• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Mafia] NX Launch Night |OT| Back of the Line!

Sorian

Banned
I know nothing of the sort. Explain.

3803089-2890651909-avn1U.gif

People may say things today that don't mesh with something they say down the line. Day 1 is great for getting people to talk so there is interesting things to fall back on later in the game when patterns start showing up. Again, I know that you know this and it feels scummy that you are making me say it out loud.

SalvaPot

What if your choices were limited to these people?
1. cabbeh [m]
2. TheGoddamn [m]
3. roytheone [m]
4. Darryl [-]
5. Sorian [m]
6. batsnacks [m]
7. Fireblend [m]
8. Karkador [m]
9. Burbeting [m]
11. Ourobolus [m]
12. LaunchpadMcQ [m]
13. Lone_Prodigy [m]
14. Blargonaut [m]
15. RetroMG [m]

Its too early, I have nothing yet =). Who would you suggest?

Burbeting

Banned
I was playing Mario Kart 8 in the corner of this line, so I completely forgot you other ppl were talking about all important stuff, sorry!

What if your choices were limited to these people?
1. cabbeh [m]
2. TheGoddamn [m]
3. roytheone [m]
4. Darryl [-]
5. Sorian [m]
6. batsnacks [m]
7. Fireblend [m]
8. Karkador [m]
9. Burbeting [m]
11. Ourobolus [m]
12. LaunchpadMcQ [m]
13. Lone_Prodigy [m]
14. Blargonaut [m]
15. RetroMG [m]

Alright Smarty McSmartypants, I'm going to go out and agree with Darryl that for some reason you are really craving for attention. For what reason though, I don't understand at all. Asking for someone's mafia candidates is not really that valuable when the game has only run for only four hours and not everyone has even posted.

But really, Bat's posts so far have been weird. Stuff like his post for Darryl and asking people questions that are basically completely-no-value at this early of the game feels like Bats is trying to make himself look like active and useful townie without really being active and useful at all.

Back on topic, we need to hear from these folks. In retrospect, I probably should have thrown my vote on Retro or Prodigy because I find it more curious that they haven't posted. But what's done is done and I'm not letting a vote slide until I get some discussion out of it. Officially I am waiting for Goddamn

Asking curiously, why Goddamn out of these people? You even mention Prodigy, who left a message just before game started yet has not come here to say anything, which is more interesting to me than GodDamn who might just not have checked internet for some hours.

Sorian

Banned
Asking curiously, why Goddamn out of these people? You even mention Prodigy, who left a message just before game started yet has not come here to say anything, which is more interesting to me than GodDamn who might just not have checked internet for some hours.

After Darryl responded to me, I went back to the lsit and just grabbed the person closest to the top who hadn't posted yet. It was dumb in retrospect since I think Goddamn is in a european timezone? and Yeah, Prodigy had just posted before game start and I figured Retro would be more likely to be around.

roytheone

After Darryl responded to me, I went back to the lsit and just grabbed the person closest to the top who hadn't posted yet. It was dumb in retrospect since I think Goddamn is in a european timezone? and Yeah, Prodigy had just posted before game start and I figured Retro would be more likely to be around.

I think he is, yes. For your information, it is now 11.00 pm where I live in Europe (GMT +2) so if he can only post in the morning it could take a while for him to respond.

Sorian

Banned
I think he is, yes. For your information, it is now 11.00 pm where I live in Europe (GMT +2) so if he can only post in the morning it could take a while for him to respond.

Yeah I figured, I'm just sitting on my official vote for now. I still parrot what I said earlier even though Prodigy and Retro have both posted now but all they did was pop in and say they are busy and will talk later. Yes, they've "contributed" now so they aren't inactives but they haven't said much yet.

I didn't know I was the last to confirm, so I posted and then went away.

Agree that batsnacks has been posting somewhat erratically but I don't think it's really that suspicious.

3803089-2890651909-avn1U.gif

People may say things today that don't mesh with something they say down the line. Day 1 is great for getting people to talk so there is interesting things to fall back on later in the game when patterns start showing up. Again, I know that you know this and it feels scummy that you are making me say it out loud.

My point was that I don't really need to create a baseline for myself because I know I'm not scum, and also I'm not going to be able to force information from anyone without any information myself. I'll respond to things as they come up, but I have nothing to offer myself at the moment.

Sorian

Banned
My point was that I don't really need to create a baseline for myself because I know I'm not scum, and also I'm not going to be able to force information from anyone without any information myself. I'll respond to things as they come up, but I have nothing to offer myself at the moment.

Yes, yes, everyone knows that they are not scum except obviously some people are scum so we need those baselines around for discussion later.

Sorian

Banned
I didn't know I was the last to confirm, so I posted and then went away.

Agree that batsnacks has been posting somewhat erratically but I don't think it's really that suspicious.

Maybe, case in point for my baseline post above. I don't know anything about batsnacks. This erratic post history could be par for the course for all I know and even with people that I do know like Darryl, I still want to see how they react on opening day because I'm not going to make assumptions based on past play, that's a fool's path. This is a new game and you all need to be analyzed with that new lens. Speaking of which, I feel like I sound like Karkador and he hasn't been around either.

Hey guys, I looked up some mafia strats and it says that mafia are better off just revealing themselves on the first day. So, go ahead guys.

batsnacks

Its too early, I have nothing yet =). Who would you suggest?
Maybe Ourobolus he seemed disconnected from the thread.

Maybe burbeting he has posted a lot about me without saying anything about my alignment. There's a pattern where he points out something I'm doing and then sort of lets it go by saying he doesn't understand.
I'm going to go out and agree with Darryl that for some reason you are really craving for attention. For what reason though, I don't understand at all.
Correct, I didn't understand your vote. The first two votes were both there to make Darryl post, since they both bery cast around the same time, but your vote was definitely posted with the information that Darryl had got two votes already, so I can't see a good reason for you to cast that vote.
I think townies focus more on things they think are alignment indicative.

Sorian

Banned
Yes.

You are mafia.

I'll have to disagree with you here, though I do seriously wonder about you.

Maybe Ourobolus he seemed disconnected from the thread.

Maybe burbeting he has posted a lot about me without saying anything about my alignment. There's a pattern where he points out something I'm doing and then sort of lets it go by saying he doesn't understand.

I do want burb to defend himself because, while your reasoning seems off to me, he's been slipping on my radar and that could be dangerous. If I may ask though, why bring up Ouro, I agree that he has been disconnected from the thread and he did do something else that I don't like but I want to see if the same thing caught your eye as well.

RetroMG

If I may ask though, why bring up Ouro, I agree that he has been disconnected from the thread and he did do something else that I don't like but I want to see if the same thing caught your eye as well.

Is DR on day phase right now? I stopped following the Archer and DR games a few days into Cthulu.

Also: Sorian and Launchpad play FFXIV? I keep thinking about getting into it, but I don't know anyone who plays.

batsnacks

I'll have to disagree with you here, though I do seriously wonder about you.

I do want burb to defend himself because, while your reasoning seems off to me, he's been slipping on my radar and that could be dangerous. If I may ask though, why bring up Ouro, I agree that he has been disconnected from the thread and he did do something else that I don't like but I want to see if the same thing caught your eye as well.

I don't feel that strongly about my reads. Doesn't feel like there's anything serious going on right now so I'm just throwing stuff out there.

RetroMG

Goddamn it, Ouro runs Archer, not DR. I was going to say Archer, then I thought, "Wait, you've got that turned around."

Sorian

Banned
If you hadn't known I was a mason in ONUW, would you have wondered about me? Think about it before you answer.

This is a hard question to answer. You and Ouro were playing so openly coy at the start that I knew you were both Masons and all of my assumptions were based on that. Whether it was an act or not, all of your incessant questions at the beginning of that game read as distracting town as opposed to distracting scum though. Once you were through the questioning phase was when you and Ouro started hinting at more. So I guess I read you as town from the start there. Why?

I was on a train!

Not really. Went to a friend's place for beer and games.

I'll have you know it's in my rule book to policy lynch for this.

Is DR on day phase right now? I stopped following the Archer and DR games a few days into Cthulu.

Also: Sorian and Launchpad play FFXIV? I keep thinking about getting into it, but I don't know anyone who plays.

All 3 season 3 games are on night phase currently.

And yes, Launch is some low level scrub and I am a god among black mages

I actually didn't know Launch played until today.

RetroMG

I propose that for this game, we instead focus on positivity and Nintendo spirit. #funtells

Shows how many midnight launches you've been to. I got chewed out at the Halo Reach launch because three guys who had been in line behind me for hours noticed me right before we got to the door. (For reference, I'm 6 foot 4, and pretty solidly built.)

So since Kark has never been to a Midnight Launch, I think he could be No Fun.

Burbeting

Banned

So you are saying I shouldn't be focusing on these things just because they aren't completely about your alignment?

The game has been running for less than half a day at this point, so there is so little of information at hand that anything anything says isn't going to be indicative of one player's alignment in my eyes (well unless Mafia comes out and reveals themselves as mafia, like Launch wished for...). Since there is not enough information to make any assumptions about alignments, I note about things that are odd or things that I don't understand. For example, your posts.

Later on this stuff that I don't understand at this point might be important information when trying to deduce player's aligment. For example, after going through more information later on, your odd behaviour so far could very well lead me to thing you are aligned as a scum. At this point I'm not going to assume that though, but it's why I think this information is good to talk about.

Karkador

Banned
In terms of meta reasons (which I'll get out of the way first), I have yet to see one of our GAF mafia games successfully get something valuable out of the Day 1 lynch. It's only ever been a liability for Town.

The argument that we get information and #scumtells from people holds little weight, IMO, because we are at our dumbest on Day 1, and yet we really cannot underestimate the power that NoFun has to talk in secret and coordinate. It's very unlikely that something is going to slip from their end - by default, they dominate the conversation.

batsnacks

So you are saying I shouldn't be focusing on these things just because they aren't completely about your alignment?

The game has been running for less than half a day at this point, so there is so little of information at hand that anything anything says isn't going to be indicative of one player's alignment in my eyes (well unless Mafia comes out and reveals themselves as mafia, like Launch wished for...). Since there is not enough information to make any assumptions about alignments, I note about things that are odd or things that I don't understand. For example, your posts.

Later on this stuff that I don't understand at this point might be important information when trying to deduce player's aligment. For example, after going through more information later on, your odd behaviour so far could very well lead me to thing you are aligned as a scum. At this point I'm not going to assume that though, but it's why I think this information is good to talk about.

Who's mafia though? That's what I'm interested in. We're rarely going to have anything super solid to agree on day 1 so I think it's better to start point fingers sooner than later. Your finger pointing to content ratio is low so I point my finger at you!

Burbeting

Banned
Who's mafia though? That's what I'm interested in. We're rarely going to have anything super solid to agree on day 1 so I think it's better to start point fingers sooner than later. Your finger pointing to content ratio is low so I point my finger at you!

Has everyone else been lot more contributive than me in this regard or are you annoyed that I am pointing things out about you?

Sorian 54
LaunchpadMcQ 38
SalvaPot 26
cabbeh 22
Ourobolus 15
roytheone 15
batsnacks 13
Darryl 9
Burbeting 9
CzarTim 8
Haly 6
Karkador 5
RetroMG 5
TheGoddamn 3
Lone_Prodigy 3
Blargonaut 3
Fireblend 3
Swamped 2
kingkitty 1
nin1000 1
Zatoth 1
El Topo 1
Pau 1
Hyperactivity 1

So as you can see from this post count, what I'm trying to do is piss Kark off.

I had to screw with the schedule of the DR game.

I play intermittently.

This is a hard question to answer. You and Ouro were playing so openly coy at the start that I knew you were both Masons and all of my assumptions were based on that. Whether it was an act or not, all of your incessant questions at the beginning of that game read as distracting town as opposed to distracting scum though. Once you were through the questioning phase was when you and Ouro started hinting at more. So I guess I read you as town from the start there. Why?

And yes, Launch is some low level scrub and I am a god among black mages

I actually didn't know Launch played until today.

That's still pretty much my MO. I try to muddle people's reads, despite the fact that I'm town. I'd rather people not know what role I am regardless of my alignment.

That's funny, I knew you played for some time. I remembered your avatar from the FFXIV OT.

Sorian

Banned
What's wrong with my Salva vote?

And I was joking about the train thing. It was the metro. :)

I know the train was a joke :p Idk, Salva vote felt weird. It had only been a little conversation but it felt odd for you to just throw a vote out based on RNG at that juncture.

In terms of meta reasons (which I'll get out of the way first), I have yet to see one of our GAF mafia games successfully get something valuable out of the Day 1 lynch. It's only ever been a liability for Town.

The argument that we get information and #scumtells from people holds little weight, IMO, because we are at our dumbest on Day 1, and yet we really cannot underestimate the power that NoFun has to talk in secret and coordinate. It's very unlikely that something is going to slip from their end - by default, they dominate the conversation.

In the interest of not breaking any rules, I'll have to disagree with your first point completely but not speak more on that. In your second point, information comes from dead bodies unfortunately and discussion that stemmed from those dead bodies. Without a dead body on day 1, all we get is one (probably) from night 1 and it usually doesn't mean as much when we didn't see the collaboration that led to that dead body. Reading a night kill is based on a lot more guesswork than reading a day kill. Am I looking for #scumtells right now? Of course not, everyone acts odd on day 1 because everyone kind of has a reason to hide, it's mafia, trust no one and all that jazz.

He's pointing his finger plenty of times at you though. Which is why I find it funny that you keep trying to get us to find him suspicious instead. Not to say I have a horse in this race because I know nothing about either of you but batsnacks, you sound very reactionary towards Burb whereas you sounded more proactive when you said something about me or Darryl for example.

batsnacks

Has everyone else been lot more contributive than me in this regard or are you annoyed that I am pointing things out about you?

I meant you're contributing a lot and you haven't said anyone is mafia and there are people who have contributed less than you that have said people are mafia. I'm mostly interested in who people say is mafia d1.

Ourobolus

Banned
I just wanted a vote on the table. At this point, I don't know. Salva's posts have been weird to me...I don't know how to explain what I mean though. That said, it's not like we have a ton of info so a hunch is as good as anything considering the game's been on for less than a day.

Top Bottom