• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

M.A.V. (Modular Assault Vehicle) - Indie Chromehounds For PC Intel Thread

cyberdogs7

Neo Member
Make it a GAF poll :p

I would, but I am trying to keep all the votes in a single location, as there are some very passionate fans / alpha members that I think would feel a little cheated if they couldn't see all the results (and discussion).

Do you think you could post some mockup screenshots using the different art styles?

I am working on some stuff right now, would posting reference from other games be acceptable?

Ashodin

Hey cyberdogs, I'm Maxrpg, I used to run the Chromehounds thread here on GAF, what you've got set up is amazing man! I love it

I would love to see this come to fruition, Chromehounds needs to come back.

CTLance

Oooooh, this looks neat.

I have issues with Paypal, so I can't join you guys in the alpha, but I will definitely follow this. Awesome.

cyberdogs7

Neo Member
I don't think that game is cell shaded... This sure is though.

I can see your point, but I think cel shading has many different degrees to it. 'Technically' the game IS cell shaded right now, as that is the lighting model I am using in all my shaders, I just don't have a classic cell shaded texture to go with it.

Borderlands is kind of the reverse, as we didn't have a cell shader at all, the shaders are a normal lighting model, but all the textures are painted in a way to make it feel cell shaded.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
I can see your point, but I think cel shading has many different degrees to it. 'Technically' the game IS cell shaded right now, as that is the lighting model I am using in all my shaders, I just don't have a classic cell shaded texture to go with it.
I was talking about the example game. That's not from your game is it? It's the opposite of what you described in that image, ie, bright cartoony colors (much of it even seems untextured) yet no outlines or stylized, well, actual shading.

cyberdogs7

Neo Member
You are correct, that is not from M.A.V., but I do believe it is using the cell shaded lighting model.

Mainly, I just wanted to put it up as an anchor point, showing how far 'cartoon' the game could go if people wanted it. So far it has no vote ;)

Also, the image is from Jonathan Blow's upcoming game 'The Witness', which I am sure will be awesome.

Ashodin

I actually think the lines would get in the way of accurate attacking. I really dug the realistic style of the original Chromehounds.

Now if you could turn off the cel-shading I'd be all for it.

cyberdogs7

Neo Member
Also, bought. Edit: fuck I should have checked if it's playable with a 360 controller first, I don't have a joystick...

I just got default 360 controller support in and will be in the latest build on Wednesday :)

(Also, the buttons are all re-mappable now, so you are not forced into the default setup)

Orayn

I'd go for realistic or stylized realism. I'm still open to the idea of a shader that makes textures look flatter and more inked/painted, but having darkened outlines feels a bit put of place.

I actually think the lines would get in the way of accurate attacking. I really dug the realistic style of the original Chromehounds.

Now if you could turn off the cel-shading I'd be all for it.

It looked like a PS2 game, in a good way. Having a straightforward lighting model and relatively few other effects on tip of it makes for a very clean, functional aesthetic that we just don't see enough of in modern games. Off the top of my head, two other games with that kind of minimalist style are Prototype (1), Armored Core 4, and Demon's Souls. Unsurprisingly, the last two are also FROM Software games using oldish middleware.

Ashodin

I just got default 360 controller support in and will be in the latest build on Wednesday :)

(Also, the buttons are all re-mappable now, so you are not forced into the default setup)

hnnngh 360 chromehounds keybindings would make it amazing

I totally forgot how the game even plays, it's been years!

Have an update, you mechanised scallywags:

This week I focused on some of the deeper 'behind the scenes' features, but they will have a big impact on the game.

One of the most exciting features for this week though is, Default support for the XBox 360 controller! You can now pilot your M.A.V. around with a controller, and as a side benefit, all the gameplay keys are re-mappable to work with any other joysticks you have.

---

As I said before, one of my primary goals this week was to flesh out the backend systems for the game play systems. I focused on splash damage this week (because the howitzer was so over powered).

The splash damage before had a linear falloff, and hit anything within it's blast area. This made it so a well placed shot to a cockpit would end up doing 5-10 times as much damage as listed (because it would deal the full damage to the whole M.A.V. it hit). So the first update was to make area damage weapons only explode if they don't directly hit and enemy. This also helps play into the role of these weapons better, which is not direct fire but area damage and area denial.

Now, to modify the area damage more, I implemented a line check when a round explodes. This was to make sure armor was effective at preventing splash damage to the parts it was protecting. This also makes sure only the parts that are exposed to the blast get damaged.

Speaking of armor, there is a new part stat. The Armor stat actually affects damage in two different ways depending on if the damage is direct fire or splash damage. You will also notice a new weapon stat call Impact Force. This is the counter stat to armor.

Armor

The armor rating of a part shows it's ability to deflect direct fire weapons. When a part is hit, a comparison is done against the Impact Force and the Armor. If the armor is greater then the impact force, the round is deflected and it will only do 75% damage to the part. Now if the damage is coming from splash damage, the Armor rating provides a Direct Damage Reduction. So if you have and armor rating of 60 and get hit with 100 points of splash damage, your part will only get dealt 40% damage, or 40 points of damage. This makes armor a great counter to splash damage and smaller rounds, like machine guns.

Impact Force

Now, you can see how the impact force can affect the damage you deal against armor, but it also has other benefits. High impact weapons have the ability to affect an enemies aim and even leg stability. The high an enemies Aim Stability and Shock Absorption the less the impact force will affect them.

Shock Absorption

Mobility platforms have a new stat as well to help counter the effects of impacts. This is a straight percentage reduction stat, so a rating of 100 will completely negate all the affects of impacts. If you absorption is low and the impact is big enough it could not only affect your aim but also push you around on the ground.

Now that all the new stats are explained, here is a complete breakdown of this week's changes :

+New M.A.V. editor Part info dialog UI addition

+ Part duplicate added to the part info

+ Added Medium Armor Part

+ Added Heavy Armor Part

+Implemented Shock absorption

+ Implemented Armor

+ Implemented Impact force

+ Added support for xbox controller

+ Added gameplay key to the re-mappable input dialog (shown at the game startup)

* Modified the Biped Leg Animation

* Fixed a bug in the way inter-M.A.V. collisions were calculated in the editor

* Fixed a bug that allowed AI to build a M.A.V. without a cockpit

* Fixed a bug the prevented a M.A.V. from being destroyed when it's cockpit was not attached to the legs

* Fixed several bugs in the AI threat assessment system

* Fixed several bugs in the AI aiming calculations

* Modified all weapon stats

* Fixed a bug that prevented editing weapon settings when playing in Siege mode

Also, there was a great vote on the art style of M.A.V. in the message board. As you can see from the votes, the game is in need of an updated art style, so that will be my focus this week.

Grab the new build!

cyberdogs7

Neo Member
Hey guys, just keeping you updated. If you didn't know I recently ran a poll about the art style, and everyone voted for a more realistic style, which I agree with.

So in the coming week, I will see how far I can get in completely switching the art style!

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Is the 360 controller update out then?

Also, how do I redownload the game? Can I just get the demo and login to make it the full game or is there another process?

Hope you have the budget/talent for that realistic look, since people probably voted on what looked best in the example pics rather than just getting a rough idea of the possibilities and voting based on that and the realities of development.

wwm0nkey

Hey guys, just keeping you updated. If you didn't know I recently ran a poll about the art style, and everyone voted for a more realistic style, which I agree with.

So in the coming week, I will see how far I can get in completely switching the art style!

Can't wait to see it.

Also, how do I redownload the game? Can I just get the demo and login to make it the full game or is there another process?

Hope you have the budget/talent for that realistic look, since people probably voted on what looked best in the example pics rather than just getting a rough idea of the possibilities and voting based on that and the realities of development.

You'll find the link to your account within the linked update blog.

cyberdogs7

Neo Member

Yup this is the 360 controller update. Because there is not an actual installer yet, make sure to delete the old files, as trying to copy over them invokes some crazy arcane windows bug that causes some of the files to not be overwritten and causes random bugs.

As for the realistic look, I am sure going to give it a shot. You never get better only doing things you know you can do ;)

cyberdogs7

Neo Member
I <3 Chromehounds, my biggest gaming regret is getting on board towards the end. For a 2013 filled to the brim with mech games (the best problem a gamer could ask for!), you are officially number one on my list. Chromehounds + your level of community engagement = SOLD. Really great work so far. I especially appreciate the balls to show off your work this early, most devs don't have what it takes to manage expectations from derpy fans while pleasing the super nerds who love to see this stuff as it gets built from the ground up.

I'll be buying as soon as I can!

Thanks!

Leynos

Hot damn, how have I missed this?! I LOVED Chromehounds, and was heartbroken when the servers went down.

I know what I'm buying when I get a job....

Edit: other than not having reverse joint legs, that mech in the latest dev diary looked just like my old sniper hound.

wwm0nkey

One thing I would love to see is more hill based maps for mid range encounters. Like have a few mountain passes and high cliffs that you can fall off of to break your legs lol

Oh and destructible city maps :p

New year, new build!

This build is a minor update due to the holidays and a long bout with the flu. Here are some of the changes that I made:

I have been very hard at work developing a new level. This level is a bit different then the others, as it will be done in the new art style as well as being 'final' quality. This means I have been spending a large amount of time play testing in a white box area, tweaking the combat, and adjusting other game play aspects so it all comes together in a complete package.

In regards to the new art style, I have also been spending a lot of time getting used to making models in the new style and working on developing shaders for the game that fit with the style.

(In case you missed it, the new art style is 'Realism', but I think there will have to be some stylized aspects mixed in)

So, that brings us back to this update:

+Added an Options menu
+Added Volume Options
+Added Invert Look Pitch Option
+Created Option Manager to store all your preferences (Saved to the 'Prefs/' folder)

* Updated the Procedural Generation system to work better with branching 'slave' parts.
* Massively reworked weapons balance. Still not perfect, ongoing effort with the level design.
* Fixed Audio playing on the server.
* Changed how the recoil system works. Cockpit aim stability now helps by increasing the time it takes for recoil to affect aiming positions.

Hello there, robot fetishists! A new build:

I have finally broken down and added (one of the most requested features) a new, dare I say BETTER, aiming system! The new aiming sytem has 'aim lock' meaning that rotation on your legs will NOT affect your aim point any longer. This has been a highly contested subject on the message board, but as promised I put it in and tried it out and I agree that the system works much better from a player stand point as well as allowing me to tune things better from a design stand point.

I have also been looking into other long standing bugs and annoyances as I continue to work on the level and art.

Changes:

+ New Aiming system added

* Added UI, Explosions, and Bird tweets to the volume manager. Now ALL sounds should be controllable with the options settings.

* Updated networking code to work with new aiming system

* Update AI to work with new aiming.

+ I have modeled a dozen or so new rocks and other level meshes to help be with the level design. These are not visible in the game yet though.

That Cyberdogs bloke...working miracles.

Couple of new quick screengrabs for ye. Downsized to the usual 900x507 from 1366x768 for ease of view.

33k.png

43k.png

53k.png

cyberdogs7

Neo Member
Just wanted to let you know that version 0.4.5 is out and there is an 'official' dedicated server that should be running 24/7 now.

I will let Pylon do the update he normally does, since he is so fantastic at doing them!

My updates have not been very ground breaking the past weeks as I am working on implementing a 'Benchmark' level that will fully show the art style, level detail, and general systems at the quality I want. As you can imagine, this take quite a bit of time, but I am still doing weekly updates with bug fixes and minor tweaks.

Just wanted to let you know that version 0.4.5 is out and there is an 'official' dedicated server that should be running 24/7 now.

I will let Pylon do the update he normally does, since he is so fantastic at doing them!

My updates have not been very ground breaking the past weeks as I am working on implementing a 'Benchmark' level that will fully show the art style, level detail, and general systems at the quality I want. As you can imagine, this take quite a bit of time, but I am still doing weekly updates with bug fixes and minor tweaks.

Bit late with the new one, man! Sorry about that. Great news on the dedicated server! Can't wait to log in and, well, get owned.

To the update!

Welcome to the 50th State of the Game! You won a BRAND NEW CAR!*

This week brings version 0.4.5 with it, so go to your user page and download the latest build.

I have been super busy figuring out some of the larger backend systems (Destruction and Impacts) so this is a bit smaller release than normal.

*You don't really win a car, sorry

Here are the changes this week:

+ I began work on a Destruction system to allow dynamic destruction of certain builds / walls
+ Added the first destructible asset, a concrete barrier. (Not currently in the levels)
+ Created an Impact system, to describe surface materials and help aid with collisions
+ Added several impact sounds for various bullet impacts
+ Added a Terrain Surface system that will allow me to do proper footstep sounds and effects
+ Created new F/X for some impacts. Not all are hook up yet.

* Modified weapon stats a small amount. (Mainly high end howitzers)
* Fixed bug with HD howitzers that made the shot speed super slow
* Fixed bug with weapon sounds not respecting Volume settings
* Tweaked AI spawning to favor MORE weapons, instead of a single high power weapon.
* Fixed Preferences not being automatically loaded on game start.

Can I interest you in what Cyberdogs has been banging away on till the early hours? Want some rye? Course ya do:

The focus of the week was multiplayer stability, which means trying to get rid of as many bugs as possible to make multiplayer games as fun can be.

This ended up being a complete rewrite of how I handle the networking, and I am very happy with the results. The new system provides a much smoother experience for the players, is more accurate, and uses less bandwidth!

I also, in the course of changing the multiplayer, revisited how the levels are handled from a code stand point. I revamped the whole level system as well, which means I have access to some more advanced features, plus the levels load much faster!

See below for a full list of changes:

+ Added zoomed rotation reduction to aiming
+ Added different cockpit rotation speeds to leg types (slow to fast, reverse joint, biped, treads)
+ Added ServerConfig.ini to Prefs folder to setup the defaults for the Siege server settings
+ Added Ability to name your game sever

* Adjusted clientside prediction for smoother multiplayer movement
* Adjusted lag compensation system for more accurate bullet replication
* Adjusted server side player code to reduce server overhead with multiple players
* Small tweaks to reduce bandwidth usage
* Fixed Rockets Audio not respecting Audio settings
* Adjusted level loading for faster load times

- Removed debug messages and cleaned up code to ensure server stability (did a 24 hour uptime test)

Part Balance Changes

+ Increase Damage of sniper rifles
+ Increased Damage of Howitzers
+ Decreased Sniper Recoil
+ Decreased Howitzer Recoil
+ Decreased shotgun recoil

* Tweaked bullet 'drop off' speed for out of range bullets

- Increased Sniper reload time

EDIT: Holy hell! Just logged into the multiplayer server - which I really shouldn't, because I'm at work - but that's awesome. Had a quick bash in a sandstorm with a group of folks, and while I had to pull the cord like any begrudgingly responsible employed person, incredible stuff. Smooth, too! Playing on the Texas server and I'm in Japan, not any real hitches or issues to speak of!

Get on this, people!

cyberdogs7

Neo Member
Just wanted to let everyone know, there is a multiplayer game being setup for 7pm EST with a bunch of alpha members. There is a mumble server setup and quite a few people will be recording the game to put together in a video.

Would be a great time to stop by and play some multiplayer action.

For more info (getting connected to the mumble server, exact times, ect.) check out the thread here

Congrats to Cyberdogs7 for a year at the independent coalface. That's right, MAV has been officially churning away for a whole orbit of the sun.

Here's this week's update:

Hey everyone, welcome to 1 year of State of the Games!

