• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mafia 2 Demo Impressions Thread - Steam, PlayStation Network, Xbox Live

burgerdog said:
You could get banned for spoiler tagging scores.

Oops. I thought it was the other way around.

As for Mafia II, I just canceled my pre-order yesterday and switched it to Other M. After reading the review I might be pulling double duty.

bluedeviltron said:
And the mediocre reviews start rolling in.

Where from? If they're a review of the console versions we can just discount them outright anyway, its not the same game.

Edit: Xbox 360 review? Meh, we already know that version is shitty, didn't need a review to tell us that. Unless its a PC review its not even worth reading imo.

brain_stew said:
Where from? If they're a review of the console versions we can just discount them outright anyway, its not the same game.

Edit: Xbox 360 review? Meh, we already know that version is shitty, didn't need a review to tell us that. Unless its a PC review its not even worth reading imo.

Except it is the same game.

Loudninja

brain_stew said:

Actually I don't know what version they reviewed.

Dennis

Banned
Loudninja said:
Their main criticism seems to be the shooting gameplay.

be prepared for a pretty standard third-person shooter in the gameplay department. The “take cover, kill everyone, do it again” mechanic didn’t wow me, but it didn’t let me down either
But I liked that in the demo, so no worries.

Complaints about the graphics and presentation means shit on the PC

Zeliard

lol, pre-order

Thankfully, I don't require reviews to vindicate my future purchases, particularly out of an insipid publication like IGN. It would be Oscar-worthy horrible if that were the case.

Kifimbo

MTV also didn't like it much.

In the end, "Mafia 2" appears to be half-baked. While it does manage to do a few things well, it never reaches much higher than that. Uninspired gameplay and a non-interactive world are tough trade-offs for well-acted cutscenes and pretty scenery. If you're a fan of mafia movies, the cutscenes might be enough to get you through. If you're looking for a compelling action game, though, "Mafia 2" is simply adequate.

http://multiplayerblog.mtv.com/2010/08/23/mafia-2-review-crime-is-sometimes-punishment/

Dennis

Banned
bluedeviltron said:
And soon after the mediocre reviews start rolling in, so does the justifying of preorders.
bitchfoxyj8o.jpg

Pooya

joystiq
http://www.joystiq.com/2010/08/23/review-mafia-2/

3.5/5
I loved the setting enough that I can't tell you to avoid Mafia 2 and feel good about it, and my score reflects that. While there's not much to crow about here in terms of story or action, there were moments when the city and the music all gelled together that were downright transportive, and it'd be a shame to miss out on them.

Then again, when the credits roll, it's hard not to wonder if Vito might have been just as well off staying at the docks, forsaking the occasionally enjoyable (though more commonly dull) chores of living as a mafioso for the predictability of the docks. At least then he would have had the weekends off to actually explore the incredible city right in front of his face.

"non interactive world" seems to be a "I thought this was GTA" type complaint.

It is troubling that it recieved a 7.0 from IGN which has always had really low standards.

Dennis

Banned
sweetvar26 said:
I don't have much skills plus did this in a minute. How bad is this as a banner? :lol
:lol I like it. I had not seen that image before. Does Snoop have an acting part in the game?

jaaz

That IGN score seemed unusually low based on the text review of the game. I suppose that's the new IGN scoring system at work.

Dennis

Banned
jaaz said:
That IGN score seemed unusually low based on the text review of the game. I suppose that's the new IGN scoring system at work on non-overhyped non-american games.
Fixed. Seems to me they have been scoring that way for a long time.

brain_stew said:
In the same way that the NES port of Street Fighter 2 was the same as the arcade game, sure.

Are the console versions stripped of content that's there on the PC? I would assume that's what you meant with the above comparison.

CAW

Just a quick FYI, and I couldn't find an official thread, but I just fired up steam and the game says:

This game will unlock in approximately 1 hour

It's 11:30PM EST right now so I'm assuming this means a midnight release. I've never seen midnight release on steam before so it caught me totally by surprise.

Figured I'd give a heads up on that. So pumped right now!

http://store.steampowered.com/app/50130/

MMaRsu

Banned
CAW said:
Just a quick FYI, and I couldn't find an official thread, but I just fired up steam and the game says:

It's 11:30PM EST right now so I'm assuming this means a midnight release. I've never seen midnight release on steam before so it caught me totally by surprise.

Figured I'd give a heads up on that. So pumped right now!

http://store.steampowered.com/app/50130/

OT is on the first page...

Played the PC demo last night. Surprised at how good the shooting was. I also liked that I was able to get a decent sense of speed when in the car.

Zeliard

Hawk269 said:
Coming from being an exlusive Console game for over 15 years, always having the latest HDTV, Audio Rig and the best connections possible to max my gaming on console, I get this new PC Rig and play the 360 demo, then the PC Demo and back to the 360 demo and yeah, it is VERY Apparent where gaming is now.

You mean where gaming has always been.

Welcome to the fold.

Top Bottom