• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Mafia] NX Launch Night |OT| Back of the Line!

Sorian

Banned
Well, if I was an observer, I'd think Karkador staked too much of a position on himself (with almost no pressure on him) to be scum. Scum would want to remain fluid and anonymous enough at this point of the game, in order to blend with whatever comes up, and keep the conversation lasered on a player who is likely to get lynched - this is pretty much exactly what Launch is trying to do.

As an observer, I completely agree. This move does not seem to equal scum to me. The way I see it, there are 3 possible scenarios that can happen here but two of those scenarios make lynching you a good choice today. I just don't want to lynch you and then find that you flip ordinary town, if that's the case this would still be beneficial because we'd have no leads to track on day 2, but we still could have had leads without a townie sacrificing themselves.

Sorian

Banned
As an observer, I completely agree. This move does not seem to equal scum to me. The way I see it, there are 3 possible scenarios that can happen here but two of those scenarios make lynching you a good choice today. I just don't want to lynch you and then find that you flip ordinary town, if that's the case this would still be beneficial because we'd have no leads to track on day 2, but we still could have had leads without a townie sacrificing themselves.

I guess there are actually 4 scenarios but, so help me god, if we lynch you and you are an important town PR, I am going to find you and slap you.

One of the most important parts about being a good scum player, though, is subverting expectations.

roytheone

Don't you sass me! It's not like it's a random selection I'm just trying to poke people. Trying to get people to say stuff I'll remember.

STOP poking me! That shit is annoying and we will be in this line for quite a while.... Hey hey, what did I just say? Keep your fingers to yourself buddy!

But kidding aside: I am not the kind of person who will comment on every single post that someone makes. I have already gave my opinion on this Kark situation, and as far as I am concerned things haven't really changed all that much since then, it is still basically Kark VS launchpad VS Sorian with some side support from you and Blarg joking around. I have yet to see any real new insights that are worth commenting on, and I will not post just to post.

Also, the other people on your list all have stated that they have limited time in the weekends to play, and I tend to believe real life reasons for absence because using fake real life claims is an incredibly low tactic in my book. So I don't find that suspicious yet. If the day ends and they STILL haven't posted something substantial yet.......that would be more interesting.

On complete gut feeling alone, it's roytheone.

Sorian, you may want to change your GAF password, I think El topo has managed to hack your account.

Sorian

Banned
STOP poking me! That shit is annoying and we will be in this line for quite a while.... Hey hey, what did I just say? Keep your fingers to yourself buddy!

But kidding aside: I am not the kind of person who will comment on every single post that someone makes. I have already gave my opinion on this Kark situation, and as far as I am concerned things haven't really changed all that much since then, it is still basically Kark VS launchpad VS Sorian with some side support from you and Blarg joking around. I have yet to see any real new insights that are worth commenting on, and I will not post just to post.

Also, the other people on your list all have stated that they have limited time in the weekends to play, and I tend to believe real life reasons for absence because using fake real life claims is an incredibly low tactic in my book. So I don't find that suspicious yet. If the day ends and they STILL haven't posted something substantial yet.......that would be more interesting.

Sorian, you may want to change your GAF password, I think El topo has managed to hack your account.

Am I the dark horse vote that Launch and Kark team up on at the end of the day? Also, El Topo sent me a check in the mail, I'm still debating if I should cash it or not.

Karkador

Banned
You roleclaimed. I know you know how foolish an idea that is.

So, you saying that you're an ordinary kid, it brings up several questions. If you are an experienced player, and experienced players know not to roleclaim, why would you roleclaim? [/quote]

I disagree that it's foolish. I don't think Mafia is a game that can (or should) be boiled down to a standard procedure. I'm not convinced that anyone has to do anything. Predictable patterns are the easiest thing for people to hide in.

The immediate answer is that you wanted to push attention away from yourself, make people think "no mafia is bold enough to do a fake roleclaim right off the bat". But that takes players down the spiral of "could it be a double bluff? could it be a triple bluff?" and the base idea here is that it's an attempt to thwart any kind of reasoning against you.

Do you really think, if this move was so bad, that a fellow Mafia player wouldn't talk me down from it? Forget bluffs - we're talking about a mafia player drawing a big fat target on themselves on Day 1, in a game where there are probably no more than 3 of them. There's no legs to that kind of move.

Also, the fact that you keep saying that I've said nothing of merit, even though several people agree with my line of reasoning is a huge scum tell. Darryl has done this to me before, discrediting my reasoning even though I was nearly spot-on with it.

It's Day 1. People will believe a lot of things, unfortunately. With that said, I have 3 votes on me, which is also about as many Mafia as there are in this game.

If I flip Town, you have a huge lead to go on. If I flip scum, then it's true that you don't have any leads - and again, that should tell you how much of a scum play this is not.

I guess there are actually 4 scenarios but, so help me god, if we lynch you and you are an important town PR, I am going to find you and slap you.

The possibility that any lynch right now could be a Town PR should only make you more cautious. Slapping people IRL wont bring back the dead.

roytheone

Am I the dark horse vote that Launch and Kark team up on at the end of the day? Also, El Topo sent me a check in the mail, I'm still debating if I should cash it or not.

Oh, of course not....I think :) I just meant you were a main part of that discussion, not that you are actually being targeted by anyone. Also, how much money is that check? Maybe we can make a deal............

I disagree that it's foolish. I don't think Mafia is a game that can (or should) be boiled down to a standard procedure. I'm not convinced that anyone has to do anything. Predictable patterns are the easiest thing for people to hide in.

Give me a good reason why you roleclaimed without anyone putting you on the spot. You said it was to "do things differently". What does that mean? Tell me what your intent was.

Do you really think, if this move was so bad, that a fellow Mafia player wouldn't talk me down from it? Forget bluffs - we're talking about a mafia player drawing a big fat target on themselves on Day 1, in a game where there are probably no more than 3 of them. There's no legs to that kind of move.

That's not a good argument to make. Sometimes, what seems like a good idea on paper turns out backfiring. Hobohodo tried to wiggle his way out of an eviction in the AC game and the mafia all agreed it was a good plan, yet nobody seemed to realize the major flaw in it. And sometimes, mafia just fall into complacency with each other. There are quite a few "fresh" faces in here; I would not be surprised if any of them would defer to your experience if you brought something to them.

It's Day 1. People will believe a lot of things, unfortunately. With that said, I have 3 votes on me, which is also about as many Mafia as there are in this game.

I'm not sure what your point is here, but I'm not mafia. If the town comes after me next day phase on a mislynch, I'll deal with that then. However, the more you talk, the more I'm feeling this is a good decision.

If I flip Town, you have a huge lead to go on. If I flip scum, then it's true that you don't have any leads - and again, that should tell you how much of a scum play this is not.

If you flip scum, we have nothing to go on? Who cares? We killed a scum.

The possibility that any lynch right now could be a Town PR should only make you more cautious. Slapping people IRL wont bring back the dead.

Thankfully, you're not a PR.

Sorian

Banned
I don't know why you guys keep saying that like I'm asking for a decision right now :c

In your defense, you aren't pushing the vote at all (though you've said at least one or two things that have sounded like it) but it's easy to wait for the inevitable as well.

Your appeal to me has kind of hinged on a predictable pattern though. That being said you still aren't trying to defend yourself, you're trying to tease out more info from people which is why I['m letting you play this little game of yours.

I doubt the 3 votes on yours coincide with much. Also, Darryl would be the unluckiest mafia ever since he placed that vote before you had even posted anything too.

I can see avenues of discussion if you flip scum or town.

Any lynch on any day could be a town PR, we aren't more or less likely to hit one today as opposed to tomorrow barring the odds change from players leaving the game over time. You still went out of your way to draw people to you and yes, being a town PR doing that would have no basis in usefulness.

Oh, of course not....I think :) I just meant you were a main part of that discussion, not that you are actually being targeted by anyone. Also, how much money is that check? Maybe we can make a deal............

Unfortunately, I can not discuss my dealings with other clients. I will say that if you send a check and it is larger than his then I will have to decline his offer.

Claiming ordinary villager this early on the game is a power play. Also in my experience is better to just lynch them, since they are not going to be killed because either they are mafia or they are not worth killing for mafia.

So the question is, should we lynch Kark now or wait a bit?

Are you committing to this?

I know you are voting for Launch but are you still under the impression that this is a mock battle between scum Kark and scum Launch?

LaunchpadMcQ is using Karkador's perceived experience against him. He's killing him by glorifying him.

I want to destroy LaunchpadMcQ first. There's more to be gained by sabotaging the facility than offing the staff.

Fireblend

Banned

This is such a weird sentence. If you flip scum we won't have leads and that's what scum doesn't want? Would they rather us had leads? I get what you really wanted to say, but it feels unnecessarily convoluted, without even mentioning how ridiculous it seems trying to spin a day 1 scum lynch as a bad thing.

Ok, just so I don't get surprised lynched at the end of the phase, can we line up some arguments against me so I can try to convince some of you I'm town?

From a very selfish perspective, I think this would be a good use of time :p

LaunchpadMcQ is using Karkador's perceived experience against him. He's killing him by glorifying him.

I want to destroy LaunchpadMcQ first. There's more to be gained by sabotaging the facility than offing the staff.

If you're being serious here, care to explain more in-depth?

Sorian

Banned

Whether you realize it or not, I think you know why trying to off the staff might be a better use of our time.

Ok, just so I don't get surprised lynched at the end of the phase, can we line up some arguments against me so I can try to convince some of you I'm town?

From a very selfish perspective, I think this would be a good use of time :p

I'm not going to put words in your mouth so that you know any possible arguments someone might have with you, so I will not be participating. You ask Blarg a question in the part of this I didn't quote, that's good because the people levying real votes against you will be the ones to form real arguments (hopefully).

Ourobolus

Banned
Thoughts?

Your one word posts aren't giving me much to go on here. If there's another perspective I'm not seeing, by all means.

However, don't give Kark an out. Absolutely don't. I feel like he's flailing now and that's a good thing.
Yeah, I don't really want to expand on it just yet.

Karkador

Banned
Give me a good reason why you roleclaimed without anyone putting you on the spot. You said it was to "do things differently". What does that mean? Tell me what your intent was.

I already explained this in posts to you and others.

I'm not sure what your point is here, but I'm not mafia. If the town comes after me next day phase on a mislynch, I'll deal with that then. However, the more you talk, the more I'm feeling this is a good decision.

This is you, once again, deferring any responsibility of lynching Town.

If you flip scum, we have nothing to go on? Who cares? We killed a scum.

Ideally, if mafia were to sacrifice themselves, it would be to mislead the players away from the other mafia. I can't even think of how that would apply this early. It would have to be carefully built up over time.

Doing this immediately is part of why I did it.

Thankfully, you're not a PR.

Yes, of course I'm not.

Whether you realize it or not, I think you know why trying to off the staff might be a better use of our time.

LaunchpadMcQ is purposefully hyping Karkador's features up by focusing his marketing campaign around Kark being a sequel of a beloved long-running franchise despite Kark actually being a 60%-unrelated reboot shoed-in as a console launch title which never asked to exist in the first place

A few hapless consumers have already bought into his corporate-sponsored hype train

I blame the executive

I already explained this in posts to you and others.

Explain it again. Please.

This is you, once again, deferring any responsibility of lynching Town.

lol you're definitely scum with how much you're selling this.

I AM COMMITTED TO TAKING RESPONSIBILITY.

Sorian, get a pen and paper and write this shit down please.

Ideally, if mafia were to sacrifice themselves, it would be to mislead the players away from the other mafia. I can't even think of how that would apply this early. It would have to be carefully built up over time.

Except in this scenario, we're not expecting that the mafia sacrificed himself on purpose - we think he dun goof'd.

Doing this immediately is part of why I did it.

Huh?

Yes, of course I'm not.

Glad we agree on something.

LaunchpadMcQ is purposefully hyping Karkador's features up by focusing his marketing campaign around Kark being a sequel of a beloved long-running franchise despite Kark actually being a 60%-unrelated reboot shoed-in as a console launch title which never asked to exist in the first place

A few hapless consumers have already bought into his corporate-sponsored hype train

I blame the executive

Karkador doesn't do anything without purpose. I've seen his commentary on games; it's usually quite astute. I could be wrong here, but I believe I am right.

Both at the same time

Explain?

Sorian

Banned

I blame the executive

Nah, Launch hasn't sold me on Kark's features. I read up on this sequel and I think it will be met with stellar reviews.

Sorian

Banned
Sorian, get a pen and paper and write this shit down please.

6GnlNGh.png

Please sign and return to me by the end of business today, thank you.

SalvaPot

Are you committing to this?

Oh, I am lynching him. Maybe not this day but certainly before the game ends if we are both alive by then. My question was far more curiosity on how others think about Kark´s claim, so in a way it has let me get a few reads here and there.

Sorian

Banned
I'm still on this I'm afraid. Can someone explain to me why getting a town is lower because the game has less players? I assume this will be rebalanced, and the odds on D1 will be about the same as bigger games.

I'm just struggling to see a guy so staunchly for D1 no lynch before suddenly change.

Maybe I'm missing something in my head but it's not adding up for me.

I find it curious that Salva came by and didn't bother defending himself here.

Sorian

Banned
I already defended my stand, no need to repeat what I said.

You kind of did but he is still addressing something that didn't make sense. You said the odds or lynching a townie are probably lower in this game but that's not actually the case. Balance is set up by percentages, not just straight number of mafia so our odds of hitting town would be the same regardless of the size of the beginning player pool.

Darryl

Banned
I find it curious that you can't get a read off of Karkador but you are more than ready to throw read out on Blarg's words of all people.

The fuck is this garbage? Cabbeh asked for substance and I said that there could have been meaning behind Blargs post. A player posting substance (posts you can draw meaning from) is an entirely different thing from having a town/scum read on a player. You are back to sounding like scum Sorian. Really reaching to find things to talk about.

SalvaPot

You kind of did but he is still addressing something that didn't make sense. You said the odds or lynching a townie are probably lower in this game but that's not actually the case. Balance is set up by percentages, not just straight number of mafia so our odds of hitting town would be the same regardless of the size of the beginning player pool.

Well, we don´t know exactly how the roles are distributed, so I am mostly talking out of my ass, but a big game has around 6/23 mafia players and a small game has around 4/15 mafia players, so even if the odds are the same, the amount of players to choose from is bigger.

But if you want to get technical I am not going to argue, my playstyle is more defined by gut instincts and reading a game as a narrative, not math. I feel is better to lynch in this game.

Top Bottom