• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mafia: Trilogy announced

scalman

mafia 2 remaster as they call on other hands will be as they call HD remastered
Remastered in stunning HD detail, live the life of a gangster during the Golden-era of organized crime. War hero Vito Scaletta becomes entangled with the mob in hopes of paying his father’s debts. Alongside his buddy Joe, Vito works to prove himself, climbing the family ladder with crimes of larger reward, status and consequence.
R1EbcU1I

atz1C5jj

7MxMOEmb

jyghKsie

still not bad i guess. i forgot how original mafia 2 looked so cant tell how its enhanced here other then resolution.

M5fKV6u6

Last edited:
I kinda hate to be this way (not really), but is it confirmed that the Playboys will still be in Mafia 2? I know in this day and age that could be seen as problematic or some shit. But god damn if they weren't the BEST collectibles ever in a game. Loved seeing those missle tits of yore.
Why would they be cut they were in mafia 3,and they never got rid of them.

Fbh

Wow, I'm just finding out about this.
Read "Mafia Trilogy" some days ago and wrongly assumed it would just be some 1080p port of Mafia 1 and 2 bundled with Mafia II.

A proper remake for Mafia 1 and good HD remaster for Mafia 2 is amazing!

Last edited:
Reactions: Isa

Vick

Man i was hyped AF to replay Mafia II enhanced but apparently all resources went on the first one (not complaining) because this just looks like a butchered version of the original, like too many awful remasters. What the actual fuck have they done?

4Id0yxz.png

Plus going by the leaked trailer other than screwing the atmosphere (which was the best thing in the game for me) like cheap remasters always do, no cloth physics even compared to past gen consoles... what a shame.

Hope it’s just work in progress footage but at this point original PC version definitive version by far for me.

Man i was hyped AF to replay Mafia II enhanced but apparently all resources went on the first one (not complaining) because this just looks like a butchered version of the original, like too many awful remasters. What the actual fuck have they done?

4Id0yxz.png

Plus going by the leaked trailer other than screwing the atmosphere (which was the best thing in the game for me) like cheap remasters always do, no cloth physics even compared to past gen consoles... what a shame.

Hope it’s just work in progress footage but at this point original PC version definitive version by far for me.

Yeah I'm not holding my breath for the HD remasters. Part 1 is the one I'm looking forward to the most.

However, I'd love it if they restore the cut content for Mafia 2 and actually finish the damn story. I refuse to believe that was the actual ending. A cliffhanger just as the story was starting to cook. Bullshit.

VulcanRaven

4Id0yxz.png
Wasn't that cutscene pre-rendered in the original game? Many cutscenes were. I wonder why they would look different? Maybe they are replacing them with real time cutscenes. That was done in Batman Arkham remasters.

Last edited:

AntsaK2

Neo Member
What stores on PC are these going to launch? All I see mentioned is Microsoft Store but I can't find any store pages of any of these titles.

Wasn't that cutscene pre-rendered in the original game? Many cutscenes were. I wonder why they would look different? Maybe they are replacing them with real time cutscenes. That was done in Batman Arkham remasters.
Playing Mafia 2 right now. Cutscenes look like shit but the comparison shots only seem filtered to hell and back.

J3nga

I've played original Mafia when it launched back in 2002 and that game impressed me and my brothers. So I had high hopes for the sequel, but I was disappointed by it. Narrative isn't nearly as good, gameplay did not get rid of unnecessary mechanics, Vito wasn't as interesting character as Tommy was to me, him and Joe are pretty much just some dumb wannabe gangsters, huge stepdown in writing and narrative in my opinion. And if I'm not mistaken 10 years ago when it came out it wasn't received that well. Out of trilogy I really care about the remake the rest can be skipped for all I care.

Last edited:

Vick

Part 1 is the one I'm looking forward to the most.
Mee too, but damn, they could have waited for next gen for II and provide a really definitive version, which in the end for me could be even just the PC version at max with some texture redone and LOD eradicated.

However, I'd love it if they restore the cut content for Mafia 2 and actually finish the damn story.
I wouldn’t exaclty hold my breath on that.

Arkahm Collection in my opinion is overall awful, i’d replay the originals on PC every single time despite the tons of upgrades just like in 99% of the cases. Why couldn’t “Remasters” be literally what their name suggest? Just upgrade technical aspects of the game without reinventing yourself as an artist and mess with every single thing actual artists hired to do that and that alone made. Only remaster i’ve played i have no issue whatsoever with is TLOU, outside of 30fps modes playing ten times worse than the original on PS3 but, since i hate the so called “better shadows” in them which in reality are bugged af, 1800P 60fps really is what could be called a definitive version of a game.

For cutscenes AI learning upscales are a thing now, if a single guy in a room could make old cutscenes look almost perfect why couldn’t a team of devs do better? But as usual they messed with the look of everything so those would look out of place and here we are.

Kenpachii

I've played original Mafia when it launched back in 2002 and that game impressed me and my brothers. So I had high hopes for the sequel, but I was disappointed by it. Narrative isn't nearly as good, gameplay did not get rid of unnecessary mechanics, Vito wasn't as interesting character as Tommy was to me, him and Joe are pretty much just some dumb wannabe gangsters, huge stepdown in writing and narrative in my opinion. And if I'm not mistaken 10 years ago when it came out it wasn't received that well. Out of trilogy I really care about the remake the rest can be skipped for all I care.

Same here played the original when it came out and it was a masterpiece, also visually a absolute stunning game. Sadly second and specially 3rd one where straight up trash and didn't continou its legacy.

I can't wait on this remake, as the old game aged poorly this will be played by me for sure.

Senua

Gold Member
i'm wondering if it'll be hard as fuck like the original, probably not but hey..theres no way it'll have this gem of realism tho

if you reload your gun half way through a clip you lose the whole clip..ah the good ol days

Phase

I'm not going to get my hopes up, but I'm always interested in this era. Hopefully there is a lot of freedom in the gameplay.

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
Never played any of the Mafia games except for a tiny bit of 3. Are they all basically just GTA-like? Or do they differ significantly in any way?

w92kp

Neo Member
A remake of the first game is something I can get excited about. But a re-release of the second? I was trying to remember why I dropped it all those years ago. After checking out a full game walkthrough on youtube, it was pretty obvious why. The story seems to lack focus. Lots of characters, but none of them are memorable or likeable. It doesn't even start to get interesting until at least half way through.

Never played any of the Mafia games except for a tiny bit of 3. Are they all basically just GTA-like? Or do they differ significantly in any way?
Not GTA at all. 1 and 2 (haven't really gotten far in 3) are 100% linear games with full focus on the main story line. The city is mostly there to give you a sense of place and time passing by having you drive to missions and home.

Completely different. Mafia is more serious and has a story that could rival any of the classic gangster films.

It's not meant to be a silly, hooker killing, car stealing simulator like GTA, but if you're looking for an engrossing, immersive experience, it'll be right up your alley.

VulcanRaven

Mafia: Trilogy is listed on Australian PS Store:

That price is around 60 US dollars. Mafia II: Definitive Edition is listed there too and it looks like it can be already bought. The price is around $30.

Last edited:
Mafia: Trilogy is listed on Australian PS Store:

That price is around 60 US dollars. Mafia II: Definitive Edition is listed there too and it looks like it can be already bought. The price is around $30.

Interesting. The leak said Mafia 2 will be available tomorrow, right? Or next week? I lost track

edit

just saw your reply right above

Last edited:
Top Bottom