• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mafia 2 Demo Impressions Thread - Steam, PlayStation Network, Xbox Live

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus
6bckj.jpg

Sit on your comfy couch and download the demo from your vendor of choice.

Then talk about it in here.

Just picked up the first Playboy collectible in the demo...

Purchase confirmed.

EDIT: Demo runs smooth as butter on my 5850 + C2D E8400 with everything on high but Physx.
However, it doesn't seem as though AA actually turns on or is only at 2x because some objects can be quite jaggy. I hate it when the only option they give is "Off" and "On"... where are the specific settings?!

Lastly, the game itself seems to be pretty decent. Not a big fan of the animations, which seem pretty dated. The voice work is fantastic, and the setting/timeline has clearly been treated with the utmost care (radio reports + music, etc. are great). Most definitely will be picking it up.

10 minute limit sucks, though! Someone get on that. :)

Benchmark came out to an average of 68.6fps, with a B Rank (whatever that means).

Daigoro

make sure to say what platform you're playing on when you give impressions please folks.

thanks. (this demo isnt out on consoles yet is it? i know the Steam version is out)

The M.O.B

PC Version.

It includes a benchmark.

Looks amazing and it runs great on my semi-gaming laptop.

Loading is also very fast!

Mik2121

Downloaded! Too bad my computer is not the best for gaming. But at least I'll be able to play with it until it shows up on the 360.

BeeDog

Awesome demo, feeling the game! On PC, the game's pretty fucking great-looking; the shooting feels great, meaty and all. Cover system works well too. The only thing I'm not really feeling is the cliched and stereotypical voice acting, pretty much ripped straight from a B-grade mobster movie.

Oh, and this game has the best collectibles ever. :p

It ran great on my laptop in 1920 resolution. Very nice. :)

*Car driving wasn´t funt with keyboard controls.
*City looks great, although a bit sterile compared to GTAIV.
*Cutscenes was much much better than in GTAIV.
*Cover systemt worked very well.

Nothing I will buy since I have played enough coverbased actiongames for now, but the game does its thing very well.

KillerAJD

HD 4870 and Q8200 OC'd to 2.8GHz and it runs at a nearly constant buttery smooth 30fps. The only time it dipped was near the end of the demo in the burning building, where it dropped 5-10 fps at times. I really liked the demo as well. Played through it with a 360 controller the first time, gonna try the m&kb the next time, as well as explore the city instead of going on the mission. However, I've run into a bug where once I exited the demo, the monitor I played it on is now dimmed, :lol. Annoying, and I've had it happen before for some reason, so a restart should fix it.

KillerAJD said:
HD 4870 and Q8200 OC'd to 2.8GHz and it runs at a nearly constant buttery smooth 30fps. The only time it dipped was near the end of the demo in the burning building, where it dropped 5-10 fps at times. I really liked the demo as well. Played through it with a 360 controller the first time, gonna try the m&kb the next time, as well as explore the city instead of going on the mission. However, I've run into a bug where once I exited the demo, the monitor I played it on is now dimmed, :lol. Annoying, and I've had it happen before for some reason, so a restart should fix it.

So it's locked at 30fps? It won't go above?

Nabs

LovingSteam said:
So it's locked at 30fps? It won't go above?
it's not locked at 30.

game ran pretty well and looked pretty nice. i just hope the final game has better AA options. i'll have to have a second go at it to explore a bit.

Mik2121

Sooo.. I already played through the demo!. I loved it!! Visually it's great though maybe, as someone already said, a bit sterile compared to GTA IV's city. But even then, woah.. definitely better than I expected.

Gameplay wise, I played with a 360 wired controller and it felt great, except for the character going into running animation just using the stick. Damn, let me turn run on/off by pressing a button! :(
Other than that, yeah, definitely loved it. I will try again on the 360 and PS3 and see which one feels the best.

Loved the demo. The driving really feels heavy and I like that, I like the amount of damage you and the others can take before they die. Will try the PS3 demo when it comes out.

LOVED the demo btw its the E3 2009 demo but polished.
Have the game orderd for a while now.
Runs great on my pc and looks great to!

I really loved the fact that's a real pc game, no press A to continue or that fact that you can't use numpad or your 4th or 5th mouse button.
Its a real pc game !!!

Dennis

Banned
Looks phenomenal and plays well so far. I am using the Xbox 360 controller and I am hurting from the lack of an invert Y-axis option.

This demo definitely made me much more interested in the game, wasn't really on my radar before. I will also agree with other and say that the PC port seems great. Ran really well on a not very good graphics card (Radeon 4830 I think).

darkressurection said:
This demo definitely made me much more interested in the game, wasn't really on my radar before. I will also agree with other and say that the PC port seems great. Ran really well on a not very good graphics card (Radeon 4830 I think).
That is what you get when we have a REAL pc game, no port.
Than more people will be able to play it because most pc games do not need a EXTREME rig to play games, but if its a crap console port you do.

Nice shots DennisK4

KillerAJD

So, where's the rest of the Playboy mags? I've only found the one in the house and in the brewery so far. Kind of an odd "hidden package" :lol

The Dutch Slayer said:
That is what you get when we have a REAL pc game, no port.
Than more people will be able to play it because most pc games do not need a EXTREME rig to play games, but if its a crap console port you do.

Nice shots DennisK4
Truth! I can't wait to run this on my gaming rig and really crank up the visuals.

burgerdog

DennisK4 said:
Looks phenomenal and plays well so far. I am using the Xbox 360 controller and I am hurting from the lack of an invert Y-axis option.

Invert the mouse, it will invert the Y-axis for the 360 controller as well. Forgot to mention that the game is awesome, so buying this.

Danneee

What, Steam demo?! And I went over my bandwith limit yesterday. Nooooooooo!

Well I'll just hope that the demo is small as I have to download it with a blazing speed of 20Kbps :lol

mandiller

Oh great. I didn't know the demo was out yet. Downloading on steam now :D

I love the original Mafia but I'm a little skeptical about this one. Let's see whether the demo changes my mind.

Mik2121

Danneee said:
What, Steam demo?! And I went over my bandwith limit yesterday. Nooooooooo!

Well I'll just hope that the demo is small as I have to download it with a blazing speed of 20Kbps :lol
It's 1GB. Good luck with that.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
So the console demo is out tomorrow, 360 should get it even though it's a day before the usual update day. Looking forward to trying this

Dennis

Banned
burgerdog said:
Invert the mouse, it will invert the Y-axis for the 360 controller as well. Forgot to mention that the game is awesome, so buying this.
Thanks, that worked! Now I feel stupid for not trying that.

My rig is feeling the pain at all settings max.

BeeDog

derFeef said:
Wait, you only have 10 MINUTES to play the demo?

10 minutes to roam the city after you leave the safe house, but if you go to the mission marker you get to play the entire mission without a time limit.

Daigoro

great looking screenshots.

is that digital timer/clock up in the corner the demo timer? thats not somene thats going to be in the game i assume.

derFeef

BeeDog said:
10 minutes to roam the city after you leave the safe house, but if you go to the mission marker you get to play the entire mission without a time limit.
Ah thanks, good to hear.

@wormstrangler
ha ha

Top Bottom