• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mafia |OT| When Death is on the Line

• Thread starter Deleted member 231381
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
are we allowed to sit down here in the bar discussing things during the night phase or do we all need to lock ourselves away in our rooms for the 2days/until someone is mafia'd?

Nobody can post in the game thread during the night; the flavour explanation being you've all gone off to sleep.

nin1000

Banned
I just wanted the game to pick up some slack. As I was impatiently waiting it to start. I do agree that it seems fishy that I changed my decision so quickly. 1 hour to go and I will post my thoughts on this day aswell.

El Topo

Might as well accept that we're not going to lynch anyone for now. Don't know if our situation will be better after this night, but we'll see.
VOTE: NO LYNCH

Timeaisis

I just wanted the game to pick up some slack. As I was impatiently waiting it to start. I do agree that it seems fishy that I changed my decision so quickly. 1 hour to go and I will post my thoughts on this day aswell.

Haha well at least you accept that it seems fishy.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
| Vote Count |

No Lynch: 11 / 14 [Palmer_v1, Amir0x, nin1000, pants, johnnyquicknives, irfaanator, traube, kingkitty, Zippedpinhead, RobotNinjaHornets, El Topo]

Palmer_v1

Things about Palmer_v1

Alternatively, I'm just new to this form of the game, and hashing things out to better understand the nuances.

Besides, I was the first official No Lynch vote, which doesn't seem likely for Mafia to do.

My inclination is that the mafiosi would wait, hoping they can pile on if we pick a non-mafiosi to lynch on Day 1.

Thus, my personal suspicions would trend towards those who didn't become active until it was pretty clear we were going No Lynch.

Foshy

Kinda suspicious, but likely just me being paranoid
- Foshy: Originally, didn't seem suspicious, until he went and unvoted. Possibly in cahoots with Palmer making a fake dialogue between townies.

I gave you my reasoning, I unvoted to give everyone more time to express their suspicions because Barry asked for it.

Timeaisis

Alternatively, I'm just new to this form of the game, and hashing things out to better understand the nuances.

Besides, I was the first official No Lynch vote, which doesn't seem likely for Mafia to do.

My inclination is that the mafiosi would wait, hoping they can pile on if we pick a non-mafiosi to lynch on Day 1.

Thus, my personal suspicions would trend towards those who didn't become active until it was pretty clear we were going No Lynch.

The great thing about Mafia is it's impossible to tell who is actually new at the game. You could just be very good! Heh.

But, anyway, you provide some pretty sound reasoning, nonetheless.

Palmer_v1

The great thing about Mafia is it's impossible to tell who is actually new at the game. You could just be very good! Heh.

But, anyway, you provide some pretty sound reasoning, nonetheless.

lol. Guess I could have been playing the long con when I first volunteered and mentioned I had played a lot of werewolf in person, but never IRC/message board style. This feels incredibly weird to me still. I'm actually pretty good an reading faces and stuff when we play in person.

Either way, I appreciated your post, cause the whole point of this is to be a bit social, right? This is where I'd glare accusingly at anyone who had been suspiciously quiet so far.

Timeaisis

lol. Guess I could have been playing the long con when I first volunteered and mentioned I had played a lot of werewolf in person, but never IRC/message board style. This feels incredibly weird to me still. I'm actually pretty good an reading faces and stuff when we play in person.

Either way, I appreciated your post, cause the whole point of this is to be a bit social, right? This is where I'd glare accusingly at anyone who had been suspiciously quiet so far.

Well, yeah, I'm just trying to drum up conversation. The more people respond, the more we have to go on, for or against.

I'm always suspicious of people being: a) too talkative, b) too quiet. I guess I fall into a right now myself. :p

Karkador

Banned
I'm inclining towards "No Lynch", because I would rather have more rounds to figure this thing out, but my thoughts are this:

If we go into the Night without any accusations, any threats, or anybody claiming to be this or that, then whatever kills happen in the Night pretty much tell us nothing about the Mafia. They will probably just pick someone at random, instead of a specific person for some kind of tactical reason that we can then try to deconstruct.

I'm not trying to instigate a fight, I just don't see myself being anymore informed in Day 2 at this rate...other than being informed that we lost someone useful, which is a waste.

So my guess is that if you have a role that gave you any sort of info before we started, maybe consider speaking up now?

Palmer_v1

I'm inclining towards "No Lynch", because I would rather have more rounds to figure this thing out, but my thoughts are this:

If we go into the Night without any accusations, any threats, or anybody claiming to be this or that, then whatever kills happen in the Night pretty much tell us nothing about the Mafia. They will probably just pick someone at random, instead of a specific person for some kind of tactical reason that we can then try to deconstruct.

I'm not trying to instigate a fight, I just don't see myself being anymore informed in Day 2 at this rate...other than being informed that we lost someone useful, which is a waste.

So my guess is that if you have a role that gave you any sort of info before we started, maybe consider speaking up now?

This is where my lack of knowledge about Mafia hurts me. Are there roles that would already have information about other players? I thought tonight(in game terms) is the first time any abilities, active or otherwise, would trigger.

Palmer_v1

I'm headed home suckers. Inactive until tomorrow sometime. My vote returns to No Lynch at that point, regardless of whether Barry got around to posting accusations by then.

Cheers!

Karkador

Banned
This is where my lack of knowledge about Mafia hurts me. Are there roles that would already have information about other players? I thought tonight(in game terms) is the first time any abilities, active or otherwise, would trigger.

I've only ever played Werewolf, but In the games I've played, there is a beginning night phase that's mostly administrative stuff. The wolves identify each other, other special roles identify themselves, and I think someone dies? Not sure about that one (I guess that's why Crab died in the beginning).

However ,I know the Seer role (which I guess is the Cop or the Detective in Mafia) is integral to these games, and usually gets to investigate one person on that first night. For Mafia, I read that there are also other roles that get similar peeks at people's affiliations.

I accuse Karkador of being particularly Karkador-ish. Prove me wrong!

If by "Karkador-ish", you mean, "often overthinks things and is long-winded", there is no chance of proving you wrong. :p

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
I've only ever played Werewolf, but In the games I've played, there is a beginning night phase that's mostly administrative stuff. The wolves identify each other, other special roles identify themselves, and I think someone dies? Not sure about that one (I guess that's why Crab died in the beginning).

However ,I know the Seer role (which I guess is the Cop or the Detective in Mafia) is integral to these games, and usually gets to investigate one person on that first night. For Mafia, I read that there are also other roles that get similar peeks at people's affiliations.

Mafia games can come in two varieties: Day-start and Night-start. In Night-start varieties, the game starts at night, and thus by the time the first day begins, all of the roles with night actions will have already made a move. Equally, someone will be dead by the start of the first day. In Day-start varieties, the game starts at day, and thus no roles which work at night will yet have been used. This also means everyone starts alive (I died for flavour purposes only).

I selected Day-start for this game because I want everyone to have a chance to participate. It would seem very unfair if you signed up early to this, had spent 2 weeks anticipating it, then got killed before you said a word!

Foshy

A very classic role is the cop, who can pick someone at night and then gets to known that person's alignment (village or mafia).

It's very likely we have a cop (or equivalent role) around, but it wouldn't make much sense for them to reveal themselves already when they have no info yet.

There's probably also a doctor who can protect people at night and could cover the cop though.

Foshy

Sorry i'm a bit tired and only read half of your post before replying, you probably already know what I explained. I guess it could still be useful for people who are new at this.

I'm not sure if killing someone is the right move, without some convincing reads, but ending the week this early is surely playing into the Mafia's hand.

How will have more info on day 1 compared to day 2? It seems to me the main difference tomorrow is that we'll be 1 strong player down.

I'm not sure if killing someone is the right move, without some convincing reads, but ending the week this early is surely playing into the Mafia's hand.

How will have more info on day 1 compared to day 2? It seems to me the main difference tomorrow is that we'll be 1 strong player down.
There are villager roles during that can give us hints as to who the members of the mafia are, like cop.

Unless someone wants to announce their role or accuse someone we should just end this round as soon as possible.

MattyG

Banned
Sorry I haven't been contributing, guys. I'll be around more often now, I promise.

As for voting, I think there definitely isn't enough info to make any descisions yet, and I'm not sure how much info we can get by waiting. If there are any roles that could give us useful info, they could speak up, but there's also the risk that they'd be targeted immediately if they do.

I'll hold off on voting no lynch for now though, just in case.

Karkador

Banned
Mafia games can come in two varieties: Day-start and Night-start. In Night-start varieties, the game starts at night, and thus by the time the first day begins, all of the roles with night actions will have already made a move. Equally, someone will be dead by the start of the first day. In Day-start varieties, the game starts at day, and thus no roles which work at night will yet have been used. This also means everyone starts alive (I died for flavour purposes only).

I selected Day-start for this game because I want everyone to have a chance to participate. It would seem very unfair if you signed up early to this, had spent 2 weeks anticipating it, then got killed before you said a word!

Ah, thanks for clearing that up! I didn't know there were two varieties like that.

So I was way off the mark - there probably really is nothing anyone knows right now, in which case, disregard what I said (at least until next round).

VOTE: No Lynch

Amir0x

Banned
Ah, thanks for clearing that up! I didn't know there were two varieties like that.

So I was way off the mark - there probably really is nothing anyone knows right now, in which case, disregard what I said (at least until next round).

VOTE: No Lynch

I know you have shifty eyes. Like this:

shiftyeyesf5b23.jpg

Ok, that took awhile to get together (or rather took time to actually look at the posts and finish collecting my thoughts) but here's what I'm looking at. I'd like to point out two characters, and a couple of general observations for now.

Nin1000 was Timeasis's most suspicious person in his thoughts post, but personally, I'm not really suspicious of him right now. Nin1000 has two things that appeal to me at this stage of the game, being gungho, and being consistent. The entire time his main focus has been on the game accelerating forward (likely to the juicy bits), and while his flipflop on no vote to vote was kinda weird, he keeps it all with his MO of wanting to move the game into the more interesting days. While I'm not the biggest fan of blazing ahead blindly, I do note his singlemindedness to make him look ok in my eyes.

Foshy was another person that I noted. His posts kind of came off as vaguely helpful to me. He was unsure as to what could be done early on, and slowly leaned to not lynching when it seemed like that was how the town was leaning. He ultimately voted in the middle of the pack for the no lynch. In addition, he was the first to unvote when I made my plea to hold off on voting so soon. This last bit is minor, but I was already somewhat suspicious of him before hand, and this made it stick out even more. To me this all feels potentially scummy. It seems like a player that is trying to stay in good graces so they don't come off as suspicious, something that mafia needs more than anyone else (as others aren't suspicious and generally have an easier time proving how not suspicious they are)

Another thing worth noting, starting with johnnyquicknives and going forward for the next 7 minutes, there's 5 votes for No Lynch. Generally, Mafia like to vote along with the pack when they aren't voting with specific goals in mind, so that they don't seem suspicious. I feel like there's at least 1 mafia member within this dogpile, possibly more.

Finally, I'll point out that Duress, ultron_87, and Xpike have still not checked in the pregame or in day 1. I would definitely love for those beloved vacationers to catch up on the conversation and lay down whatever thoughts they may have on it all.

That's all from me. I was really hoping to hear what nin1000's thoughts were since they promised having some, but it seems like that may not happen tonight at least.

Amir0x

Banned
Interesting thoughts Barry. We should file that away in the "reference again in the future" cabinet. We'll need people like you, Barrylocke - you're a real go-getter.

Unless we randomly hit someone, or kill an inactive, I don't see any other way to proceed really. Hopefully our power roles, assuming we have any, can give us some direction on day 2.

VOTE: NO LYNCH

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
| Vote Count |

No Lynch: 13 / 14 [Amir0x, nin1000, pants, johnnyquicknives, irfaanator, traube, kingkitty, Zippedpinhead, RobotNinjaHornets, El Topo, Karkador, Lord of Castamere, QuantumBro]

Foshy

So I'm one of the main suspects now? I just wanted to help :<

I can understand your reasoning. There's not much going on so far so I guess the people who talk the most are automatically suspicious. It's just that I'm kinda used to being talkative in Mafia, and when playing with a completely new group of people this can be interpreted in different ways. I've been playing a lot of EpicMafia with friends these days too, so being a bit in the element right now I wanted to give people some general direction by suggesting not to lynch on the first day. But I don't want to appear too pushy, that's why I took back my vote to give you guys some more time to reflect.

Also, I agree with Barry's thoughts on nin1000, and yeah the big wave of votes in that short time period seems interesting too. Could just be a coincidence, of course, but it's a valid observation.
Funnily enough I also was one voted there so I'm not really doing myself any favors here.

Still holding off on my final no lynch vote in case nin wants to present his observations too.

nin1000

Banned
ok i just woke up after a long day of work. Sorry for the bad formatting.

I can all understand you guys if i seem suspicious, as i am a really talkative person and i just want to get to know every player here.

Barrylocke - i can understand your thoughts on holding on to your vote as i agree with you that we needed more information about everyone in order to have something for or against.

Timeaisis - I love how you check every comment i made , it just made me realize how crutial every comment is to this game ! Like i said before , i did not think much of my comments but as you pointed them out, it made me much more cautious about what i say.
Foshy - made his reasons clear, so i dont hink he is suspicous right now.

Amir0x - accused Karkador of being particularly Karkador-ish but i dont hink he meant it in all seriousness. Or did he mean it ? He has taken a place in my interest page.

As for every other player in this game right now... You all seem suspicious to me
uress, ultron_87, Xpike and Duress

Especially
pants
irfaanator
traube
RobotNinjaHornets
kindkitty
QuantumBro
as they all voted no Lynch and dissapeared from the game then on or just voted No Lynch without a proper reason.

Would love to hear you guys say something before we start the night.

Zatoth

@nin1000: I went to bed. So I just made the vote assuming it was already decided we go with no lynch on the first day.

Zatoth

Looked at the activity of the users here:

Xpike and ultron_87 have 0 posts here.

egruntz and tomakasatnav only confirmed that they are playing, but nothing else.

Should we give them more time before we finalize our vote?

I had things to do :c

My reasoning for going no lynch was on the last page, we're going on practically nothing at this point. The chances of us killing a tourist are higher than the chances of killing a mafia guy, and unless we did get lucky it's only going to disadvantage us, especially if we lynch someone with a role.

I hadn't thought of the waiting for everyone to say something 'cause I'd forgotten how many people were actually playing and forgot to check who was posting. I'm too used to playing these games in a place where the other people are physically there, it makes keeping track of these things way easier >_>

pants

As for every other player in this game right now... You all seem suspicious to me

Especially
pants
irfaanator
traube
RobotNinjaHornets
kindkitty
QuantumBro
as they all voted no Lynch and dissapeared from the game then on or just voted No Lynch without a proper reason.

Why would I continue talking after having numerously expressed why I want no lynch and it's happening now? I'm not going to sit in this thread and chat for chat's sake. I'm going to add something when I think I'm being helpful or have a viewpoint I want to air.

Palmer_v1

| Vote Count |

No Lynch: 13 / 14 [Palmer_v1, Amir0x, nin1000, pants, johnnyquicknives, irfaanator, traube, kingkitty, Zippedpinhead, RobotNinjaHornets, El Topo, Karkador, Lord of Castamere, QuantumBro]

You must have missed it Crab, but I prevously Unvoted my No Lynch call. No worries though, cause I'm rereversing it.

Vote: No Lynch

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
You must have missed it Crab, but I prevously Unvoted my No Lynch call. No worries though, cause I'm rereversing it.

Vote: No Lynch

Apologies, that was my fault entirely. I had the correct vote count (13/14), but forgot to remove your name. As a result of this, can I confirm you definitely wish to cast your vote? It will go 14/14 and end this day; I'm not sure if you thought you were making it 13/14 rather than 14/14.

Palmer_v1

Apologies, that was my fault entirely. I had the correct vote count (13/14), but forgot to remove your name. As a result of this, can I confirm you definitely wish to cast your vote? It will go 14/14 and end this day; I'm not sure if you thought you were making it 13/14 rather than 14/14.

I confirm. No Lynch. Let's see who dies!

ok i just woke up after a long day of work. Sorry for the bad formatting.

I can all understand you guys if i seem suspicious, as i am a really talkative person and i just want to get to know every player here.

Barrylocke - i can understand your thoughts on holding on to your vote as i agree with you that we needed more information about everyone in order to have something for or against.

Timeaisis - I love how you check every comment i made , it just made me realize how crutial every comment is to this game ! Like i said before , i did not think much of my comments but as you pointed them out, it made me much more cautious about what i say.
Foshy - made his reasons clear, so i dont hink he is suspicous right now.

Amir0x - accused Karkador of being particularly Karkador-ish but i dont hink he meant it in all seriousness. Or did he mean it ? He has taken a place in my interest page.

Especially
pants
irfaanator
traube
RobotNinjaHornets
kindkitty
QuantumBro

I'm still reading the thread and looking at what people are saying, but for me the first day is always the hardest. I'm going to have to reread the thread after the first kill to start making some initial judgements

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
| Vote Count |

No Lynch: 14 / 14 [Amir0x, nin1000, pants, johnnyquicknives, irfaanator, traube, kingkitty, Zippedpinhead, RobotNinjaHornets, El Topo, Karkador, Lord of Castamere, QuantumBro, Palmer_v1]

Day 1 has ended with a result of No Lynch.

Night 1 has begun. Night 1 will end on Sunday 11th January at approximately 15:00 GMT.

Please do not post in this thread until Night 1 has finished.

Top Bottom