• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LUCY - directed by Luc Besson, starring Scarlett Johannson, music by Eric Serra

Status
Not open for further replies.

Axiology

I saw this yesterday. One of the stupidest movies I've seen in a long while. Complete garbage, is what I'm saying.

"See, fellow professors and associates, we've accomplished a lot with only 10% of our brain, but look at how great these dolphins are with their 12%. Echolocation motherfuckers."

Zero315

Banned
have you guys seen the wikipedia entry?

I wish that was actually true. I just got back and good lord, this movie was complete garbage. Bad acting, bad effects, Morgan Freeman was there because reasons. So much pointless dialog that I actually started to doze off.

Pointless car... chase? Was anyone actually chasing them? And why were there cars randomly flying through the air? Unlocking your brain allows you to time travel and turns you into a computer? Wait, why is she melting? We Akira now? Is she god? Flash drive?

Oh, and best of all
I AM EVERYWHERE.

I can't with this fucking movie. How this is sitting at 56% on RT, I haven't a clue.

Praise Lucy, I guess?

The premise of this movie is wrong. Its a fact that humans don't only use 10% of their brain. When the premise is wrong than what's the point other than the random "cool" effects. Lucy is trying to be sorta serious but apparently no research actually went into the making of the movie.

From Vulture
Some people are complaining about the fact that the science behind your film — the whole idea that humans only use 10 percent of their brains — is not true. What’s your response to that?
It’s totally not true. Do they think that I don’t know this? I work on this thing for nine years and they think that I don’t know it’s not true? Of course I know it’s not true!
Why some people think the film at any point is attempting to be serious is beyond me.

Its just a really boring film that lacks any cohesion stylistically, memorable characters, or dramatic tension. It wasn't even that crazy given the resources they had, I wanted something much more off the wall. The script obviously sucked but it wasn't because of its heavy handed parts imo.

It did make me feel like Luc Bresson could do a live action Akira justice though.

The whole fun of the movie is you know from the very start that no one will be able to stop Lucy. Personally I thought the complete loss of her ability to express emotions and matter of fact answers to everything past the rather tense opening and call to the parents was rather amusing.

Axiology

From Vulture

Why some people think the film at any point is attempting to be serious is beyond me.

Because it's stupid. And not in a clever, funny way, but in a way that makes you roll your eyes every time they try to sell you on the idea that anything about the story isn't fucking dumb. A lot of people have been pulling out this tired excuse like, "well, do people really come to a movie like this expecting realism?"

If they said it was magic pills, or that she was the result of some scientific experiment that modified her body to perform crazy feats I would swallow it up far sooner than "well, she can do all this because unlike the rest of us she can use more of her brain." They even have a whole powerpoint presentation in the movie, just to convince the audience that this is something a collection of high-level scientists would actually entertain.

I'm sorry, but even the best action won't mitigate the fact that it's a stupid premise, and that the stuff in the movie that wasn't related to the premise wasn't good either.

Something like this really makes me appreciate something like Kill Bill more- a movie that is also highly unrealistic, but also far more functional, better written and exciting.

Edit: Also, I can't take the whole "not serious" thing as an excuse when the film plays itself mostly straight. If this was a dark comedy like Hot Fuzz then maybe.

I don't really think the "the movie not trying to be serious thing" really applies here but if it did it I don't see why it would be true. How is this movie not trying to be serious? The content is serious. It's the future, the world is run by gangs and crime syndicates, and this chick is a drug mule that has something leak inside her; not exactly a comedy.

It's fine that the movie is fiction, it's just weird that its entire premise is something that is flat out untrue. It's also weird that one of the movie's main characters plays a neuroscientist going around speaking said untruth and people casually believing it as if this movie was made a decade ago when we thought it was actually true.

I think they could have just left the whole 10% thing out and said the drug is affecting her brain somehow that's giving her these powers.

Anyway, the reviews mostly seem to support my prediction that this is the kind of movie I may watch late late night on HBO some night because there's nothing else on.

Because it's stupid. And not in a clever, funny way, but in a way that makes you roll your eyes every time they try to sell you on the idea that anything about the story isn't fucking dumb. A lot of people have been pulling out this tired excuse like, "well, do people really come to a movie like this expecting realism?"

