• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mafia 3 Reveal Trailer (Hangar 13/Take-Two, 2016, PC/PS4/XB1)

Screw the haters, I'm pretty stoked about an open world crime game set in my hometown. I really dug the CG trailer, though some solid gameplay would've been nice.

Coflash

Watching it again, I feel like if you took the nice visuals away it'd be more apparent as to how average the gameplay looks to be.

sn00zer

From reddit

Same chin scar
bKoDcKo.png

qQO7h7i.jpg

Raptor

Never played a Mafia game, does this games have lots of gunplay?

I want lots of gunplay and explosions and gore, blood!!

Raptor

Then the orignal Mafia is not for you.

I think I worded that wrong, I dont care for the other 2 Im asking just to know if I should get hyped for this or not lol.

I kinda want an openworld game where there is lots of shooting missions and stuff like that and less about driving.

Mr. Tibbs

Never played a Mafia game, does this games have lots of gunplay?

I want lots of gunplay and explosions and gore, blood!!

All the Mafia titles have had a heavy action-focus. This looks to be the most violent though.

The sequel seems to be fleshing out the mechanics and gameplay. One of the video previews mentioned there's multiple ways to, say, enter a drug den, by a boat, sneaking through the back entrance, or entering through the legitimate club front. There's an interrogation mechanic, a dynamic open-world, you can assign your lieutenants to certain sections of the city as you build an empire (which will change how your crime operation is run), mob retaliation, calling in favors for missions, bribes. It all sounds so cool!

Raptor

All the Mafia titles have had a heavy action-focus. This looks to be the most violent though.

The sequel seems to be fleshing out the mechanics and gameplay. One of the video previews mentioned there's multiple ways to, say, enter a drug den, by a boat, sneaking through the back entrance, or entering through the legitimate club front. There's an interrogation mechanic, a dynamic open-world, you can assign your lieutenants to certain sections of the city as you build an empire (which will change how your crime operation is run), mob retaliation, calling in favors for missions, bribes. It all sounds so cool!

Well god damn it sounds great and if you say is more violent is just awesome to me.

Thanks now Im on board the hype train for this :D

OK I will pretend my lieutenants are Clemenza, Tessio, I will gove some district to teh lady but who she could be? Connie?

lol.

I will be Michael of course, maybe Sonny!! :p

Zoso

It's been a long time, been a long time, been a long lonely lonely lonely lonely lonely time.
Wow! That's a big departure for the series. I like most of what I'm hearing though. Mainly I just hope they keep the focus on realistic storytelling and don't devolve into an open world littered with side-missions that are completely disconnected from the rest of the game.

The premise is great. I hope they can deliver.

Corpekata

Banned
Pls yes.

Although he kind of looks a bit *too* old for Vito since it's only been what, around a decade since the events of 2?

Yeah around 1968 he should only be at most 45.

Of course Mafia 2 took place over like a decade so it might just be the lead meets him later on in life, presuming it doesn't all take place in 68.

Hyped. I absolutely loved the first game and the second one had its moments too. I loved the period, music, acting and most of all the story in both games. I liked that they weren't the typical open world with tonnes of bloat but really a more linear story driven game that just happened to be set in a wonderfully crafted period city. I hope this one stays true to that legacy.

Stiler

In other words... fun to play.

To many of us fans of the original Mafia it doesn't.

We are used to the cars actually having "weight" to them, not being "floaty" and unrealistic.

On top of that cars do not do that when someone crashes one.

I want weighty/realistic handling, cars that actually SHOW damage and have a damage model rather then "perfectly fine car>someone touches it>burst into flames!"

Even Burnout, which was arcadey, understood that actually having damage modeling and variety is far more enjoyable then just a simple model-change
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cK-iVQa9ftE

BFIB

Cannot wait! Loved 2, and never thought of a bayou setting, but this looks fantastic.

Have a feeling Vito isn't going to be in it much.

Komo

Banned
Holy crap, this looks fantastic! I don't think I've ever been so interested in a Mafia game before, haha.

If it was an Italian American protagonist, then I wouldn't give a shit about this. They're going in a direction that's rarely seen in games. Haters who just wanna see another "Goodfellas" knock-off got no imagination.

The shooting looks kinda generic so they'll have to have a strong narrative for this to be good. Trailer seems like it's going in a cool direction

Mr. Tibbs

More details on the gameplay systems from a Games Radar preview. Quite a departure from the linear mission/open map setup of the previous two games. If they can pull off the dynamic narrative, this could be amazing.

As you take over the city you'll be assigning areas to your lieutenants to manage, something Andy describes as "an uneasy alliance". These aren't childhood friends you've grown up with, these are effectively rivals working together to bring down a common enemy. They'll react to how you dish out city districts and power, and not always well. "The narrative will change and adapt as you build friction based on the choices you’ve made," says Andy.

"The way in which you assign territory, not just at the hideout level but at the whole district level, will start to generate friction amongst those characters and it will play out in a number of different ways" he explains. "So the city you end up with, the characters, the state in which the characters are interacting with you towards the end of the game, can be very different potentially depending on the choices you’ve made throughout".

Taking down your rivals this time isn't about completing a set of missions, it's about weakening and attacking areas, called districts, to undermine the power of those controlling them. "What we do do is allow you to tackle the districts not just in any order, but to complete objectives within the districts to chip away at them, in any order," explains Andy. "So if you want to go in and take a district from root to branch, and do everything in the open world, 100% and learn everything there is to learn about that district, the character involved, you can. Or you can do bite-sized pieces all over the map. You can start chipping away here and there. You can learn more about the world as a whole, and you can also start building and linking a skill set to the point where you’ve gone for breadth and assigned a bunch of different weapons and services, and perks that you get by going wide initially instead".

Komo

Banned
If it was an Italian American protagonist, then I wouldn't give a shit about this. They're going in a direction that's rarely seen in games. Haters who just wanna see another "Goodfellas" knock-off got no imagination.

The shooting looks kinda generic so they'll have to have a strong narrative for this to be good. Trailer seems like it's going in a cool direction

Yeah, it's a refreshing perspective. Was definitely needed, imo

So hyped!

Are there that many "Goodfellas" knock-off games to begin with? Honest question here. All I can think of is Mafia, Omerta and maybe Godfather the Game if that counts.

Vinc

The vibe of this trailer was fantastic.

Couldn't be more excited for this. I freaking loved Mafia II.

I just want them to address the cliffhanger ending to Mafia 2. I loved the storyline in that game and was super disappointed when it ended. If Mafia 3 can give me some closure then I'll be happy.

Raptor

Went back 5 pages an people complaining about car's explosion and violence.

I think blood should spray out of that car while exploding with flying body parts everywhere goddamn.

Looks fucking amazing imo.

ChawlieTheFair

pip pip cheerio you slags!
Game looks really promising. Didn't see much of gunplay but have to imagine it will be fairly serviceable, as it was in 2. Looks like we were wrong about the multiple playable characters, but the way they are set up sounds interesting anyway, empire building is a really fun part of gaming, especially in open worlds (i.e Scarface, Godfather) so it's great to see a part of that come in. Even stuff like hiring muscle and other protection which was absent from Mafia 2(from what I remember) even in the Godfather (at least on the PS2 version). That's something that I really felt was missing from Mafia 2 and something that the Godfather at least nailed. In Mafia 2, you don't feel like a Mafioso, at least in regards to a crime "family". You certainly look the part, but none of the family benefits come into play. In the Godfather you felt like a guy who had connections, could get shit done with money rather than just by himself, which all goes into selling the believability of the world.

Obviously I'm a lil bias cause the game is set in my hometown, but the setting looks awesome. Will be really cool to see landmarks and areas like the French Quarter and wreak havoc in it. New Orleans and the south in general has a lot of style that you don't often see in games, and to pair it with a crime game makes it all the cooler. As for the black character, I love it, and I really like the stance they are taking with all the racial issues. It'd actually make a lot sense in terms of gameplay as well, having to possibly pay guys like Vito for protection from the cops etc. Speaking of which, sound like there could possibly be a branching story/multiple endings, maybe relating to how much attention/how many businesses/clubs you let your crew run.

As for the too actiony/too brutal comments from other posters. Yeah maybe I can kinda see that, but it certainly doesn't feel any more ridiculous than Mafia 2 in that regards. Mafia 1? Sure, but it seems the franchise has changed since then.

Anyway, really looking forward to this, both from a gameplay and story perspective. The only thing I would have to say I'm worried about is the comedy/fun aspect. Mafia 2 was full off fun characters in a goodfellas sense of the word, i.e these are hard-ass bastards but they are still hilarious. I hope the Lincoln isn't just a mopey guy the whole time, he needs a fun buddy, sorta like what Joe was in Mafia 2.

Corpekata

Banned
I just want them to address the cliffhanger ending to Mafia 2. I loved the storyline in that game and was super disappointed when it ended. If Mafia 3 can give me some closure then I'll be happy.

It wasn't a cliffhanger. The obvious happened.

That ending in a movie, nobody would expect a sequel, they'd take it at face value like it was meant to be.

ChawlieTheFair

pip pip cheerio you slags!
It wasn't a cliffhanger. The obvious happened.

That ending in a movie, nobody would expect a sequel, they'd take it at face value like it was meant to be.

yeah, Mafia 2's ending is actually really good in that regard, shit isn't thrown in your face.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
Never played a Mafia game before but the setting is really interesting.

Is this the first game ever to be set in New Orleans? Feels like it is.

Top Bottom