For this week, version 0.4.7 is released. Go grab it from your user page now. Sadly, this week I didn't get to spend as much time on M.A.V. development as I normally do, so this is more of a minor update.

Change list version 0.4.7 :

+ Added zooming to the Garage View (on the mouse wheel)
+ Added 'Attach point to Attach point' connection snapping in the Garage
+ Added attach helpers added to the currently 'dragged' part in the garage
+ Added Auto Generate button to the editor to build a random M.A.V. for you (does not do weapon settings)

+ Increased Howitzer splash damage range
+ Added logic to handle part rotations
+ Added ability to attach cockpits with other attachment points other then the base point
+ Added logic to prevent cockpits from being rotated
+ Added logic to lock rotation on parent parts of a cockpit

* Fixed the 'stuck part' issue that happened mainly on armor plates
* Fixed Armor to Cockpit attachments so you can armor a cockpit now
* Fixed unpredictable behavior of the generator attachments
* Fixed Bad rotations that could come from the old rotation system

* Reduced recoil of cannons to a more reasonable level
* Reduced recoil of howitzers to a more reasonable level
* Increased default howitzers horizontal spread
* Decreased default howitzers vertical spread

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Definitely starting to look like Chromehounds. I hope this turns out good, I *loved* Chromehounds.

Hope the multiplayer session went well! Damn timezones etc.!

New update:

This week sees the release of version 0.4.8, go grab it from your user page now.

This week I spent a lot of time in spreadsheets, makeing graphs, and crunching numbers to help me get to a much better overall part balance.

The result is a much better balanced system and a clear vision on how the parts system will continue on from here. This also means all of the weights are more in line, so all the parts are usable now!

Since I am not perfect, and I know I wasn't able to test every part in every combination, I would love feedback on the new balance. Also if you find any bugs, please report them on the message board.

Mech-heads, get it while it's hot! A new update is now on radar:

Hey everyone, this week I focused a lot of effort on tracking down bugs that made certain actions really annoying. With that, I present, version 0.4.9! As usual go and get the latest version from your user page.

I addition to the bug fixes, I have been hard at work on the updated art style, which will be launching in the form of a brand new level. I just wanted to point out that through the alpha release program I was able to get quite a lot of level assets to really make the level much better then I could have done on my own. This is 100% possible through the countinued support of the alpha members. Thanks to all the alpha members that made this posible!

Here is the change list for this week :

Gameplay

+ Updated Siege mode to add money to full team when any play earns money
+ Added proper Stats display on End of Round in Siege mode

* Fixed Server not correctly loading preferences on the first round
* Fixed the Visible Map on first loading a level
* Fixed Overhead map not displaying of the first button press
* Fixed Sever UI not displaying long server names correctly
* Fixed Health Icons not being removed on death

Balance

* Lowered Base Shotgun damage
* Increased Base Shotgun number of projectiles from 6 to 10
* Increased Base Shotgun ammo
* Increased Base Shotgun Impact force

Garage

+ Added collision to the Garage floor, invaliding any builds that penetrate the floor

* Fixed Part Icons staying on screen when removing a part
* Fixed random M.A.V.'s spawning over your M.A.V. in multiplayer

Other

* Optimized the Login process

Cyberdogs working that one-man magic!

MEGATON...Sony ain't got nothing on Bombdog:

Hey everyone, there is no updated version this week. I am hard at work putting together the finishing touches on the not so secert, secert level.

In the mean time, I wanted to still give you something this week, so I put together a few suprises.

First up, I want to share with you the back story of M.A.V. You can read the full story here.

Also, with the story update, I put together a full development plan, so you can get a much better idea of what M.A.V will look like in the future, as well as, when each feature will be coming online. Read the full plan here.

Now for a real treat:

This is quick screen shot of the level in it's state. It is coming along, but there are a few more polish tasks to finish up before it can go live. I hope you like it. :)

Until next week!

That looks terrific!

Top Bottom