If they said it was magic pills, or that she was the result of some scientific experiment that modified her body to perform crazy feats I would swallow it up far sooner than "well, she can do all this because unlike the rest of us she can use more of her brain." They even have a whole powerpoint presentation in the movie, just to convince the audience that this is something a collection of high-level scientists would actually entertain.

I'm sorry, but even the best action won't mitigate the fact that it's a stupid premise, and that the stuff in the movie that wasn't related to the premise wasn't good either.

Something like this really makes me appreciate something like Kill Bill more- a movie that is also highly unrealistic, but also far more functional, better written and exciting.

Edit: Also, I can't take the whole "not serious" thing as an excuse when the film plays itself mostly straight. If this was a dark comedy like Hot Fuzz then maybe.

How do you take it as anything but a dark comedy? Take the hospital scene where she
casually walks in and shoots a patient, only to say "he was going to die anyway"
Or even the opening where the boyfriend
gets taken out as he's cheering her on
. Or the many scenes where Lucy dryly responds to numerous threats and so on. Nothing about the movie is played straight, even the presentation has numerous moments where it makes it clear that its nonsense with the questions given and the complete non-answers.

wow what a terrible movie not worth $8.00 for admission this is probbley the 2nd worst movie of the year with the first being transformers.

I really don't understand the people calling it fun. Even if you don't care about the premise and are along for the ride, she doesn't even do anything that interesting, especially outside of the couple scenes you've already seen in the trailers.

By the end of the move, the villains are so unneeded to the plot that they're practically related to side-story fodder because they felt Lucy sitting in a chair for 20 minutes would bring the pace down. You have the female Neo in your movie and your entire climax involves a generic cops vs gangsters shootout. Not to mention they didn't even have the balls to go full Akira with it.

Denton

I saw this yesterday. One of the stupidest movies I've seen in a long while. Complete garbage, is what I'm saying.

"See, fellow professors and associates, we've accomplished a lot with only 10% of our brain, but look at how great these dolphins are with their 12%. Echolocation motherfuckers."

It's posts like these that make me really hyped for it. The greater hyperbole someone spews, the more I look forward to it. Funny how that works.

Why are people so put out by the premise of this movie, whilst laser swords, dream altering, giant mind controlled robots, and nuclear enlarged lizards get a pass with their absurdity?

BearPawB

Banned
Why are people so put out by the premise of this movie, whilst laser swords, dream altering, giant mind controlled robots, and nuclear enlarged lizards get a pass with their absurdity?

I can imagine laser swords existing.
I can imagine a nuclear lizard.

There is simply no way that just by using more of my brain i suddenly defy the laws of physics.

It wouldn't be so bad if the movie didn't take itself so seriously. This movie thinks it is smart. It thinks it is making a statement. But, it is just dumb.

There is simply no way that just by using more of my brain i suddenly defy the laws of physics.

It wouldn't be so bad if the movie didn't take itself so seriously. This movie thinks it is smart. It thinks it is making a statement. But, it is just dumb.

I feel like it is just an origin story to make someone a superhero though. I am not a huge Marvel buff, but I feel many people became superheros under their guidance in sillier ways over the years.

I feel like this movie is getting a lot of hate just cause the main the main premise is based on a popularized myth. Sure,the core idea behind the movie is illogical, but you can pull apart many movies with a fantasy theme for been illogical.

I am happy to get lost in such movies, and just appreciate the absurdity. However, I was happy to enjoy stuff like Push, Jumper, and Wanted as well over the years, so maybe I am just easily pleased.

anaron

I think at the beginning of the movie.

5Ikuz4p.gif

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
Just got back from it and thought it was pretty bad ass and crazy. Which is exactly what I expected.

Not sure what others were expecting from it?

Aselith

Because in movies with laser swords and shit they just exist in the world they're not the major focus of the movie with an on screen display to tell you the percentage of dumb the movie is as it goes on.

Just got back from it and thought it was pretty bad ass and crazy. Which is exactly what I expected.

Not sure what others were expecting from it?

I certainly wasn't expecting her to tell her mother she can "taste her breastmilk."

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
Because in movies with laser swords and shit they just exist in the world they're not the major focus of the movie with an on screen display to tell you the percentage of dumb the movie is as it goes on.

I certainly wasn't expecting her to tell her mother she can "taste her breastmilk."

There was definitely dialogue that could've been worded better.

vivftp

Just got back from seeing it. About 30 minutes in the projector overheated, meaning we got no video but got audio. After dicking around with it for 10 minutes they got it started again! problem being we missed a good chunk of the movie and apparently they did not have the ability to fast forward it to the point where we left off. This meant we had to watch the entire first 30 minutes again.

In the end, pretty boring movie. The best part was that we all got free passes afterwards so I can at least tell myself I didn't have to pay to watch it!

Aselith

There was definitely dialogue that could've been worded better.

I laughed out loud when she gets through this monologue that makes her sound like she fucking TRIPPING BALLS and her mom is like "honey, you broke up there what was that?" I don't think that was intended. Also, her mom didn't seem worried and she sounded like a legit lunatic or high on jenkem or a person about to commit suicide and I think all three of those would worry any mom a LOT.

DaveH

I feel like I might have enjoyed this film when I was ten.

It's short, it's contemporary-set non-horror sci-fi (not particularly smart sci-fi, but not intended to be either) with a little action and a female lead many find attractive... I don't recommend it, but I also wouldn't tell someone interested in it not to watch it.

Did anyone else find it odd that it begins in Taipei, Taiwan but that the villains were all Korean?

Edit: This feels like a first draft or outline for a better film. Luc Besson has a habit of remaking films (importing / modifying the films of others or even reworking his own) for Americans. This feels like one of the films he made with and for a foreign audience on a shoestring budget over the course of two weeks, sort of in the Hong Kong style, with big ideas ripe to be reworked into something greater... but this is not that greater work by a mile. If you're used to wonky foreign film, you'll probably not be as offended by Lucy as people expecting a more polished product.

Ermac

Proudly debt free. If you need a couple bucks, just ask.
This movie was WILD. I actually liked it a lot tbh. There was a lot of cheesy dialog but the audience was laughing along with it. If you take the movie for what it is it's highly enjoyable. I really liked the third act. It's basically is 2001 like others said.

Brakke

Banned
Movie is hot garbage. It's really a squandered thing, Besson clearly thinks he's doing something important--sharing the philosophies of his soul--but everything is trite, heavy-handed nonsense. The action is even interesting, that scene where Lucy walks up the hallway just hoisting dudes with her mind looked great. The car chase was great. Every time anybody opened their mouth, pls.

Weirdly split the difference between legit good and Total Campy Nonsense, but didn't land either aspect. Noah did National Geographic montages better. Cannot recommend anyone see this, just watch The Fifth Element instead.

This movie was WILD. I actually liked it a lot tbh. There was a lot of cheesy dialog but the audience was laughing along with it. If you take the movie for what it is it's highly enjoyable. I really liked the third act. It's basically is 2001 like others said.

Jesus read the 2001 comparison and wept.

Wow, it's incredibly entertaining reading all the negative comments on here. You peeps clearly are taking it waay too seriously, and didn't get Besson's angle or humor throughout the movie. Ah well.

I wish that was actually true. I just got back and good lord, this movie was complete garbage. Bad acting, bad effects, Morgan Freeman was there because reasons. So much pointless dialog that I actually started to doze off.

Pointless car... chase? Was anyone actually chasing them? And why were there cars randomly flying through the air? Unlocking your brain allows you to time travel and turns you into a computer? Wait, why is she melting? We Akira now? Is she god? Flash drive?

Oh, and best of all
I AM EVERYWHERE.

I can't with this fucking movie. How this is sitting at 56% on RT, I haven't a clue.

Praise Lucy, I guess?

Paris car chase: they were in a hurry to get the 3 fairy dust bags from the hospital. Eventually, local PD got suspicious and went after them.

Cars flying: Lucy made those street blockers go up after they went through the street. Momentum + raised blockers caused the cars to flip and fly.

Turning into a computer: No, Lucy absorbed the tech nearby to make a PC, as she promised Morgan Freeman, and store all of her knowledge to pass it on. Since she had complete and absolute control over her cellular makeup, she was able to retain her physical human body while extending herself into that black tentacle thing.

There was no melting...o_0 She cannot be god because she did not create the universe. She died but was able to retain her consciousness, duh? Flash drives are very commonly used to store large amounts of data. What else would she use in an urgent situation?

Come on, bru :/

Ermac

Proudly debt free. If you need a couple bucks, just ask.
Yo someone find me a hole in space flash drive like the one in the movie.

Brakke

Banned
Paris car chase: they were in a hurry to get the 3 fairy dust bags from the hospital. Eventually, local PD got suspicious and went after them.

