• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lupe Fiasco - Lasers (3rd album, first single out now)

Status
Not open for further replies.

overcast

zero_suit said:
Good if you think this will allow him to do what he wants..

Bad if you think Atlantic will interpret these sales as an indication of the direction Lupe should go in...
Yup, exactly what I was saying.

daffy

Banned
upJTboogie said:
That's weird because it's incredibly easy for me to tell them apart. Yeah Skylar is on both the hooks, but one is talking about politics and the other is talking about Em and Dres bromance, far from a carbon copy.
Ahem, I said it Sounds like I Need A Doctor. I didn't say the lyrics were the same at all. I actually like the lyrics for both songs. The beats and the melodies are horrible IMO. Skylar is fine.

FTH said:
Ahem, I said it Sounds like I Need A Doctor. I didn't say the lyrics were the same at all. I actually like the lyrics for both songs. The beats and the melodies are horrible IMO. Skylar is fine.
They sound similar in the chorus, I can see that, it was just the "carbon copy" that caught my eye though.

DominoKid

FTH said:
Hell. No. The song isn't horrible, but it is by no means that great. It sounds like a carbon copy of I Need A Doctor. The lyrics are fantastic, the sound of the record is abysmal. It sounds like it was produced inside of a traffic cone.

Alex Da Kid tracks are interchangeable like that

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Just saw that Lupe interview posted. Pretty good. I don't know whether to be on Lupe's side through all this BS or not, he seems pretty genuine about shit being screwed up behind the scenes :(

And yeah I'm not hearing this raving similarity between I Need A Doctor and Words I Never Said. The drum kicks for sure but Em being on one and Lupe on the other makes them sound pretty different altogether. Not quite at Luger-drums levels yet, but it wouldn't kill to hear something fresh. Last thing I want is both of these singles to blow up and then overnight Alex Da Kid becomes some larger than life superproducer to people. That's what happened to Bangladesh and Will.I.Am, and well you know..

Tabris

FTH said:

My itunes playlist has 'I need a Doctor' at 16 plays and 'Words I Never Said' at 72 plays. So trust me when I say I can tell a huge difference.

The beat is totally different. The tone of her voice is different. The lyrics are totally different. I don't know how you can associate them.

They are as similar as 'All the Lights' and 'Run This Town'. Think about that.

Ashhong said:
Even though its his most popular album, has he even had much exposure? I don't hear him on the radio. I feel like its just the old school Lupe fans and new fans that he has collected over the years.

I honestly wonder if Atlantic pulled a Def Jam and bought a bunch of the albums. Lasers has no hit songs, no buzz, no nothing. I realize he has a fanbase, but 225k first week sales in 2011, which is more than his last album (that had a hit single)..?

overcast

PhoenixDark said:
I honestly wonder if Atlantic pulled a Def Jam and bought a bunch of the albums. Lasers has no hit songs, no buzz, no nothing. I realize he has a fanbase, but 225k first week sales in 2011, which is more than his last album (that had a hit single)..?
That's what I was thinking. Superstar was a hit, this album doesn't have an absolute hit. I think show goes on did okay, maybe. So where are these big numbers really coming from? The hype? Which the common crowd has no clue about? No way.

Ashhong

PhoenixDark said:

What would that accomplish though? I think it will all show in week 2 numbers. I personally think Lupe built a pretty big fanbase over the years just from friends sharing music, and that is where the first week numbers came from. I dont expect him to sell much more.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Having the same amount of buzz that The Greatest Story Never Told had is pretty telling of what actual sales might be like. Not like Lupe cares anyways, he's against the arbitrary numerical measure of success, and barely makes money off of record sales. Atlantic however, cares in attempt to turn a profit, and Lupe is just a thorn in their side or just a really bad investment I'm guessing, if they were expecting T.I. Levels of success off record sales.

I was watching MTV2 yesterday (They were showing Martin back to back) and they showed a Lasers commercial every now and then. I was pretty surprised, but they played The Show Goes On. My sister loved it for the Modest Mouse sample but I was just about ready to slap her on the face.

Recon

Banned
spindashing said:
I was watching MTV2 yesterday (They were showing Martin back to back) and they showed a Lasers commercial every now and then. I was pretty surprised, but they played The Show Goes On. My sister loved it for the Modest Mouse sample but I was just about ready to slap her on the face.

Why? Its a good song.

PhoenixDark said:
Dude has been pimping the fuck out of Lasers on twitter and facebook for months now. I was going to unfollow him cause it just got so annoying seeing him retweet everyone saying they pre-ordered the album.

I'm actually not that surprised it's doing so well. Social media, man. I don't know how much of an impact it had but It definitely got my attention.

PhoenixDark said:

That makes no sense at all, in any way

ReconYoda said:
Why? Its a good song.
Decent. I paid for the single myself to support Lupe before the album got out but I rarely go back to listen to it. Words is a stronger song/better single in my opinion.

Recon

Banned
spindashing said:
Decent. I paid for the single myself to support Lupe before the album got out but I rarely go back to listen to it. Words is a stronger song/better single in my opinion.

Fair enough, but there is much worse your sister could be listening to. It still has a strong/positve message, which i advocate fully in hip hop.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
Regardless of what you think of Lasers, Lupe doing good is good for the industry. Dude has annoyed the shit out of me over the past year or so, but the game is better with him playing it.

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
love this album. I may be blinded by the light because I am a lupe stan.

A lot of these tracks deserve to shine as singles.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Why aren't you guys talking about that Sway verse? He murdered that song, probably my favourite verse off of the album.

This album is a piece of trash. Not even close to the first two. Going to pretend I never had the misfortune of hearing any of this shit and wait for a (hopefully) better album next time.

Recon

Banned
I understand disappointment, which i had, but a piece of trash? I guess if you only judged it compared to his previous albums, but it is still a decent-good hip hop album.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Knux-Future said:
More Lasers leftovers

Leaked by that Koolo dude that's been leaking a lot of shit

Lupe- Stereo Sun

http://www.mediafire.com/?e579gdee1ao5q23

edit: Better quality link
Just listened to this.. and wow, instantly the best Lupe song ever made because of the Top Gear/Clarkson reference alone:

Lupe said:
Cars moving at top gear, Jeremy Clarkson
I feel like this my first track and I ain't even start nothin

I got it Friday. They were sold out on Tuesday. They only had 7 damn copies.

Anyway, this is definitely a different album for Lupe. When I first heard that his label was pushing for a "commercial" song, I figured we might get a song or two with a more mainstream vibe. However, I feel like the label had their hands all over this one. It's just such a huge departure from his last two albums. Food & Liquor and The Cool are albums with a consistent theme. They feel organic and the songs all feel like they belong together. Lasers does not feel like this.

Which is not to say it is a bad album. It is a very good album. In fact, I think I will probably play it out in the coming weeks. Lupe may have been pushed to make an album with more mainstream appeal, but if you look at the album as a Lupe fan, listen to the lyrics, you will find a deep album. However, it doesn't seem quite as layered as his previous albums. But that is because, again, it does not feel organic. Instead of a natural flow, the songs appear just like any other album.

I'm sort of conflicted when it comes to the production. On one hand, it's really good. Some of the best I've heard in hip hop in a while. But again, it's not the consistent feeling that gave his last two albums a "feel."

I really dig some songs in particular of this album. I'm most interested in hearing the complicated history and battles of how this album came to be though. I'm still hoping we get The Great American Rap Album and LupE.N.D. Preferably on a new label.

ChanHuk

Banned
enzo_gt said:
Just listened to this.. and wow, instantly the best Lupe song ever made because of the Top Gear/Clarkson reference alone:

Stereo Sun is definitely fire, maybe the gang at Top Gear will use it next series.....hell I'll even enjoy it on Top Gear USA.

effzee

PhoenixDark said:
Lasers took a 78% sales dive in its second week. Yeah....

What did you expect him to sell? He has a sizable small fanbase which probably all bought the album already in week 1. Any future sales will be from what little radio airplay he gets and if the fanbase grows.

Even Superstar, which was a hit, barely got played here in NYC. The Show Goes On gets some play but they usually play 1 verse and then cut to another song. As if playing the whole song is too painful for them. Gotta get more Gucci and Wakka in!

I have yet to purchase the album (bills bills bills) but I seriously doubt its a piece of trash or garbage. I can tell from all the honest reviews that its not as good as his first two, has a more commercial less organic sound, but I seriously doubt his lyrics will be dumbed down to the level of the garbage that actually does get radio play.

yencid

tumblr_lifvtyuXwM1qfgs6ko1_500.png

Recon

Banned
Lasers was just ok. I still believe Food and Liquor was his best, and is one of the best debuts of any rapper in the last 10 years. I've been listening to it all week and its amazing how well put together it is.

Osaka

Did not ask for this tag
I don't understand why people obsess about record sales when it has nothing to do with the music itself.

That said, I like Lasers but I think Food & Liquor is still the best out of the 3. The Cool's worse, though. Some of the mixtapes are better than Lasers, as well.

PBY

Banned
Osaka said:
I don't understand why people obsess about record sales when it has nothing to do with the music itself.

That said, I like Lasers but I think Food & Liquor is still the best out of the 3. The Cool's worse, though. Some of the mixtapes are better than Lasers, as well.
get out

Imm0rt4l

TheLegendary said:
This album is a piece of trash. Not even close to the first two. Going to pretend I never had the misfortune of hearing any of this shit and wait for a (hopefully) better album next time.
It's only trash in relative to his other albums. I'm not saying it's a good album btw, I don't like it personally.

PhoenixDark said:
Lasers took a 78% sales dive in its second week. Yeah....
Who expects any album to have legs, let alone a lupe album?

Osaka said:

wow.....just wow.

Osaka

Did not ask for this tag
peterb0y said:

There's like 3 tracks on The Cool that I like. Go Go Gadget Flow, Little Weapon and Hiphop Saved My Life.

Anyway, off to waiting for the next Lupe album.

Imm0rt4l

Osaka said:
There's like 3 tracks on The Cool that I like. Go Go Gadget Flow, Little Weapon and Hiphop Saved My Life.

Anyway, off to waiting for the next Lupe album.
you liked little weapon? the fuck?

The cool had:

gold watch
the coolest
dumb it down
put you on game

and you name little weapon and hip hop saved my life? SERIOUSLY? I mean everybody has their own taste, but wtf.

Osaka

Did not ask for this tag
Imm0rt4l said:
you liked little weapon? the fuck?

The cool had:

gold watch
the coolest
dumb it down
put you on game

and you name little weapon and hip hop saved my life? SERIOUSLY? I mean everybody has their own taste, but wtf.

Okay, I give you The Coolest and Dumb It Down, they're okay but the sample on Gold Watch just pisses me off. :lol

I'm sorry. :(

EDIT: I've only given Lasers one listen-through so far, but overall I think it has a better vibe than The Cool. Might be that I'll grow bored of Lasers quicker than The Cool, though.

PBY

Banned
Osaka said:
Okay, I give you The Coolest and Dumb It Down, they're okay but the sample on Gold Watch just pisses me off. :lol

I'm sorry. :(
Eh opinions are opinions. But I have to say that I thought the Gold Watch sample is one of the rawest I've ever heard.

Bowser

Not to sound elitist or anything, but anyone who thinks Lasers is better than The Cool is just wrong. Sorry.

And Gold Watch is the shit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom