• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering |OT11| Amonkhet - Have you ever had decks with a Pharaoh?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lucario

That's a really neat idea for a tournament! I'd definitely play Druids; Seton is such a fun commander.

List of banned tribes is a little weird, though. Allies/Eldrazi/Clerics(???) are pretty trash compared to stuff like Treefolk and Knights.

We're starting a Tribal Commander Challenge at our store.

"We're running Tribal Commander."

"Tribes are banned."

OK.

I mean, seriously? Wizards, Clerics, and Allies somehow make it over the ban bar on that one? Did someone literally put this list together by choosing tribes with the most cards printed, regardless of how good they actually are?

Just run Demons or Golems and smoke these scrubs.

DrArchon

Seems like a fun idea. Can't decide if I'd prefer RW Giants or UG Snakes.

Good idea to ban some of the super popular tribes. There are so many cool creature types in Magic, and I'd hate to do something like that and just have it be full of nothing but Goblins, Elves, and Zombies.

"We're running Tribal Commander."

"Tribes are banned."

OK.

I mean, seriously? Wizards, Clerics, and Allies somehow make it over the ban bar on that one? Did someone literally put this list together by choosing tribes with the most cards printed, regardless of how good they actually are?

Just run Demons or Golems and smoke these scrubs.
Wizards are OP because of Azami. Even moreso with paradox engine.

Merfolk though makes no sense.

Wizards are OP because of Azami. Even moreso with paradox engine.

Merfolk though makes no sense.

I mean, keep in mind by their rules you still need to include 27 creatures of the given type, so just because that type has a really kick-ass Commander or tribal support card doesn't mean it's super playable.

Azami's great, but maybe not so much in a deck where 27 of the cards you're getting with all that card draw are moar weezards.

I think they just took the 25ish (I didn't count) most popular tribes on EDHRec and just banned them.

That's a shitty way to do it, to be honest, because they didn't really think enough about how it interacts with their other rules. The creature count rule alone makes most of the tribes they banned completely fair deck archetypes.

Most popular "tribal" EDH decks aren't actually going to be running that many creatures, and wouldn't be very good decks if they were.

Ashodin

"You have not paid your toll," Bontu rasped.

"Here." I pounded a fist against my chest. "Come take it."

Best fuckin line in the whole story. I was like "
yTG0R.gif
" when I read it.

On MTGO Ban list:

C-7eEctXgAAulVK.jpg

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"

qfnyWVU.jpg

I've claimed Knights as my tribe.

I like the rules on this one, as it bans a lot of the OP tribal cards to make it more friendly. Also a lot of the OP tribes are banned.

Just fill your deck with Changelings.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician

qfnyWVU.jpg

I've claimed Knights as my tribe.

I like the rules on this one, as it bans a lot of the OP tribal cards to make it more friendly. Also a lot of the OP tribes are banned.

I like this a lot. Commander as a format always appeals to me because of the janky kitchen table feel it has, this seems like it encourages that

I mean, keep in mind by their rules you still need to include 27 creatures of the given type, so just because that type has a really kick-ass Commander or tribal support card doesn't mean it's super playable.

Azami's great, but maybe not so much in a deck where 27 of the cards you're getting with all that card draw are moar weezards.
There's actually a bunch of good wizards especially when all of them read "Draw a card." You can also just play mind over matter and go through your deck until you draw Lab Maniac which is also a wizard.

Dragons? What's even the point anymore.

Dragons are a pretty sick tribal even running 27 of them because of Scion of the Ur-Dragon.

On the other hand, I'm really curious to see the 27 Elemental deck you build that's worth banning. Animar's a great commander and all, but if you're having to play 27 Elementals from just three colors I don't think that's a deck worth banning anymore.

The same with Eldrazi. Eldrazi Ramp is cool, sure, but when you're actually running 22 super mediocre Eldrazi cluttering up the path to your Titan bombs, and having to do it all in raw colorless because you have an Eldrazi Commander, it suddenly gets a lot less intimidating.

Violet_0

Banned
I think the tribes ban list is a good idea, everyone gets to play the more fun and obscure tribes and still stand a chance and not just lol Elves and Dragons

jph139

I like the restrictions on that list actually. Makes you think outside the box.

I think I'd go Fungus tribal. Or maybe Shapeshifter tribal and just steal your opponent's strategy! Hmm, that's actually an interesting deck idea in general...

I like the restrictions on that list actually. Makes you think outside the box.

My complaint is just looking at the rules holistically. They're all fine in a vacuum, but when you put them together, well... "Your Commander must be a member of the Tribe" + "You must run 27 creatures from the tribe" + the standard EDH rules ("You may only play cards in your Commander's color identity") means that maybe four or five of those tribes would need to be banned, and one or two of them are probably hilariously unplayable.

Like, it feels like someone came up with the tournament rules and someone else came up with the tribes banlist, and the two of them never communicated at all.

Firemind

I actually want to find out if there are even 27 barbarians. I always wanted to build a barbarian tribal land destruction edh deck.

Edit: gatherer says 31 aw yiss

Vehicles are "friends" of pilots ayyyy
vehicles aren't creatures in the first place.

27 dwarves means she's gonna hit fairly consistently.

Unrelated anyone ever considered Mizzix Eggs? Cost of sorceries often bothered me when I was messing around with mono red and access to blue adds a lot of support.

Firemind

27, technically, since you're stuck in mono-red due to Commander.
Oh yeah you're right. There are non mono red barbarians. So that means I have to play every single one of them... Challenge accepted!

Edit: wait a second Possessed Barbarian and Pardic Collaborator have black mana in its text so barbarians aren't even a eligible tribe orz

Edit2: one of them is an unglued card lol

Oona or Wydwen Faeries would be the deck to play if you wanted to go cutthroat in this tournament

Also they messed up by allowing Engineered Plague

Double edit: oh man, Lin Sivvi is allowed here. Damn son

Oh yeah you're right. There are non mono red barbarians. So that means I have to play every single one of them... Challenge accepted!

Yeah, including the Unglued one (Bad Ass) it looks like.

Like I said, I think maybe they weren't really on top of just how ridiculously restrictive all their rules actually are when you stack them on top of each other. I mean, there's probably ~35 "true" colorless Eldrazi that are playable with an Eldrazi Commander, for example?

Ashodin

Everything that has the creature type rider is banned. It's to allow the creature types to breathe and not be OP as well.

The fact that Soldiers is banned in that list while Warriors are not is baffling to me.

I mean, we've got an Abzan Warrior Commander+all the goodies KTK block gave Warriors. Get a few anthems out and with a bloodchin fanatic you just drain your opponents to death.

He was one of the two guys who helped Eren fix his gear.

Later on he has philisophical musings on the differences between Soldiers and Warriors. In the Abridged version, he constantly says "Berthold" instead of "told."

I'm just gonna assume they talked way too long to get to that point.
that's why I dropped it

The distinction should be quite easy to make. Rank and file - soldiers, uncoordinated fighters - warriors.

I still resent tarkir for not distinguishing between soldiers and warriors. Mardu is a standing army, abzan is an organized society neither of which are warriors.

The Abzan Houses mirror the Persians/Ottomans in their cultures/Customs, so they definitely fit as Soldiers. Mardu is more sketchy as a fit for warriors.

I think (and this is just me spitballing) If I could change one from that block it would be to rework the flavor contrasts between KTK and DTK. Like have a megacycle of Uncommons in dual colors in Khans that has a shared class idea between the wedges(Warriors for WB, Shamans for GU, Efreets for UR(I know they moved in with the Temur in DTK, but hypothetical),Mantis/Insects for WR, and Spirits for GB etc) and no overlap between the allies. Then you'd reprint just the allies in DTK to show the effect of the dragons existing.

Granted, KTK is still a fucking amazing set in every aspect.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom