• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lupe Fiasco - Lasers (3rd album, first single out now)

Status
Not open for further replies.

effzee

spindashing said:
Exactly... And ironically he uses it on the track that Matthew Santos was supposed to be involved in. =(

A Lupe album without Matthew Santos in at least one track feels weird. I understand Santos as well as GemStones/Gemini were kicked from FNF but still.

Wow, 30k in pre-order sales? I guess this album will sell more decently than I expected, which is always good for Lupe. If what Lupe says is true and that Atlantic won't be vaginas about Lupe's album, then consider me hyped. We can just put Lasers under the rug...

Why were Santos and Gemini kicked out?

daffy

Banned
Yeah I wonder what caused a change in that plan...

Now he's got 3 more albums due and apparently F&LII is this year?

DasRaven

Also disappointed, but the album isn't trash.

Buying:
-Words I Never Said
-The Show Goes On
-All Black Everything
-I'm Beamin

effzee said:
Why were Santos and Gemini kicked out?
:
Lupe said:
"I got rid of, and you're the first to know, but I got rid of the entire First and Fifteenth Record Label. Me and Sarah Green are the only artists on the label, like I got rid of the whole label," Lupe told me today.

He said that it came down to his ambitions going beyond his abilities, and something that he had to correct. "It was just such a 'this isn't right for you right now. This isn't gonna work for you right now. You need to focus on you,'" he added...

Matthew Santos' twitter said:
# not dropped, contract expired and Lu n I decided not to re-sign. we still cool and will prob make more tunes in future. thanks for the luv..26 minutes ago from web

Gemini/GemStones stopped rapping altogether I hear. He's lost a lot of weight, cut the braids off and sings gospel as his real name, Demarco Castle.

GemStones said:
Hello world. My name is Demarco Castle. You all might have known me as Gemini or Gemstones. This is just a little letter in regards to all the chatter and speculation. I would 1st like to start by saying... I've found Christ or shall I say Christ found me... Because it wasn't him that was lost... It was me, LOL!

I don't expect most of you guys to understand or even begin to fathom what has taking place. If you don't have the spiritual wisdom to discern certain things, for this would be looked at to you as FOOLISHNESS because you're still leaning on your own understanding!

Am I a rapper? No. I now consider myself a messenger of Christ / a servant of the lord! And for the rest of my journey this talent which is not mine that God has given me will be used to help save lost souls.

Ashhong

FTH said:
Yeah I wonder what caused a change in that plan...

Now he's got 3 more albums due and apparently F&LII is this year?

That's old news. His label stopped him from quitting after putting out LUPend as originally planned, and has him completing his contract of 4 more albums, Lasers being one of them.

daffy

Banned
Ashhong said:
That's old news. His label stopped him from quitting after putting out LUPend as originally planned, and has him completing his contract of 4 more albums, Lasers being one of them.
I knew all of that already. What I wonder is exactly why his label decided to do this?

Nabs

Ashhong said:
Because they want money

I know for a fact Ive heard this before. Lupe's verse too...
Well, the second verse leaked a while back. This is the complete version... and shit it sounds so good. This is what I was hoping the album would be more like.

Ashhong

Nabs said:
Well, the second verse leaked a while back. This is the complete version... and shit it sounds so good. This is what I was hoping the album would be more like.

Oh shit you're right. I had that minute snippet on repeat forever. Fucking awesome

I see the track info says Travis Barker feat. Lupe. Maybe it will be on Travis's album?

Ashhong said:
Oh shit you're right. I had that minute snippet on repeat forever. Fucking awesome

I see the track info says Travis Barker feat. Lupe. Maybe it will be on Travis's album?

it is I believe.

That album should have a bunch of good tracks on it.

FTH said:
Get the fuck outta here. Ok now I'm disappointed in Lasers.

Didn't even know Travis Barker had an album coming. Definitely looking forward to that.

I was considering making a thread for Travis Barker's new album. It's going to be epic. It'll also have the Clipse lol...

daffy

Banned
You definitely should! I know I'll be in there. Completely caught me off guard when I found out it was coming next week.

FTH said:
You definitely should! I know I'll be in there. Completely caught me off guard when I found out it was coming next week.

Will do! It's mid term season so let me get done with them and I'll make a proper OP and all that jazz on Friday. Maybe tomorrow if time's good.

Jerk

Banned
There are 5-6 Solid tracks and one amazing one.

Otherwise, the rest of the album is pap.

While this would be good for any other artist, this is sub-par for Lupe.

Also, 'Till I Get There' does not get enough love.

GamerSoul

I did one complete runthrough and I think it's pretty good. All the tracks kinda flow together and I didn't expect to like most of them. Although it's definitely been modified to fit the mainstream stuff it's still a good album, especially since its been in the middle of all the conflict. I'm beaming shouldve been on it though. Such a good track

Ashhong

I like a good amount of the songs on Lasers, at least 60%, but after listening through The Cool again, I dont know if I can go back to it with the same mindset. This is fan-fucking-tastic.

Stat Flow

He gonna cry in the car
I also recently listened to the cool after running through lasers.

I just put All Black Everything as a bonus track on my The Cool tracklist on my iPod, then put till i get there on the pre-lasers mixtape and happily threw the rest of the album in the recycle bin.

That supposed Horn Synth track is fucking dope as hell. If all of Lasers had the sound of that + All Black Everything we'd have a fantastic album on our hands, Jesus christ. Oh, and add a Kanye verse and that's another CRS track actually o_o

daffy

Banned
ThreeSix said:
I've seen the concern, the overall reactions, and disappointment and I still am going to buy it. Simply put, he reinvigorated my interest in hip hop and made a strong impression in a very short amount of time. I've listened to some of the songs, and a few of the ones that most people are saying are the best, are good enough to justify a purchase. Having a ten dollar credit on Amazon also helps with the decision too.
Or you could just buy the good songs.. No harm done

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Ashhong said:
I like a good amount of the songs on Lasers, at least 60%, but after listening through The Cool again, I dont know if I can go back to it with the same mindset. This is fan-fucking-tastic.
Wait what? Are you saying listening to Lasers has made the Cool obsolete?!

C'mon fam.

CRS

Ashhong said:

I thought he was talking about The Cool as fan-fucking-tastic. No way it's Lasers.

Ashhong

enzo_gt said:
Wait what? Are you saying listening to Lasers has made the Cool obsolete?!

C'mon fam.

Are you crazy? lol. I was saying that I thought Lasers was good, then I listened to Cool again and realized Lasers sucks.

daffy

Banned
It would suck, if half of the album didn't have legitimately great tracks that would have fit in nicely on his previous albums.

I only bought the ones that I liked in preview, and I really love these songs. The Cool is clearly leagues better, but what we got was half bad.

EDIT: That is including the bonus tracks on iTunes.

daffy

Banned
Oh I see. Well then in that case I'm sure you will enjoy the album nonetheless.

There's always a skip button.

Tabris

'Words I Never Said' is fucking amazing, I'm not sure why people would complain about the track. I actually really like the message of the song.

It's up there with "Streets on Fire" and "Hip Hop Saved My Life".

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Ashhong said:
Are you crazy? lol. I was saying that I thought Lasers was good, then I listened to Cool again and realized Lasers sucks.
Oh thank god, you had me scared there.

Tabris said:
'Words I Never Said' is fucking amazing, I'm not sure why people would complain about the track. I actually really like the message of the song.

Words I Never Said is "old" Lupe in flow, lyrical ability and delivery pretty much. The content upsets people though, but thats a whole other can of worms.

Lasers isn't a bad album, it's pretty good, just misguided, and isn't what people expected, that's all. But I don't really understand how you guys can go ahead and say he'll win his freedom through his poppiest album being his most successful. It could happen, but really the most obvious correlation points to the opposite really.

daffy

Banned
Tabris said:

Hell. No. The song isn't horrible, but it is by no means that great. It sounds like a carbon copy of I Need A Doctor. The lyrics are fantastic, the sound of the record is abysmal. It sounds like it was produced inside of a traffic cone.

Ex:2 said:
This is a pretty good interview with Lupe on how this is the 4th version of the album and how it got be what it is.

http://www.herfection.com/2011/03/video-lupe-fiasco-interview-on-the-breakfast-club/
God dammit I hate when you get good guests and fuck it up with horribly stupid hosts!!!!!! Get that radio host mentality outta here! Still listening however...

The M.O.B said:
Lasers expected to debut with 220-240k in sales for the #1 sales spot next week.

- Largest debut numbers for any of his albums
- Hip-Hop's biggest album debut this year so far
- Atlantic Won
Album was well- hyped and anticipated for far too long to not see this coming. Fans were gonna go buy this in droves regardless of the quality. Even I did my part.

Ashhong

Even though its his most popular album, has he even had much exposure? I don't hear him on the radio. I feel like its just the old school Lupe fans and new fans that he has collected over the years.

Did not expect that, I'm glad he's getting more popular, but I would rather F&L get this amount of sales. But that's water under the bridge.

FTH said:
Hell. No. The song isn't horrible, but it is by no means that great. It sounds like a carbon copy of I Need A Doctor. The lyrics are fantastic, the sound of the record is abysmal. It

That's weird because it's incredibly easy for me to tell them apart. Yeah Skylar is on both the hooks, but one is talking about politics and the other is talking about Em and Dres bromance, far from a carbon copy.

overcast

It's probably because of the fans that accumulated from internet exposure. I never really hear him on the radio. But at school some kids will talk about him.

I don't know if the album sales are good or bad. On one hand, maybe this means the record label will give him his "freedom". But maybe they will force him to do this pop type stuff again because of the impressive sales :[

Prine

Banned
FTH said:
Hell. No. The song isn't horrible, but it is by no means that great. It sounds like a carbon copy of I Need A Doctor. The lyrics are fantastic, the sound of the record is abysmal. It sounds like it was produced inside of a traffic cone.

Disagree, dont see the Dre connection either.

overcast said:
I don't know if the album sales are good or bad. On one hand, maybe this means the record label will give him his "freedom". But maybe they will force him to do this pop type stuff again because of the impressive sales :[
Well Lupe did say that F&L2 is half done and Atlantic isn't messing with this one, so that's a good sign so far.

zero_suit

overcast said:
It's probably because of the fans that accumulated from internet exposure. I never really hear him on the radio. But at school some kids will talk about him.

Well, The Cool did ~150k back in Dec. 2007...

overcast

upJTboogie said:
Well Lupe did say that F&L2 is half done and Atlantic isn't messing with this one, so that's a good sign so far.
I did read that, so far so good.

He better release a mixtape though.

zero_suit

overcast said:
I wrote that terribly. I meant I don't know if the impressive sales are a good thing for his future.

Good if you think this will allow him to do what he wants..

Bad if you think Atlantic will interpret these sales as an indication of the direction Lupe should go in...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom