• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Mafia] NX Launch Night |OT| Back of the Line!

Karkador

Banned
I can see two reasons to be this aggressive early on. Either you want to be scum hiding out as town, and after leading a lynch, you'll claim that you did what you thought was right and hopefully people buy it.

Or you are town hoping to trap scum making a bad power play.

Either play is weak in my opinion.

I don't mind waiting, but like I said, you're inviting second guessing. It's a more reasonable approach, though.

If he flips ordinary, I'll take full responsibility. Well, not my personally, but I will accept that we could have handled it better. However, it really stinks...

If he flips PR, I will flip all the tables in my apartment over.

I think we're onto something, Sorian

I can see two reasons to be this aggressive early on. Either you want to be scum hiding out as town, and after leading a lynch, you'll claim that you did what you thought was right and hopefully people buy it.

Or you are town hoping to trap scum making a bad power play.

Either play is weak in my opinion.

It's not a play. I legitimately think Kark is scum. I have justified my reasoning. I am pursuing it single-mindedly because we have nothing else to go on and I rather place my bets on a player's strategy rather than the probability that we'll randomly lynch a mafia. It's that simple.

Because both you and LaunchpadMcQ are NoFun and your duel is a mutually-arranged high-risk, high-reward gambit intended to try and solidify both of your positions early as FunTown

Too high risk, mate.

We were practically just born, and yet Launch already has a vendetta against me, wanting to lynch me no matter what I am.

I have neither the information, the conviction nor the motive to get anybody lynched yet, and I assume every other Town is the same way.

I have the conviction. I wouldn't pursue someone so aggressively if I wasn't sure.

How many times have I criticized players for doing so haphazardly? You guys at least have to know I wouldn't do this if I didn't believe what I was saying.

cabot

How is that irrelevant? There are other posts more indicative of what he's been doing, but that post is not irrelevant. Read it in the context of all the other "GAF sucks" posts he's made.

I'm confused, are we talking about Darryl?

I'm in the middle of being Blarged, I need to keep the confusion to a minimum

Yes, you're on the brink of a turnabout! Don't let up now, Phoenix!

I'm confused, are we talking about Darryl?

I'm in the middle of being Blarged, I need to keep the confusion to a minimum

oops. No, that was my mistake.

Yeah, that was a sort of joke post, but it came after I had made some points against his argument and he ignored them. That's why I quoted that message.

cabot

hey guys I just watched gone girl on my hardcore l33t android phone while in the queue and quite frankly I feel like I'm in a very similar position to The 'Ben Affleck' Chin Dimple.

This console better be worth it

Karkador

Banned
However, the truths are as such:
  1. A town Karkador would not roleclaim this early.
  2. Any kind of trying to spin shit out of control is anti-town behavior.

That's all we need to know to say Karkador is a legitimately good shot at nabbing a NoFun scum lord.

What truths are these? I've played one game of GAF mafia, and I wasn't even Town then.

Sorian

Banned
Because both you and LaunchpadMcQ are NoFun and your duel is a mutually-arranged high-risk, high-reward gambit intended to try and solidify both of your positions early as FunTown

Blarg, I know you are a prophet but I'll quit Gafia if this is true.

We were practically just born, and yet Launch already has a vendetta against me, wanting to lynch me no matter what I am.

I have neither the information, the conviction nor the motive to get anybody lynched yet, and I assume every other Town is the same way.

His vendetta is completely fair, you made a play that I still think is quite scummy. If I'm wrong I'm going to be quite annoyed with you.

I thought I was more aggressive than him, I feel like I am pushing Kark at least as aggressively. But yeah the "Hah! I was waiting for this, what a perfect opportunity!" thing when Kark self voted was maybe something.

The difference was that Launch announced a few times beforehand that he was waiting for something like this, you, on the other hand, reacted when appropriate. If I had to read it, it's almost like Launch was trying to give himself an early out on the matter.

This is your game, not mine. I'm analyzing so that I can pick up the pieces once this day ends.

It's not a play. I legitimately think Kark is scum. I have justified my reasoning. I am pursuing it single-mindedly because we have nothing else to go on and I rather place my bets on a player's strategy rather than the probability that we'll randomly lynch a mafia. It's that simple.

