary. It seems that they chose to not go overboard with that stuff, and it probably helped make the movie better. The family got more screentime than any of the supernatural stuff. Btw,
the scene with the crow nipping at the Katherine's breast was awesome.

Btw, I loved Under The Skin and hated The Babadook.

Clearly this film wasn't for me. I went into this movie knowing absolutely nothing but when I saw the setting and the first look at the witch I was looking forward to getting more a look into the gruesome operations of the witches but instead I got a a much slower burn than I expected and never really got a payoff. I get the feeling this film was never about a payoff though.

I enjoyed a few scenes, particularly at the end when
Thomasin joins the witches whilst they're in the middle of their ritual. I really wanted more scenes like that as it was one of the few times I felt quite nervous throughout the entire film.

That isn't to say I regret watching it, I still found some enjoyment from it but ultimately it left me feeling disappointed.

Camwi

Watched it with my girlfriend the other night both of use felt really disappointed.

Because it's a horror movie.

I agree. I could buy
the goat possessed by Satan and the witch's familiars, but for some reason the women "flying" at the end just seemed silly. Really wish it just ended with Thomasin joining them at the fire

Why? You see
a witch flying
in the beginning of the movie, so it all comes full circle.

napalmjam

I watched this the other night with my partner and the first 20 mins was intriguing then it became really boring and hard to follow.black Phillip was my favourite part of this movie ! Subpar plot excellent goat .

The good parts were the scenery, setting and the actors.

Overall I thought it was a disappointing movie like 4-5/10, saw it because of the recommendation here as a great horror movie but it really isn't a horror movie.

The kids were killed by the Witch, Black Phillip, or whatever it was that tore the barn apart. They just didn't show it outright. Do you really need to see their bodies to know they are dead?

The language is period accurate to the 1600s when the movie takes place. A lot of the dialogue was taken directly from sources like letters and court records from the time.

The entire movie was about the paranoia that comes with living on a frontier combined with oppressive relgious values and the inability for even family members to honestly talk with one another. The family members are all sinners (Father=Pride, Son=Lust, the daughter is a liar, etc.) And witches/Satan too, I guess, but they aren't the real villain of the story, which is why they only show up at the end.

You have to watch with a more critical eye than just "no villain or blood 5/10"

snacknuts

we all knew her
Finally got to see this last night and I really, really liked it, though I can understand why people might not get into it. I loved that I felt like I was out there alone with that family, isolated from any help, and not knowing much more than they did about what was happening.

Camwi

Finally got to see this last night and I really, really liked it, though I can understand why people might not get into it. I loved that I felt like I was out there alone with that family, isolated from any help, and not knowing much more than they did about what was happening.

So you're saying you'd give it two Satanic thumbs up?

image.php

I'm pretty sure the twins were carried off by the witch and used as sacrifices during the séance at the end of the movie.

Nere

The kids were killed by the Witch, Black Phillip, or whatever it was that tore the barn apart. They just didn't show it outright. Do you really need to see their bodies to know they are dead?

The language is period accurate to the 1600s when the movie takes place. A lot of the dialogue was taken directly from sources like letters and court records from the time.

The entire movie was about the paranoia that comes with living on a frontier combined with oppressive relgious values and the inability for even family members to honestly talk with one another. The family members are all sinners (Father=Pride, Son=Lust, the daughter is a liar, etc.) And witches/Satan too, I guess, but they aren't the real villain of the story, which is why they only show up at the end.

You have to watch with a more critical eye than just "no villain or blood 5/10"

I'm pretty sure the twins were carried off by the witch and used as sacrifices during the séance at the end of the movie.

The kids probably died like both of you say but that doesn't mean it is okey to not show anything about it and I can't see how you defend it. The movie had like 6-7 actors to begin with, I am sure they could spend half a minute to portray what happened to them. Both of you say they died but neither of you can say it with 100% certainty because they simply didn't showed anything.

snacknuts

we all knew her
The kids probably died like both of you say but that doesn't mean it is okey to not show anything about it and I can't see how you defend it. The movie had like 6-7 actors to begin with, I am sure they could spend half a minute to portray what happened to them. Both of you say they died but neither of you can say it with 100% certainty because they simply didn't showed anything.

What they don't show you is usually scarier than what they do.

What? This isn't a comic book movie. It doesn't need to show you explicitly when the tone, witch's other actions, and previous events absolutely implies they're dead (or perhaps a fate worse than death). Imagining what she did to them is scarier and darker than anything they could have actually showed

I mean, Eggers showed you a witch grinding a baby into jelly then smearing it over her body.

It's not hard to imagine what happened to the twins. Like Sam's run-in with the witch, I don't need it told to me blatantly. I was fine using my imagination.

Dennis

Banned
I don't want to be overly negative but it is becoming a bit more apparent to me why mainstream movies feel they need to show and explain everything onscreen......

........because Jesus Christ, GAF...some of you....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom