• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering |OT11| Amonkhet - Have you ever had decks with a Pharaoh?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sigh. Sorry, I guess I should have been more specific in so far as by "the plane" I meant the people in it, not the actual plane itself.

That said, I didn't realize that instating, protecting and proliferating a social order for the good of his kind while subsequently benefiting the whole of the human race was a mono-black thing. How strange, last I checked that would be pretty white-black.

Ixidor wasn't white either just because he created a white angel in Akroma, who subsequently founded a church. I did not know where I was going with this but I just realized they copied the story of Innistrad from Onslaught. Heck there's even the uncanny semblance between Nahiri and Avacyn and Ixidor shaping Akroma after his dead wife.

The intent behind actions matter and Sorin does not care for humans on Innistrad more than a farmer cares for their cattle, which I guess is quite a bit. If you look at it from another perspective it's pretty cruel, he gave them just enough power to fend for themselves while being slaughtered when he had the power to end it in either direction.

Ashodin

So whatchu guys playing for Gameday--assuming you're goin?

Gonna be rocking mono-black Zombies. Not entirely sure how the local meta is as this is my first standard deck so it'll be an interesting time. Will make adjustments afterwards as W/B seems to be the dominant build atm on MTGO.

This time I will have GameDay. I am taking my RW Exert deck that took down the FNM last weekend.

OnPoint

Ixidor wasn't white either just because he created a white angel in Akroma, who subsequently founded a church. I did not know where I was going with this but I just realized they copied the story of Innistrad from Onslaught. Heck there's even the uncanny semblance between Nahiri and Avacyn and Ixidor shaping Akroma after his dead wife.

The intent behind actions matter and Sorin does not care for humans on Innistrad more than a farmer cares for their cattle, which I guess is quite a bit. If you look at it from another perspective it's pretty cruel, he gave them just enough power to fend for themselves while being slaughtered when he had the power to end it in either direction.

What are you even talking about? I didn't say anything about Avacyn and her being a white angel. I don't care about Ixidor. What they did 15 years ago with the color pie and character motivations should not weigh in on what they're doing now, as they've admitted many times they didn't understand it as well back then and/or things have changed.

His intent is black. This is where we agree. Self-preservation, for him and his kind.

His actions and how he found a solution is incredibly white.

Let me try this: A mono-black solution would have been to herd up all the humans and cage them, allowing vampires to feed on them from imprisonment. This way he is keeping his kind and ONLY his kind in a good position.

Instead he opted for something a bit more peaceful and manageable for both parties. He literally crafted an order and society in which both races could flourish, even if by accident. And at the price of his stature and position in the vampire world. He literally sacrificed his station to save his kind.

He is a white/black character.

Yeef

So whatchu guys playing for Gameday--assuming you're goin?

Gonna be rocking mono-black Zombies. Not entirely sure how the local meta is as this is my first standard deck so it'll be an interesting time. Will make adjustments afterwards as W/B seems to be the dominant build atm on MTGO.
I'll probably play Temur Aetherworks one day and Jank Haven the other (Jeskai Control w/ Drake Haven).

noquarter

So picked up one of the Ultimate Guard Arkhive boxes and really am impressed with it. It holds six of the cheaper Ultra Pro 80 card boxes (the kind you can buy at Wal Mart) or five of them and the Pro box, or four and the top loading Ultimate Guard 80 boxes. Nice to have a sturdy case for my deck boxes I can throw in the bag and take with me, especially since I've been looking for something like this for the past couple years.

Haven't tried the Ultimate Guard sleeves yet, but picked up some of those as well.

Wulfric

Nationals (formely known as World Magic Cup qualifiers) locations and dates are now up!

USA: 10/14 in Columbus, Ohio.
(need 500 planeswalker points this year to compete)

England: 9/16 in Derby, Derbyshire
(idk the requirements)

I made the list this year (thanks to multiple GPs and SCG Opens), but 7 hours by car is out of the question. I'm not that good of a player. I dunno, maybe if they get John Avon to attend or something, then I'd go.

Yeef

A bunch of our regulars are qualified and a few are close enough that they can probably qualify before the deadline. I doubt many (if any) of them want to travel to Ohio, but maybe if enough do, we can make a thing of it.

Yeef

I don't even know what those are. How do I find/get pw points?
Every time you play in event you get planeswalker points. For casual events you get a flat participation score; for regular events, you get the participation points, plus whatever match points you earn. http://www.wizards.com/Magic/PlaneswalkerPoints/Information#EarningPoints

If you go to planeswalkerpoints.com and put in your DCI number, you can find out how many points you have. You need at least 500 yearly points by the end of May 28th to qualify.

traveler

Not Wario
Every time you play in event you get planeswalker points. For casual events you get a flat participation score; for regular events, you get the participation points, plus whatever match points you earn. http://www.wizards.com/Magic/PlaneswalkerPoints/Information#EarningPoints

If you go to planeswalkerpoints.com and put in your DCI number, you can find out how many points you have. You need at least 500 yearly points by the end of May 28th to qualify.

Thanks!

My points are pretty low. I pretty much never play outside of MTGO tourneys and those don't seem to be worth anything? I do compete in a few PPTQs online a week plus the RPTQ and some dailys/leagues.

Nationals (formely known as World Magic Cup qualifiers) locations and dates are now up!

USA: 10/14 in Columbus, Ohio.
(need 500 planeswalker points this year to compete)

England: 9/16 in Derby, Derbyshire
(idk the requirements)

I made the list this year (thanks to multiple GPs and SCG Opens), but 7 hours by car is out of the question. I'm not that good of a player. I dunno, maybe if they get John Avon to attend or something, then I'd go.
Oh nice I can attend by public transportation even and I needed just 300 points to qualify. Sometimes living in tiny countries has its boons.

Firemind

So if I did the math correctly, I only need to win 10 times in GP Amsterdam! (64 participation points + 10*3*8=304)

(Or for every match win less, go 3-0 in a side event.)

Tunoku

Vogel, do you know anything about our venue? It says Bridgecentrum but I feel like it's pretty tiny for Austrian Nationals. Or maybe there aren't that many qualified folks anyway.

EDIT: Join the dark side and slam some Ulamogs all weekend and you'll get your qualification.

Nah, all I got from google and wizards is that Corner is hosting it and a pic of a tiny room. I'm just in it for the Nexus, I have the old one already.

Can you even still qualify if you get points now?

Firemind

Nah, all I got from google and wizards is that Corner is hosting it and a pic of a tiny room. I'm just in it for the Nexus, I have the old one already.

Can you even still qualify if you get points now?
The only information I could find is
Players in the Planeswalker Points 2017 Yearly Award Points Season that have accrued the minimum amount of points for that country. The number of points required for each country can be found in Appendix C of the Premier Event Invitation Policy
No mention of cutoff date.

What are you even talking about? I didn't say anything about Avacyn and her being a white angel. I don't care about Ixidor. What they did 15 years ago with the color pie and character motivations should not weigh in on what they're doing now, as they've admitted many times they didn't understand it as well back then and/or things have changed.

His intent is black. This is where we agree. Self-preservation, for him and his kind.

His actions and how he found a solution is incredibly white.

Let me try this: A mono-black solution would have been to herd up all the humans and cage them, allowing vampires to feed on them from imprisonment. This way he is keeping his kind and ONLY his kind in a good position.

Instead he opted for something a bit more peaceful and manageable for both parties. He literally crafted an order and society in which both races could flourish, even if by accident. And at the price of his stature and position in the vampire world. He literally sacrificed his station to save his kind.

He is a white/black character.

I clearly said I didn't know where I was going with the Akroma line.

Another way to interpret his actions is that he doesn't trust his fellow vampires and has to forcefully compel them to coexistence, which is entirely black. Coincidentally he forged a white angel in the process, who w/o his input formed a church subsequently.

We could also see that he still had his position in SOI, he's just a traitor to some.

Yeef

He's at the Helvault. The only time he's at the Helvault is when he's fighting Nahiri.
He fights Nahiri at Markov Manor.

He had fought Nahiri at the Helvault in the past, just after he'd made it (and Avacyn), but Grim Nemesis has the Helvault already destroyed.

He fights Nahiri at Markov Manor.

He had fought Nahiri at the Helvault in the past, just after he'd made it (and Avacyn), but Grim Nemesis has the Helvault already destroyed.

Y'know what, you're right. For some reason I thought their final confrontation had taken them there. Would have been fitting.
Still reckon Black/Red Sorin would have fit better. :p

OnPoint

I clearly said I didn't know where I was going with the Akroma line.

Another way to interpret his actions is that he doesn't trust his fellow vampires and has to forcefully compel them to coexistence, which is entirely black. Coincidentally he forged a white angel in the process, who w/o his input formed a church subsequently.

We could also see that he still had his position in SOI, he's just a traitor to some.

I agree that what you're saying has black in it. But it is not entirely black. He creates a protective and just force for the good of an entire world at great cost to him both physically and personally. He sacrifices both self and station for the good of society. Creating Avacyn was not a coincidence, it was very much a purposeful thing.

Please remember, it wasn't just about protecting humans and vampires. Avacyn and Helivault were there to protect the entire plane itself from the Eldrazi. Again, his motivation is two-fold. 1. He selfishly didn't want his home plane to be devoured by the Eldrazi menace. 2. He was trying to protect the very world he came from and its inhabitants. One is black. One is white. They are both in play.

I hate arguing that things here are, in fact, black and white, but it couldn't be any more clear to me. You're just ignoring the parts that make his motivations and actions white.

Guys, stop. Can't we move into better things like stoneforge unbans?

I'm sure that's next.

It varies a ton from store to store here.

hard to gauge since you'll face anything from slightly upgraded planeswalker deck to Tier 1 list that just won the pro tour.

Fair enough, I'm not a particularly competitive person but I'd rather not get steamrolled. :p

This is the deck I'm planning on taking.

2 x Thalia, Heretic Cathar
1 x Kari Zev, Skyship Raider
1 x Hazoret the Fervent
4 x Glory-Bound Initiate
4 x Devoted Crop-Mate
1 x Hanweir Garrison
4 x Glorybringer
1 x Nahiri, the Harbinger
1 x Chandra, Torch of Defiance
1 x Chandra, Flamecaller
1 x Fiery Temper
2 x Deem Worthy
1 x Incendiary Flow
2 x Tormenting Voice
2 x Collective Effort
1 x Insult // Injury
1 x Hanweir Battlements
1 x Inspiring Vantage
4 x Stone Quarry
4 x Always Watching
4 x Trial of Zeal
2 x Cartouche of Zeal
8 x Plains
7 x Mountain

If I'm not playing 4 copies of a card, I don't own any more copies.

EDIT: Just to be clear, I'm casual as fuck. :D

ultron87

Playing a casual deck at FNM is definitely fine. At the average store you'll have some mix of people playing the latest tournament archetypes and people playing their own brews. The natural result of swiss pairings is that you'll end up playing people with decks of similar power level to yours in the later rounds. Just don't expect to 5-0 crush the tournament or whatever and you should be able to have a fine time.

Tunoku

Pulled the trigger and ordered pretty much all the other cards I needed for Hapatra. I'm still missing Blowfly Infestation and some other random stuff that I'm buying from my LGS. The deck cost me around 55€ so far, shipping included.

Violet_0

Banned
Fair enough, I'm not a particularly competitive person but I'd rather not get steamrolled. :p

This is the deck I'm planning on taking.
EDIT: Just to be clear, I'm casual as fuck. :D
drop the discard theme unless you run a madness or emerge deck. The Trial and Cartouche are too slow for your deck, maybe a few collective effort, declaration in stone or some red removal instead. Deem Worthy is just good in draft. Flamecaller is too expensive for an aggro deck, consider building a humans deck with Thalia's Lieutenant. It's not going to be a tier 1 deck but you should be able to score some wins. Maybe 2+ Glorybringer to top the curve. You can order most cards for the deck not called Ally of Zendikar online for relatively little cash

DrArchon

Pulled the trigger and ordered pretty much all the other cards I needed for Hapatra. I'm still missing Blowfly Infestation and some other random stuff that I'm buying from my LGS. The deck cost me around 55€ so far, shipping included.

That's actually not terrible for an EDH deck. I'm also waffling on making a new deck because of the cost (that and I have too many ideas in my head to pull the trigger on one). Shipping's always a pain in the ass.

DrArchon

I just realized that I need like a million tokens for this deck. Welp. Maybe I can get them in bulk at the Grand Prix.

Just get coins or scraps of paper. That's what I did for my Ghave deck with a million saprolings. Getting specific tokens is such a damn hassle. I guess if you can find them in bulk for cheap enough that'd be best, but I would never spend a ton of money on tokens just because WotC makes it impossible to get them at reasonable prices.

Tunoku

I can order them for 5 cents a piece, but if I want to get a bunch the shipping cost goes through the roof. I guess I could be cute and draw shitty ones in paint and print 'em out.

DrArchon

I can order them for 5 cents a piece, but if I want to get a bunch the shipping cost goes through the roof. I guess I could be cute and draw shitty ones in paint and print 'em out.

A friend of mine in college had a whole mess of custom double sided tokens with random clip-art and pop culture references. It was great to see him drop a Lingering Souls and pull out two Ghost Pokemon for it. Or make insect tokens and they just had characters from Antz and A Bugs Life on them.

Probably took a ton of work, but they looked great.

Firemind

Just use a few token cards and dice to signify tapped/untapped/summoning sickness.

I think Caterpie looks cute as saprolings.

Tunoku

Yeah, I should probably get a bunch of these instead:

ekans__56_82__team_ro0bsnd.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom