• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LUCY - directed by Luc Besson, starring Scarlett Johannson, music by Eric Serra

Status
Not open for further replies.

Calabi

So, someone correct me if I'm wrong on this.

The commercials and everything, they use that bullshit "You only use 10% of your brain" thing. But in the movie, they NEVER actually say that. I don't know if it's splitting hairs or if I'm just misinterpreting it, but it seemed like the movie was suggesting we don't use our brain's full potential, saying we only use 10% of our brain's capacity. To me, that seems like an important distinction between just "You only use 10% of your brain" VS "Your brain is capable of many things, but you are unable to use it for but a few".

They then point out that by having more control over their brain functions, (with the 20% number that they just.. pulled out of their asses but whatever) they say that dolphins have crazy abilities like echolocation, leading us to believe that if humans were in more control of their brains, we too could do things like echolocation (and then the more control we had, the more functions we'd have access to like telepathy and telekinesis, etc.)

Did anyone else take it this way? I mean, I know the science in the movie is just completely bullshit anyway. That just seemed like an important difference between what the marketing was saying and what they were actually proposing in the movie. Or at least that's how I took it?

We can use echolocation.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Human_echolocation

I'm watching a Luc Besson interview on French television. He just admitted that he 10% theory was false so he's not as stupid as I thought :D

anaron

Luc understands -- unlike the critics trashing the movie for its core concept -- that the premise is ridiculous and is just using it to relish in insane shit for 90 minutes.

Ermac

Proudly debt free. If you need a couple bucks, just ask.
To knowledge.
martini-smiley-emoticon.gif

Morgan Freeman says that humans only use 10% of their brains in his speech to the class. I hate to tell you this, but it sounds like you need to watch it again.

He actually doesn't though? He says we use 10% of our brain's capacity. I wouldn't mind watching it again to be sure, but I feel preeeetty sure that he doesn't say that - I was listening for it but he's always talking about capacity.

It's like you have a car engine, and you only drive 65mph but the car is capable of driving up to 120mph. You're not "just using 10%" of the car's engine, but you're only using a fraction of the engine's capacity.

Aselith

Luc understands -- unlike the critics trashing the movie for its core concept -- that the premise is ridiculous and is just using it to relish in insane shit for 90 minutes.

No, the critics understand that the premise is ridiculous.

He actually doesn't though? He says we use 10% of our brain's capacity. I wouldn't mind watching it again to be sure, but I feel preeeetty sure that he doesn't say that - I was listening for it but he's always talking about capacity.

It's like you have a car engine, and you only drive 65mph but the car is capable of driving up to 120mph. You're not "just using 10%" of the car's engine, but you're only using a fraction of the engine's capacity.

I'm pretty sure I heard that to.
It was around the time he was presenting to that group of people.
Anyway, I'm going down the list and when I get to Lucy, I kind of say it with this certain scoffy tone, and she immediately looks at me and says she really wants to see it because it'll be so good. Right away I'm in disbelief, but I keep calm and just state that if she just got superpowers from drugs, it would be alright.
"But she does!"
No, she gets the ability to use more of her brain or some shit, which doesn't make any sense.
"Sure it does!"
First of all, the 10% of our brain bullshit is bullshit, and it doesn't make sense that "using more of our brain" would let us move shit telepathically and stop time or whatever.
-------
I SHIT YOU NOT THIS REALLY HAPPENED. Pretty much word for word. She was completely serious about the cyberkinetic beings and that I live in a box. I just don't know what to think. On the one hand, she's studying an actual scientific field, on the other hand...South Park aliens.
Well, you asked for this by getting in a bitch fit over a fictional character in a fictional movie using magical drugs and telekinesis.

I'm pretty sure I heard that to.
It was around the time he was presenting to that group of people.

You heard what too, that he says we only use 10% of our brains, or that we only use 10% of our brain's capacity?

He's doing the lecture at the school or whatever, yeah, and then he talks in front of a slide that says 15% but they must have cut that part out because next thing we know he's talking about 20% and there's a slide about dolphins. He talks about echolocation and then goes on to 30%, where he surmises that we'd have total control of our own bodies, beyond that we'd be able to control other's bodies, then he brings up telekinesis, and then someone asks about 100% and he admits that he has no idea. The whole time I kept waiting for him to say the classic line but I'm like so sure he never does, he only ever says capacity.

I'm open to being wrong I'm just like... so sure I'm not. I wish there was a script or something online so I could verify since I do have some self doubt.

Anyway, I'm going down the list and when I get to Lucy, I kind of say it with this certain scoffy tone, and she immediately looks at me and says she really wants to see it because it'll be so good. Right away I'm in disbelief, but I keep calm and just state that if she just got superpowers from drugs, it would be alright.
"But she does!"
No, she gets the ability to use more of her brain or some shit, which doesn't make any sense.
"Sure it does!"
First of all, the 10% of our brain bullshit is bullshit, and it doesn't make sense that "using more of our brain" would let us move shit telepathically and stop time or whatever.
"Of course it makes sense! There's a certain frequency that we need for our brains to work, she can just manipulate it by using 100% of her brain."
What?
Okay, whatever, but wtf does this have to do with Lucy and using your brain to move shit with your mind?

Uhhhh. I don't think so. I think the movie's just stupid because even if I were to use "100%" of my brain, I couldn't stop time.
"Yeah, that part doesn't make much sense I guess."

Just wanted to point out, I think you don't know how superpowers work? At lot of them that involve telekinesis, telepathy, etc use... their brains. Like that is where that power originates from. Actual fringe science, science fiction, comics, that shit always, always is a mind power. So in the world of the movie, where gaining more control of your brain and accessing more of its latent functions, happens when she ODs on this drug, her getting "powers" from it make complete sense. Like the entire study in the real world on telepathy, it's a brain function. The theory of telepathy and telekinesis being latent brain functions is like, THE theory. That's where those powers come from. Not your hands or your chest, your brain. The actual real world fringe science theory is that if we had greater control over our brains, we could communicate via thought and move objects with our minds. The premise of the movie may be ridiculous, but that's not the part you should be taking issue with.

As for the second part, she doesn't stop time. She becomes time. It's a take on another fringe science theory about humans (or other creatures) eventually evolving out of our bodies and simply becoming pure energy.

You heard what too, that he says we only use 10% of our brains, or that we only use 10% of our brain's capacity?

He's doing the lecture at the school or whatever, yeah, and then he talks in front of a slide that says 15% but they must have cut that part out because next thing we know he's talking about 20% and there's a slide about dolphins. He talks about echolocation and then goes on to 30%, where he surmises that we'd have total control of our own bodies, beyond that we'd be able to control other's bodies, then he brings up telekinesis, and then someone asks about 100% and he admits that he has no idea. The whole time I kept waiting for him to say the classic line but I'm like so sure he never does, he only ever says capacity.

I'm open to being wrong I'm just like... so sure I'm not. I wish there was a script or something online so I could verify since I do have some self doubt.
He says, you're not crazy. She also uses capacity

Dolphins was an example of a being using 20%

UrbanRats

Eric Serra doing the music for this? Goddamn, i'm gonna keep an eye on this movie then.
I've watched shitty Luc Besson movies before anyway, that ain't gonna stop me.

Lèon's soundtrack is amazing.

EDIT: Lol people are going at this movie with a vengeance, for that 10% line.

Didn't know that sketchy science in a sci fi movie, was so outrageously taboo.

I saw this recently. I jump on the side of ok/like I would say. I really enjoyed the fact that he took his starting press and ran amok. courage of his convictions. I liked the journey she went on, even though i don't really like her portrayal at first.
I would have like to have seen her use some of the languages she learned too. I do also feel like they could have spent less time with Morgan Freeman's speech. Also her need for revenge seemed out of place, I figured she'd have grown out of it by then?
IN addition, these unlocking power movies have a bunch of cliche, "i am nonchalantly awesome" scenes, that feel really awkward.

people need to calm down about this 10% business. just call it gamma radiation instead. that should help.

DaMan121

I saw this recently. I jump on the side of ok/like I would say. I really enjoyed the fact that he took his starting press and ran amok. courage of his convictions. I liked the journey she went on, even though i don't really like her portrayal at first.
I would have like to have seen her use some of the languages she learned too. I do also feel like they could have spent less time with Morgan Freeman's speech. Also her need for revenge seemed out of place, I figured she'd have grown out of it by then?
IN addition, these unlocking power movies have a bunch of cliche, "i am nonchalantly awesome" scenes, that feel really awkward.

people need to calm down about this 10% business. just call it gamma radiation instead. that should help.

Hmm,
she only went back to the drug lord to find out where the other bags went, she didn't even kill him. She didn't care about revenge at that point, let alone at the end
I though the movie's start was a lot stronger, it had the right mix of humour and tension, and Lucy was actually likeable. Once her transformation begins, she turns into a robot (besides her phone call to her mum and keeping the French cop around because he reminded of her being.. um, human? ). Also Lucy was way overpowered even when she was at 20%, no sense of build up.

Hmm,
she only went back to the drug lord to find out where the other bags went, she didn't even kill him. She didn't care about revenge at that point, let alone at the end
I though the movie's start was a lot stronger, it had the right mix of humour and tension, and Lucy was actually likeable. Once her transformation begins, she turns into a robot (besides her phone call to her mum and keeping the French cop around because he reminded of her being.. um, human? ). Also Lucy was way overpowered even when she was at 20%, no sense of build up.

re: spoiler. oh right. okay, that makes sense.

Yea, i can see the lack of buildup being an issue, watching her slowly start to have a sense wonder at her own abilities, then lose her humanity a little more gradually would be been neat.
but she did go from crazy powerful, to outright godlike, so i liked that curve.

anaron

‘Lucy’ Busts Out In France With Biggest Opening Day For Luc Besson

Scarlett Johansson starrer Lucy had a strong $43.9 million bow when it opened via Universal in North America late last month. After arriving in some overseas territories last weekend, the Luc Besson-directed film has landed in his home country of France. Besson’s EuropaCorp is handling the film here with 86,000 tickets sold in the capital on Day 1 yesterday. That sets a 2014 record for just Paris (and the suburbs). With 351,054 admissions across all of France, and a 43% market share, the sci-fi actioner gave Besson his best opening-day score for a movie he directed. The next closest film in his repertoire was 2006′s animated Arthur And The Minimoys. Lucy went out on 615 screens on Wednesday and grabbed the No. 4 slot on the chart of the year’s best opening days — ahead of Transformers: Age Of Extinction, which is now in fifth place. Lucy comes in behind How To Train Your Dragon 2 at No. 1 with 427,234 admissions on 699 screens, Dawn Of The Planet Of The Apes at No. 2 with 412,565 admissions on 661 screens, and Dany Boon’s Supercondriaque No. 3 with 367,153 on 836 screens. Lucy is expected to enjoy a healthy run at the French box office this weekend, where animated pic The Nut Job and comedy Neighbors are the other main new entries.

I watched this today.

Im not one to shit on Sci-fi movies, even the more implusible ones, but this was easily one of the most nonsensical movies ive seen in a long time. It failed in narrative, structure, setting, pseudo-science, storyline everything. Even if you ignore the fact the basic premise is wrong, it is still a very bad movie. Comparing this to limitless, its like night and day.

Bad. just fucking bad.

I watched this today.

Im not one to shit on Sci-fi movies, even the more implusible ones, but this was easily one of the most nonsensical movies ive seen in a long time. It failed in narrative, structure, setting, pseudo-science, storyline everything. Even if you ignore the fact the basic premise is wrong, it is still a very bad movie. Comparing this to limitless, its like night and day.

Bad. just fucking bad.

Pretty much this.

There was nice directorial touches that you don't see every day in Hollywood movies but my god... the central concept was beyond dumb. And after watching it I still don't understand the point of the movie.

Also, what was going on in the plane scene? Her body started to come apart, she snorted more of that chemical and then... what? She woke up? Okay.

Christopher

Pretty much this.

There was nice directorial touches that you don't see every day in Hollywood movies but my god... the central concept was beyond dumb. And after watching it I still don't understand the point of the movie.

Also, what was going on in the plane scene? Her body started to come apart, she snorted more of that chemical and then... what? She woke up? Okay.

Where I mentally "checked out" of this film...I liked the concept but it just went out the window from there.

Living in Taipei, I can appreciate some of the cinematography and camera work.

That, along with Choi Min-Sik (one of the best actors working today, as evidenced by I SAW THE DEVIL) are really the only saving graces this movie has.

Scarlett Johannson was pretty good in the role, but boy was she short changed by such a shitty, nonsensical script. And dat ending...WHAT in the actual FUCK?!

P.S. Luc Besson is a hack, for the few left who are not in the know. Leon wasn't as great as people make it out to be, and The Fifth Element was easily his only truly good film. Before LUCY he directed this awfully phoney, melodramatic piece of shit called THE LADY which couldn't be bothered to do a real examination of the accomplishments of Aung San Suu Kyi. It was embarrassing for everyone involved. It's funny because the lead actress in that film said Aung San Suu Kyi didn't even say anything after seeing the film, she just gave her a hug.

jimi_dini

P.S. Luc Besson is a hack, for the few left who are not in the know. Leon wasn't as great as people make it out to be, and The Fifth Element was easily his only truly good film.

What?

And you have never seen Nikita?
Then there is Joan of Arc, which was also nicely done.

I disagree on Léon the professional. What was bad about it? I mean seriously.

I would actually rate Fifth Element worse than those 3.

Oh and there also was "Le Dernier Combat", which was his 2nd movie. Which was also nice.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
She looked dirty in Cap 2. It looked like she desperatly needed a wash.

And yet I am willing to bet 99% of straight dudes still would that version.

Hell, maybe some of the gay ones would too, hahaha. She's just an absolute gorgeous, and no matter how they beat her up or anything that gorgeousness wouldn't just gone.

Yeah this movie was laughably bad. Entertainingly bad, even.

I liked the bit where you got snippets of shagging rhinos and boars on screen as Morgan Freeman talked about reproduction, just in case you didn't know what he meant.

Saw this earlier tonight.

It was fun, but from reading most of the impressions in here....yeah I'm gonna have to go with it being unbelievably stupid, lol.

*SPOILERS*
It was paced poorly, no build-up (just gains her powers instantly after taking the drugs, would have liked to see her discover her powers and slowly gain a perspective of who she is and what she could be)

Also, she should have done way more with her powers. and lol at her turning into a USB stick at the end hahahahaha jesus.

2/5

Sai-kun

Banned
Saw this earlier tonight.

It was fun, but from reading most of the impressions in here....yeah I'm gonna have to go with it being unbelievably stupid, lol.

*SPOILERS*
It was paced poorly, no build-up (just gains her powers instantly after taking the drugs, would have liked to see her discover her powers and slowly gain a perspective of who she is and what she could be)

Also, she should have done way more with her powers. and lol at her turning into a USB stick at the end hahahahaha jesus.

2/5

lmao i laughed at your second line of the spoilers, too. ridiculous.

regardless of how ridiculous this movie was

i. fucking. loved. it. seriously. i legit loved it. my girlfriend was like "really?"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom