• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering |OT11| Amonkhet - Have you ever had decks with a Pharaoh?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Firemind

I figured it was either going to be Gideon or Nissa if it was anyone, just seeing as they got brand new cards and Liliana's work isn't done.

I don't expect anyone to stay dead though. Whoever dies will come back at some point, I'm sure of it.
RIP Venser

Santiako

I'm still firmly on the opinion that no member of the Gatewatch will die any time soon (the origins 5). They've spent a lot of time and money to set them up as the face of the game, they are not going to waste that.

Ashodin

Samut is likely the one who will spark btw. Maybe she'll even 'walk to Ixalan or something.

I also find it highly likely the plane that Vraska walked to from Ravnica that's hidden or non-existent is Ixalan. Some kind of strange magic probably hides/bounds planeswalkers to the plane.

Which means you eventually have to take up a side (Rivals of Ixalan) or something.

I'm still betting Rivals is the set where we get the Anti-gatewatch. They're not working for bolas per se, but they just don't want to do what the Gatewatch does and they look out for themselves. Suicide Squad, basically.

DrArchon

Samut is likely the one who will spark btw. Maybe she'll even 'walk to Ixalan or something.

What if we're all wrong about this and Djeru is the one that sparks? He's heading straight towards Bolas to try and get himself killed, so maybe that's the catalyst for him becoming a walker? Bolas needs a lackey other than Tezzeret, right?

OnPoint

I also find it highly likely the plane that Vraska walked to from Ravnica that's hidden or non-existent is Ixalan. Some kind of strange magic probably hides/bounds planeswalkers to the plane.

Which means you eventually have to take up a side (Rivals of Ixalan) or something.

I'm still betting Rivals is the set where we get the Anti-gatewatch. They're not working for bolas per se, but they just don't want to do what the Gatewatch does and they look out for themselves. Suicide Squad, basically.

We've all said that Samut is the likely sparker since the card was was revealed. No one will be surprised by this.

I hope they don't do a Suicide Squad style anti-Gatewatch. That would be so lame.

Ashodin

We've all said that Samut is the likely sparker since the card was was revealed. No one will be surprised by this.

I hope they don't do a Suicide Squad style anti-Gatewatch. That would be so lame.

But that's what's popular right now!!! RIGHT!?

Just like Vampires with Twilight and Innistrad, Greek Gods and Theros with Clash of the Ti-hahahaha I can't do this anymore

What if we're all wrong about this and Djeru is the one that sparks? He's heading straight towards Bolas to try and get himself killed, so maybe that's the catalyst for him becoming a walker? Bolas needs a lackey other than Tezzeret, right?

It would be the more interesting spark, yes. Djeru sparks, believes he has been redeemed by the God-Pharaoh, and is now the Gatewatch's problem, Samut extremely sorry that she pushed her friend.

OnPoint

But that's what's popular right now!!! RIGHT!?

Just like Vampires with Twilight and Innistrad, Greek Gods and Theros with Clash of the Ti-hahahaha I can't do this anymore

It would be the more interesting spark, yes. Djeru sparks, believes he has been redeemed by the God-Pharaoh, and is now the Gatewatch's problem, Samut extremely sorry that she pushed her friend.

At least the vamps on Innistrad felt like good, classic vampires, despite Twilight. I don't want some edgelord group of bad guys masquerading around as a group.

Djeru would be the more interesting one narratively speaking. Especially since it would give Bolas exactly what he wanted.

DrArchon

Also gives us the opportunity to see another antagonistic White planeswalker, which seem to be few and far between. Granted we just had Nahiri, but she was really only white because her race demanded it. Djeru would actually be white in terms of personality.

Yeef

They put Samut in Minecraft. It's going to be her.

I do think we'll see a Djeru card in Hour of Devastation though. Just as a legendary creature.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"

Liliana is already in the Superfriends proper and the Infinite Consortium already exists (as a Legion of Doom analogue)

OnPoint

Also gives us the opportunity to see another antagonistic White planeswalker, which seem to be few and far between. Granted we just had Nahiri, but she was really only white because her race demanded it. Djeru would actually be white in terms of personality.
I am not getting into a debate about Nahiri. But...

Why don't you think Nahiri has white in her?

The Consortium already exists

Does it though? That's from a LONG time ago, much longer than many other things that have been erased or retconned. I wouldn't be surprised if it's basically just a forgotten element at this point.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
It makes me laugh when people whine that white is not evil enough when white is evil all of the time. Avacyn is white, Nahiri is white, Dovin Baan is white, Heliod is white, Oketra is white. The Azorius in general are kind of dicks.

Lawful Evil isn't a novel character alignment.

DrArchon

I am not getting into a debate about Nahiri. But...

Why don't you think Nahiri has white in her?

She just seemed to be more about vengeance than anything else. I could've been fine with her being mono-red honestly. I don't have a problem with her being white-red, I just feel like more of that has to do with all Kor being white and her first planeswalker card being mono-white.

I suppose vengeance is pretty white though now that I think about it, but imo it's on a lower tier of "whiteness" than stuff like faithfulness, obsession with order, the law, etc.

OnPoint

She just seemed to be more about vengeance than anything else. I could've been fine with her being mono-red honestly. I don't have a problem with her being white-red, I just feel like more of that has to do with all Kor being white and her first planeswalker card being mono-white.

I suppose vengeance is pretty white though now that I think about it, but imo it's on a lower tier of "whiteness" than stuff like faithfulness, obsession with order, the law, etc.

He whole thing was about doing what she thought was right. It was fueled by a sense of justice. She's absolutely got white in her. We could debate about whether she was misguided in that belief, but it's a very white/red motivation.

Ashodin

Nahiri is the best planeswalker by far anyway

I mean check this shit out mang

$_1.JPG

3d2aa4ceb1e6b0698c5f374ac527f8a9.jpg

Lithomancy is cool af, I would totally be into that if I were a walker

Yes I would use it to make all the equipments

DrArchon

He whole thing was about doing what she thought was right. It was fueled by a sense of justice. She's absolutely got white in her. We could debate about whether she was misguided in that belief, but it's a very white/red motivation.

Yes, you're right. It's a very "eye for an eye" kind of justice, but it's still justice in her head, so white makes sense.

Violet_0

Banned

white isn't really ever lawful evil. The lawful evil archtype is an underworld crime lord or a cruel and selfish aristocrat that nonetheless strictly adher to their code of honor. It sort of works for Orzhov, but only because of the church theme

It makes me laugh when people whine that white is not evil enough when white is evil all of the time. Avacyn is white, Nahiri is white, Dovin Baan is white, Heliod is white, Oketra is white. The Azorius in general are kind of dicks.

this, black might be comically evil but as long as I remember white has been the circumstantially evil colour.
A lot of what he did was about benefiting 'the greater good' of the plane. He's also white.
Not really his actions are about preserving vampires more than anything. Who even on Innistrad are unnatural.

BLCKATK

I just saw that Nahiri artwork and was like "Wait, they made Stoneforge Mystic into a Planeswalker?" I proceeded to look into it.. and boy I learned a lot.

Magic has a crazy story.

OnPoint

Not really his actions are about preserving vampires more than anything. Who even on Innistrad are unnatural.

Sure. White actions for black reasons. That's why he's has hybrid identity. Whatever the reason may be (and in this instance it's black), he's creating and protecting a social order for the good of the plane.

Doing what you think is right, and being propelled by a sense of justice, are more red than white because they're governed by emotion. White cares more about order and law than it does about doing what's "right." White only likes morality because it usually creates social order. Nahiri could easily have been mono-red and it would have fit the character and her motivations.

OnPoint

Doing what you think is right, and being propelled by a sense of justice, are more red than white because they're governed by emotion. White cares more about order and law than it does about doing what's "right." White only likes morality because it usually creates social order. Nahiri could easily have been mono-red and it would have fit the character and her motivations.

Whatever you say. I'm not going to argue this any further. She's white red on the card, and plenty of other people see her as white red, I don't know why people constantly need to run this line. But I'm done playing with it.

Yeef

but he's still white when he's not in innistrad
He's black-white on Tarkir because he's specifically there to find Ugin and stop the Eldrazi. On Zendikar he was mono-black where, as far as I can tell, he didn't do anything other than observe.

It's not just vampires, but the multiverse as a whole. But even with protecting vampires, it'd still make him white-aligned. He's a pariah amongst the Innistrad vampires. A mono-black character wouldn't go out of the way to help them like he did.

Neither Nahiri nor Sorin should have had white in their most recent incarnations if we're going by motivations and characterisation alone.

EDIT: Just so we're clear, Nahiri's whole motivation in SOI is "fuck Sorin" and Sorin's motivation is "fuck Nahiri". They're both completely consumed by this.

Angry Grimace

this, black might be comically evil but as long as I remember white has been the circumstantially evil colour.

There's lots of evil characters in every color other than green, but for some reason people harp on white.

red13th

Card I want the most to see print right now:
1 G/U G/U
Enchantment
Whenever a creature you control deals combat damage to a player draw a card

I want a hybrid mana set!

Yeef

Neither Nahiri nor Sorin should have had white in their most recent incarnations if we're going by motivations and characterisation alone.

EDIT: Just so we're clear, Nahiri's whole motivation in SOI is "fuck Sorin" and Sorin's motivation is "fuck Nahiri". They're both completely consumed by this.
Actually, at first Sorin's motivation is to figure out what's going on with Avacyn and to fix her. When he's forced to do away with her is when his motivations change from saving Innistrad to abandoning it and seeking revenge on Nahiri.

It's not just vampires, but the multiverse as a whole. But even with protecting vampires, it'd still make him white-aligned. He's a pariah amongst the Innistrad vampires. A mono-black character wouldn't go out of the way to help them like he did.
He made Innistrad a bubble and hid there for centuries, he doesn't give a shit about the multiverse and a mono-black character did go out of his way to help them like he did.

Sure. White actions for black reasons. That's why he's has hybrid identity. Whatever the reason may be (and in this instance it's black), he's creating and protecting a social order for the good of the plane.
What does for the good of the plane mean? Innistrad would still exist if vampires wiped out the humans and subsequently starved. Humans would probably outlive vampires anyways, crafty pests they are.

Actually, at first Sorin's motivation is to figure out what's going on with Avacyn and to fix her. When he's forced to do away with her is when his motivations change from saving Innistrad to abandoning it and seeking revenge on Nahiri.

At the point he's depicted in Sorin, Grim Nemesis he's definitely on the "fuck Nahiri" part of that.

OnPoint

Innistrad would still exist if vampires wiped out the humans and subsequently starved. Humans would probably outlive vampires anyways, crafty pests they are.

Sigh. Sorry, I guess I should have been more specific in so far as by "the plane" I meant the people in it, not the actual plane itself.

That said, I didn't realize that instating, protecting and proliferating a social order for the good of his kind while subsequently benefiting the whole of the human race was a mono-black thing. How strange, last I checked that would be pretty white-black.

Also, LOL at everyone who thinks the white should be gone from him just because he wanted revenge on Nahiri for 1/2 of a block. I think there's a severe lack of understanding on how character profiles and color alignment works within them.

Murder

So whatchu guys playing for Gameday--assuming you're goin?

Gonna be rocking mono-black Zombies. Not entirely sure how the local meta is as this is my first standard deck so it'll be an interesting time. Will make adjustments afterwards as W/B seems to be the dominant build atm on MTGO.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom