• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lupe Fiasco - Lasers (3rd album, first single out now)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Recon

Banned
Imm0rt4l said:
you liked little weapon? the fuck?

The cool had:

gold watch
the coolest
dumb it down
put you on game

and you name little weapon and hip hop saved my life? SERIOUSLY? I mean everybody has their own taste, but wtf.
Little Weapon and Hiphop saved my life are both good, the latter was a bit on the nose with its message. Still,the cool is great besides high definition..that track is gargabe

Osaka

Did not ask for this tag
Wtf is with the Gold Watch love :lol

I don't get how it could sound good to anyone. It's just annoying as fuck.

I haven't really been following the happenings in this thread, but I just wanted to enter briefly to comment on how immensely disappointing I found this album. As my brother described it, it was "focus-grouped dross." It is the sound of the triumph of top-40 banality over the musical integrity of the first two albums.

Ugh.

CRS

When I first bought the album, I didn't like Gold Watch for the same reason. But one day, the song just clicked for me and it's one of my favorite tracks off the album now.

Hi-Def is a damn shame. I always skip it when I can.

Imm0rt4l

ReconYoda said:
Little Weapon and Hiphop saved my life are both good, the latter was a bit on the nose with its message. Still,the cool is great besides high definition..that track is gargabe

Little weapon for me hasn't really aged well, and the album isn't even that old. I liked it when I first heard it, and still appreciate it to some degree. Reminds me of early 90's saturday morning cartoons opening themes. The lyrics making a caracature of a child soldier are cool and all, it just doesn't really jive with jive with the rest of the album (in sound) to me anyways.

peterb0y said:
Eh opinions are opinions. But I have to say that I thought the Gold Watch sample is one of the rawest I've ever heard.

word

Gold watch sounds kinda obnoxious at first but it grows on you and goes harder.

CRS

yencid said:
wait... we dont like little weapon nao? WAT?
I don't understand the hate for it either. The only tracks that I don't really feel are Hi-Def and to an extent Gotta Eat.

Imm0rt4l

yencid said:
wait... we dont like little weapon nao? WAT?
Its aight, but It's not even top 5 on the album man. If there is a song to name, it sure as hell aint Little Weapon.

ChldRebelSoldr said:
I don't understand the hate for it either. The only tracks that I don't really feel are Hi-Def and to an extent Gotta Eat.
Lyrically gotta eat is dope, I just don't like listening to it. Its probably 1 of the only songs I might skip depending on how I'm feeling.

Ashhong

Osaka said:
There's like 3 tracks on The Cool that I like. Go Go Gadget Flow, Little Weapon and Hiphop Saved My Life.

Anyway, off to waiting for the next Lupe album.

Wait, are you saying The Cool < Lasers? Holy shit...

Hip Hop Saved My Life is the best song for me, hands down. One of my top favorite hip hop songs of all time.

Simple fact, you can take any 5 random songs from The Cool and F&L and they will be better then Lasers

Still waiting on the rest of the "tracks Lupe wanted on the album"

Bowser

Threi said:
Gold Watch is easily one of Lupe's best songs...

johnson.gif

Swag

Picked this up randomly grinding in WoW.

Although it's no The Cool, it still has gems like All Black Everything / Break the Chain

Riposte

Imm0rt4l said:
Little weapon for me hasn't really aged well, and the album isn't even that old. I liked it when I first heard it, and still appreciate it to some degree. Reminds me of early 90's saturday morning cartoons opening themes. The lyrics making a caracature of a child soldier are cool and all, it just doesn't really jive with jive with the rest of the album (in sound) to me anyways.

That's funny, because I imagined Little Weapon being an opening theme to an adult animated series about child soldiers once. It fits too well for that concept...

SKINNER!

Banned
I was disappointed with Lasers at first because it wasn't as spectacular as "The Cool" and "Food & Liquor" but I've slowly come to appreciate it. Lyrically its still top notch but I do think that it has a "Euro pop dance" feel to it at times. Also, no Mathew Santos or Gemstones :( I know why Gemstones isn't in it but any reason why Santos was left out?

But as long as I skip "Out of my Head", "Coming Up" and "Never Forget you" then I'm happy. Same applies for "The Show Must Go On", "Break the Chain", "State Run Radio" depending on my mood.

Stat Flow

He gonna cry in the car
Happy for Lupe for doing 500k.

Not happy that it was Lasers that did it. F&L truly deserves platinum status. The fact that on Lupe's resume, the album that will go down as being his most sold (I'm guessing) is this one...meh.

Not that sales matter, just sayin'.

Edit2: Wow didn't know the Cool sold over 900k actually o_O

Osaka said:
There's like 3 tracks on The Cool that I like. Go Go Gadget Flow, Little Weapon and Hiphop Saved My Life.

Anyway, off to waiting for the next Lupe album.

KuGsj.gif

Could have sworn that album was sitting at 300k the other day. Surprised it hit gold so fast, nonetheless, still happy for the guy.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Ashhong said:
It's only 5$ on Amazon MP3 right now
Thinking about picking it up at this price. Consensus?

Kusagari

upJTboogie said:
Could have sworn that album was sitting at 300k the other day. Surprised it hit gold so fast, nonetheless, still happy for the guy.

It's obviously shipped but it still means he's got at least another gold album under his belt.

Ashhong

Bboy AJ said:
Thinking about picking it up at this price. Consensus?

Is it still 5$? If you enjoy the singles he's put out, do it. You could also youtube every song and see if its worth it...

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Ashhong said:
Is it still 5$? If you enjoy the singles he's put out, do it. You could also youtube every song and see if its worth it...
It's still $5. I have $3 Amazon MP3 credit. Might as well grab it. The Cloud Player makes it an easier decision.

CRS

shorty_symd said:
No love for "I'm Beamin", "Shining Down" or "Till I Get there"?
Shining Down and I'm Beamin' are bonus tracks so they don't really count. Plus, the songs have been out for almost two years and at least a year respectively.

The M.O.B

The Show Goes On just hit Platinum status, 1 million sold. And it just now broke into the top 20 billboard songs for the first time.

rampage.gif

The M.O.B said:
The Show Goes On just hit Platinum status, 1 million sold. And it just now broke into the top 20 billboard songs for the first time.

rampage.gif

It had a Float On sample. What did u expect?!

Not real familiar with this artist outside of Kick Push. But he's putting on a free concert to all of us Ohio State students, so I went and picked up tickets today. Should be a good time.

Recon

Banned
bucknuticus said:
Not real familiar with this artist outside of Kick Push. But he's putting on a free concert to all of us Ohio State students, so I went and picked up tickets today. Should be a good time.

It will be. Lupe puts on one hell of a show.

Kinyou

I wanted to buy this album but after listening to some of the singles, looking at this thread and reading a few Amazon reviews I quickly abandoned that idea. Though what made me confused were several mentions of his label forcing him into mainstream, holding the album back etc.

So what's the situation on Lupe? Is he now completley owned by the label and will from now on only release crap or has he left them and is starting something new?

Amazon Review I'm referring to

Recon

Banned
Kinyou said:
I wanted to buy this album but after listening to some of the singles, looking at this thread and reading a few Amazon reviews I quickly abandoned that idea. Though what made me confused were several mentions of his label forcing him into mainstream, holding the album back etc.

So what's the situation on Lupe? Is he now completley owned by the label and will from now on only release crap or has he left them and is starting something new?

Amazon Review I'm referring to

Basically, he was taking too long with the album. Him and his label got into a pissing match and the label wasnt releasing the album Lupe wanted because they werent happy with the direction of the album. They basically made him make a bunch of pop singles and released that.

Kinyou

ReconYoda said:
Basically, he was taking too long with the album. Him and his label got into a pissing match and the label wasnt releasing the album Lupe wanted because they werent happy with the direction of the album. They basically made him make a bunch of pop singles and released that.
That's a shame. It's been a long time since I heard something so fresh and new like "The Cool". Would've liked to see his real album

Ashhong

Didn't really want to make a new thread, but he's finally releasing the mixtape "Friend of the People" on Thanksgiving day I believe

Kinyou

He also uploaded one song on Megaupload but since he deleted the link from his Facebook I'm kind of afraid to post the link here.

The M.O.B

FOTP was all beats ripped other songs, if FOTP2 is the same then i'm gonna skip.

I don't see why an artist as big as Lupe can't spend some money and get some dope orignal beats.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom