• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Luke Smith responds to Destiny 2 issues / community feedback

Strakt

https://twitter.com/thislukesmith/status/934489098294722560

Next week the Destiny 2 team will detail the systems side of the December update.

It includes: economy updates (vendors & acquiring their gear, tokens, legendary shards), investment updates (new reward systems for weapons & armor) gameplay updates, and more.

Additionally, @knowsworthy and I will also be answering some questions and addressing community feedback we’ve been reading since launch.

Matter

Banned
If it doesn't include weapon/perk rolls, it's for nothing. Rolls are the only reason I ever kept grinding D1.

jadedm17

More please.

I spent over 1300 hours in D1.
I spent over $300 on D2 for me, my friend, and misc crap.
I haven't logged in D2 in weeks. (Thanks Mario+Splatoon!)

The game is lacking. At least D1 had engaging multiplayer; D2 doesn't even have that for me.

Greendog

Neo Member
More please.

The game is lacking. At least D1 had engaging multiplayer; D2 doesn't even have that for me.

Completely agree with multiplayer.
D1 was a fun game to hop in the crucible with a group of friends and have fun and enjoy the madness even at its worst balance.

The crucible in D2 doesn’t feel fun. It’s the combination of the meta (team shooting), the lack of playlists, and the lack of rewards to play.

Paterson

Banned
More please.

Vanilla D1 also had strikes and a raid that weren't complete shit.

What i think imo the reasons for D2 being as it is are as follows:-
1) The integration of every sniper and shotgun into one slot.
2) The strikes being not integrated into story(some are some arent) like they somewhat were in D1.
3) The raid being meh and if we compare VoG to Leviathan(as first raids of the respective games) than there is no contest VoG wins every time.
4) The multi being 4v4 instead of 6v6 and the maps feel like they were designed for 6v6.
5) A step back from providing separate playlists for strike/crucible.
6) Lost sectors were a disappointment.
7) The leveling up system. People hit max light/power level and are even good for DLC content before the first raid came out and the raid didnt drop much higher anyways.
8) There is no variety in weapons, people in D1 Y1 could obtain an endless amount of combinations of same armor type and weapon type but in D2 everything is limited.

Correct me if im wrong.

T-0800

More please.

I love the MP in D2. But I preferred the 3vs3 modes in D1 so that is probably why.

Einherjar

I don't understand why there isn't an in-game party finder for the 6-man missions. My friends told me we needed to go on a separate website and try to cobble together a group there? We didn't even bother.

SMOK3Y

Generous Member
Ya D2 is such a boring game legendary drops have been useless for so long exotic drops are no better same shit contantly Xur is useless...

Remeard

What the Destiny community wants is random rolls and a big cave to shoot endless enemies from. Rather than play the game they want the easiest and fastest way to grind loot.

It took allot of fanboy realization that Destiny 2 stinks. Destiny 1 had TONS of issues but the lure of amazing gear and weapons kept it going. Aside from the fact of just beating the raid i have no ambition to play it.

SRTtoZ

I absolutely loathe the fact that after I complete my powerful gear missions that I'm essentially done with the game for the week. Makes me not even want to log in. Hopefully that changes.

Let the Diablo developers at Blizzard take the IP, throw some Overwatch devs in for gameplay improvements.

The loot system in Destiny 2 is beyond saving.

SMOK3Y

Generous Member
What the Destiny community wants is random rolls and a big cave to shoot endless enemies from. Rather than play the game they want the easiest and fastest way to grind loot.
Thats not it at all its too easy too max out then whats there left to do? It was alot harder to max out at start of D1 they've made it way too easy since towards the end of D1 there is no need to play more than once a week basically same as end of D1

Ubername

Banned
Thats not it at all its too easy too max out then whats there left to do? It was alot harder to max out at start of D1 they've made it way too easy since towards the end of D1 there is no need to play more than once a week basically same as end of D1

So what.. there are those of us who like the pvp proper and not having friends constantly ask us to go on raids. Idk, I think if people played pvp more and esp the more dm style modes they wouldn't feel the need to talk about the stats. Just my opinion tho

SMOK3Y

Generous Member
So what.. there are those of us who like the pvp proper and not having friends constantly ask us to go on raids. Idk, I think if people played pvp more and esp the more dm style modes they wouldn't feel the need to talk about the stats. Just my opinion tho
Not into pvp last time I was Battfield 4 sooo 4yrs ago & tbh I don't even do raids or strikes. Atleast when D1 launched you had to do the odd raid etc as you needed certain stuff to upgrade now its just baby game

Ubername

Banned
Not into pvp last time I was Battfield 4 sooo 4yrs ago & tbh I don't even do raids or strikes. Atleast when D1 launched you had to do the odd raid etc as you needed certain stuff to upgrade now its just baby game

Yeah but what else r u gonna do, the "baby game" is what I spend most of my d1 time doing lol so idr see what else there is to do. At least in pvp I don't have to spend my time lobbying for groups, like wtf.

