• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mafia |OT| When Death is on the Line

• Thread starter Deleted member 231381
  • Start date
Are mafiosi able to communicate via PM any time, or only when they're picking someone to murder at night?

Snatched from the mafia interest topic:

Crab said:
All town players will chat in this thread; outside communication about the game is forbidden unless instructed otherwise. Obviously, I can't enforce this rule so it's largely good faith, but in all honesty it's unlikely to advantage you in any way and may even disadvantage you, so there's reason for you not to do it outside sportsmanship.

Players who are allowed covert communication (mafia, and potentially some town power roles) will be given a secret third-party site to communicate on. This is so a) I can observe their communications in my role as moderator, and b) so that we can share it at the end for some fun. :p

Actions need to be PM'd to me.

Also, I think those (apparently) few who do think it would be best to do a lynch should at least give ideas on who they think are suspicious. Of course, people who want to no lynch can weigh in on this topic as well if they choose.

I'm one of those in the trigger-happy crowd, and I do have some early thoughts, but I need a bit to put those thoughts into words as best as I can.

Kalor

Also, I think those (apparently) few who do think it would be best to do a lynch should at least give ideas on who they think are suspicious. Of course, people who want to no lynch can weigh in on this topic as well if they choose.

I'm one of those in the trigger-happy crowd, and I do have some early thoughts, but I need a bit to put those thoughts into words as best as I can.

I've been between the two crowds but we could vote for an inactive person. We could wait until the weekend and select from a list of whoever hasn't posted from the start.

In terms of anyone being suspicious no-one has really stood out to me so far as we haven't had much to talk about.

Zatoth

I've been between the two crowds but we could vote for an inactive person. We could wait until the weekend and select from a list of whoever hasn't posted from the start.

That sounds like a plan. Not much lost by voting for an inactive player anyway, I guess?

pants

I still say no lynch, but if we're intent on lynching, let it at least be an inactive player then. In the mean time i'll put my vote down.

VOTE: No Lynch

Timeaisis

I'm with you on this one. I have a few ideas a well, but I'm going to wait a little longer before I post them, and also wait for some more people to respond.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
So many shifty figures already... Crab was a most kind hearted fellow, did not deserve this.

When Crab was getting decapitated, Palmer, I was eating a most delicious meal at the Hotel Diner. At least, I think that must have been the same time... who knows the exact time when Crab got decapitated?

Do you know, Palmer?

Unless we have additional information, are we not always more likely to lynch someone innocent anyway? The only problem I see is the same that we will always have, mafiosi working together. We will only be able to uncover those by looking closely at the discussion of lynching (and by getting additional information from other roles). The more voting rounds we have, the easier it might become to uncover similarities in the process (i.e. spotting suspicious behaviour).

Just a reminder that you shouldn't edit your posts in this thread as per the game rules; it's to stop people who happen to all be online around the same time to see edits pre- and post- having an unfair advantage over those who don't. Editing privileges are restricted to me. Thank you! :)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
| Vote Count |

No Lynch: 4 / 14 [Palmer_v1, Amir0x, nin1000, pants]

*note that it says / 14 because 14 votes represent a majority and thus 14 votes for one option would end the day in favour of that option

kingkitty

Pretty much yeah. It's advantage Mafia if you lynch round one, as it means you lose 2 -3 tourists minimum night one plus whatever other functions they can perform.

well, if we lynch nobody, and the night round comes, we'll still probably lose 2-3 or however many depending on the size of the mafia. if they're proactive.

unless the mafia choose to not kill anyone for the first night phase, but honestly why wouldn't they?

we should crack an egg, and see where the yolk falls.

Just a reminder that you shouldn't edit your posts in this thread as per the game rules; it's to stop people who happen to all be online around the same time to see edits pre- and post- having an unfair advantage over those who don't. Editing privileges are restricted to me. Thank you! :)

| Vote Count |

No Lynch: 4 / 14 [Palmer_v1, Amir0x, nin1000, pants]

*note that it says / 14 because 14 votes represent a majority and thus 14 votes for one option would end the day in favour of that option

Yeah, I completely forgot about that while waiting for new people to confirm, won't happen again!

Still not sure about the non-lynch, but leaning towards it. The post about accidentally killing a role-tourist has made it seem like a good idea.

I was going to ask what roles people had but realised that the mafia would then know and they'd become a target so NEVER MIND.

pants

well, if we lynch nobody, and the night round comes, we'll still probably lose 2-3 or however many depending on the size of the mafia. if they're proactive.

unless the mafia choose to not kill anyone for the first night phase, but honestly why wouldn't they?

we should crack an egg, and see where the yolk falls.

No, if we dont lynch we lose 1 - 2 players. The extra I included is for our lynch.

Amir0x

Banned
Edit: Nevermind, I see it now. I'm blind

Alive:

AbsolutBro
Amir0x
Barrylocke
Duress
egruntz
El Topo
Foshy
irfaanator
johnnyquicknives
Kalor
Karkador
kingkitty
Lord of Castamere
Mattyg
nin1000
Palmer_v1
pants
QuantumBro
Rembrandt
RobotNinjaHornets
Timeasis
tomakasatnav
traube
ultron_87
Ward
Xpike
Zippedpinhead

Dead:
currently none

Hmmmmmmm. Such a suspicious bunch... none more than me, naturally!

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
As a second reminder, Amir0x, please no edits! Double posting is perfectly acceptable instead.

Palmer_v1

we don't know how many mafia there are

could be more than 2 players, wouldn't it?

Huh?

Kitty is saying that we stand to lose up to 2 people tonight. 1 will die if/when we lynch them, then the Mafia will kill one more as well, barring any special abilities triggering.

Palmer_v1

Huh?

Kitty is saying that we stand to lose up to 2 people tonight. 1 will die if/when we lynch them, then the Mafia will kill one more as well, barring any special abilities triggering.

Pants, not kitty. This no editing is painful, even though I understand the reasoning.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
You'll get used to it! :p As a side note, apologies if I seem harsh or distant at any point during this game. I obviously can't get involved in play or comment on anything other than purely mechanical issues, so most of my posts will be procedural things or having a wee scold when someone breaks a rule. Obviously, I still very much am having fun observing all of you and hope that you all have fun yourselves! After all, my key aim is to make sure that a) you like this enough to do another one, and b) it acts as a good enough lesson that one of you can run the next one instead and I get to play. :p

kingkitty

Pants, not kitty. This no editing is painful, even though I understand the reasoning.

i assumed one mafia aligned player can kill a tourist.

so if there are two or more mafia, each mafia can individually kill a tourist.

or do the mafia vote together on who to kill? so only one person gets murdered? lol i dunno

El Topo

or do the mafia vote together on who to kill? so only one person gets murdered? lol i dunno

The explanation is a bit weird. From my experience with Werewolf the the wolves decide on a player who subsequently gets killed, not every wolf can kill a different player. I assume it's the same here.

Welcome!

You are a Mafia Goon.

You are aligned with the Mafia.

Your partners are [redacted]; their roles are [redacted]. Each night phase, one of the Mafia-aligned player may kill one of the non-Mafia-aligned players by PMing me with the command KILL: Crab. This action will be associated with the player who sent the PM. You may also communicate with other Mafia-aligned players at the QuickTopic board found here.

You win when Mafia-aligned players outnumber non-Mafia-aligned players.

This implies to me, that the mafia as a whole can only kill one player each night, otherwise (unless we only have two mafiosi) things would be over really quickly.

pants

I have never, ever played a mafia game where each mafia member can kill a player, it's always been the mafia as a unit kills one person + whatever special abilities they have (so if they have the equivalent of an assassin, they kill two)

pants

Also I have never ever played a game with one mafioso ever, assume there is a pocket of like 6 of them

kingkitty

I have never, ever played a mafia game where each mafia member can kill a player, it's always been the mafia as a unit kills one person + whatever special abilities they have (so if they have the equivalent of an assassin, they kill two)

i have but usually there was only like 2 mafia.

if mafia can only kill one person, then it's a different matter, and I would learn closer to no lynch.

johnnyquicknives is toast in that case lol

BRB, grabbing the fluffiest rainbow avatar I can find :/

It says in the guide that the mafia as a group can choose one player to kill. I'm presuming due to the size of the group, and the fact that the roles list is being kept secret, that we can expect some surprises. Probably from the mafia, tourists and wildcards.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
To clarify, it is correct that barring other modifiers the mafia as a group share a single kill. This is true of all mafia games in general, rather than being specific to this game. A game which allows each "mafia" member a kill per night in a way that is not tied to a particular role would not strictly speaking be a mafia game.

Palmer_v1

You'll get used to it! :p As a side note, apologies if I seem harsh or distant at any point during this game. I obviously can't get involved in play or comment on anything other than purely mechanical issues, so most of my posts will be procedural things or having a wee scold when someone breaks a rule. Obviously, I still very much am having fun observing all of you and hope that you all have fun yourselves! After all, my key aim is to make sure that a) you like this enough to do another one, and b) it acts as a good enough lesson that one of you can run the next one instead and I get to play. :p

We have a guy that likes to be moderator but will want to play every now and then. We played for about 3-4 hours one night, and someone else took over for one last game so he could play a round before we all took off.

Fucking werewolves killed him first night. Such dicks.

pants

i have but usually there was only like 2 mafia.

if mafia can only kill one person, then it's a different matter, and I would learn closer to no lynch.

you see thats what I'm saying. I'm going under the assumption that this is a fairly standard roll of a mafia game so it's likely we're just helping the mafia along by killing someone. (The 2 mafia game you played probably has an assassin + mafia vote btw)

BRB, grabbing the fluffiest rainbow avatar I can find :/

It says in the guide that the mafia as a group can choose one player to kill. I'm presuming due to the size of the group, and the fact that the roles list is being kept secret, that we can expect some surprises. Probably from the mafia, tourists and wildcards.
lol changing your avatar would be suspicious!

I figure at best mafia kills two tonight, at worst they have 2 assassins and there of us are toast.

And I kind of agree that we should blast through the first Day period quickly, at least after the night we should have something more to go on.
I'd guess even in a best case scenario theres only about a 25% chance of us randomly lynching a mafioso, and with those odds the risk of losing a tourist that could potentially help out doesn't seem worth it.

pants

Three*

Sorry guys, my spelling isnt the best :( I guess this is a good time to install a spell checker or type slower or something :(

On that note, I'm off for the evening, cheers :)

Foshy

Seems like you guys are also fine with no lynch, in that case I'm putting my vote down too now.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
| Vote Count |

No Lynch: 6 / 14 [Palmer_v1, Amir0x, nin1000, pants, johnnyquicknives, Foshy]

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
| Vote Count |

No Lynch: 9 / 14 [Palmer_v1, Amir0x, nin1000, pants, johnnyquicknives, Foshy, irfaanator, traube, kingkitty]

I agree with the thinking that a lynch today would more than likely benefit the mafia. So I will vote

VOTE: NO LYNCH

My thoughts on it are that it is more than likely that most, if not all, of the mafia know who the other mafioso are. They probably do not have 14 mafia people, but they would be more than likely to swing suspicion away from themselves.

And you never know when there might be some suicidal person who wants us to kill him/her...

Since we're this close to no lynching, could I at least ask that you guys hold off on reaching 14 (we're at 10 so far) at least until I get the time to say my thoughts on who I would lynch/find suspicious? I believe Timeasis also had similar thoughts as well, and again, anyone can weigh in if they do too. If it comes to a no lynch, I can accept that, but I'd rather the day not end without everyone airing out any thoughts they have.

Ward

The best way to protect the villagers is to vote no lynch, but I don't to end the first day too soon as more time means more posts. More posts are the only way to get an idea about people.

Ahasverus

Sooo guys how do you hide your weapons without a long coat it looks very suspicious in summertime and....

*reads op*

.. Oh, carry on guys. You read nothing.

Foshy

Since we're this close to no lynching, could I at least ask that you guys hold off on reaching 14 (we're at 10 so far) at least until I get the time to say my thoughts on who I would lynch/find suspicious? I believe Timeasis also had similar thoughts as well, and again, anyone can weigh in if they do too. If it comes to a no lynch, I can accept that, but I'd rather the day not end without everyone airing out any thoughts they have.

If anyone has anything to add, sure! It's not like we're rushing to nl, just not much to do on the first day.

If it helps to get some more time (and if this is a valid command lol):

UNVOTE: NO LYNCH

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
| Vote Count |

No Lynch: 10 / 14 [Palmer_v1, Amir0x, nin1000, pants, johnnyquicknives, irfaanator, traube, kingkitty, Zippedpinhead, RobotNinjaHornets]

are we allowed to sit down here in the bar discussing things during the night phase or do we all need to lock ourselves away in our rooms for the 2days/until someone is mafia'd?

Timeaisis

I'll throw out my thoughts here as well. If I mention your name as suspicious, don't feel offended, it's just observation.

A few people have drawn my suspicion, as follows. Obviously this is basically all baseless accusations this point:
Kinda suspicious, but likely just me being paranoid
- Palmer_v1: Very active. Seems very agreeable with the masses. Possibly just trying to be extra careful on Day 1 as a mafia, or just trying to avoid being lynched as a townie. Agreed with no-lynch after being swayed from Foshy.

- Foshy: Originally, didn't seem suspicious, until he went and unvoted. Possibly in cahoots with Palmer making a fake dialogue between townies.

More suspicious
- nin1000: Originally for a lynching, then switched to no-lynching to expedite the game.
I for my part would love to see some lynching.

For!
Will join you guys in speeding things up, as we don't have any information right now.

Active as the No Lynch votes got closer to majority. Now seems to be
promoting no-lynch to get the first day finished quickly.
This post just rubs me the wrong way in general:
Keep the votes coming guys would love to see this game pick up some speed. :)

Being agreeable is an important aspect of the game, of course, but I'm always suspicious of those that go with the flow too much.

That being said, I don't want to blindly lynch anyone either. I would like to hear others thoughts first before we decide anything, though.

Top Bottom