Single-minded determination is silly, don't you think?

Yes, you're on the brink of a turnabout! Don't let up now, Phoenix!

No turnabout here, I see no reason why Kark shouldn't win the vote for today. It's the process of getting to the end vote that is interesting.

Single-minded determination is silly, don't you think?

No turnabout here, I see no reason why Kark shouldn't win the vote for today. It's the process of getting to the end vote that is interesting.

No, I don't think it's silly. I'm open to other ideas, but there is literally nothing else to go on this phase.

Also, that was a joke lol

Karkador

Banned
His vendetta is completely fair, you made a play that I still think is quite scummy. If I'm wrong I'm going to be quite annoyed with you.

Annoyed with me? If I'm truly voted out, blame those who voted - and hold them to it. You already understand how the scum in this game will hide behind "mistakes".
I've been as transparent as possible with my reasoning. However, I have no control over your votes.

Ourobolus

Banned
You tell us. Thoughts?
It looks like everyone has still been running in circles around the whole Kark thing and haven't really gotten anywhere, and Blarg is being Blarg.

Launch's obsession with it is a little strange, but I do understand a bit because it's a really weird play by Kark. I am becoming rather suspicious of batsnacks for going in hard on it too.

Blarg is blarging, as expected. Nothing out of the ordinary there yet.

As of right now, I don't want to vote for Kark. I know that's going back on what I said earlier, but I'm just not convinced after thinking about it a bit more. If he's scum and gets voted out, great. But I just...I don't know. I'm doing that whole WIFOM thing and haven't landed anywhere yet.

Karkador

Banned
This means nothing, you know how to play the game. This is a weird deflection.

It's an unnecessary one, since I thought we were all agreeing to not talk about other games and such - but he made a list, Sorian. That was some official-sounding shit that I could not let slide.

batsnacks

Annoyed with me? If I'm truly voted out, blame those who voted - and hold them to it. You already understand how the scum in this game will hide behind "mistakes".
I've been as transparent as possible with my reasoning. However, I have no control over your votes.

If you get voted out and you're town, it is only you that's to blame. How do you expect to create an environment where mafia can't hide behind mistakes by making arguably the two biggest mistakes possible d1?

If you flip town, I'll take responsibility for what I was involved with. I pursued you single-mindedly, and I'll take the consequences of however that may be construed later, but you deserve the blame for making unnecessary roleclaims and trying to pull some kind of shenanigans.

batsnacks

ebwop I want to elaborate on my last post. Kark does not want mafia to be able to hide behind honest townie mistakes. His means to this end is 1) advocating a no lynch and 2) self voting. Both of those are gigantic, town hurting mistakes.

If I am mafia, I DO NOT WANT Kark to be lynched. If I am mafia I can waste multiple days on Karks mistakes, I want to drag this out as long as possible, and I am certain he is not a power role so he is not dangerous to me.

Well you have to send it back in the original packaging but yeah as long as there's no water damage.

Cool... since I'm already here, I just wanna ask another quick question; I want to trade-in my old console for maximum store credit, but I think it's broken, look

UNVOTE: LaunchpadMcQ

VOTE: LaunchpadMcQ

See, even if I try turning it on and off again, it roars and heats-up like a rocket engine, I'm afraid to keep it on for much longer or it might explode or something :eek:

I'm willing to pay the cleaning cost, I just hope it doesn't devalue its price too much

ebwop I want to elaborate on my last post. Kark does not want mafia to be able to hide behind honest townie mistakes. His means to this end is 1) advocating a no lynch and 2) self voting. Both of those are gigantic, town hurting mistakes.

If I am mafia, I DO NOT WANT Kark to be lynched. If I am mafia I can waste multiple days on Karks mistakes, I want to drag this out as long as possible, and I am certain he is not a power role so he is not dangerous to me.

But what about my old console

Karkador

Banned
If you flip town, I'll take responsibility for what I was involved with. I pursued you single-mindedly, and I'll take the consequences of however that may be construed later, but you deserve the blame for making unnecessary roleclaims and trying to pull some kind of shenanigans.

I just find it funny that you had already started the spin on why you shouldn't be blamed.

I said I wanted to trust Town, and I don't think Town should knowingly turn on each other.

However, I don't think you're one of us.

VOTE: LaunchPadMcQ

batsnacks

Cool... since I'm already here, I just wanna ask another quick question; I want to trade-in my old console for maximum store credit, but I think it's broken, look

See, even if I try turning it on and off again, it roars and heats-up like a rocket engine, I'm afraid to keep it on for much longer or it might explode or something :eek:

I'm willing to pay the cleaning cost, I just hope it doesn't devalue its price too much

Well, I can offer you a free membership to our rewards program and offer you $5.69 store credit toward your next purchase of an EA game.

cabot

This got me thinking what exactly are we up against, short games mean either crazy amount of powers or very few very limited powers. This is why info is far more important than in a long game were the risk of getting a ordinary townie is higher. Here the odds of getting a town are lower when lynching, so for me it makes sense to start with a lynch.

I'm still on this I'm afraid. Can someone explain to me why getting a town is lower because the game has less players? I assume this will be rebalanced, and the odds on D1 will be about the same as bigger games.

I'm just struggling to see a guy so staunchly for D1 no lynch before suddenly change.

Maybe I'm missing something in my head but it's not adding up for me.

I just find it funny that you had already started the spin on why you shouldn't be blamed.

I said I wanted to trust Town, and I don't think Town should knowingly turn on each other.

Yes, me continually saying that I accept responsibility for whatever decisions I make, that's me actually saying I want none of the responsibility.

batsnacks

People I don't remember:
2. TheGoddamn [m]
3. roytheone [m]
7. Fireblend [m]
13. Lone_Prodigy [m]
15. RetroMG [m]

There is mafia in this list.

Karkador

Banned
Yes, me continually saying that I accept responsibility for whatever decisions I make, that's me actually saying I want none of the responsibility.

Except you don't really commit to the idea.

If I get lynched today, vote for yourself tomorrow. Put yourself directly on the firing line, the way I have.

cabot

People I don't remember:
2. TheGoddamn [m]
3. roytheone [m]
7. Fireblend [m]
13. Lone_Prodigy [m]
15. RetroMG [m]

Alright who has brown eyes. Hands up.

I bet there's Mafia in that list too. There's a good chance there is mafia in your list, because you've selected a third of the group. Thanks!

If I get lynched today, vote for yourself tomorrow. Put yourself directly on the firing line, the way I have.

You didn't put yourself on the firing line so much as started dancing, screaming with your arms raised saying "SHOOT ME SHOOT ME" as we were all kipping in the queue.

So, basically, if you're lynched and you flip town, I have to sacrifice myself? I'm absolutely of zero worth to town at that point? Even though I'm not the only person here who finds you suspicious as hell?

All this reasoning is solidifying Kark's guilt to me.

Karkador

Banned
So, basically, if you're lynched and you flip town, I have to sacrifice myself? I'm absolutely of zero worth to town at that point? Even though I'm not the only person here who finds you suspicious as hell?

Exactly what are you adding to the game, anyway?

Sorian

Banned

Oh, by all means, I don't let people weasel their way out of things they've done. I am starting to get the feeling I am going to be annoyed with you though which is a shame.

It's an unnecessary one, since I thought we were all agreeing to not talk about other games and such - but he made a list, Sorian. That was some official-sounding shit that I could not let slide.

Lists are srs business.

I know you are voting for Launch but are you still under the impression that this is a mock battle between scum Kark and scum Launch?

So, Launch is who you find most scummy at this time then? Will that be your final choice for today?

I'm still on this I'm afraid. Can someone explain to me why getting a town is lower because the game has less players? I assume this will be rebalanced, and the odds on D1 will be about the same as bigger games.

I'm just struggling to see a guy so staunchly for D1 no lynch before suddenly change.

Maybe I'm missing something in my head but it's not adding up for me.

Thank you for bringing up one of the other useful things that have come from today. Salva did slink right back into the shadow once Kark started his gambit. Something else to keep in mind.

People I don't remember:
2. TheGoddamn [m]
3. roytheone [m]
7. Fireblend [m]
13. Lone_Prodigy [m]
15. RetroMG [m]

On complete gut feeling alone, it's roytheone.

Sorian

Banned

Exactly what are you adding to the game, anyway?

With this back and forth, I do have a hard time believing you are just two town yelling at each other.

Karkador

Banned
Oh that's right, your excellent contribution of randomly voting for people, and now being "sure" and "single-minded" in your accusation that I'm scum, despite having zero information about me. If you're Town, you're the type of player that will easily be persuaded by scum. Tunnel vision isn't good.

You're more of a liability than anything at this point, Launch. At least I have something to say.

cabot

I'd just like to question batsnacks' memory, because Salvapot isn't in that list, but roytheone has at least posted frequently today (later than Salva's last post). TheGoddamn also gave us a reason for inactivity, again today. Retro checked in a couple of hours ago. The others have been quiet, so 'forgetting' them makes sense.

Basically, I don't trust your list. Should've just said suspects, not 'forgotten' ;)

Karkador

Banned
With this back and forth, I do have a hard time believing you are just two town yelling at each other.

Before you get too carried away with this theory, consider this: it was you who prompted me to do this (when you asked why I am against a Day 1 lynch), not Launch. I don't think you can reasonably think this is an act, unless you also hold that you were involved.

Launch jumped into the opportunity, though (and jumped in hard).

Sorian

Banned
Before you get too carried away with this theory, consider this: it was you who prompted me to do this (when you asked why I am against a Day 1 lynch), not Launch. I don't think you can reasonably think this is an act, unless you also hold that you were involved.

Launch jumped into the opportunity, though (and jumped in hard).

Don't misunderstand what I said, I'm not talking about a scenario that Blarg brought up where you are both scripting each other. I mean to say that I think one of you is probably right about the other.

batsnacks

I bet there's Mafia in that list too. There's a good chance there is mafia in your list, because you've selected a third of the group. Thanks!

Don't you sass me! It's not like it's a random selection I'm just trying to poke people. Trying to get people to say stuff I'll remember.

Oh that's right, your excellent contribution of randomly voting for people, and now being "sure" and "single-minded" in your accusation that I'm scum, despite having zero information about me. If you're Town, you're the type of player that will easily be persuaded by scum. Tunnel vision isn't good.

You're more of a liability than anything at this point, Launch. At least I have something to say.

Again with this nonsense. I've said 20 times over why you're scummy as all hell. I've reasoned it to taco valley and back. And yet, I have nothing to say?

Kark, are you ok with being lynched today on the basis your originally brought up? Because if yes, I am ok with putting the argument to rest and just lynching you like you wanted.

Fireblend

Banned
Damn. Do you guys never sleep?

"We should totally ignore this wild and unnecessary play and instead focus on lynching someone randomly."

Uh-huh.

What an excellent way to put things in my mouth. All I said was that by focusing on what Kark did we diminish the value of future reads on day 1. Say someone dies and we come back to today to read what he said. If all he did was support Kark's "free lynch" along with everyone then we're not getting much valuable info from that are we?

That's what I was saying. Of course we'll come back to it but I'd rather foster more conversation, maybe figure out if no lynch is actually the way to go, instead of falling for the easy "stupid play" talk.

What an excellent way to put things in my mouth. All I said was that by focusing on what Kark did we diminish the value of future reads on day 1. Say someone dies and we come back to today to read what he said. If all he did was support Kark's "free lynch" along with everyone then we're not getting much valuable info from that are we?

That's what I was saying. Of course we'll come back to it but I'd rather foster more conversation, maybe figure out if no lynch is actually the way to go, instead of falling for the easy "stupid play" talk.

Ok, how about this?

I've already stated and repeated why Karkador is a good lynch for today. I'm sticking to my choice.

I'm willing to discuss other options in the meantime.

Sorian

Banned
There's no ban on sass! don't you dare take away one of my few pleasures in life!

Just let him throw out his list. I put my suspicions in highlighted votes and he disguises them in lists with inaccurate titles.

Kark, are you ok with being lynched today on the basis your originally brought up? Because if yes, I am ok with putting the argument to rest and just lynching you like you wanted.

We both know you are going to vote to lynch him regardless, is there actually anything that would change your mind on the matter because I doubt it.

Damn. Do you guys never sleep?

No lynch definitely isn't the way to go now. If anything, Kark has now made it so that we have to lynch today. I'm not going to lie, I find it odd that you even brought that up right now.

We both know you are going to vote to lynch him regardless, is there actually anything that would change your mind on the matter because I doubt it.

No lynch definitely isn't the way to go now. If anything, Kark has now made it so that we have to lynch today. I'm not going to lie, I find it odd that you even brought that up right now.

If someone comes out and says "I'm mafia", then I will reconsider my position.

In all seriousness, I had no direction before Kark piped up. Now I have a direction and it makes sense to me. If someone presents some kind of well-reasoned argument as to why Kark is not a good lynch for today, I'll change my position, but so far no one has done this and I don't see it happening.

Also, Fireblend is looking really suspicious to me, but I rather keep our focus on Kark. Fireblend's actions being anti-town are contingent on whether Kark is mafia, and we don't know that yet.

Fireblend

Banned
Also, man, Kark and Launch going at each other really is something to behold. I want to think there is scum in there, because else two townies drawing that much attention to themselves and going for each other's throats on day 1 seems like a very risky thing, though maybe it's a way to draw other people to comment?

Ok, how about this?

I've already stated and repeated why Karkador is a good lynch for today. I'm sticking to my choice.

I'm willing to discuss other options in the meantime.

Sure, that sounds a lot less hostile. Don't get me wrong, I am still for a day 1 lynch, I agree that the most info we can get on day 1 the better, and Kark hasn't really gave his position any sensical support.

Yeah, it was an old post and somewhat irrelevant now. It felt oddly hostile towards me though, so I felt the need to respond.

Karkador

Banned
Don't misunderstand what I said, I'm not talking about a scenario that Blarg brought up where you are both scripting each other. I mean to say that I think one of you is probably right about the other.

Well, if I was an observer, I'd think Karkador staked too much of a position on himself (with almost no pressure on him) to be scum. Scum would want to remain fluid and anonymous enough at this point of the game, in order to blend with whatever comes up, and keep the conversation lasered on a player who is likely to get lynched - this is pretty much exactly what Launch is trying to do.

Again with this nonsense. I've said 20 times over why you're scummy as all hell. I've reasoned it to taco valley and back. And yet, I have nothing to say?

No you haven't. Your own "single-minded" delusions are not "reasoning". You owe the game more than that.

Lasering

Well, if I was an observer, I'd think Karkador staked too much of a position on himself (with almost no pressure on him) to be scum. Scum would want to remain fluid and anonymous enough at this point of the game, in order to blend with whatever comes up, and keep the conversation lasered on a player who is likely to get lynched - this is pretty much exactly what Launch is trying to do.

So, scum would do the opposite of what you're doing? Fascinating...

No you haven't. Your own "single-minded" delusions are not "reasoning". You owe the game more than that.

Let me break it down again...

You roleclaimed. I know you know how foolish an idea that is. I don't think you're foolish; I think this was a carefully calculated maneuver. I've seen you talk about games and participate in them, so I at least know that whatever you say is meaningful and should be taken as such. I'll not quote any specific ideas you may have expressed out of context, because it would be far too meta and I hate that shit as much as you do.

So, you saying that you're an ordinary kid, it brings up several questions. If you are an experienced player, and experienced players know not to roleclaim, why would you roleclaim? The immediate answer is that you wanted to push attention away from yourself, make people think "no mafia is bold enough to do a fake roleclaim right off the bat". But that takes players down the spiral of "could it be a double bluff? could it be a triple bluff?" and the base idea here is that it's an attempt to thwart any kind of reasoning against you.

And why would you not want people to have a well-reasoned case against you? Because you have something to hide.

And who has something to hide? Mafia.

Also, the fact that you keep saying that I've said nothing of merit, even though several people agree with my line of reasoning is a huge scum tell. Darryl has done this to me before, discrediting my reasoning even though I was nearly spot-on with it.

Top Bottom