NihoB

Neo Member
If it doesn't include weapon/perk rolls, it's for nothing. Rolls are the only reason I ever kept grinding D1.

So basically you want a double layer of RNG to give you something to work for? No thanks, you can count me out for that. It's fine for Diablo games because of the sheer number of enemies you farm and the rate of loot that drops, not to mention the ability to gamble, and solo clear things fast and efficiently.

At the end of the day you are still farming for the same top perk rolls and weapons. I for one do not enjoy farming for a particular item only to find out the perk rolls were either trash/suboptimal and having to try to do it again and pray that that item drops but with better rolls this time.

There are other ways to provide content and rewards. No need to throw in layers of RNG to give you that. What next? Have Xur sell items at 5000 shards per so that people have some sort of artificial goal?

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
I feel i got the fun i wanted out of this game.
The gameplay is so much better then all other shooters.

I think i put 200+ hours into this game and thats enough for me.

I won't bitch online how this game is not "fun anymore"

Got my fun out of it time to move on. Just like i did after 600+ hours of diablo 3

God i wish i never bought this game, SP is still a horrible grind fest lacking in content and the MP is simply just worse then D1.

Random rolls isn’t easier though

If anything it’s harder. I know exactly what I can get and what to shoot for in D2 no matter what

Remeard

The point of a game isn't to get the highest number, and it shouldn't be the point of designing to make that the central point. The point is to have fun. I don't play crucible, raids, strikes, etc because I have a chance at getting a weapon. I do it because I enjoy it.

duhmetree

I want them to build the game around their D1 slogan, "Become Legend".

Please... MMORPG FPS... This is the dream game that I feel A LOT of players want.

SMOK3Y

Generous Member
The point of a game isn't to get the highest number, and it shouldn't be the point of designing to make that the central point. The point is to have fun. I don't play crucible, raids, strikes, etc because I have a chance at getting a weapon. I do it because I enjoy it.
Ya for some reason I really loved D1 but tbh this feels like D1 but worse it has some thing's better but really disappointed it has the same bad guys as D1 I think honestly the biggest complaint by most people about D1 was going form point to point but funnily the quick travel has killed it for me. Also not just the game its my friends too I suppose they are too serious.. me I just want to have fun

geordiemp

I play COD

For multiplayer I dont want to hop on multiplayer and the way to play is huddle up and team shoot.

D1 when hand cannons were good was not like this.

What happened ?

jadedm17

Completely agree with multiplayer.
D1 was a fun game to hop in the crucible with a group of friends and have fun and enjoy the madness even at its worst balance.

The crucible in D2 doesn’t feel fun. It’s the combination of the meta (team shooting), the lack of playlists, and the lack of rewards to play.

Lack of fucking playlists, I forgot that one. Let me play just Clash damnit.

Vanilla D1 also had strikes and a raid that weren't complete shit.

Leveled strikes, I miss that too.
I'd like actually challenging strikes

What i think imo the reasons for D2 being as it is are as follows:-
1) The integration of every sniper and shotgun into one slot.
2) The strikes being not integrated into story(some are some arent) like they somewhat were in D1.

4) The multi being 4v4 instead of 6v6 and the maps feel like they were designed for 6v6.
5) A step back from providing separate playlists for strike/crucible.

Those are my main issues.

I miss 6v6 and I haven't even used snipers in D2 because why the hell would I over rocket launcher? Shotguns I barely touched and I think I've used a grenade launcher twice. Pathetic.

Bookoo

I was surprised how bland D2 endgame is.

Once you burn through your milestones for the week there is little reason to keep playing the game.

Storelle1

Banned
I was surprised how bland D2 endgame is.

Once you burn through your milestones for the week there is little reason to keep playing the game.

