• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering |OT11| Amonkhet - Have you ever had decks with a Pharaoh?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Santiako

Blue getting better removal than black at common lol
en_28eugnwcmA.png

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I mean it can only attack every other turn (as a flyer) so shrug? Seems worse than say Topan Freeblade more often than not?

Yavimaya Wurm already did that YEARS ago :p
This says FUCK YOU to Yavimaya Wurm also

I mean so does goddamn Primeval Titan, but yea

Santiako

I really want a UB control cycling deck to be a thing in Standard. With Drake Haven, Faith of the Devoted, Archfiend, Sphinx, etc

y2dvd

Bone Picker is crazy good and could consistently be played on T2. T2 Fatal Push or Lightning Bolt, then drop this. This can easily be played alongside Delver. It also escapes unRevolt Fatal Push.

Bone Picker is crazy good and could consistently be played on T2. T2 Fatal Push or Lightning Bolt, then drop this. This can easily be played alongside Delver. It also escapes unRevolt Fatal Push.

That's assuming they play a creature, though. What if they're playing vulture-chicken with you and waiting for you to play a creature first?

But, yeah, it's pretty solid.

So her aging was turned off and then the mending happened and she still looks like 20 something after getting deaged by WotC after she already made the pact but she went through menopause nonetheless?

That doesn't even make sense. I'd like an old Liliana card though if she was old before her pact, which might I say is still the dumbest pact made by demons I've ever read in fiction.

Like Mephistopheles made a better bargain with Faust. Or to be a bit more contemporary Mephistopheles made a better deal with Spiderman.

Yeef

en_n7ijHBmMm5.png

Looking at this again, it's stronger than I initially thought. It doesn't move the counter, so even if none of your dudes has a -1/-1 counter, you can still put a counter on an opposing creature whenever this attacks.

Liliana's Flow (BR)
Enchantment
Whenever you activate an ability of a Liliana Planeswalker, put a flow counter on Liliana's Flow.
Remove four flow counters from Liliana's Flow: Liliana's Flow deals four damage to each creature.

So her aging was turned off and then the mending happened and she still looks like 20 something after getting deaged by WotC after she already made the pact but she went through menopause nonetheless?

That doesn't even make sense. I'd like an old Liliana card though if she was old before her pact, which might I say is still the dumbest pact made by demons I've ever read in fiction.

Like Mephistopheles made a better bargain with Faust. Or to be a bit more contemporary Mephistopheles made a better deal with Spiderman.

Huh? It makes perfect sense. The Mending happened and her immortality turned off and she got old. Then she made the pact and had her youth and some of her power restored.

Maledict

I'm really not sure why blue has gained the part of the colour pie that permanently switches off creatures stats. Hasn't that always been a white thing? (Humble, etc)

DrArchon

I'm really not sure why blue has gained the part of the colour pie that permanently switches off creatures stats. Hasn't that always been a white thing? (Humble, etc)

I guess they figured blue needed more lasting removal and decided that this was better than printing more Pongify variants. Can't say I'm thrilled.

OnPoint

It's potentially infinite mana on turn 2.

T1: Temple Garden, Birds
T2: Forest, Viser, Exile Simian Spirit Guide, Devoted Druid

Yes it's Xmas land-ish. Really not outside the realm of reality, though.

Santiako

You don't need the birds if you have the SSG, do you?

That's no better than t2 Druid, t3 Vizier. Either way you don't get to go infinite until turn 3.

T1 SSG, Druid and t2 Vizier would be faster though.

I wonder if this could fit in a Jeskai Ascendancy shell

That's no better than t2 Druid, t3 Vizier. Either way you don't get to go infinite until turn 3.

T1 SSG, Druid and t2 Vizier would be faster though.

I wonder if this could fit in a Jeskai Ascendancy shell
I mean, the cards you'd want for Jeskai Ascendancy would be Untap+Sprout Swarm, right? So why wouldn't you just run Paradox Engine and keep it in GW?

Right. There are probably like 10 different shells that you could slot this combo into anyway. An existing Modern deck probably just went up a tier or two

ultron87

Is talking about Liliana's menstrual cycle really that different than going into how Ravnica can function logistically and economically as a city plane?

Huh? It makes perfect sense. The Mending happened and her immortality turned off and she got old. Then she made the pact and had her youth and some of her power restored.
She got deaged between Liliana Vess and every card since.
You're right the rest does make sense, though you'd think necromancy or travelling across highly advanced worlds would include a way to turn off your ovaries.

I'd really like to know her contract though it appears so ill conceived by the demons.

Is talking about Liliana's menstrual cycle really that different than going into how Ravnica can function logistically and economically as a city plane?

Not at all. Best part about both is you can ignore them if you don't really care as well.

Personally, I probably wouldn't have cared except the explanation is hilarious. Totally justifies it imo.

Maybe read again? The angle here is:

1. While she was a godlike pre-mending PW, Liliana (like literally every female PW) would have avoided having a period, using her powers.
  2. When the Mending happened, she started aging naturally and got to be like 60, so she would've experienced menopause as normal.
  3. When she made a deal for eternal youth with the demons, they would've made sure she went back to being young in every way, including having periods again, because demons are dicks.

Are they planting the seeds for Liliana, Mother of Baby Jace or something?

Someone asked them about it on Twitter and they went and had an offhand conversation about it at lunch, then Alison reported on it because it's funny.

They decided that it's polymorphing rather than rule-setting and I'm okay with that, white has better creature removal options anyway.

Personally, I probably wouldn't have cared except the explanation is hilarious. Totally justifies it imo.

Alison is objectively the funniest person working on Magic and they made a good choice to bump her from social media to creative.

1. When she made a deal for eternal youth with the demons, they would've made sure she went back to being young in every way, including having periods again, because demons are dicks.
That's not being dicks but being considerate. Being dicks would have been to not restore her to full capacity.
If you take for example Yennefer from the witcher novels who despite being able to retain a young experience went to great lengths to regain the possibility of motherhood without success.

Yeef

I'd really like to know her contract though it appears so ill conceived by the demons.
Well, the only thing that makes it ill-conceived is the Chain Veil, which the demons obviously wouldn't have known about. Without the Chain Veil, Liliana is no match for any of the demons.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom