• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LUCY - directed by Luc Besson, starring Scarlett Johannson, music by Eric Serra

Status
Not open for further replies.
My cousin speaks Chinese and that bothered her. She also said they were switching between Chinese, Korean and Japanese. Also Lucy and her roommate living there and not being able to speak or read the language.
tumblr_inline_n8yh5y1yZI1seknoo.png

From top to left to right:
KEEP CLEAN 保持清潔,APPLE 蘋果,ONION and GINGER 蔥薑,GRAPE 葡萄,ORANGE 橘子,TOMATO 蕃茄

It weirds me out, "Chinese characters are soooo kewl, let's write some random words on the wall because it'll look super extra exotic", yeah no.

Sigma722

Also, that dinosaur looked awful.

That should probably be a spoiler, but yeah, that was one of my bigger complaints.

The movie is definitely "dumb". Everyone knew it would be from the beginning. I don't know that anyone really expected it to reach the sci-fi levels that it did, so that accelerated it a bit for me.

Some of the dialog toward the end was fun, and all of the visuals were cool too.

Lucy and Akira spoilers:
Also, the way she started to create the computer at the end really shows that bits of Akira can translate to live action, so hopefully, that's a positive down the line.

Sigma722

Dude, it has been explained a million times in this thread. All that other stuff is fiction based on fiction. This movie is fiction attempting to be based on a fact that we know 100% is untrue.

I don't get why this distinction is so hard to understand.

So is Jurassic Park a shitty film because they say that they can create a dinosaur park by pulling out genes from amber, and combine it with frogs dna?

Most fictions ESTABLISH their fiction as fact. For the film it is their fact, otherwise the film/world wouldn't exist

edit: apologies for the double post. figured someone else would have replied by now :-/

Scarlett Johansson is Neo

When she goes back in time (WHAT?) and sees what I assume is the Australopithecus version of Lucy. Which by the way my understanding is although it's a hominid it might be a side branch and not a direct decedent of homo sapiens. ANYWAY, i thought they did it really well. It looked cool.

So my thoughts on the whole
going back in time

I don't think that's actually going back in time - if you look at how they did things, during that scene with the first Lucy she is still sitting in the chair but they show her building her supercomputer. She had said earlier that she could feel the history of each cell, and so she could find out what history was like by looking at each cell collectively and the history they contained. It is more of doing vs observing

Dash27

going back in time

I don't think that's actually going back in time - if you look at how they did things, during that scene with the first Lucy she is still sitting in the chair but they show her building her supercomputer. She had said earlier that she could feel the history of each cell, and so she could find out what history was like by looking at each cell collectively and the history they contained. It is more of doing vs observing

Interesting. This is what I meant by wanting to re-watch it for the part where she's talking about all that.
I recall her saying time is the essential component because... uhh. something. And then I assumed that tied into Morgan Freeman's bit about passing on knowledge being the purpose of life

I feel like there's two kinds of people in this thread:

People who want to just have fun and go see a movie

People who want a captivating, life-changing Oscar Winner that they can analyze the living shit out of.

People who liked it aren't feeling the need to explain their opinion. They are completely content in just saying " I liked it", "It was fun", etc. while the latter are giving these in-depth critiques to shit on it as hard as their bung holes will let them.

I can see both sides and I like to see myself as being in between them both when it comes to movies. I try to not take anything TOO seriously because you lose the joy in things that way. However if you prescribe to that way of thought a bit much, then that just encourages more garbage to come out. I haven't seen the movie yet... I have no huge desire to, but it seems attention-grabbing enough to entertain me for part of my Saturday. Can't we agree that it's PROBABLY better than another assembly-line-level Owen Wilson/Jennifer Aniston movie?

Or maybe I'm just easily pleased.
Fuck you.

Interesting. This is what I meant by wanting to re-watch it for the part where she's talking about all that.
I recall her saying time is the essential component because... uhh. something. And then I assumed that tied into Morgan Freeman's bit about passing on knowledge being the purpose of life

"Time
is the only true unit of measure, it gives proof to the existence of matter, without time, we don’t exist
" was the line

To complete her purpose, she had to pass on all the knowledge she could, including those mysteries of the past I suppose? Or to know the future, you have to know the past so to speak

Can't we agree that it's PROBABLY better than another assembly-line-level Owen Wilson/Jennifer Aniston movie?

Don't you dare hate on Marley and Me!

All seriousness though, I got the movie I expected. A brainless Luc Besson action movie. He hasn't written a "serious" movie since The Professional in my opinion and if you have followed his Films (written or directed) over the years, this was pretty much par for the course.

ShowDog

This movie required a suspension of disbelief that I just couldn't muster.
Scenes with Lucy calling her mother or Morgan Freeman lecturing dragged on forever and were painfully bad.
It was trying to be so much more than a dumb action movie and that is where it failed, if you can turn your brain off enough to enjoy this I salute you.

Oh yeah and that
car chase
was the worst attempt I've seen in cinema.

going back in time

This is exactly what I thought happened too. She did not teleport and travel back in time. It looks like she was processing all the historical information passed down from cell to cell over time as she now has the cognitive ability to access that information

Zero315

Banned

It weirds me out, "Chinese characters are soooo kewl, let's write some random words on the wall because it'll look super extra exotic", yeah no.

Yep, she caught some of that too, said it was nonsense.

People who want a captivating, life-changing Oscar Winner that they can analyze the living shit out of.

More like I expected an action movie that didn't insult my intelligence. Instead what I got was Morgan Freeman lecturing me about bullshit and a movie so devoid of action that it all fit into the trailer.

This is exactly what I thought happened too. She did not teleport and travel back in time. It looks like she was processing all the historical information passed down from cell to cell over time as she now has the cognitive ability to access that information

That's what I kinda thought as well, but then why was she able to interact with stuff? The monkey reacted to her and touched her and the dinosaur tried to eat her. As for the chair she probably took it back with her, she did absorb a computer after all.

That's what I kinda thought as well, but then why was she able to interact with stuff? The monkey reacted to her and touched her and the dinosaur tried to eat her. As for the chair she probably took it back with her, she did absorb a computer after all.

I think it was just her "interacting" with those memories and manipulating them out of curiosity. But that's just my guess.

anaron

isn't this in the back of a restaurant?

Zarovitch

I don't know if i'll like this movie, i prefer science-fiction.

Edit: I think they should have make the movie about a drug that change that brain rather than this 10% crap.
I've heard a radio news about the movie where they said "She's now at 24%" or something like, how not to laugh.

Zero315

Banned
I think it was just her "interacting" with those memories and manipulating them out of curiosity. But that's just my guess.

But once you start interacting, changing and maipulating them they stop being memories. You can't remember something that didn't happen. I feel like we're thinking harder about this than the writers ever did.

isn't this in the back of a restaurant?

Doesn't make it any less random and out of place.

I don't know if i'll like this movie, i prefer science-fiction.

Me too, and this movie isn't that. It is, however, a bunch of fun to watch.

Anyone getting upset about the lack of science is a fuddy-duddy. Whenever Morgan is on screen talking garbage just have a laugh at how off the wall it is.

Of course it does. There are signs on the walls in many American restaurants for where to store food.

Heh, seeing this movie Friday made me want to watch Tree of Life, which I finally did for the first time yesterday.

I kinda feel like Lucy would be better if it kept more of the trippy sequences, and had less "traditional" action. I dunno, I guess I just dig anything in a movie that reminds me of Child of Eden, haha.

anaron

But once you start interacting, changing and maipulating them they stop being memories. You can't remember something that didn't happen. I feel like we're thinking harder about this than the writers ever did.

Uh, food storage?

Zarovitch

Me too, and this movie isn't that. It is, however, a bunch of fun to watch.

Anyone getting upset about the lack of science is a fuddy-duddy. Whenever Morgan is on screen talking garbage just have a laugh at how off the wall it is.

Yeah, but i understand that sometime the fun is stop but stupid thing.
It's not always easy to not be upset when they jump the shark.
In this case it's all the premise that's hard to swallow.

edit: anyway i've not see the movie so i'll wait and maybe see it one day.

I would agree that we are probably thinking harder than the writers ever did, but on that note:

If she had access to everything, everywhere, in all time - then she could technically have shown us from the perspective of whatever was there in the moment. Another dinosaur during the jurassic age, some kind of animal with first Lucy, jsut some other onlooker / tree in New York. I mean especially in New York, nobody really interested with her there but you would think people would be surprised about how some woman in a chair just magically showed up

Saw this movie, enjoyed the first part reminded me of old boy. Then the movie turns in to hot fucking garbage. I was excited by the experimental scene cuts at the beginning but when Morgan freeman starts talking bullshit with no sense of a wink and a nudge I wanted to stab my eyes out with my straw. What a garbage movie.

For a movie that claimed to be an action film, there wasn't a whole lot of action. The whole film felt like it was made by someone with ADHD. Just a lot of random ideas thrown out and then quickly forgotten about. I can't believe I spent 12.50 to watch this. What happened to you Luc Besson?

JBuccCP

Well that was shit. Forget the premise being nonsense, within the films own universe where we can assume all of Morgan Freeman's babbling is true the movie does nothing worth any excitement.
At 20% she's waiving her hand and knocking out a room full of people and from there to like 70% is a nebulous progression of electromagnetic control and matter manipulation that the film barely plays with. Then after 70% you become a computer and control the universe and even that was handled with horrible compositing and cgi befitting a CSI show.

The first 20 minutes were pretty ok with a couple laughs, then it becomes an action film with 3 crappy action scenes, the final one consisting of a boring shoutout between cops and thugs while the girl that controls the universe sits in front of a green screen.

This movie fails as a dumb action movie, as a smart anything, it's not so bad it's good, it's just shit.

Brakke

Banned
Remember how they kept talking about cells "choosing" to form multicelled organisms in hostile environments and singlecelled organisms in temperate environments?

Remember how that drug made her utilize the potential of her brain better but that somehow meant her skin cells had decided in their cell brains that they can go live productive cell lives without the rest of her.

Denton

Tom Chick liked this a lot, apparently:

http://www.quartertothree.com/fp/2014/07/27/best-thing-youll-see-month-lucy/

Like Under the Skin and Her, two other mind-blowing movies anchored by arresting Scarlett Johansson performances, Lucy is smart and sexy science fiction about what it means to be human. Lucy begins in progress and utterly mundane, with Johansson as an overseas student having an argument with her boyfriend. Who are they? Where are they? What are they doing? Why are they doing it? Why is the scene playfully intercut with that footage? What’s in the briefcase? What does Morgan Freeman’s character and carefully staged lecture have to do with any of this? It’s a puzzle that comes together neatly, and the final reveal — Lucy has the confidence to provide an Answer — makes this the most sophisticated and satisfying movie Besson has made. Does every filmmaker want to be Stanley Kubrick? If only every filmmaker was this capable of channeling Kubrick while still retaining his own identity.

Why do I have to wait another 10 days before our cinema gets this ?

:(

Hagi

Dude, it has been explained a million times in this thread. All that other stuff is fiction based on fiction. This movie is fiction attempting to be based on a fact that we know 100% is untrue.

I don't get why this distinction is so hard to understand.

So it's also fiction based on fiction lol

I think i'll wait for Netflix to get this, doesn't look too hot.

lightus

Well that was shit. Forget the premise being nonsense, within the films own universe where we can assume all of Morgan Freeman's babbling is true the movie does nothing worth any excitement.
At 20% she's waiving her hand and knocking out a room full of people and from there to like 70% is a nebulous progression of electromagnetic control and matter manipulation that the film barely plays with. Then after 70% you become a computer and control the universe and even that was handled with horrible compositing and cgi befitting a CSI show.

The first 20 minutes were pretty ok with a couple laughs, then it becomes an action film with 3 crappy action scenes, the final one consisting of a boring shoutout between cops and thugs while the girl that controls the universe sits in front of a green screen.

This movie fails as a dumb action movie, as a smart anything, it's not so bad it's good, it's just shit.

Yeah I wasn't a fan of it. I "turned off my brain" for it and still didn't enjoy it. I don't really care about the premise being wrong, a lot of movies have bs "facts". The problem with this movie is that there was no suspense and I didn't care about any of the characters at all.

The pacing was weird and constantly pulled me out of the movie. I didn't walk out of the theater or anything, but had I been watching it on TV I would have changed the channel. I say this being a person that rates media very leniently.

Weird movie. Lots of unintentionally funny moments like the part where the gangsters..
after the car chase and they arrive at the research center/university and they're entering the building in an attempt
To kill Lucy, but the cops dont even notice that they're going in the building while they load up their guns and continue their nonsense instead only being a few yards away back away from gangsters
multiple people caught that in the theater which created pretty amusing reactions lol

People who liked it aren't feeling the need to explain their opinion. They are completely content in just saying " I liked it", "It was fun", etc. while the latter are giving these in-depth critiques to shit on it as hard as their bung holes will let them.

I can see both sides and I like to see myself as being in between them both when it comes to movies. I try to not take anything TOO seriously because you lose the joy in things that way. However if you prescribe to that way of thought a bit much, then that just encourages more garbage to come out. I haven't seen the movie yet... I have no huge desire to, but it seems attention-grabbing enough to entertain me for part of my Saturday. Can't we agree that it's PROBABLY better than another assembly-line-level Owen Wilson/Jennifer Aniston movie?

Or maybe I'm just easily pleased.
Fuck you.

This is such a load of bullshit. I could maybe buy this argument in a thread for something like transformers (even if i would still disagree with it). I knew it was going to be bad but i still went to enjoy all the crazy action and laugh at the stupidity of it. It had lots of action and lots of stuff to laugh at, intentionally or not.

This movie was just plain boring. Basically no action, awful cgi and just constant exposition and terrible speeches/dialogue. If anything it felt like this movie was trying to go for something more with all of the abstract footage they decided to throw in there.

This was definitely the worst movie i've seen at the cinema this year and i've seen around 40 movies i think. There was pretty much nothing redeemable about it. It wasn't a case of high expectations either, the trailer had my expectations set to basically nothing and it still managed to surpass that.

Saw it a couple days ago.
First Besson film I've seen on the big screen since The Messenger... and this is coming from someone who was a huge Besson fan in the '90s.

Honestly the only things I liked about the film:

-Thierry Arbogast/Luc Besson's chemistry when it comes to the look of the film & cinematography. Every shot was gorgeous.
-How batshit things got at various times- especially the ending. Say what you will about the 'science' of the film, but Luc certainly knows how to go a little nuts with his imagination.

Everything else just fell flat to me... even Eric Serra's music (which I was really looking forward to hearing).
ScarJo just seemed really dull to me. I couldn't get emotionally involved in any possible struggles she might have been having due to
the brain-input overload
, her
inching closer and closer to death didn't seem to have enough weight beyond the brief phone conversation with her mom
, and I just honestly would have rather seen another leading lady... maybe even an old Besson alum like Jovovich or Portman.

Oldboy was doing a good job hamming it up, but to me he struck me as a less interesting, Asian version of Stansfield from LEON. He just seemed under-used.

I dunno. I was hoping this film would push Besson back into the spotlight, but I wouldn't put it anywhere near his legitimately great films like La Femme Nikita, The Big Blue, LEON, or The 5th Element.
I guess I would say I enjoyed it & don't regret paying theater costs to see it, but I was far from loving it. I probably won't own it, unless my wife really wants it. She enjoyed it a lot.

Here's hoping he eventually makes another straight action/drama in the near future, because he's still got it when it comes to those scenes- especially when working with Arbogast and Serra.

whytemyke

Honorary Canadian.
What a terrible movie. Just left the theater and oh my god is it bad.

Apparently if you get 100% of your brain used you can make zip drives for Morgan Freeman.

So another dumb Luc Besson movie. The guy is been a hit or miss for most of his career, sadly lately seems to be miss most of the time, but i enjoy dumb movies from time to time so will see it

I just saw this. I liked it overall but I felt like I was watching two different movies that didn't really blend well together.

One movie was a very interesting science fiction movie about the evolution of human conscience. That movie I liked alot!

The other movie was a brain dead action flick that wanted to be Girl with the Dragon Tattoo, with generic Asian bad guys, and unnecessary car chase and gun fight scenes.

Everything with Lucy and her evolution was enjoyable.

I interpreted as her consciousness and image was being projected back through time(4th spacial dimention) the last sequence looked like she slipped into the 10th dimensional membrane.

Kraftwerk

Saw this on Tuesday as a $5 matinee. Even that felt like a waste.

Extremely over the top and cheesy. It was all over the place.

Laughed a few time during the movie, due to how terrible how some scenes were.

2/10

MikeDown

Banned
The only thing memorable about this movie were the animals fucking each other. Just sooooo terrible, on every level! Even Morgan Freeman, who does great narrations and exposition felt devoid and lifeless; knowing his lines were just steaming piles of shit.

rexor0717

So I enjoyed the movie, especially visually. I feel like the movie didn't really come up with any rule set, and just said you brain can let you do literally anything. I'm surprised she didn't fly around at some point through the movie. Oh, and now everywhere-ScarJo watches you masturbate. lol

god dam this was so bad. at least i only paid 6 dollars. that dinosaur scene had worse CGI than jurassic park 3. but holy fuck this movie was just flat out dumb. also this movie was way to short. i felt they just went to fast with the plot and by the end shit just turned bat shit crazy MGS style but bad.

The only thing memorable about this movie were the animals fucking each other. Just sooooo terrible, on every level! Even Morgan Freeman, who does great narrations and exposition felt devoid and lifeless; knowing his lines were just steaming piles of shit.

He slips up on a few lines too, looks like no one gave a shit about this film.

So, someone correct me if I'm wrong on this.

The commercials and everything, they use that bullshit "You only use 10% of your brain" thing. But in the movie, they NEVER actually say that. I don't know if it's splitting hairs or if I'm just misinterpreting it, but it seemed like the movie was suggesting we don't use our brain's full potential, saying we only use 10% of our brain's capacity. To me, that seems like an important distinction between just "You only use 10% of your brain" VS "Your brain is capable of many things, but you are unable to use it for but a few".

They then point out that by having more control over their brain functions, (with the 20% number that they just.. pulled out of their asses but whatever) they say that dolphins have crazy abilities like echolocation, leading us to believe that if humans were in more control of their brains, we too could do things like echolocation (and then the more control we had, the more functions we'd have access to like telepathy and telekinesis, etc.)

Did anyone else take it this way? I mean, I know the science in the movie is just completely bullshit anyway. That just seemed like an important difference between what the marketing was saying and what they were actually proposing in the movie. Or at least that's how I took it?

Cronox

Banned
So, someone correct me if I'm wrong on this.

The commercials and everything, they use that bullshit "You only use 10% of your brain" thing. But in the movie, they NEVER actually say that. I don't know if it's splitting hairs or if I'm just misinterpreting it, but it seemed like the movie was suggesting we don't use our brain's full potential, saying we only use 10% of our brain's capacity. To me, that seems like an important distinction between just "You only use 10% of your brain" VS "Your brain is capable of many things, but you are unable to use it for but a few".

They then point out that by having more control over their brain functions, (with the 20% number that they just.. pulled out of their asses but whatever) they say that dolphins have crazy abilities like echolocation, leading us to believe that if humans were in more control of their brains, we too could do things like echolocation (and then the more control we had, the more functions we'd have access to like telepathy and telekinesis, etc.)

Did anyone else take it this way? I mean, I know the science in the movie is just completely bullshit anyway. That just seemed like an important difference between what the marketing was saying and what they were actually proposing in the movie. Or at least that's how I took it?

Morgan Freeman says that humans only use 10% of their brains in his speech to the class. I hate to tell you this, but it sounds like you need to watch it again.

Cronox

Banned
What was with Lucy melting on that plane? It just comes out of the blue and never really happens again.

Something about her bodies cells deciding between replicating or becoming immortal, I believe. Functionally, all it meant was she needed another hit of the blue stuff. The part where she explodes into fairy dust (later to reappear unconscious in a hospital with no explanation) is baffling to me. Why is the explosion scene in the bathroom there?
It's as if the special effects people decided to render a possible ending for the scene, and Luc Besson looked at it, said something like, "well, we already paid for it," and threw it in. It serves no purpose at all, beyond to perplex the viewer. Though maybe perplexing the viewer is good enough for Besson.

What was with Lucy melting on that plane? It just comes out of the blue and never really happens again.

The drug changed her cells and when she went to the hospital to get the bag removed from her the doctor said that the drugs will be gone from her system within X hours (I forgot how many). On the plane the drugs disappeared from her system and her cells could not hold together anymore.

tensuke

Alright GAF I gotta tell you this. I gotta tell someone this. Mind you, I haven't seen Lucy yet (I'll probably redbox/netflix it in a few months when I'm bored).

So I'm on a coffee date with this girl, okay, and we're talking about maybe seeing a movie. For reference, she's pretty good looking and likes comics like Sandman and Preacher and Y: TLM and stuff, and she's in school to be a microbiologist, so, yeah.

Anyway, I'm going down the list and when I get to Lucy, I kind of say it with this certain scoffy tone, and she immediately looks at me and says she really wants to see it because it'll be so good. Right away I'm in disbelief, but I keep calm and just state that if she just got superpowers from drugs, it would be alright.
"But she does!"
No, she gets the ability to use more of her brain or some shit, which doesn't make any sense.
"Sure it does!"
First of all, the 10% of our brain bullshit is bullshit, and it doesn't make sense that "using more of our brain" would let us move shit telepathically and stop time or whatever.
"Of course it makes sense! There's a certain frequency that we need for our brains to work, she can just manipulate it by using 100% of her brain."
What?
"Yeah. I mean, you know there's aliens, right? Like, the Greys."
Wait a minute, how did we get onto aliens?
"The Grays. They're cyberkinetic beings."
Ummm...I don't dispute that there's aliens in the universe, somewhere, and I suppose it's possible there's some on Earth, but I doubt it...
"Yeah, they're already here! They were on Earth before us, then they did something bad, they angered, someone...I don't believe in a god, but, ya know, there's some higher power they angered and they left and came back. And they look like us now because they take our DNA. That's why they abduct people."
Hold on. Higher power? What are you talking about? Like Xenu?
"No, this is real stuff. Anyway have you heard of Bashar?"
Umm. I know a guy named Bashar.
"No, he's like, he channels aliens. People come from all over and ask him questions, and he doesn't even think, he just answers them. He either is one, or he can use the special frequency."
Some dude channels aliens? That were here before us? And how do you know about all this? Does the government know?
"Of course they know. They're the ones hiding it. Honestly, you're living in a box if you haven't heard about all this. You're just like everyone else, blind to the truth. They go over all this on Ancient Aliens."
Lol. You know that George Stephanalopouloploous guy doesn't have any actual academic background in any of that, right?
"Sure but he does his research. You don't need a piece of paper to know the truth. And he's not the only one. There's that blond guy, too. I can't remember his name."
Okay, whatever, but wtf does this have to do with Lucy and using your brain to move shit with your mind?
"Well, I mean, yeah it could all be made up, but there's probably cyberkinetic beings that can use that frequency. So that's what it is."
Uhhhh. I don't think so. I think the movie's just stupid because even if I were to use "100%" of my brain, I couldn't stop time.
"Yeah, that part doesn't make much sense I guess."

I quickly got off the subject, referencing Star Wars, which was a mistake.
"Actually, I haven't seen any Star Wars movies."
None? What about, uh, Indiana Jones?
"Nope. Why would I want to see one of those?"

I SHIT YOU NOT THIS REALLY HAPPENED. Pretty much word for word. She was completely serious about the cyberkinetic beings and that I live in a box. I just don't know what to think. On the one hand, she's studying an actual scientific field, on the other hand...South Park aliens.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom