• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LTTP: Virtue's Last Reward

This game is a masterpiece, it was one of my absolute favorite games of the past few years. If a 3rd game doesn't happen, it will be one of the true crimes of this industry.

Can we agree though that Zero III is just incredible? Love that psychotic little rabbit A.I. and his sass. Wish there was more of him!

char_83305.jpg
Yeah, I was disappointed that it just sorta stopped appearing halfway through the game.

The English VA for the character KILLED it. One of the best performances I've heard in a long while. The "Siggy! Fidoooooooooooooooooo!" line still cracks me up.

grim-tales

And the Zero Escape love train continues! :D

One of the saddest moments in gaming history.

Absolutely destroyed me.

I agree, I was very nearly properly crying at Luna's ending.
For a long time I thought Luna would be Zero Sr as well because that seemed an obvious thing to do, making a sweet, friendly and gentle person be a villain. So when it was revealed she wasnt and was genuinely nice, I felt a mixture of relief and surprise.
Quark was such a letdown. I think theres so much more they could have done with this character.

Jintor

Yeah, I was disappointed that it just sorta stopped appearing halfway through the game.

The English VA for the character KILLED it. One of the best performances I've heard in a long while. The "Siggy! Fidoooooooooooooooooo!" line still cracks me up.

She's... hmmm... the brooklyn-voiced chick in Persona 4 Arena hey

Amazing game. Apart from some of the puzzles I loved every minute.
Second
best VN on the Vita.

Not played it since I got the plat in 2013. Might be time to go through the series again, although I've remembered most of it now since reading this topic so I might wait a bit longer.

I'll play it when ZE3 gets announced.

Also, how was the English dub? I played the EU version so it was all Japanese voices. Nonary gamuu!

aravuus

As far as insane twists goes Ever17 honestly blows this game out of the water IMO--it actually stunned me in disbelief a few times. Objectively, VLR is the better game in most ways, but I'd still recommend Ever17 if you loved VLR's story and can tolerate a traditional VN structure and some slice of life mixed in. It was pretty unforgettable.

Also "spoilers" should be added to the thread title seeing as how the first sentences of the OP jump right into untagged spoiler territory.

I dunno, I think the impact of the twists depend heavily on which one you played first, Ever17 or the ZE games, (spoilers for both I suppose)
since the latter borrow a lot from the former. I can see 999 and VLR twists having a smaller impact if you've already played E17 and know they're from the same writer

e: case in point,
I thought E17 had a bit weaker twists cause I played it after 999 and, I'm pretty sure, VLR too.
I'm probably a bit biased though, since I thought the twists were pretty much the only great thing about E17

Labrys

She's... hmmm... the brooklyn-voiced chick in Persona 4 Arena hey

my namesake you mean

on topic, glad you liked it OP. it's one of my favorite games even if 999 is a tad better. I ended up getting Dio ending first which made things. Kinda confusing.

Hope when they announce Zero Escape 3 for Steam this week they also announce the first two games ported. I'd love to do a replay in a higher resolution and take a ton of screenshots.

;____;
Dont do that to me... not only it hurts but I'm short on money. Shenmue 3 KS already got me 300 dollars... if ZE1 and 2 comes to Steam... I'll have to buy them on day one ;___;

Glad you enjoyed it, OP. My impressions were quite similar to my own, with one major difference. I stumbled on the GAULMs quite early on in the game, and as a result I was suspecting everyone of being a robot for pretty much the entire game. Every time I reached a plot moment where there was a corpse, I was waiting for that person to wake up as soon as my back was turned. I'm glad to see that the only GAULM was a real robro, and pretty much the only person that didn't backstab anyone.

Hope when they announce Zero Escape 3 for Steam this week they also announce the first two games ported. I'd love to do a replay in a higher resolution and take a ton of screenshots.
I was going to point out that 999's sprites wouldn't scale up all that impressively, but I just noticed the mobile version had re-drawn portraits. That'd make me double-dip for a Steam re-release. It'd just be nice to have a whole trilogy on a single system, but I won't be too fussy about platforms.

Feep

Banned
I will yell this at them loudly as I throw money at them. It should work.

I've literally never revealed this until now, but if you say "Zero Escape: Virtue's Last Reward" in the War Room of There Came an Echo, this line (said by its voice actress, Cindy Robinson, who plays Heather Farrick in TCAE and Zero III in VLR) is said. A rerecording, of course.

Labrys

I've literally never revealed this until now, but if you say "Zero Escape: Virtue's Last Reward" in the War Room of There Came an Echo, this line (said by its voice actress, Cindy Robinson, who plays Heather Farrick in TCAE) is said. A rerecording, of course.

i need to reinstall there came an echo now just for this

GLuigi

Anyone else going to the AX panel this week?

Because I'm fucking going and I will throw money toward the front of the room. Like, just a bunch of twenty dollar bills, I don't care.

I'm going to try to make it to the panel.

Taking a train to LA, so this would be the perfect time for me to replay VLR

PKrockin

I dunno, I think the impact of the twists depend heavily on which one you played first, Ever17 or the ZE games, (spoilers for both I suppose)
since the latter borrow a lot from the former. I can see 999 and VLR twists having a smaller impact if you've already played E17 and know they're from the same writer

e: case in point,
I thought E17 had a bit weaker twists cause I played it after 999 and, I'm pretty sure, VLR too.
I'm probably a bit biased though, since I thought the twists were pretty much the only great thing about E17
I played 999 and VLR first, and I was still more shocked by Ever17's twists because they were smarter about setting them up and their implications felt bigger.

Also, how was the English dub? I played the EU version so it was all Japanese voices. Nonary gamuu!
Some great performances and the only bad I can think of is that Quark was maybe mediocre?

I've literally never revealed this until now, but if you say "Zero Escape: Virtue's Last Reward" in the War Room of There Came an Echo, this line (said by its voice actress, Cindy Robinson, who plays Heather Farrick in TCAE) is said. A rerecording, of course.
This is incredible.

aravuus

I played 999 and VLR first, and I was still more shocked by Ever17's twists because they were smarter about setting them up and their implications felt bigger.

There's always an exception to the rule lol

I agree that people should give E17 a try too. Good luck on trying to find it for a reasonable price, though.

NotLiquid

What's up with that one teaser site that happened a while ago anyway? I know people were banking on it being Zero Escape but did anything happen to that or did anyone figure something out?

I've literally never revealed this until now, but if you say "Zero Escape: Virtue's Last Reward" in the War Room of There Came an Echo, this line (said by its voice actress, Cindy Robinson, who plays Heather Farrick in TCAE and Zero III in VLR) is said. A rerecording, of course.

OH MY GOD.

I love you.

Jakku

It's fun to see what other people felt about the game. I personally loved 999, but felt VLR was lacking a bit of the magic of the first game. The gameplay was vastly improved, as well as the branching tree that let you jump whenever on a whim so you didn't have to annoyingly redo that first puzzle which is burned in to my memory for all time. I just didn't like it as much? I think I just miss the proper horror tone. I always felt extremely tense in 999, like my main character could have gotten killed at any time. For anyone thinking of playing VLR, do yourself a favour and find a way to play 999 first, as you miss out on a lot of extra stuff by not being clued in.

Dangan Ronpa is more my thing though. if you haven't played it yet I vastly recommend it, the second game being my favourite Vita game easily.

Skii

Also "spoilers" should be added to the thread title seeing as how the first sentences of the OP jump right into untagged spoiler territory.

I don't get it. I don't spoil anything in the first few lines. My second sentence even warns you this thread will be full of spoilers.

It's very impressive. Hands down one of the best dubbed videogames of all time. An easy 10/10.

This is probably my biggest regret. I played the PAL version as I'm in the UK and managed to get this game on sale one day. The japanese voice acting was fine but just listening to some of the English voice actors and I missed out on some quality VA. There were a lot of familiar voices from another beloved franchise (Persona).

At least this gives me incentive to replay the entire game again.

PKrockin

It's fun to see what other people felt about the game. I personally loved 999, but felt VLR was lacking a bit of the magic of the first game. The gameplay was vastly improved, as well as the branching tree that let you jump whenever on a whim so you didn't have to annoyingly redo that first puzzle which is burned in to my memory for all time. I just didn't like it as much? I think I just miss the proper horror tone. I always felt extremely tense in 999, like my main character could have gotten killed at any time. For anyone thinking of playing VLR, do yourself a favour and find a way to play 999 first, as you miss out on a lot of extra stuff by not being clued in.

Dangan Ronpa is more my thing though. if you haven't played it yet I vastly recommend it, the second game being my favourite Vita game easily.
I agree the atmosphere was a bit lacking compared to 999. For me, a lot of it had to do with how the games opened. Spoilers for both:
999 sets the tone by locking you in a flooding room and blowing up the 9th man for not following the rules. The hard time limit is also established, pushing the characters forward. VLR starts by revealing you were never in any danger in that AB room after all. And the time limit is replaced by sort of "free time" to hang around and do whatever between voting and solving puzzles. At least it does make for more natural OH BY THE WAY LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT ICE-9 moments.
Probably helped that I played 999 first too.

I don't get it. I don't spoil anything in the first few lines. My second sentence even warns you this thread will be full of spoilers.
Uhh... I have no idea why I posted that there were spoilers "in the first sentences." I must have misread something.

Ralemont

not me
The Luna ending is really the climax of the game. Everything that comes after is a disappointment, especially punting Phi's story to the next game.

I'd be okay even if he was a minor character with more involvement than a simple mention in Clover's late dialog in VLR.

He was a fantastic character in 999 and a huge swinging point in that story.

Actually Uchikoshi had a tweet a while ago saying to tweet him if you'd like to see Snake back in ZE3, so it sounds like he has some sort of role for him in mind.

Swamped

Banned
To me, VLR was a much more polished experience than 999. But I'm similar to you in that I preferred 999 simply because it was the first time I had played a visual novel, and what a VN to start with! The atmosphere in VLR was certainly lacking, but I'm hoping Uchikoshi will bring back that 999 magic in the final installment.

One fantastic thing about VLR was that the big reveal moments were not just a bunch of characters explaining the twist. During the final moments leading up to the twists there were always clues to help you piece things together.

HardRojo

Will read OP whenever I get the time. So freaking busy right now :(

Also, why is everyone talking as if ZE3 was all but confirmed? Has something happened recently and I missed it?

Thud

True ending ruined the game for me.

"You want to know what happened? Buy our next game! Lol"

999 was done. Open ending, wanting more, but not being forced. They dragged VLR on too long imo, which is why I like 999 more.

I hope zero escape 3 will bring closure, but a Danganronpa 3 will be more my jam. I moved on guys.

Veal

Holy shit.

Kookos

Incredibly detailed LTTP, it was a real pleasure to read it!

49 hours till the 4infinity countdown ends. I'm so gonna replay 999 and VLR if it turns out to be ZE3.

999 was done. Open ending, wanting more, but not being forced. They dragged VLR on too long imo, which is why I like 999 more.

I hope zero escape 3 will bring closure, but a Danganronpa 3 will be more my jam. I moved on guys.

Well, Danganronpa 3 was confirmed to be in early development so I am happy for you.

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!

You moved on to something vastly inferior. Danganronpa 2 in particular was very disappointing and certain parts of the game were downright embarrassing. They even somehow found a way to make the gameplay worse than Danganronpa 1. I don't know how, but they found a way. I cant say I'm excited for DR3 after 2. But I'll scream like an excited schoolgirl when ZE3 gets announced.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
I've said it before but the moment where Phi gets pissed at you for betraying her in another timeline is one of the single best "video game exclusive emotional moments" I've ever seen. You couldn't do that in a non-interactive format. Its so effective precisely because the game has been training you through your own interaction with its mechanics to regard timelines and events as disposable and without consequence.

grim-tales

Just had a thought (Luna spoilers)
We know that Luna was based on Diana right? But Sigma met Diana AFTER creating Luna and probably lost his eye/arms trying to save her. But he fell in love with Luna.
Who does he love first?

Top Bottom