Pretty much this. I did all of the weekly and dailies and yet im still stuck to level 278 with no way of getting up unless i get that damn Season Pass bullshit.

ultrazilla

Gold Member

Which is frustrating because the last time they commented on this very issue, Bungie stated they are not bringing back random weapon rolls.

It's like they had a blueprint for how to screw up Destiny 2 after finally "fixing" the issues with Destiny 1.

I loved Destiny 1(hundreds of hours in the game) yet I can barely find the excitement to log in even once a week on "reset" day.

The game just has so many issues and with Bungie being stubborn about one of the most requested features(random weapon rolls) it's almost hopeless IMO.

I'm not even looking forward to the expansion. :/

ultrazilla

Gold Member
Pretty much this. I did all of the weekly and dailies and yet im still stuck to level 278 with no way of getting up unless i get that damn Season Pass bullshit.

Your weapons and armor pieces(except Exotics) can be modded with legendary weapon perks that will bump the base power of armor or weapons up 5 points). You need to do this if not already fyi.

Storelle1

Banned
Your weapons and armor pieces(except Exotics) can be modded with legendary weapon perks that will bump the base power of armor or weapons up 5 points). You need to do this if not already fyi.
Weapon perks? Do i need to talk to someone for that? Or a mission perhaps?

ultrazilla

Gold Member
Weapon perks? Do i need to talk to someone for that? Or a mission perhaps?

I'm sorry, yes you do. My apologies. Weapon smith-Bangee 44 in the Tower. Look for purple(legendary) weapon and armor perks then go to your armor(specifically tells you hood, chest piece, gauntlets, etc) to add it. Same with weapons.

D2 already feels like its beginning a slow and protracted death. D1 The Collection was/is good value for the $20 price point I eventually jumped in at. But after playing D2 on a buddy's system I dont see anything in D2 that makes me want to spend several times that amount.

Kai Ozu

I log in everyday. Please fix the crucible, everyone just huddles in corners with heals and hand cannons playing games of peak a boo. Is this really the way you wanted people to play this? You had such a wonderful game that encouraged combat.

And if you really want this team based game so much, you should turn off matching with randoms and just let teams go up against each other. It's a very frustrating game when you have team mates that are not even trying to play because they are worried about there KD, just hiding in corners.

AaronMT86

In D1, I can recall when/how and with who I got most of my exotic weapons and Armor with. In D2, I couldn’t tell you. It was most from some random exotic engram on my hundredth generic public event.

93xfan

Banned
Destiny 2 is overly balanced. Rarely is exotic gear a real step up. I used to believe balance would help the game feel more fun, but I’ve learned that’s not really true.

Also, they have a ton of weapons, but they are all too similar. It’s neither fun to manage your inventory constantly or not is it fun to play around with the different weapons IMO.

sono

More please.

Just curious : why did you spend $300 on a lacking game which includes "misc crap", presumably you believed the spend would add value at the time ?

Sorry if I misunderstood.

gatti-man

Destiny 2, for me, is a shadow of what vanilla D1 was. I can't believe it. I haven't logged in for over a month and have zero desire too. Worse yet nothing in the DOC is really wowing me either. I want to like destiny 2 but Bungie won't let me it seems.

All this pushing gamers to loot boxes just adds more salt to the pile. Luke Smith is part of the problem and not the solution if there even is one. Bungie just seems entirely tone deaf to the community. Be it dropping the story from D1, social area improvements, group finder, raid quality, enemy variety, AI, and loot are all unimproved or worse than D1. I'm honestly amazed a budget this large and dev this large couldn't wow us with D2. It's a huge disappointment.

Which is frustrating because the last time they commented on this very issue, Bungie stated they are not bringing back random weapon rolls.

It's like they had a blueprint for how to screw up Destiny 2 after finally "fixing" the issues with Destiny 1.

I loved Destiny 1(hundreds of hours in the game) yet I can barely find the excitement to log in even once a week on "reset" day.

The game just has so many issues and with Bungie being stubborn about one of the most requested features(random weapon rolls) it's almost hopeless IMO.

I'm not even looking forward to the expansion. :/

I don't care if it's random loot roles but if you're going to take away the massive variety of randomized perks you needed to replace it with actual real variety in your existing guns. The current meta of destiny weapons is incredibly boring.

kingbean

So they want to make it were its worth playing more than once a week to do all the weekly stuff?

I don't believe it.

Blam

Why did they need to remove the rolls. Rolls literally made me grind in Destiny 1. Now I don't need to roll so whats the point?

Top Bottom