• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering |OT11| Amonkhet - Have you ever had decks with a Pharaoh?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Firemind

Why? She is a planeswalker with hundreds of years of experience in black magic. The demons are just random creatures at the end of the day. They aren't immortal. She can only beat them with the chainveil which will probably backfire in hour of devastation.
sorin is about the same age and he has been taking l's his entire life

Is it insane to cut wheel of fortune? On the one side it discards which this deck wants but on the other it's a draw seven for opponents which this deck doesn't want at all.

Alright 1 more cut for Tibalt
//Artifacts
1 Anvil of Bogardan
1 Basilisk Collar
1 Crucible of Worlds
1 Ensnaring Bridge
1 Expedition Map
1 Library of Leng
1 Lightning Greaves
1 Mana Crypt
1 Rakdos Signet
1 Sensei's Divining Top
1 Smokestack
1 Sol Ring
1 Sword of Feast and Famine
1 Talisman of Indulgence
1 Vedalken Orrery
1 Wheel of Torture
1 Whispersilk Cloak

//Enchantments
1 Bitterblossom
1 Blood Moon
1 Bloodchief Ascension
1 Bottomless Pit
1 Break Through the Line
1 Leyline of the Void
1 Liliana's Caress
1 Megrim
1 Necrogen Mists
1 No Mercy
1 Phyrexian Arena
1 Quest for the Nihil Stone
1 Shrieking Affliction
1 Storm World
1 Stranglehold
1 Waste Not

//Instants
1 Chaos Warp
1 Dark Ritual
1 Lightning Bolt
1 Vampiric Tutor

//Sorceries
1 Black Sun's Zenith
1 Burning Inquiry
1 Cabal Therapy
1 Crack the Earth
1 Damnation
1 Demonic Tutor
1 Dreadbore
1 Faithless Looting
1 Innocent Blood
1 Pox
1 Recoup
1 Smallpox
1 Subterranean Tremors
1 Syphon Mind
1 Yawgmoth's Will

//Planeswalkers
1 Liliana of the Veil

//Creatures
1 Anger
1 Dread Wanderer
1 Dualcaster Mage
1 Erebos, God of the Dead
1 Filth
1 Magus of the Wheel
1 Magus of the Will
1 Mogis, God of Slaughter
1 Reassembling Skeleton
1 Sire of Insanity
1 Solemn Simulacrum

//Sideboard
SB: 1 Neheb, the Worthy #!Commander

Firemind

obviously it's amazing in nekusar, but rarely can you capitalize and draw 6+ cards because edh is just too inconsistent. if you're playing mono red, there are better options. if not, just about any other colour barring white has better options.

Rafy

So now that we have the full spoiler, how good of a limited format do you think it is?
I am thinking of waiting to get into standard for this one and just draft it a lot. It'll give me the opportunity and will have the spare funds to finish my modern deck.

Also, what are the most modern viable cards so far?

obviously it's amazing in nekusar, but rarely can you capitalize and draw 6+ cards because edh is just too inconsistent. if you're playing mono red, there are better options. if not, just about any other colour barring white has better options.
Memory Jar is literally the only good one among those. Wheel of Fortune is also amazing in eggs builds, it's amazing in Yidris,... Rule of thumb imo is, if you wanna do something unfair and are in red Wheel of Fortune is great.
Also some of us choose to play Boros against our better judgement.

Anyways Tibalt had to go. I put in some more tutors and he really does not work very well with what the deck does.
I like this interaction or better said lack of infraction.
164.jpg
153.jpg
142.jpg

This card is kinda neat, not sure if I should play it over Sword of Fire and Ice

A_Dang

I like this interaction or better said lack of infraction.

Rules question about Tainted Pact: If you hit two cards of the same name, do all the cards stay exiled, or do you then have a final chance to pick one to put to your hand? It looks like each time you exile a card you are taking a chance that you may not get anything.

Does that question make sense?

Rules question about Tainted Pact: If you hit two cards of the same name, do all the cards stay exiled, or do you then have a final chance to pick one to put to your hand? It looks like each time you exile a card you are taking a chance that you may not get anything.

Yeah if you hit duplicates you're sol. It works in highlander either if you're only running a single basic land of each or vary between regular and snow.

T

Transhuman

Unconfirmed Member

If you hit doubles you get nothing. I run this in my Sliver deck that only runs one of each basic. It's bad outside of decks built to accommodate it.

hermit7

Is it insane to cut wheel of fortune? On the one side it discards which this deck wants but on the other it's a draw seven for opponents which this deck doesn't want at all.

Alright 1 more cut for Tibalt

What is your wincon meant to be in this deck?

Ramp seems a bit low, I am assuming you're running cabal coffers and urborg, but crypt ghast and the like should be in there.

Sadistic hypnotist and bitterblossom are good in conjunction with one another.

What about deathcloud? If you want a pox deck death cloud is nearly as good and able to be fine tuned a bit more.

I have a Nath discard (stax) for edh so there are some similarities, that's why I am curious.

Edit: I think bolt is a bit too weak here too, maybe dismember for creature removal is a bit better of a choice.

bigkrev

You have to uninstall the regular client; it doesn't work with both because the system isn't set up to connect to different servers the way something like World of Warcraft is.

Did this, tried to log in.... "Your Account is no longer active. Please make a new account"

I swear this isn't worth the trouble....

What is your wincon meant to be in this deck?

Ramp seems a bit low, I am assuming you're running cabal coffers and urborg, but crypt ghast and the like should be in there.

Sadistic hypnotist and bitterblossom are good in conjunction with one another.

What about deathcloud? If you want a pox deck death cloud is nearly as good and able to be fine tuned a bit more.

I have a Nath discard (stax) for edh so there are some similarities, that's why I am curious.
Damage from discard or being hellbent or both accumulating and hits from Neheb. The idea is for everyone to live off the top of their decks including myself.
Neheb hits for 4 once you're at 1 or less cards in hand.
Cabal Coffers Urborg are in but I'm considering cutting Coffers as it's not a mana producing land unless there's Urborg in play and I'm already on a low land count as is.
There's not a single card in the deck costing more than 4 and I expect to have everyone low on cards in hand quickly including myself. Hopwfully meaning I won't need all that much ramp.
Cabal Coffers only has a slot right now because it would allow me to cast Neheb almost indefinitely.

I should probably play deathcloud.

hermit7

Damage from discard or being hellbent or both accumulating and hits from Neheb. The idea is for everyone to live off the top of their decks including myself.
Neheb hits for 4 once you're at 1 or less cards in hand.
Cabal Coffers Urborg are in but I'm considering cutting Coffers as it's not a mana producing land unless there's Urborg in play and I'm already on a low land count as is.
There's not a single card in the deck costing more than 4 and I expect to have everyone low on cards in hand quickly including myself. Hopwfully meaning I won't need all that much ramp.
Cabal Coffers only has a slot right now because it would allow me to cast Neheb almost indefinitely.

I should probably play deathcloud.

I think then that you want to be getting out ahead of everyone else then, which means that you should have MORE ramp compared to less.

Break through the line only works before you are hell bent also, which isn't bad, but adding another means of unblockability seems more reasonable. Overall though looks fun to play.

Aggro is so hard in edh, if you're hellbent especially because a wipe means you're done. Maybe add in a bit more card draw, and something like whip to pay to draw a bit more. Also necropotence is too god not to include.

I think then that you want to be getting out ahead of everyone else then, which means that you should have MORE ramp compared to less.

Break through the line only works before you are hell bent also, which isn't bad, but adding another means of unblockability seems more reasonable. Overall though looks fun to play.

Aggro is so hard in edh, if you're hellbent especially because a wipe means you're done. Maybe add in a bit more card draw, and something like whip to pay to draw a bit more. Also necropotence is too god not to include.
I am running most of the fast mana I have access and I don't have a mox diamond yet. I don't like mana vault in decks that don't really play many high cost spells and chrome mox, lotus petal and simian spirit guide are probably a bad idea in a deck where I make myself discard cards.

I took out break through the line because it both stops working and is mana intensive. I have filth and whispersilk cloak to get Neheb through as well.

I don't think it's aggro and Negri works against this decks plan and would require me to run way more lifegain.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Did this, tried to log in.... "Your Account is no longer active. Please make a new account"

I swear this isn't worth the trouble....
Message the guy on the beta forum and he'll fix it if it's fixable.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Also, nobody has any clue why Shadow of the Grave's release notes say it works with uncast Madness cards when it straight up does not work that way under the rules.

Poppy

tainted pact seems funny with lab maniac if you play some kind of five color monstrosity with no duplicate lands

the realest singleton

hermit7

I am running most of the fast mana I have access and I don't have a mox diamond yet. I don't like mana vault in decks that don't really play many high cost spells and chrome mox, lotus petal and simian spirit guide are probably a bad idea in a deck where I make myself discard cards.

I took out break through the line because it both stops working and is mana intensive. I have filth and whispersilk cloak to get Neheb through as well.

I don't think it's aggro and Negri works against this decks plan and would require me to run way more lifegain.

Yeah I get your points. I didn't mean Aggro specifically but just that if your primary wincon is beat down then it makes it hard if you're hellbent. That is why I was suggesting fast mana, you can cast it for zero or 1 and it sticks around.

I get the concern about life loss with necro, but it is a good way to break parity with your general. If everyone else is hellbent and you're drawing up to 7 a turn you're going to be able to me much more proactive than your opponents.

Jhriad

The only spell that's ever had an activated ability as part of the spell itself (as opposed to an alternate cost/thing you can do with it like Cycling, Flashback, etc.) is Lightning Storm:

89.jpg

One of my most memorable moments at a GP recently was playing against an Ad Nauseam player that cast Lightning Storm, didn't discard lands, then passed priority. I just sat there for a few seconds waiting for him to realize what he did and finally asked, just to confirm, "You didn't discard any lands?" Guy immediately scooped.

Supast4r

Also, isn't Sorin more powerful than Liliana even with the chain veil? She's shit scared of him regardless.

EDIT: Sorin is much, much older than Liliana.
We know that they had a tussle when Liliana first got to innistrad but we don't know how powerful the chain veil is.

I mean, having sideboard cards for bogles is one thing, but this dude played Blood Moon, Blessed Alliance, Nahiri, Anger of the Gods and Chalice for 1 against me lol

Heh currently experimenting with this as my 4c tower sideboard in the beta
QaDOFHl.png

Going full tempo. Played against a UW control deck and I can't fathom why anyone would want a return of that kinda deck. My opponent played Kefnet and never attacked or blocked with it in 15+ turns.
Yeah I get your points. I didn't mean Aggro specifically but just that if your primary wincon is beat down then it makes it hard if you're hellbent. That is why I was suggesting fast mana, you can cast it for zero or 1 and it sticks around.

I get the concern about life loss with necro, but it is a good way to break parity with your general. If everyone else is hellbent and you're drawing up to 7 a turn you're going to be able to me much more proactive than your opponents.
You're right and necro is indeed supremely powerful. It might just end up wiggling itself into the deck. Issue then is that I constructed the deck to not require a full hand. Most of the removal is sorcery speed for that reason and to use a full grip I would need much more ramp which would mean as you mentioned previously cryptghast and its ilk.

Supast4r

Heh currently experimenting with this as my 4c tower sideboard in the beta
QaDOFHl.png

Going full tempo. Played against a UW control deck and I can't fathom why anyone would want a return of that kinda deck. My opponent played Kefnet and never attacked or blocked with it in 15+ turns.

You're right and necro is indeed supremely powerful. It might just end up wiggling itself into the deck. Issue then is that I constructed the deck to not require a full hand. Most of the removal is sorcery speed for that reason and to use a full grip I would need much more ramp which would mean as you mentioned previously cryptghast and its ilk.
I feel like you want 4 ballista in that list

Poppy

would you say that bogles has an interesting decision tree associated with it or is it mostly just about slamming down enchantments and turning things sideways, not that theres anything wrong with that

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
[QUOTE="God's Beard!";233978679]I mean, having sideboard cards for bogles is one thing, but this dude played Blood Moon, Blessed Alliance, Nahiri, Anger of the Gods and Chalice for 1 against me lol[/QUOTE]
So you faced a R/W Prison deck?

Supast4r

would you say that bogles has an interesting decision tree associated with it or is it mostly just about slamming down enchantments and turning things sideways, not that theres anything wrong with that
The only decision that boggles has is to keep a fetchland up when they are versing Liliana to search for dryad arbor so they don't get hit by an edict. Otherwise the deck is really easy to play. It plays the same in most matchups.

Santiako

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";233978679]I mean, having sideboard cards for bogles is one thing, but this dude played Blood Moon, Blessed Alliance, Nahiri, Anger of the Gods and Chalice for 1 against me lol[/QUOTE]

Those are maindeck cards in RW Prison decks. No one is using sb slots specifically for bogles mang.

Lucario

Signed up for MTGO beta early on Friday - got no email confirmation, ticket was immediately marked to "solved".

Is this normal?

dryad arbor is a bad card

The interesting decision tree is how to build the deck, the whole point is to be as non-interactive as possible. Other than sequencing your best auras around your opponent's spells and playing around edicts you just go in.

Those are maindeck cards in RW Prison decks. No one is using sb slots specifically for bogles mang.

I still almost won! Stupid chalice.

I asked some dude why he's so into counterspells and he just generically said "the card are better now."

But they aren't. Kefnet seems fucking TERRIBLE against anyone doing anything. It's just Jaemdae Tome.

I dunno man, UW is pretty fun right now. I dunno if it can hold back the hordes, but we'll find out soon enough lol.

sdfsdfguulz.png

Tunoku

Why are you playing Planar Outburts over Fumigate. The life gain is way more valuable than the Awaken ability imo, because it just rarely comes up.

Listening to the latest GAM podcast and they're going through some random deck ideas. I'm really intrigued by UR Drake Emerge. You don't need Cycle for Drake Haven to work, just dumb your hand to Cathartic Reunion or Stitchwing Skaab and create incredible tempo.

Supast4r

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";233983359]dryad arbor is a bad card

The interesting decision tree is how to build the deck, the whole point is to be as non-interactive as possible. Other than sequencing your best auras around your opponent's spells and playing around edicts you just go in.

I still almost won! Stupid chalice.[/QUOTE]

Uhhhh...... Dryad arbor is why Green sun zenith is banned in modern.... It also is run in boggles to dodge liliana edict. The card is niche but good.

Ri'Orius

Signed up for MTGO beta early on Friday - got no email confirmation, ticket was immediately marked to "solved".

Is this normal?

It's what happened to me, also on Friday.

So it's not some unique issue, but I don't know if things are proceeding properly for either of us.

Justin

I wanted to thank everyone who gave me tips on getting into magic a few days ago. I went to the open night at the game shop near me tonight and had a lot of fun leaning with another person who showed up who hadnt played in 12 years. I got to keep the starter deck they gave me to play with (red/black). 1/3rd of it seems to be cards from the new set. I also signed up for the pre-release event next week.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom