• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering |OT8| Eldritch Moon - It's only a paper (and digital) moon

Status
Not open for further replies.
Please, I've seen so many topics here get beat to death over the years I've been in this thread (if we ever start multiple pages on the reserved list again, please kill me). I'm actually kind of glad I didn't play the deck during the halcyon days of Eye of Ugin -- I'd probably really be missing it right about now.

There was a lot of talk about tron round the Twin ban where everyone said it was gonna be the top deck by wide margin.

Ma police and all.

OnPoint

There was a lot of talk about tron round the Twin ban where everyone said it was gonna be the top deck by wide margin.

Ma police and all.

Yeah, then Eldrazi Winter happened and everything went all topsy-turvy, while Wizards simultaneously sat on their hands and pissed away a lot of Modern goodwill by not nipping it in the bud quickly.

I don't really think Tron is a "top deck", but it's at least a dangerous one if people are unprepared.

Yeah, then Eldrazi Winter happened and everything went all topsy-turvy, while Wizards simultaneously sat on their hands and pissed away a lot of Modern goodwill by not nipping it in the bud quickly.

I don't really think Tron is a "top deck", but it's at least a dangerous one if people are unprepared.

I just like to remind people of that rhetoric. Tron is a top deck in the sense that if you're not packing some hate in the side they might just run you over.
Issue seems to be that you just need to get lucky and dodge some matchups. I wouldn't be surprised if some tron players draw out one of their earlier matches on purpose.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"

They banned Eye of Ugin the first B&R after the deck came out.

I just like to remind people of that rhetoric. Tron is a top deck in the sense that if you're not packing some hate in the side they might just run you over.
Issue seems to be that you just need to get lucky and dodge some matchups. I wouldn't be surprised if some tron players draw out one of their earlier matches on purpose.

You could replace "Tron" in this post with also literally every deck in Modern. The reason why Jund persists to be popular is that its one of the few decks that rarely gets locked out by hate, even though its rarely the best deck.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Has Jund actually ever won a premier event?

Yeah, but its also gotten hit with several bans. Punishing Fire, Deathrite Shaman and Bloodbraid Elf are all banned and saw a lot of play at one point. Jund was easily the best deck at the point at which Bloodbraid Elf got banned, and was becoming ridiculous again around the time Deathrite Shaman came around.

Santiako

Jund, Tron, Affinity, Infect, Burn, Abzan Coco, Fish, UWR Nahiri, some form of Eldrazi are all top decks because you have to expect to run into them always as they are both numerous and perform well. Maybe now you can add Dredge and Suicide in there.

So they are doing team unified modern GPs next year, that's pretty cool. Also, a super triple four day long GP in las vegas.

http://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/news/pro-tour-eldritch-moon-organized-play-announcement-bookkeeping-2016-08-02

Both Legacy GPs are in the US, rest of the world legacy players keeps getting fucked.

Base page for the Pro Tour changes

There will also be changes to the prize payout and such starting next year, but I'm not knowledgeable enough to figure out if they're good or not. On a first impression, everything seems alright. Some of them are (just copy/pasting):
* Platinum players will receive a $500 appearance fee for the first six Grand Prix main events that the player competes in in the current season (currently, Platinum players receive a $250 appearance fee for each Grand Prix main event that the player competes in).
* Platinum players will no longer receive hotel accommodations for each Pro Tour during the 2017–18 season.
* The Magic Pro Tour Team Series is a new addition to the Pro Tour that will officially roll out with the 2017–18 premier play season (starting with Pro Tour Albuquerque 2017). It is an optional program that players may choose to participate in starting with the first Pro Tour, and it awards a prize pool of just over $200,000 to the top-performing teams at the end of the season.
* While the Magic Pro Tour Team Series will not officially kick off until the first Pro Tour of the 2017–18 season, we will be conducting a soft launch of this program in the 2016–17 season for players who are interested in participating.
* (Not copy/pasted) The players that get into the World Championship will be changed.
* The 2017 World Championship will feature a prize pool of $300,000, with $100,000 being awarded to the 2017 World Champion.
* In addition, the way we award Pro Points at the World Championship will change in 2017. World Championship competitors will earn 1 Pro Point for each match win in the Swiss rounds after they win their third match.
* Grand Prix in San Antonio, Texas, and Madrid, Spain, will feature a fresh addition to the Grand Prix schedule: Team Unified Modern. The feedback we have received is a general love for team events, and there was a strong interest in bringing Team Constructed Grand Prix to the public. Team Unified Modern is the format we're using to explore the possibility of more team events in the future, as it is the format for the World Magic Cup and we expect there to be interest in exploring the same format that tournament's competitors play.

Angry Grimace

Tron is the easiest deck in Modern to play, as well. Sometimes you get hated out, but thems the breaks.

Yeah, but its also gotten hit with several bans. Punishing Fire, Deathrite Shaman and Bloodbraid Elf are all banned and saw a lot of play at one point. Jund was easily the best deck at the point at which Bloodbraid Elf got banned, and was becoming ridiculous again around the time Deathrite Shaman came around.

oh right that was way before I started watching and playing modern, has Jund won any oremier event in recent history.

OnPoint

Congrats!

I just finished up a RG Tron deck about a month ago myself.

Took a while for me to get 4 copies of grove of the burnwillows...

Meant to ask you before, what's your sideboard look like? I don't have any copies of Firespout currently but it might be worth running... thoughts? I'm pretty new to piloting it, though there's a bunch of testing to come.

Angry Grimace

I personally don't really care for Jund nearly as much as I do for Abzan.

Eh shards are clearly
Bant
Esper
Grixis
Jund
Naya

and Wedges are
Jeskai
Abzan
Sultai
Temur
Mardu

and triple colour combinations easily
Bant
Esper
Grixis
Jeskai
Jund
Abzan
Sultai
Temur
Mardu
Naya

all from top to bottom best to worst
duh

OnPoint

I would use mismatched white-bordered 5/8th Edition ones to try to trigger my opponent into throwing.

I thought about doing this for that reason, and also for the super off chance that I'm somehow on camera, and driving Cedric and Patrick Sullivan crazy. In the end, I settled on something a bit more... tasteful.

New Pro tour top 8 structure. Starting with Kaladesh, 1st and 2nd seed will advance directly into the semifinals. This is to get people to play their rounds instead of IDd into top8 I assume.

NEWS20160802_Bracket.png

The first seed curse might be ending?

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";212277843]Dimir for life! My wallet still has the Dimir sticker on it from the RTR prerelease kits.[/QUOTE]

why would you do that to yourself? The only thing worse than Dimir was RTR Dimir and the only thing worse than RTR Dimir was getting a RTR Dimir pack during Dragon's Maze as the 2nd random booster.

Yeef

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";212278188]Does basic Wastes rotate when BFZ block rotates?[/QUOTE]Yes (Assuming they're not reprinted in a standard set).

Angry Grimace

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";212278188]Does basic Wastes rotate when BFZ block rotates?[/QUOTE]

There's no such thing as a card that doesn't rotate.

The reason Plains, Swamp, Mountain, Forest and Island don't rotate is because they keep printing them.

Yeah, I remember when Jund was super oppressive in the format. BBE, DRS, man... what a deck.

The good days. I just want DRS back.
I wasn't around for the Punishing Fire ban, but playing it in Legacy... it's really a slow win. It can steal games, but it doesn't seem super oppressive. Was it that bad in Modern?

Angry Grimace

The good days. I just want DRS back.
I wasn't around for the Punishing Fire ban, but playing it in Legacy... it's really a slow win. It can steal games, but it doesn't seem super oppressive. Was it that bad in Modern?

Jund is an attrition-based deck with repeatable discard. The interaction is relatively degenerate.

I don't think its on the SUPER BANNED list though. The SUPER BANNED list is like Hypergenesis, Skullclamp, the Artifact Lands and Dread Return.

I have no idea what's eligible to be unbanned, but I think Green Sun's Zenith being banned is kind of weird when Chord of Calling and Collected Company are legal cards.

Angry Grimace

I'm actually wondering if Sylvan Advocate could find room in Jund. Having 2 of them out would make treetop village a 7/7 that can be activated for 1G.

It dies to Lightning Bolt most of the time. You almost never really get 6 lands out in Jund. Tarmogoyf doesn't die to Bolt most of the time, and Dark Confidant is just too good.

It dies to Lightning Bolt most of the time. You almost never really get 6 lands out in Jund. Tarmogoyf doesn't die to Bolt most of the time, and Dark Confidant is just too good.

Yeah that's the caveat. OTOH it has vigilance can be good. As it is often we'll just end up with it's not goyf though, kind of a bummer.
At least Knightfall and Abzan aren't usually running goyf.

How did Jund even undo the Bob damage before Kalitas? Scooze can't heal that much.

GSZ being search for the morrow w/o suspend at the worst is what makes it the dumbest.

I have no idea what's eligible to be unbanned, but I think Green Sun's Zenith being banned is kind of weird when Chord of Calling and Collected Company are legal cards.

GSZ is amazing, but if I had to guess CoC costs GG more in the CMC and CC limits you to the top six cards. It's extremely powerful but I suppose you could still whiff.
GSZ is very surgical, it's the more efficient green tutor. I think that the Green Toolbox decks would be better for having it.

Yeah that's the caveat. OTOH it has vigilance to protect Lili. As often we'll just end up with it's not goyf though, kind of a bummer.
At least Knightfall and Abzan aren't usually running goyf.

How did Jund even undo the Bob damage before Kalitas? Scooze can't heal that much.

Scavenging Ooze, Shambling Vent, Sorin, Courser of Kruphix

None as great as Kalitas, I don't think.

Angry Grimace

A big problem with GSZ is that it's also a ramp spell for just G.

But Dryad Arbor isn't necessarily any better than just putting Noble Hierarch in your deck. It's flexible, sure, but I don't think that's a particularly broken interaction.

Angry Grimace

Yes when next 3 you play are tutors.

The problem is that I don't think the interaction is really all that overpowered. It's more flexible, but lots of spells in Modern are flexible. The only reason for something to be banned is if it actually breaks the game and is overpowered vs. the other spells in the format. I don't think GSZ is anything like that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom