• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Mafia] NX Launch Night |OT| Back of the Line!

Sorian

Banned
That's still pretty much my MO. I try to muddle people's reads, despite the fact that I'm town. I'd rather people not know what role I am regardless of my alignment.

And that's fine, it'll always be my MO to question everyone and their mother even if I end up being mafia one day but the past is the past. Like I said earlier, I'm not going to judge anyone (good or bad) based on their ways in the past because this is a new game, with new roles, and a fresh start. You're going to try to muddle people'es reads? That's fine, you just need to keep in mind that the downside is that when people can't read you, their suspicions become more interested in you.

And that's fine, it'll always be my MO to question everyone and their mother even if I end up being mafia one day but the past is the past. Like I said earlier, I'm not going to judge anyone (good or bad) based on their ways in the past because this is a new game, with new roles, and a fresh start. You're going to try to muddle people'es reads? That's fine, you just need to keep in mind that the downside is that when people can't read you, their suspicions become more interested in you.

I'll entertain their suspicions if need be.

Sorian

Banned
I meant you're contributing a lot and you haven't said anyone is mafia and there are people who have contributed less than you that have said people are mafia. I'm mostly interested in who people say is mafia d1.

I hope you don't mind but since you are only interested in who people say is mafia and since I don't believe there have been many posts like that, would you be willing to quote those for the new page for us? I just want to see a head count of who pointed their fingers where and how sure they were (pretending) to be.

Sorian

Banned
I just wanted a vote on the table. At this point, I don't know. Salva's posts have been weird to me...I don't know how to explain what I mean though. That said, it's not like we have a ton of info so a hunch is as good as anything considering the game's been on for less than a day.

You know I'm going to quote this and call you on it because now you've back pedaled a bit from the original reasoning you gave. Did his weird posts comes before or after your vote went out?

I'll entertain their suspicions if need be.

That's all I can ask on the first day. Talking is key.

Burbeting

Banned
Other stuff about first few hours:

- I'm not really sure what to think about first day lynch/no lynch right now. I have always played games with forced lynching every day before GAF:ia games. First day lynch will give us more information than no lynching at all though.

- Karkador playing mind games already, huh. He hasn't said anything else about the game than that though, I hope you come here more in all your might.

- Launch's "Day 1 sux" is bit of an odd post. There is lot important stuff in day 1, like Soriqn said, so I see it kind of suspecting that you want to disregard it.

- As I said earlier, I really can't say much about possible mafia-candidates so far. Eveb though Batsy really wants me to say something on the subject, I'm going to say exactly what Salva said: It's too early, I do not know yet. If that answer is not good for you, I'm sorry about that.

Sorian

Banned
Not to beat the old tree, but blarg is suspiciously quiet.

Other stuff about first few hours:

- I'm not really sure what to think about first day lynch/no lynch right now. I have always played games with forced lynching every day before GAF:ia games. First day lynch will give us more information than no lynching at all though.

- Karkador playing mind games already, huh. He hasn't said anything else about the game than that though, I hope you come here more in all your might.

- Launch's "Day 1 sux" is bit of an odd post. There is lot important stuff in day 1, like Soriqn said, so I see it kind of suspecting that you want to disregard it.

- As I said earlier, I really can't say much about possible mafia-candidates so far. Eveb though Batsy really wants me to say something on the subject, I'm going to say exactly what Salva said: It's too early, I do not know yet. If that answer is not good for you, I'm sorry about that.

All of this is excellent points. I'm surprised Salva read Blarg's matrix post as a hint or puzzle because I read it more as a lead in to things to come. And yet, we have nothing. Maybe he went away because I said I chose the blue pill? Someone want to say they'll take the Blarg pill? He might respond to that.

Kark might be playing at something and he might not. I'm not convinced either way. I'm hardly surprised that he is a no lynch enthusiast though.

Launch is playing at something else IMO. Saying any talking time is useless without a clear goal in mind is just suspicious all around.

batsnacks

I hope you don't mind but since you are only interested in who people say is mafia and since I don't believe there have been many posts like that, would you be willing to quote those for the new page for us? I just want to see a head count of who pointed their fingers where and how sure they were (pretending) to be.

I'm kind of lazy and don't really feel like going back and quoting everything people think is alignment indicative, but people have voted and put on pressure. cabbeh, you, and launch are all voting someone I think and maybe others, I'm not positive on the exact number. There are definitely suspicions that have been thrown around at least tentatively.

Sorian

Banned
What am I playing at?

I'm unable to tell you at this juncture. As you said yourself, you like to muddy the waters when it comes to people trying to read you and there are a few reasons why you would be doing that. I'm unable to narrow it down further at this time.

I'm kind of lazy and don't really feel like going back and quoting everything people think is alignment indicative, but people have voted and put on pressure. cabbeh, you, and launch are all voting someone I think and maybe others, I'm not positive on the exact number. There are definitely suspicions that have been thrown around at least tentatively.

I hate to be the bearer of bad news but my vote is akin to a prod at the moment. I have no suspicions for Goddamn at the moment because he has not posted. I suspect many of the others you listed aren't actually that serious about their own votes though they can feel free to speak for themselves.

I'm unable to tell you at this juncture. As you said yourself, you like to muddy the waters when it comes to people trying to read you and there are a few reasons why you would be doing that. I'm unable to narrow it down further at this time.

Being forward is overrated.

roytheone

Alright, my thoughts on lynch vs no lynch before I go to bed:

I am pro lynch day 1. It gives us something to go on for day 2. Yeah sure, we will probably lose a town member, but as long as our PR play it smart we should be able to avoid lynching them. If we don't lynch anybody, we would have given the mafia a free kill tonight and they have a head start. Unless our PR get lucky of course, but you shouldn't depend on that, we don't even know which PR we have (and I don't want to know yet, please keep quiet!!)

Also, the discussion itself about who to vote on is maybe of even more value. You will force people to give their reads on everybody, and even though day 1 reads aren't the best, they are at least something.

CzarTim

dktyQV3.png

8 votes needed for a majority.

Ourobolus

Banned
You know I'm going to quote this and call you on it because now you've back pedaled a bit from the original reasoning you gave. Did his weird posts comes before or after your vote went out?

That's all I can ask on the first day. Talking is key.
Oh, I know. I noticed the same thing you did about no lynch on day 1. Just didn't feel like getting into it to see if there was a reaction.

batsnacks

I hate to be the bearer of bad news but my vote is akin to a prod at the moment. I have no suspicions for Goddamn at the moment because he has not posted. I suspect many of the others you listed aren't actually that serious about their own votes though they can feel free to speak for themselves.

Even if no one is that serious right now I still try to get people to make reads.

Sorian

Banned
Even if no one is that serious right now I still try to get people to make reads.

Rightfully so, I just think there are more to reads than guessing at alignment. Sometimes thinking someone is suspicious is all you've got but on day 1, that can be a huge help.

Karkador

Banned
In your second point, information comes from dead bodies unfortunately and discussion that stemmed from those dead bodies. Without a dead body on day 1, all we get is one (probably) from night 1 and it usually doesn't mean as much when we didn't see the collaboration that led to that dead body. Reading a night kill is based on a lot more guesswork than reading a day kill. Am I looking for #scumtells right now? Of course not, everyone acts odd on day 1 because everyone kind of has a reason to hide, it's mafia, trust no one and all that jazz.

Information comes from dead bodies, but not really on Day 1. Killing a Power Role will confirm that they weren't lying about any information they shared, but nobody's used their powers yet.

I think a dead body from Night 1 is going to be confusing, whether or not we lynch today. Like I said, NoFun can freely coordinate their message all day, and what we learn will be minimal. I would rather have the potential extra day before LyLo, rather than miserably send someone home for some 'information' that will likely be forgotten by Day 3.

I also propose that the more Fun talks, the more openings we're giving NoFun to capitalize on, and confuse us.

So let's do this a little differently, shall we?

Do we want a body today? I'm a regular ass Ordinary Kid, and I volunteer myself as the fresh meat. I'm not throwing the game, so this is not a ragequit. As a non-PR, I wont necessarily be missed, unless you think I play well or add valuable insight to the discussion, or something (lol).

VOTE: Karkador

If you're Fun-aligned, it's really senseless to vote for me... but if you really want your Day 1 lynch, I propose you lynch me.

Information comes from dead bodies, but not really on Day 1. Killing a Power Role will confirm that they weren't lying about any information they shared, but nobody's used their powers yet.

I think a dead body from Night 1 is going to be confusing, whether or not we lynch today. Like I said, NoFun can freely coordinate their message all day, and what we learn will be minimal. I would rather have the potential extra day before LyLo, rather than miserably send someone home for some 'information' that will likely be forgotten by Day 3.

I also propose that the more Fun talks, the more openings we're giving NoFun to capitalize on, and confuse us.

Do we want a body today? I'm a regular ass Ordinary Kid, and I volunteer myself as the fresh meat. I'm not throwing the game, so this is not a ragequit. As a non-PR, I wont necessarily be missed, unless you think I play well or add valuable insight to the discussion, or something (lol).

If you're Fun-aligned, it's really senseless to vote for me... but if you really want your Day 1 lynch, I propose you lynch me.

lol the unnecessary gambit I was waiting for.

Sorian

Banned

Cute but ultimately worthless. This would be the kind of kill that would lead to no information unless you are bluffing. You might be bluffing, sure, but I'm not going to gamble on a bluff. The value in killing someone isn't just their role but also in the things they've said throughout the day. You've basically said nothing today. The information your body would provide would probably be fairly minimal at this point in time.

Karkador

Banned
Cute but ultimately worthless. This would be the kind of kill that would lead to no information unless you are bluffing. You might be bluffing, sure, but I'm not going to gamble on a bluff. The value in killing someone isn't just their role but also in the things they've said throughout the day. You've basically said nothing today. The information your body would provide would probably be fairly minimal at this point in time.

That's the point, and it goes for every player in Day 1

Ourobolus

Banned
But, and as much as higher numbers are good for town, two players dying (day/night) does give us a slightly smaller pool to choose from. And it's not like mafia has any idea who the PRs are, so it's just blind luck.

That said, let's vote Salva.

batsnacks

Hey, at least we won't lose a PR! And I know Sorian will join me because he said he would go ham on people that claim. :)

Sorian

Banned

Ah and that's where I disagree. The people who have created a pattern, talked, made claims, had to defend themselves. Those people do actually provide information, past that if someone is not contributing to town in any tangible way, day 1 is the perfect time to policy lynch them, when there is little to go on anyway and one player is as good as any other. In a game this small, I'd caution the second route but the game probably has less scum because of the smaller start size so that tactic is still viable IMO.

Two reasons why I can't condone a no lynch on day 1. It's just nerfing us in the long run.

I think you owe Fun an explanation for your vote, don't you think?

Sure.

I said it earlier, I was waiting for a player to do something crazy and unnecessary, but I honestly didn't expect it to happen. Yet, you set yourself up perfectly. I'm 80-90% certain you're scum.

If you're town and you know you're town, you know that sacrificing yourself is meaningless. It's even more meaningless if you have a role that won't offer up any additional information. An ordinary kid would just keep to himself, discuss things as if he weren't really a part of this whole thing, and try not to draw too much attention to himself because he doesn't want to die.

You've jumped out in front of the car. You're either a very foolish ordinary townie, because frankly these kinds of plays are completely unnecessary for a townie and as someone who has been in the community as long as you it's a given you know this already, or an overblown play by a no-fun-allowed.

Truth be told, I would be completely ok with lynching you even if you really are ordinary, because we wouldn't lose anything of worth, yet the chances are high that you're trying to put yourself out there so we think you're being noble or trying to gain some cred. And, as you said, we wouldn't gain much information even if we did lynch a PR, so you're as good a vote as any.

Sorian

Banned
But, and as much as higher numbers are good for town, two players dying (day/night) does give us a slightly smaller pool to choose from. And it's not like mafia has any idea who the PRs are, so it's just blind luck.

That said, let's vote Salva.

I doubt I'll end up voting on either of these two, though we'll see there. Sell me on Salva instead of Kark.

Hey, at least we won't lose a PR! And I know Sorian will join me because he said he would go ham on people that claim. :)

Claiming ordinary isn't a role claim. For some it is, but it's just a bad shield that anyone can hide behind. It means nothing to me.

batsnacks

Claiming ordinary isn't a role claim. For some it is, but it's just a bad shield that anyone can hide behind. It means nothing to me.

If he's town it means a lot to mafia, I think it increases their chances of sniping a blue by a solid 10%. So that means town wouldn't do this, right?

Sorian

Banned
Sure.

I said it earlier, I was waiting for a player to do something crazy and unnecessary, but I honestly didn't expect it to happen. Yet, you set yourself up perfectly. I'm 80-90% certain you're scum.

If you're town and you know you're town, you know that sacrificing yourself is meaningless. It's even more meaningless if you have a role that won't offer up any additional information. An ordinary kid would just keep to himself, discuss things as if he weren't really a part of this whole thing, and try not to draw too much attention to himself because he doesn't want to die.

You've jumped out in front of the car. You're either a very foolish ordinary townie, because frankly these kinds of plays are completely unnecessary for a townie and as someone who has been in the community as long as you it's a given you know this already, or an overblown play by a no-fun-allowed.

Truth be told, I would be completely ok with lynching you even if you really are ordinary, because we wouldn't lose anything of worth, yet the chances are high that you're trying to put yourself out there so we think you're being noble or trying to gain some cred. And, as you said, we wouldn't gain much information even if we did lynch a PR, so you're as good a vote as any.

I've seen these plays too many times. Lynch this fool.

Your point has merit and I agree that it's almost as scummy as someone playing the whole pity party card but I see no reason to go along with Kark's proposal at this time. We have plenty of time left in this day phase and all of the actors haven't even made it to the show yet.

Your point has merit and I agree that it's almost as scummy as someone playing the whole pity party card but I see no reason to go along with Kark's proposal at this time. We have plenty of time left in this day phase and all of the actors haven't even made it to the show yet.

It's true, but as time ticks down, people start questioning their decisions.

I'm trusting my gut on this one. Hold me to that.

Sorian

Banned
If he's town it means a lot to mafia, I think it increases their chances of sniping a blue by a solid 10%. So that means town wouldn't do this, right?

Anyone with a PR would also just claim to be ordinary on day 1. Again, it's a bad shield. If the mafia is falling for garbage like that then I can claim ordinary kid too and they won't bother with me tonight either but everyone knows that claim is garbage and doesn't actually provide protection from lynching or night killing.

Ourobolus

Banned
I doubt I'll end up voting on either of these two, though we'll see there. Sell me on Salva instead of Kark.

Yeah, I can't. Not yet at least. It's really just a hunch at this point. Kark is fine too, I guess.

Watch me die tonight, lol.

batsnacks

Anyone with a PR would also just claim to be ordinary on day 1. Again, it's a bad shield. If the mafia is falling for garbage like that then I can claim ordinary kid too and they won't bother with me tonight either but everyone knows that claim is garbage and doesn't actually provide protection from lynching or night killing.

Dude no blue is ever going to just claim VT at the first sign of pressure for like almost no reason. He is either mafia or he is town and just got mafia significantly closer to our blues.

Karkador

Banned
Lol, alright Launch. We'll have a debate. I stepped out to dinner after making that post, but I'll continue when I get back.

But let me just say, if you think this is a mafia play, you're worse at math than I am.

Sorian

Banned
Yeah, I can't. Not yet at least. It's really just a hunch at this point. Kark is fine too, I guess.

Watch me die tonight, lol.

You have time. If your hunch makes any sense then you'll be able to explain it as the day goes on.

Dude no blue is ever going to just claim VT at the first sign of pressure for like almost no reason. He is either mafia or he is town and just got mafia significantly closer to our blues.

Your terminology is foreign to me. Does blue mean power role? I still don't buy it. Mafia would still have to have a conversation if they believe Kark or not. Not the case if we lynch him, of course, and we may have to do that but they aren't going to just 100% ignore him now. If they were then our PRs should all totally make that claim and then mafia can just target the rest of us.

Kark is going back to his mafia buddies to confer with them about how he stepped in it.

I'm getting lynched tonight, betting on it.

If you were lynched tonight and we didn't kill Kark then that would be pretty telling, wouldn't it?

Sorian

Banned
I'm also stepping out for food now btw, so my posts will probably be farther a part and more succinct since I'm on mobile. Just a heads-up.

Lol, alright Launch. We'll have a debate. I stepped out to dinner after making that post, but I'll continue when I get back.

But let me just say, if you think this is a mafia play, you're worse at math than I am.

Hmm. Yes. "Math".

You forget I had Tim in my game. I learned from the king of unnecessary gambits.

If you were lynched tonight and we didn't kill Kark then that would be pretty telling, wouldn't it?

I obviously meant murdered :c

batsnacks

Your terminology is foreign to me. Does blue mean power role? I still don't buy it. Mafia would still have to have a conversation if they believe Kark or not. Not the case if we lynch him, of course, and we may have to do that but they aren't going to just 100% ignore him now. If they were then our PRs should all totally make that claim and then mafia can just target the rest of us.

Blue is power role yeah. But seriously no power role ever hard claims Ordinary Town and then self votes at the earliest sign of pressure. I can't be convinced that ever happens. If Kark is town then mafia can be very confident he is an Ordinary Town and will never night kill him.

SalvaPot

Claiming ordinary villager this early on the game is a power play. Also in my experience is better to just lynch them, since they are not going to be killed because either they are mafia or they are not worth killing for mafia.

So the question is, should we lynch Kark now or wait a bit?

Sorian

Banned
Blue is power role yeah. But seriously no power role ever hard claims Ordinary Town and then self votes at the earliest sign of pressure. I can't be convinced that ever happens. If Kark is town then mafia can be very confident he is an Ordinary Town and will never night kill him.

There was no pressure on him though, that's why this stinks to me.

Claiming ordinary villager this early on the game is a power play. Also in my experience is better to just lynch them, since they are not going to be killed because either they are mafia or they are not worth killing for mafia.

So the question is, should we lynch Kark now or wait a bit?

If it's not plainly obvious I want to wait. We definitely shouldn't end a day before everyone has posted especially within 24 hours, we could be missing people at work or sleeping.

batsnacks

If it's not plainly obvious I want to wait. We definitely shouldn't end a day before everyone has posted especially within 24 hours, we could be missing people at work or sleeping.

I think this is good and I also think lynching Kark is good. Most of the mafia games I've played have been regular plurality lynch so I'm used to voting quick and not having to worry about cutting the day short.

There are so many ways to spin this, but the big thing here is that Kark gave us something on a day when we would ordinarily have nothing. Let's take advantage of it.

Top Bottom