• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mafia/Werewolf Recruitment Thread | Go on the Internet and Tell Lies.

ultron87

Anybody know any good board games for 6 players? We're looking for new ones to play at lunch at work since people are getting tired of Werewolf/ONUW/Coup with 6 (just too little variation and nobody changes their strategies enough).
A good recent one for 6 and a lunch length of time is Codenames. Could also check out Skull and Cockroach Poker if you want more games about lies.

Sorian

Banned
6 is an awkward number for fast games.

I'd say Codewords for a different style altogether. Maybe Cash n Guns or Good Cop Bad Cop if you want a variation on your current theme.

Also, NO, to the two people above me. Munchkin isn't really a fast game, and Catan is Catan.

lol was going to say Catan would not work as a quick lunch break game.

ultron87

I mean you can totally knock out a game of Catan in 45 minutes if everyone knows what they are doing, but it probably isn't the best for that.

ultron87

I think so? We played it a ton in college. That was with 3 players though. So obviously more is more time. And yeah, talking base game.

Droplet

Anybody know any good board games for 6 players? We're looking for new ones to play at lunch at work since people are getting tired of Werewolf/ONUW/Coup with 6 (just too little variation and nobody changes their strategies enough).

AVALON

not really

Bang, maybe?

edit: apparently Secret Hitler

Coppanuva

AVALON

not really

Bang, maybe?

edit: apparently Secret Hitler

Both of those are fun (Bang is a bit long in our group though, we haven't managed to crank a game out in under an hour ever, I blame Emporio and people always picking Claus the Saint which is a policy kill to me). Secret Hitler we've gotten bored of with 6 people, also I keep winning at it which is getting boring. Fun game though and thanks for the suggestions!

A good recent one for 6 and a lunch length of time is Codenames. Could also check out Skull and Cockroach Poker if you want more games about lies.

Ohh will look into those. Codenames sounds fun and logical, which is big to us.

6 is an awkward number for fast games.

I'd say Codewords for a different style altogether. Maybe Cash n Guns or Good Cop Bad Cop if you want a variation on your current theme.

Also, NO, to the two people above me. Munchkin isn't really a fast game, and Catan is Catan.
Yeah, it definitely is hard to find a game for 6. 4? No problem. 8? Sure thing. 6? Weird. I'll look into those. Is Codewords a different game than Codenames that ultron suggested?

Munchkin? Might be a little long for a lunch break game though.

Ohh man I love munchkin.

CATAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAN

I've somehow never played it, but I think one of the guys on my team really into board games hates it so I doubt I'll gain traction on it :(

Sorian

Banned
Both of those are fun (Bang is a bit long in our group though, we haven't managed to crank a game out in under an hour ever, I blame Emporio and people always picking Claus the Saint which is a policy kill to me). Secret Hitler we've gotten bored of with 6 people, also I keep winning at it which is getting boring. Fun game though and thanks for the suggestions!

Stealth brag

Palmer_v1

Ohh will look into those. Codenames sounds fun and logical, which is big to us.

Yeah, it definitely is hard to find a game for 6. 4? No problem. 8? Sure thing. 6? Weird. I'll look into those. Is Codewords a different game than Codenames that ultron suggested?

Ohh man I love munchkin.

I've somehow never played it, but I think one of the guys on my team really into board games hates it so I doubt I'll gain traction on it :(

Yeah, I meant Codenames. Same game. It's very good light party game in general, but I definitely recommend it for your situation in particular. It sets up really fast, and you should be able to get several games in.

Also, check out Bang! The Dice Game. Everyone I know that has played it prefers it over normal Bang!.

ultron87

Fluxx is pretty random and doesn't have a ton of strategy. Which is fine, but isn't to everyone's taste, especially if it is a pretty established game group. So I'd definitely suggest just grabbing one set to try it out before going deep on a bunch of themed ones. A quicker version of random nonsense card game that I really like is We Didn't Playtest This At All. For a more strategic variant on the five minute card game Love Letter and it's various editions is good too. That is only four people but it takes five minutes so whateve.

RetroMG

Fucking sold.

Star Fluxx is also moslty a mix of Star Trek and Star Wars with a few other franchises (Dr. Who, Lost in Space) mixed in for good measure.

Fluxx is pretty random and doesn't have a ton of strategy. Which is fine, but isn't to everyone's taste, especially if it is a pretty established game group. So I'd definitely suggest just grabbing one set to try it out before going deep on a bunch of themed ones.

This is kind of true, it is pretty random, but particularly in the later versions there is some strategy. That's why I recommended the versions that I did. Star Fluxx has the most strategy, IMO.

Sawneeks

Banned
King of Tokyo maybe. Been I while since I played it, but I think it dos not take too long.

That's a good suggestion, but I'd just go straight for the sequel and grab King of NY.

Both really solid choices.

I also recommend Battle Wizards: Duel at Mt. Skullfyre and it's sequel, Rumble at Castle Tentakill. It's a card game that revolves around players picking 3 cards to make a 'spell' and kill their opponents. It's pretty simple on its' surface but once you add in different card types, 'combo' abilities, and a couple of other systems it's got a good strategy element to it as well. It's a ton of fun and offers a good amount of strategy but it's getting really hard to find at a good price anywhere. If you can find it cheap I highly recommend giving it a shot.

Edit: Nobody mentioned it yet, but Cards Against Humanity is a good one-off game to play. It wouldn't be a replacement as the main go-to game to play but it's good fun every now and again. It would also depend on your work environment though, it's not very family friendly.

Sorian

Banned

I also recommend Battle Wizards: Duel at Mt. Skullfyre and it's sequel, Rumble at Castle Tentakill. It's a card game that revolves around players picking 3 cards to make a 'spell' and kill their opponents. It's pretty simple on its' surface but once you add in different card types, 'combo' abilities, and a couple of other systems it's got a good strategy element to it as well. It's a ton of fun and offers a good amount of strategy but it's getting really hard to find at a good price anywhere. If you can find it cheap I highly recommend giving it a shot.

Edit: Nobody mentioned it yet, but Cards Against Humanity is a good one-off game to play. It wouldn't be a replacement as the main go-to game to play but it's good fun every now and again. It would also depend on your work environment though, it's not very family friendly.

That shark lifts, damn.

Sawneeks

Banned
That shark lifts, damn.

tumblr_inline_nmmok323GU1s5je7q_500.jpg

Looks like something from spongebob to be honest.

It gives me Adventure Time vibes, especially the player cards

Karkador

Banned

I also recommend Battle Wizards: Duel at Mt. Skullfyre and it's sequel, Rumble at Castle Tentakill. It's a card game that revolves around players picking 3 cards to make a 'spell' and kill their opponents. It's pretty simple on its' surface but once you add in different card types, 'combo' abilities, and a couple of other systems it's got a good strategy element to it as well. It's a ton of fun and offers a good amount of strategy but it's getting really hard to find at a good price anywhere. If you can find it cheap I highly recommend giving it a shot

Also, if they're not crazy about Bang, I'm gonna say that these games aren't really too different from that. They're both about drawing and playing cards against each other, and kind of overstay their welcome (especially for a lunch break game).

Sawneeks

Banned
Also, if they're not crazy about Bang, I'm gonna say that these games aren't really too different from that. They're both about drawing and playing cards against each other, and kind of overstay their welcome (especially for a lunch break game).

Definitely. Battle Wizards is one of those games you can pull out every once and a while to play. Playing it daily will wear out its' welcome pretty quickly.

Kawl_USC

Not sure if it's just me, but outer gafia is literally unusable on my phone right now due to it continuously redirecting me to a page that opens up some crap app in the App Store

Sawneeks

Banned
hunh seems like the artist has had minor work on steven universe and adventure time.

That explains it. Figured the artist either worked on the show or just happens to have a super similar style. o:

I really need to check out Steven Universe too. I keep hearing amazing things about it.

RetroMG

Could anyone who is being affected by the Redirect issue on Outer Gafia please PM me the following information:

1. City/State/Province/Country you are located in.
2. What sort of device you are having the problem on.
3. What browser you are using.
4. Any other information you can give me about the ad.

There's a thread open on the boards.net support forum, and it's not just us being affected, so they're going to work on it.

Gorlak

Banned
Out of Crab, nin, Ouro, retro and yeeny ~ who wants to take a look at my plans for a midseason game? The less people see it, the more can play it. If anyone wants to co-mod at some remote period (when the game is ready) please yell loud here.

roytheone

Out of Crab, nin, Ouro, retro and yeeny ~ who wants to take a look at my plans for a midseason game? The less people see it, the more can play it. If anyone wants to co-mod at some remote period (when the game is ready) please yell loud here.

Let Burb look at it, he will tear your game down while you thought it was decently balanced. And then you get sad :(

RetroMG

Just for reference, Crab, Ouro, Nin and I already have access to the board, I believe.

nin1000

Banned
Sorry everyone ! my performance in the last game was atrocious, i think it was due to coming from one game to the other and not having a pause in between. Even worse that i thought i could still play even though after the 1st day phase it was clear i would not be able to play like normal, due to some time restrictions.

Well i will learn from the mistake and i cannot wait to watch over y'all while you play those great looking Season 5 games :)

roytheone

Sorry everyone ! my performance in the last game was atrocious, i think it was due to coming from one game to the other and not having a pause in between. Even worse that i thought i could still play even though after the 1st day phase it was clear i would not be able to play like normal, due to some time restrictions.

Well i will learn from the mistake and i cannot wait to watch over y'all while you play those great looking Season 5 games :)

Well, I for one didn't see any difference in your performance this game compared to the others!
Because you always play atrociously

Joking, Joking......or am I????

Top Bottom