Cars flying: Lucy made those street blockers go up after they went through the street. Momentum + raised blockers caused the cars to flip and fly.

Turning into a computer: No, Lucy absorbed the tech nearby to make a PC, as she promised Morgan Freeman, and store all of her knowledge to pass it on. Since she had complete and absolute control over her cellular makeup, she was able to retain her physical human body while extending herself into that black tentacle thing.

There was no melting...o_0 She cannot be god because she did not create the universe. She died but was able to retain her consciousness, duh? Flash drives are very commonly used to store large amounts of data. What else would she use in an urgent situation?

"duh"

Lol everything has an apologist. Bur also I'm glad you got something out of it.

"So is any of this science at all or is it total bullshit?"

"Yes, I'm making all of this up right now, based on exactly nothing."

"Wow. So could you please make up more things?"

"No I've made up all the things I can sorry."

Best lecture.

Oh, and best of all
I AM EVERYWHERE.

I see someone wasn't using 10% of their brain :p

Selfdestruct makes it pretty clear.

Mario

Sidhe / PikPok
Choose between this and Hercules tonight. Lucy it was.

I knew the science was going to be nonsense going in, but little did I suspect it would be that much nonsense. It had its moments, but I couldn't get past the poor science when it was proactively using "science" to aid the narrative.

I think I enjoyed Limitless more for a similar take on the subject given it at least maintained tenuous plausibility.

If only this had leveraged stem cells and "body reconfiguration" in the mix I would have enjoyed this more. "Magic" didn't cut it.

This movie sucked. This pains me as a luc besson fan to say of course. I'm pretty sure Le Grand Bleu has more action in it than Lucy. The only reason this movie was tolerable was because I paid 30 bucks for two people and really wanted to eat popcorn. It's not even brain-dead fun, it's just bad. Avoid at all costs.

Zero315

Banned
Did anyone else find it odd that it begins in Taipei, Taiwan but that the villains were all Korean?

My cousin speaks Chinese and that bothered her. She also said they were switching between Chinese, Korean and Japanese. Also Lucy and her roommate living there and not being able to speak or read the language.

Cars were flying before the blockers, did you miss the one beside them that went spinning over their car?

Turning into a computer: No, Lucy absorbed the tech nearby to make a PC

So... she turned into a computer.

There was no melting...o_0

Black tentacle goo isn't melting? Also the random disentegrating on the airplane.

She cannot be god because she did not create the universe.

The time travel and interacting wirth the monkey certainly gave off that impression. Also, I AM EVERYWHERE sounds pretty omnipotent to me.

She died but was able to retain her consciousness, duh?

wat

Flash drives are very commonly used to store large amounts of data. What else would she use in an urgent situation?

Oh, I don't know, maybe the super computer that she built? All the knowledge in the universe fits on a flash drive, good to know.

That's what I'm saying.

Cars were flying before the blockers, did you miss the one beside them that went spinning over their car?
Her crazy fast weaving in and out of traffic causing massive pile ups plus her power to toss shit with her mind ontop of her controlling barricades = I'm not sure wut you're not getting here ..

So... she turned into a computer.

She made a computer ... she said so in the dang movie. She said she would build a computer and make a way for him to have asses to the information.

Black tentacle goo isn't melting? Also the random disentegrating on the airplane.

No, that's not melting lol! And her explanation was that some of her cells were rejecting the drug. That's why she was able to fix it when she took more of her drug.

The time travel and interacting wirth the monkey certainly gave off that impression. Also, I AM EVERYWHERE sounds pretty omnipotent to me.

She may be god-like but there's no reason to think she made the universe or something.

Oh, I don't know, maybe the super computer that she built? All the knowledge in the universe fits on a flash drive, good to know.

Clearly that's a USB that pierces the universe.

Those are some strange things to pick out, replies in bold.

Cronox

Banned
Reposting from the other thread about this movie, with a small edit:
While I liked the aesthetics of the movie, and some of the sequences towards the end, it lost me early on with its premise. Limitless had a similar premise, but it didn't bother me because that movie didn't hammer its premise into you over and over, treating it as fact. Everything Morgan Freeman says in this movie is such bullshit. Junk science that anyone with a few minutes and internet access can verify. That it goes on in a class room (what class is this? TED talk prep 101?) complete with students asking questions was so cringe-worthy. That Morgan Freeman is Hollywood's leading "trusted, wise man narrator" voice makes this even more disingenuous.

Luc Besson knows the premise of his movie isn't true. Based on an interview where he said he was working on this film for 9 years, you'd think he could have replaced it with a premise that at least had some bearing in reality. Planet of the Apes is more likely to happen in reality than this movie. At least that's possible. When Lucy is (early spoiler)
shaking in the jail cell and starts sticking to walls and ceilings
, my suspension of disbelief just couldn't take it. I'm sorry, if we use more of our brain we don't get to
start defying gravity and other laws of physics
. I'm fine with fictional powers in worlds presented as our present day reality. But the movie goes to such extents to attempt to legitimize its false premise that it's hard to take seriously.

That said, it was fun enough. Worth watching, though maybe not in theaters. It's a fun movie with Scarlett Johansson and when people aren't talking it's a good time. As fiction it's fine, as science fiction it's rough. I'm reminded of the new Jurassic Park movie not showing dinosaurs with feathers... in much the same way as people continue thinking dinosaurs looked like that, I think there will be plenty of idiots coming out of this movie believing and spreading the 10% myth. Pop entertainment still has a responsibility to at least not spread false information, in my opinion.

Highlights:
-A racing car leads to multiple cars flipping through the air for no reason. Watch out people, if you turn too hard in your compact car you'll flip it!
-Multiple times in this movie, characters walk through well trafficked or public places holding handguns, and no one notices.
-Scarjo's complete disregard for human life that isn't her own. There is a ton of collateral damage in this movie that a super smart person could/should have minimized, including nearly (close to ending spoiler)
getting a whole police department wiped out because she can't take a moment to deal with the mafia guys before going on her 2001 space odyssey journey. She could have at least killed some of them in a prior confrontation, given that she has no qualms with doing so to other enemies before that.
-Time traveling in a chair. This was cool.
-Exploding into a cloud (wha?)
-Random kissing
-When you're super smart, computers get a free upgrade, making a consumer level laptop into a super computer that opens a thousand web pages and PDFs in a moment with no lag. Not even going to describe the dual computer setup that comes later.
-CSI/NCIS levels of "enhance... enhance... enhance...," including the classic reading text off the reflection in someone's eyeball.

Also, I ended up unintentionally watching two Luc Besson movies in two days, as I saw Angel-A tonight. I liked it more than Lucy, even if they are different sorts of movies. Though that movie involved an angel, nothing about it jarred by suspension of disbelief like Lucy did. I'm convinced if the 10% stuff was removed I would have liked Lucy more.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
I saw this yesterday. I wanted to see Planet of the Apes, my gf wanted to see Lucy, so we flipped a quarter and she won.

And we both lost.

We both really liked the first half of the movie, even maybe the first 2/3 of it, but the final act just really ruined the pace or something. I mean the crappy science really bothered me to begin with, but eh it's a movie so I pushed my disdain aside and enjoyed it for what it was: a thin pseudo science action flick. But the final act just seemed forced, rushed, unsatisfying, and then man how it ends with that super cheesy line, well that really pissed us both off. I feel like if they could just have re-written the end to be better and more fulfilling it would have helped the entire movie be better. As it is I wouldn't recommend this to anyone, unless you just want to watch Scarlett for 82 minutes on the big screen. But then I'd suggest you just watch anything else she's ever been in.

3 out of 10 for me. The ending just really ruined it for me.

Dash27

Scarlett Johansson is Neo

It was... ok. I mean the end was Whaaaaa? But it was ok as a semi-action sci-fi flick with ... wait why can she do that?

Actually I think one of the best parts was:

When she goes back in time (WHAT?) and sees what I assume is the Australopithecus version of Lucy. Which by the way my understanding is although it's a hominid it might be a side branch and not a direct decedent of homo sapiens. ANYWAY, i thought they did it really well. It looked cool.

All that said when it's out on netflix or whatever I want to watch again when she has her exposition with Morgan Freemen. I couldn't even catch everything she was trying to say.

kehs

Banned

So you can't imagine TK?

Dude, it has been explained a million times in this thread. All that other stuff is fiction based on fiction. This movie is fiction attempting to be based on a fact that we know 100% is untrue.

I don't get why this distinction is so hard to understand.

Just watched the trailer and I don't think I get it. Is the implication that if we were all smarter, we'd be shapeshifting and controlling time?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom