• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lupe Fiasco - Lasers (3rd album, first single out now)

Status
Not open for further replies.

CRS

Does anyone know the details on Lupe's contract with Atlantic? Specifically how many albums he has left with them?

I hope he drops them and goes independent or to a different label (i.e. GOOD Music).

As far as Lasers goes, I have little to no hype for the album now. Hopefully me having the bar so low helps out the album because I'm not feeling anything so far.

Still bitter about no "What U Want"

Tguy said:
Can't say I'm too excited for this album. Lupe's first two album puts me to sleep easily.
:/

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
ant1532 said:
All Black Everything

easily best song we've heard yet.
I love how Lupe keeps going back to this, but it feels like a weak attempt at another Glory lyrically.

Its straight, but damn... Normally, I'd never keep holding a guy to the standards that he set in his mixtapes but what the fuck Lupe?

I want to believe. :/

Recon

Banned
I have liked every song so far from Lasers. Its a different Lupe, but im ok with that. His lyrics are still there, and i just like the dude. All Black Everything is just straight fire, imo, the best yet.

ramyeon

Lasers definitely isn't bad from what I've heard so far but it doesn't quite live up. Especially with how long coming it's been. Let's hope Lupe pulls something amazing out to impress.

I dunno...I'm getting a little tired of "political" Lupe. I kinda wish he'd go back to just rapping about more personal things like in F&L, where the only political song was American Terrorist, which, ironically, was my favorite song on the album

Yuck. Love Lupe but that does nothing for me. It's so preachy and ham-fisted

I haven't heard any of the other songs as far as I can remember, though

I just heard I Don't Wanna Care Right Now and uhhh kind of an iffy track. On one hand it's just too weird/jumpy for me, but on the other hand it's not bad at all to me. Just not something I envision myself listening to more than a few times at best.

I really like All Black Everything (I played it like 10 times in a row earlier). I Don't Really Care Right Now is just alright to me. Chances are that's gonna be the "Hi-Definition" of the album for me. By that I mean I'll probably listen to it once and never touch it again.

parasight

Beautiful Lasers was so good when it was simpler; the way he performed it at his concerts. Now it's just overproduced to hell. Not really digging the new mix to State Run Radio either. It lost all its energy in the studio version, compared to the live version.

EDIT: This is whole thing is pretty damn overproduced. All Black Everything is the true standout. Waited so long for this album, and it disappointed me. It's not a bad album by any means, just not what I expected/wanted.

Quick thoughts from the first time through.

It's pretty good...not great but still pretty good standouts are All Black Everything, Till I get there, and Beautiful Lasers. Bad songs are out of my head and coming up. Lupe overused this MDMA dude and most of the songs have this stadium status sound so they end up sounding similar.

I like it but I can see a lot of people being mad. Oh well already bought the itunes pass so I'll have it either way.

edit: John Legend song sucks too.

Jason's Ultimatum said:
Lasers seems to be more "pop" than his previous albums. =\

Yep.

And that doesn't usually bother me ( I'm one of the few dudes that likes B.o.B's album) but it kinda does here.

I like like 7 songs outta 12 but still let down a bit

Imm0rt4l

Jason's Ultimatum said:
Lasers seems to be more "pop" than his previous albums. =\
yep.....his label must have compromised the shit out of him, and he's still barely just getting his shit released. This album isn't even out and it's already his worst.

I don't know what to feel about this album so far. Food & Liquor and The Cool were such great albums, but I'm not feeling a single track I've heard from Lasers. I want to like what I'm hearing, but I just don't. :/

Hopefully the full album start to end makes a better impression.

He also left a bunch of goos shit off the album.

Datpiff has a mxitape called Pre-lasers which has this one song with Common and Jennifer Hudson and it's awesome.

Horn Synth is on Travis Barker's album. What you want and Scream are absent.

Fuck Atlantic.

PBY

Banned
Its really easy just to blame Atlantic, when none of us will ever know the full situation, but shit- this album just isn't "Lupe"

Also, no Santos on any of the hooks? Fuck that

peterb0y said:
Its really easy just to blame Atlantic, when none of us will ever know the full situation, but shit- this album just isn't "Lupe"

Also, no Santos on any of the hooks? Fuck that

THIS. Santos>>>>>>>This Autotune motherfucker

PBY

Banned
I also think I would have liked more sampled beats... that pop-synth electro sound gets old real quick.

Coming Up is nice, So far I don't think the album is bad, just different for Lupe. It will probably grow on me some more.

EDIT: The hook on State Run Radio is a bit too overproduced. The verse is fine though.

The thing is that it has too many waaaaaaillling hooks. Lupe's actual verses are straight. The hooks ruin a lot of songs ( I'm looking at you two trey and MDMA)

methodman

Banned
damn... not what i was expecting at all (been on a lupe song freeze - plus I don't listen to leaked tracks as much as i used to so I don't fuck up my album listens). cool and f&l were so much better than this.

all black everything sounds like it's on a completely different album. that's what i wanted to hear lupe, damn :(

Gotta get this off my chest fully.

First time through song by song thoughts.

1. Letting Go
- Not a bad start, The distortion voice thing actually works here but is the start of the meh chorus syndrome the album has pretty bad. But great verses from Lupe. 4/5

2. Words i Never Said
- I'm not a big fan of Alex Da Kid so yeah. But I did like this song when it came out. I've cooled on it ( due to the really Lu? Lyrics) but It's ok. 3/5

3. Till I Get There
- SOOOO Good. It has the Lupe we all know and love. Tells a story, good flow and no waaaaaaaaillling chorus here. He really needed to do more of his own choruses on this. Goo mellow beat which is also welcoem change from the rock ballad style 4.5/5

4. I don't wanna care right now
- i wanted to hate this song completely but it's catchy enough to look past the shitty chorus. I can see a lot of people hating this song a lot tho. 2.5/5

5. Out of my Head
- Didn't finish it but it felt like a song Lupe should have been featured on and not have on his album...song sucks. 1.5/5

6. The Show goes on
- I like it. Fuck the haters. It's poppy as hell but also catchy. Good song IMO. 4/5

7. Beautiful Lasers
- Has the waaaaailing chorus issue but I really like the verses here. Chorus is the least horrible of the waaaailing style. I swear i've heard the beat before on song T.I song tho 4/5

8. Coming Up
- Mehtastic. Probably features the worst Lupe flow on the album..pretty lazy song in fact. 2/5

9. State Run Radio
- Once again good verses. Meh chorus. Just an Okay song 3/5

10. Break the Chain
- ESPN ruined this song for me before I even heard it but yet again Lupe himself saves it from being shit. 3.5/5

11. All Black Everything
- This song is great. Lupe was right to call this the best song on the album. He does fall into Lupe the Conspirisist shit but I'm able to look over it due to the great chorus and beat. Classic 5/5

12. Never Forget you
- I used to like John Legend but dude seriously ruins songs nowadays...Lupe is lazy as shit with the lyrics and flow on this song. Doesn't help that this is how the album end. I'm beaming is the perfect ender and of course it's on a bonus track. meh. 2/5

If this album had better choruses and few more songs it would be sooo much better.

It's not horrible but it's not great...perhaps not even good just Okay.

Right now I'll give it an 3.5/5.

Can't wait for Horn Synth to leak/drop.

Recon

Banned
Expendable. said:
Till I Get There is the only I song I would listen to again on this thing. :(

This is coming from someone who adores Food & Liquour.

Out of My Head is the only song i dislike, the rest i really enjoy, and this coming from someone who adored F&L,Cool,and all his mixtapes.

I've listened up to Beautiful Lasers so far and the only song I kinda "dislike" is Out of My Head. But I agree, "Till I Get There" is the best song so far (to the point in the album I've listened to)!

Recon

Banned
Zoramon089 said:
I've listened up to Beautiful Lasers so far and the only song I kinda "dislike" is Out of My Head. But I agree, "Till I Get There" is the best song so far (to the point in the album I've listened to)!

I think Beautiful Lasers is my favorite right now.

I really like State Run Radio but I kinda wish it had the energy of the live performance. That was really loud and booming and the album version is a bit subdued

BigBlackGamer said:
love the album. I think it's a good progression from his first 2 albums.

This isn't progression. It's the result of Atlantic having a noose around dudes neck and not letting him release anything that they don't want him to.

My not so humble opinion.

ChldRebelSoldr said:
Does anyone know the details on Lupe's contract with Atlantic? Specifically how many albums he has left with them?

I hope he drops them and goes independent or to a different label (i.e. GOOD Music).

As far as Lasers goes, I have little to no hype for the album now. Hopefully me having the bar so low helps out the album because I'm not feeling anything so far.

Still bitter about no "What U Want"

:/

I want to know as well. This MIGHT shed some light?

http://www.sohh.com/2010/10/lupe_fiasco_atlantic_records_underlying.html
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DGl5POy3xMg

internet said:
After the success of Lupe Fiasco's debut album "Food and Liquor" and his sophmore album " The Cool", he planned to retire with the release of his final three disk album L.U.P.END. Because of contract issues, Lupe was forced by his label(Atlantic Records) to release three more albums which has put a hold on his retirement from the game. His first of the three albums L.A.S.E.R.S was set to be released December 2009 but was postponed until 2010. According to Lupe, the album has been finished as well as submitted to the label since the beginning of 2010. Now it is all up to the label to decide when the album will officially be released. Since the summer of last year, Lupe has released to singles "Shining Down" and "I'm beamin" as well as kicked off his Steppin LASERS tour. Unfortunatley, Atlantic Records has still not given any date for the release of LASERS. Rumors have it that because of budget issues, Atlantic has decided to hold the album off until the end of 2010.

Atlantic Records has held back Lupe Fiasco's LASERS too long. We as fans need to stand up and do some thing about it. We are not Losers, WE ARE LASERS!!!

DominoKid said:
lol this shit is awful. fuck you Lupe. cant believe he bitched out and bent over for Atlantic.

It was either put this out or don't put nothing out?

You'd rather he'd just sit there a put nothing out?
Hopefully F&L2 is classic Lupe and what he wants to put out.

(._.)

Banned
DominoKid said:
lol this shit is awful. fuck you Lupe. cant believe he bitched out and bent over for Atlantic.
2sgn036amen.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom