• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lucasfilm finally announces Star Wars for Blu-ray

Status
Not open for further replies.

dmr87

nbM.gif

Branduil

I hope you all realize that part of his Writers Agreement certainly includes not talking about the film without express permission from the producers and especially not talking about the film in any way that damages it.

I don't see how a Writers Agreement could apply retroactively to things you said before the job was even conceived but I guess stupider things have happened.

Faddy

Banned
At first I thought this was hilarious, but then I realized that I would do the exact same thing if I was in his shoes.

Trying to delete things from the internet generally has the opposite effect, especially when you aren't actually deleting the content because it has been quoted. He isn't going to be in a position to change the things he complained about like bad puppets so if any of this stuff did come up he gives a standard response.

He has been a long time fan of the series and always hopes that Star Wars can be the best films they can be and he will write with that mindset.

Fanboys would argue about the comments regardless. Deleting the comments makes him look ashamed of them or he was ordered to remove them after they were flagged up. Either way it looks like he lacks integrity to stick to his beliefs or is easily manipulated to change his views. It opens him to many more lines of attack from the fandom.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Detective Mouse > DetectiveGAF. Disney probably isn't surprised by any of this. Hell it wouldn't shock me if they were the ones who asked him to clean up his online presence back in February. I'm sure he'll be just fine once all this is forgotten (plus I'm excited to see a Star Wars film written by Whitta).

A Star Wars film made by someone who likes Star Wars. It will be something we haven't seen since the 80's.

If you guys don't think Disney haven't already background checked Gary, you're crazy. They know and they don't care. Lucas isn't involved with these movies anymore for a reason.

And it's quite possible that Disney knew about all this, and simply asked Gary to scrub what he could.

Whitta went and edited away part of what defines him on GAF, and that's rubbing people the wrong way.

If you legitimately get irritated that someone's wiping a couple of tossed-off forum posts in case they endanger him writing a movie that he's wanted to write for his entire career, I'd suggest that you need to adjust your perspective slightly.

dorkimoe

now someone is screencapping this thread

people are dicks

Congrats to him, and trust me...i bet money Abrams and any other star wars fan who was upset by the prequels has said the exact same things.

Do people really think that George lucas himself isnt disappointed in the prequels? lol

Dead Man

After Earth should've been the first thing you thought about being worried about the script. Not these edits.

Haven't seen it yet, don't plan on watching it. But yes, it is not the only reason to be concerned, but it is concerning in that even if he delivers an amazing script its production will be hamfisted.

Goyer recently just called fans who've heard of Martian Manhunter virgins and thinks the Hulk and She-Hulk are incest fuckbuddies. And he's still somewhat involved with Batman v Superman. I think it's fair to say Whitta will be safe from this.

C'mon Whitta my man, this is amateur levels of covering your tracks. I thought you understood the internet.

Cheerilee

Are you fucking serious?

Gary said the truth, and Star Wars needs more writers like him. He edited his posts to protect his job.

The mods aren't going to shut down this thread just to protect him. But if this thread gets out of control, of course it can be shut down. One could say it's been significantly derailed already. Pages and pages of nothing to do with Star Wars BluRays, just people laughing at a guy who might get fired.

I'm not sure if the mods want it to happen, but burning down a thread is an easy thing. For starters, we could laugh harder, and post more gifs.

people are dicks

Congrats to him, and trust me...i bet money Abrams and any other star wars fan who was upset by the prequels has said the exact same things.

Do people really think that George lucas himself isnt disappointed in the prequels? lol

Lucas isn't because he made exactly what he wanted to make and had nobody to answer to. He's said as much recently. He was making movies for kids.

One can argue that he was grossly out of touch with what everyone else thought of Star Wars (I certainly would) but he basically views his creation like Nintendo views Pokemon: there's a certain age range he was producing for, and it doesn't matter that people age out of it because there's always new, younger fans waiting.

Obviously priorities have changed and Disney wants to make movies out of Star Wars again (the perks of merchandising is just icing on that cake, you don't need movies to sell Star Wars toys).

I think the edits bother people because it sends the message, and I know this is a harsh way of putting it, that he's basically willing to sell out his integrity.
He's writing Star Wars, not some important piece of literature like a biography or something involving historical facts.

Integrity plays no role here.

Slime

Banned
I bet LFL/Disney would be hard pressed to find creative people who are also passionate fans and don't feel this way. Hell, if you think they're not trying to distance themselves from the PT and market this to people exactly like Gary, you're dreaming.

Him going back and editing his posts is awkward, but it's something anyone would do when "interviewing for a job." Just so happens that Gary's job is a little more high profile than most.

I hope this doesn't bite him in the ass. Saying "fuck Lucas for ____" is pretty much the Star Wars fan creed, precisely because they love what he's created so much. When someone like Whitta says shit like that, it's the kid who once saw Lucas as some infallible deity talking, not the professional set to step into his shoes and write a film. Who the fuck can account for something like that?

people are dicks

insert rickmccallumrealizingtheyvekilledstarwars.gif

Heh. Don't want to derail, but pretty much.

Back on topic:

Regardless of who writes the fucking movie, Disney knows that every one of these raging fanboys will be in line day one. In fact, as long as they're confident in their pick, they probably have a surprising amout of latitude. It's Star Wars, for gods sake. The fanboys being in line day 0 are a given.

Darkmakaimura

Can You Imagine What SureAI Is Going To Do With Garfield?
Until this thread, I did not know there was a poster here who was honestly involved with the new Star Wars movies.

LevelNth

Banned
Editing is irrelevant. If the comments affect his job in any way, it's his responsibility to take accountability for his actions. He made them. Whether they are so old as to be of little consequence is up to his employers, but nevertheless, he made them.

What IS relevant is his proven track record of quality screenwriting, and if anything should be causing a stir, it's that. My anticipation for this film could not be lower. Would love to see him prove me wrong though.

So, I can imagine Jeremy putting up that post, hoping it goes viral, gets picked up by multiple pop-culture bloggers and entertainment sites, spreading the narrative he's obviously pushing, in which Whitta "Hates" Star Wars, and he gets lots of attention and thanks for being the guy who exposed the fraud that is Gary Whitta, who is obviously just pretending to like Star Wars as a means to suck sweet greenbacks out of the Lucasfilm teat.

BUT:

Let's say this thing actually starts to get spread around. And pop-culture entertainment sites start to run with it.

How does the public at large see quotes from a screenwriter pointing out Special Edition flaws, storytelling mistakes, and general disappointments from the Prequel Trilogy that aren't anywhere NEAR considered a minority opinion - and come to the conclusion whoever this Gary Whitta guy is, he's a straight shooter. At least up until the point he tried to cover his ass.

But in what universe does Gary Whitta taking shots at the Special Editions and the Prequels cause confidence in him to go BACKWARDS? If anything, I'd think the common viewer would be like "Well... yeah. Jabba looked stupid. Greedo shouldn't have ever shot."

Especially since Lucasfilm, ever since being sold, has made sure to distance themselves from the prequels as much as possible.

I can imagine the BadassDigest headline now: "Star Wars writer pisses off Star Wars fans by Being Right on the Internet."

Toparaman

Banned
Trying to delete things from the internet generally has the opposite effect, especially when you aren't actually deleting the content because it has been quoted. He isn't going to be in a position to change the things he complained about like bad puppets so if any of this stuff did come up he gives a standard response.

He has been a long time fan of the series and always hopes that Star Wars can be the best films they can be and he will write with that mindset.

Fanboys would argue about the comments regardless. Deleting the comments makes him look ashamed of them or he was ordered to remove them after they were flagged up. Either way it looks like he lacks integrity to stick to his beliefs or is easily manipulated to change his views. It opens him to many more lines of attack from the fandom.

Lacks integrity to stick to his beliefs. Come on now. They're fucking movies.

duckroll

Okay, while there have been ups and downs here, some humor, and some (not enough) thoughtful reflection on how what we post on the internet can follow us around, I think we have exhausted any sort of actual discussion about the topic at hand. We don't need to give Manabyte's attempts to fuel the flames any more attention because they don't deserve any, and I wish Whitta the best of luck on writing the biggest film of his career.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom