• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering |OT11| Amonkhet - Have you ever had decks with a Pharaoh?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Supast4r

I think it's bullshit Liliana offs these ancient demons with such ease, veil or no veil. The veil only amplfies her powers, right? So she can summon more zombies. Whoop.
Why? She is a planeswalker with hundreds of years of experience in black magic. The demons are just random creatures at the end of the day. They aren't immortal. She can only beat them with the chainveil which will probably backfire in hour of devastation.

Ri'Orius

Wrong. The MTGO beta is free to sign up for, its just that nobody wants to put in 10 minutes of effort to fill out the form.

I don't know how many times I've tried to sign up for the beta and been burned by WotC's shitty website. Normally I can't even make an account successfully, just getting helpful "Something went wrong; please try again" errors. I was able to make a Wizards account just now and fill out the sign-up form (which is apparently a customer service ticket, including fields that don't make any sense), but have yet to receive even the 'your ticket was filed' confirmation email. But the ticket is listed as 'solved' online, which means...? Maybe it'll work itself out in a couple of days (how long should it take?), or maybe I'll forget and try again when Hour comes out.

At least now I have an account. Before I kept having trouble setting up an account, and was unable to file a help ticket because I didn't have an account. That was lovely.

Why? She is a planeswalker with hundreds of years of experience in black magic. The demons are just random creatures at the end of the day. They aren't immortal. She can only beat them with the chainveil which will probably backfire in hour of devastation.

But, given enough time, they should reform.
I assume the veil allows her to stop that happening.

It's always been bullshit that demons could do this but angels couldn't.

Santiako

Alright I've singled down on my next EDH project.

At the helm of a smallpox deck

so stuff like the following

effectively a braids deck mixed with a nekusar deck mixed with a mogis deck. And yes legit tibalt.

Anyone else went to enough events to get one of the battle land promos? I was lucky enough to get the best one.

I love RB group slug/ punisher decks. People are too greedy and durdly in EDH and these decks just eat them.

Also, that cinder glade looks ace. I'll try to get my hands on some for my modern deck.

These are just regular tangolands with the expedition art yeah? I don't even know how to get them from my store.
Yeah you had to compete in 6 standard events until today to get one officially.
I love RB group slug/ punisher decks. People are too greedy and durdly in EDH and these decks just eat them.

Also, that cinder glade looks ace. I'll try to get my hands on some for my modern deck.
I've started to make decks that are my own worst nightmare. I'm so greedy with land count and such.

Tunoku

I'm in the phase of learning all the card names/artwork through sealed simulators. Is it just me or does this format feel like it might be kinda slow? Not just sealed, draft as well. Although that red one-drop that gives something haste might be pretty potent, could be even constructed playable perhaps?

kirblar

I'm in the phase of learning all the card names/artwork through sealed simulators. Is it just me or does this format feel like it might be kinda slow? Not just sealed, draft as well. Although that red one-drop that gives something haste might be pretty potent, could be even constructed playable perhaps?
It's a format w/ heavy amounts of recursion and card advantage. It'd be weird if it wasn't slow.

Tunoku

I just made had this in my pool:

unspecified-35r8sky.png
This looks so dumb.

Supast4r

But, given enough time, they should reform.
I assume the veil allows her to stop that happening.

It's always been bullshit that demons could do this but angels couldn't.

Because black has reanimation while and self recursion while white only has reanimation on other permanents.

Supast4r

Just played a dude on MTGO who is convinced neither Cat or Gideon eats a ban.

I'm super doubtful that gideon will see a ban. He is about to rotate soon. If anything it would be heart of kiran and I doubt that would happen since they just printed a ton of artifact hate. Wizards hates banning things so if anything gets banned it's Guardian. (which I am also not 100% convinced will happen because they just banned a ton of cards from standard) Banning things in standard is like pushing the emergency button. With the start of a new set they probably let it ride and then ban cat in hour of devastation if it's too oppressive. That's how I see it.

Santiako

I'm super doubtful that gideon will see a ban. He is about to rotate soon. If anything it would be heart of kiran and I doubt that would happen since they just printed a ton of artifact hate. Wizards hates banning things so if anything gets banned it's Guardian. (which I am also not 100% convinced will happen because they just banned a ton of cards from standard) Banning things in standard is like pushing the emergency button. With the start of a new set they probably let it ride and then ban cat in hour of devastation if it's too oppressive. That's how I see it.

He's rotating in 6 months! If they don't ban him he'll continue to dominate standard until then, rendering all other aggressive 4 CMC cards irrelevant.

Fwiw, I don't think they'll ban him unfortunately, I think they nix the cat and maybe heart of Kiran.

red13th

They CAN not ban anything. It would be impressively stupid of their part, but it is within the realm of possibility. They have somehow created this environment after all, and they have printed Felidar Guardian.

Supast4r

He's rotating in 6 months! If they don't ban him he'll continue to dominate standard until then, rendering all other aggressive 4 CMC cards irrelevant.

Fwiw, I don't think they'll ban him unfortunately, I think they nix the cat and maybe heart of Kiran.

I agree with the cat ban but I don't think they will pull the trigger on it. I doubt Kiran gets banned because of how much artifact hate that they just printed. They will let it ride on HoK. Gideon is an issue the same way that Collected company/siege rhino/pack rat/Thragtusk were issues of their times. Doesn't mean that you ban them.

If they ban Heart of Kiran it's practically just admitting that Vehicles are a mess, considering they already hit Copter straight out of the gate. I think stubborn pride saves the stupid thing, to the detriment of Standard.

Santiako

If they ban Heart of Kiran it's practically just admitting that Vehicles are a mess, considering they already hit Copter straight out of the gate. I think stubborn pride saves the stupid thing, to the detriment of Standard.

2 mana big evasive cheap to crew vehicles are a mess.

Supast4r

There is no reason to ban it when they printed so much artifact hate. One of the reasons why HoK was so rampant is because artifact hate sucked. Now that they just printed tons of it (and graveyard hate for scrapheap) it would make no sense to ban something from the deck. At the very worst you let it ride for a set. Cat is a different story since the combo is just bad design for a standard environment that is devoid of great planeswalker hate/pithing needle effects. You can at least interact with artifacts.

bigkrev

Played R/W burn at Modern for the first time tonight, where I couldn't find destructive revalues so I actually had no green cards in my 75 despite having a Stonping Grounds (make them think though)

Went 2-2 loosing to Jeskai Nahiri and Bant Eldrazi, and beating Mardu Tokens and the Mirror. Deck is way harder to play than I imagined- I think I kept a lot of hands I shouldn't have, and I didn't realize till 3 turns in

Violet_0

Banned
blue looks fun in limited. I'm pretty sure you could play a lot of spells that do nothing or have a late-game effect as long as they cycle for 1-2 mana, letting you dig for your value cards
like, I would be tempted to play 3 compelling arguments in my deck

white seems really solid as usual

y2dvd

Played R/W burn at Modern for the first time tonight, where I couldn't find destructive revalues so I actually had no green cards in my 75 despite having a Stonping Grounds (make them think though)

Went 2-2 loosing to Jeskai Nahiri and Bant Eldrazi, and beating Mardu Tokens and the Mirror. Deck is way harder to play than I imagined- I think I kept a lot of hands I shouldn't have, and I didn't realize till 3 turns in

It's surprising how much decision making goes into playing burn. Granted, it's still maybe not as much as other decks, but it's not as straightforward as you would think.

Eldrazi is a tough match up. Thought-Knot can come down early and it blanks all of your creatures and burn spells. Just gotta hope they can't play it early lol.

Did MM17 sealed. Most valuable card was a foil Serum Vision. Yeah I'm done dropping money on that set lol.

There is no reason to ban it when they printed so much artifact hate. One of the reasons why HoK was so rampant is because artifact hate sucked. Now that they just printed tons of it (and graveyard hate for scrapheap) it would make no sense to ban something from the deck. At the very worst you let it ride for a set. Cat is a different story since the combo is just bad design for a standard environment that is devoid of great planeswalker hate/pithing needle effects. You can at least interact with artifacts.
Natural State was a thing as was a bunch of other artifact destruction I don't see anything in AKH that's so much better than what we had available making those obsolete. There's the instant that cycles and the 3 drop and the X Spell that you can find equivalents for already.

It's not just 4CMC that he makes irrelevant he also makes tapping out on 3 impossible.
You could just play him in Group Hug.

I think playing Tibalt is bad enough that it qualifies as assisting your opponents.
In a world where people play Gamble he oughta be playable somewhere. If that ends with him being ignored all the better. Insurrection is no joke.

Burn is one of the easiest hardest decks ever. It's easy to see it on a Stream and killing on turn 3/4 and mock it for being autopilot.deck, but to master it is super difficult.

Like, you don't want to spread out your burn against DS because they'll kill you if you do. Likewise, Guide/Eidolon are probably the two best cards in the deck.. except against Bant Eldrazi where they quickly lose board presence

Ashodin

Trying to make RW Human Exert (slayer's plate still in there, no equipment focus though). Going well, but it feels wonky.

Still playing around with it, but if Gideon AoZ gets banned Dusk to Dawn is going in place of him.

Santiako

Really excited for the prerelease next week. The set looks really sweet and different to Kaladesh to play. Can't wait!

Trying to make RW Human Exert (slayer's plate still in there, no equipment focus though). Going well, but it feels wonky.

I wonder why :p

Lol what is this card, also funny that they made instants with activated abilities before, even if they change it in the oracle text for this one.
152.jpg

They'll probably still run a monster over to twat him just for giggles. The problem with PWs in multiplayer is that they're very "diplomatic" targets.
Bad ones still tend to be ignored until a "what does his ult do again, oh shit kill this thing" moment.

GoutPatrol

Forgotten in his cell
Lol what is this card, also funny that they made instants with activated abilities before, even if they change it in the oracle text for this one.
152.jpg

Bad ones still tend to be ignored until a "what does his ult do again, oh shit kill this thing" moment.

They were never activated abilities. That was how they wrote "at an additional cost" effects back then. They changed it in Urza's Saga.

The only spell that's ever had an activated ability as part of the spell itself (as opposed to an alternate cost/thing you can do with it like Cycling, Flashback, etc.) is Lightning Storm:

89.jpg

Aw need too many cuts tibalt has to go.
//Lands
1 Arid Mesa
1 Barren Moor
1 Blood Crypt
1 Bloodstained Mire
1 Bojuka Bog
1 Buried Ruin
1 Cabal Coffers
1 Canyon Slough
1 Cavern of Souls
1 Command Tower
1 Dakmor Salvage
1 Dragonskull Summit
1 Drownyard Temple
1 Forgotten Cave
1 Geier Reach Sanitarium
1 Ghost Quarter
1 Gods' Eye, Gate to the Reikai
1 Lavaclaw Reaches
1 Marsh Flats
3 Mountain
1 Polluted Delta
1 Rix Maadi, Dungeon Palace
1 Rogue's Passage
1 Scalding Tarn
1 Smoldering Marsh
1 Strip Mine
3 Swamp
1 Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth
1 Verdant Catacombs
1 Volrath's Stronghold
1 Wooded Foothills

//Artifacts
1 Anvil of Bogardan
1 Basilisk Collar
1 Crucible of Worlds
1 Ensnaring Bridge
1 Expedition Map
1 Library of Leng
1 Lightning Greaves
1 Mana Crypt
1 Rakdos Signet
1 Sensei's Divining Top
1 Smokestack
1 Sol Ring
1 Sword of Feast and Famine
1 Talisman of Indulgence
1 Wheel of Torture
1 Whispersilk Cloak

//Enchantments
1 Animate Dead
1 Bitterblossom
1 Blood Moon
1 Bloodchief Ascension
1 Bottomless Pit
1 Break Through the Line
1 Leyline of the Void
1 Liliana's Caress
1 Megrim
1 Necrogen Mists
1 No Mercy
1 Phyrexian Arena
1 Quest for the Nihil Stone
1 Shrieking Affliction
1 Storm World
1 Stranglehold
1 Waste Not

//Instants
1 Chaos Warp
1 Dark Ritual
1 Lightning Bolt
1 Vampiric Tutor

//Sorceries
1 Beacon of Unrest
1 Black Sun's Zenith
1 Burning Inquiry
1 Cabal Therapy
1 Crack the Earth
1 Damnation
1 Demonic Tutor
1 Dreadbore
1 Faithless Looting
1 Innocent Blood
1 Pox
1 Reanimate
1 Recoup
1 Smallpox
1 Subterranean Tremors
1 Syphon Mind
1 Wheel of Fortune
1 Yawgmoth's Will

//Planeswalkers
1 Liliana of the Veil

//Creatures
1 Anger
1 Bloodsoaked Champion
1 Dread Wanderer
1 Dualcaster Mage
1 Erebos, God of the Dead
1 Filth
1 Magus of the Wheel
1 Magus of the Will
1 Mogis, God of Slaughter
1 Sheoldred, Whispering One
1 Shriekmaw
1 Sire of Insanity
1 Solemn Simulacrum

1 Neheb, the Worthy #!Commander
Urgh still need 5 cuts from this. Maybe I shouldn't go too hard into the megrim effects or maybe I should cut the whole reanimator package.
They were never activated abilities. That was how they wrote "at an additional cost" effects back then. They changed it in Urza's Saga.
that's the weirdest templating to say that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom