• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magna Carta: JESUS CHRIST THE BOX AUGH

Mario Kart DS doesn't suck, though! It's just utterly uninspired and completely derivative with substandard internet play and eye-rendingly archaic graphics! It's still fun in the way a good kart racer is, though, even if it doesn't actually TRY to evolve a little as Double Dash did. Take away the lame Nintendo mascots you fantards all pony up for and you're left with an utterly typical kart racer -- which is still 1000 years of power better than Magna Carta's turgid genitalia and femme-boy horrors.

I bought Conker for YOU, Mike, you traitor! (WhiteMan's got it, BTW, since he said he had a 'package' to send you; kick his ass and make him get goin'.) However, that game isn't the shame of which Joel speaks -- and if he reveals it, I'll troll the DS as never before in retaliation.

Ark-AMN

Banned
gamergirly said:
Cut the hair much shorter, get rid of the breasts, and put some more male clothes on. That's all she needs to be a man....

magna-carta-crimson-stigmata-20040811041758592.jpg

heh, which one's the guy? :D

EDIT: And, I gotta say that I was so suprised to see Drinky of all people with this game. I figured this was one of those titles that he'd have kept far away from. :lol

Ark, seriously, it was Trav invoking the name of Vagrant Story that made me pay attention. My love for that game is not be trifled with. That when coupled with the desire to spend money to offset a crappy day at work and my general paranoia about the availability of Atlus RPGs that led me down THE PATH TO REPUTATION RUIN.

Tamanon

Banned
Just because I had to support Atlus, I picked the game up myself. Tomorrow I'll go and pick up DQ8 and Wild Arms. We'll see how the game plays tonight, from what I've read, I'm getting a Shadow Hearts Covenant feel about the combat system.

And the general rule in the game seems to be

Guys - B-cup breasts

Girls - EE-cup breasts

Ark-AMN

Banned
Someone invoked "Vagrant Story" and this game in the same scentence. Well, I guess since both main characters of these titles wear the trademarked "Assless Pants" of the videogame industry, there is some connection there. :lol

EDIT: And on your first post you said you hid the game from your wife, but later on you said she was laughing at the art book. I take it you didn't hide it well. :D

djtiesto said:
Brandish looks awesome... Falcom game? More information, stat!

Originally created by Nihon Falcom for the PC engine and then ported to the Super NES and published by Koei, Brandish is TOTALLY FUCKING AWESOME.

Dungeon crawler. Long. Difficult. "Real 3D" game. Maps. Tonnes of levels. Lots of shit to get. PHAT LEWT. HUNDREDS OF TREASURE CHESTS. Great music as well. The worst "Area" is the Ruins which is the first area. Everything else is even better (Ruins is a shitload of fun), and prettier to boot.

One of the best games EVER, and most people have never even heard of it. :(

Go buy it. Play it. LOVE IT.

Tabs

I can't, for the life of me, understand why I would've brought up Vagrant Story in any impressions of Magna Carta. Was I just referring to the button presses in the combo stance? I don't even know. The game is still good in the beginning, right? Right? Can we talk about something else? Xenosaga! Pheonix Wright!

Ah, I still respect ya, buddy. My purchase of Magna Carta is now officially a personal failing, right up alongside a certain Game That Shall Not Be Named.

Dragona Akehi said:
One of the best games EVER, and most people have never even heard of it. :(
I played about halfway through the PC Engine Super CD-ROM version. It has simplified controls and CD music. ;D But it started to grind on me before I finished the second or third area...the music got too repetitive and there wasn't much variety in the challenges from level to level. I could probably go back to it and enjoy it again, though.

demi

Drinky Crow said:
androgynes, loli, lactation: throw in some tentacles and a dickgirl, and you have the status quo for modern Japanese male sexuality!

this thread needs some demi, stat

YOU RAAAAAAANG?

jiji said:
I played about halfway through the PC Engine Super CD-ROM version. It has simplified controls and CD music. ;D But it started to grind on me before I finished the second or third area...the music got too repetitive and there wasn't much variety in the challenges from level to level. I could probably go back to it and enjoy it again, though.

I said most people never heard of it.

Basically it's a dungeon crawler. If you don't like them, there's no reason to why you'd like Brandish.

My favourite area in the game is
The Dark Zones
oh man was that awesome. And the music! Great.

I need to get the HUcard and Super CD version of it (I SWEAR TO GOD I'VE SEEN A HUCARD VERSION). Not to mention the sequels.

The SFC version is better, if you ask me. Controls better (more buttons) and a hell of a lot better graphics. CD music though... that's definatley something I'd prefer.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
I picked this up too, and was a bit aghast when I realized that Reith's boobs (amongst things) were done in a raised relief style. Very disturbing.

I do love the artwork though. Gratuitous? Yes, fine, but truly engaging designs and color usage, IMHO.

I doubt I'll actually play this until next year, but I sure hope it was better than the steaming pile known as Stella Deus.

MrDaravon

Any opinion of the artwork aside, you have to admit they went all fucking out with the packaging. A raised cover (lol), full (!) guide and artbook (and the envronment art looked really good from what I saw flipping through) and a full-sized poster is very very nice. At least if you don't hate the art. :lol

TekunoRobby

Tag of Excellence
I'm not in the art critique crowd, my only complaint lies with that girl. The rest of it is fine I guess.

EDIT: OH OK, except for captain gender bender. Yeah I hate him too.

Tamanon

Banned
Holy crap there's a lot of useless junk in combat :lol I dunno how I feel about it, just got past the "FORBIDDEN MAGIC"

Voice acting is very stilted.....I dunno, game will probably get shelved tomorrow, heh. So much crap in the game.

Ark-AMN

Banned
Whats Calintz's voice sound like?

I mean, isn't it kind of disturbing to hear a male voice coming out of that character? I mean there's one thing we never had to deal with in regards to Kuja.

Tamanon

Banned
Ark-AMN said:
Whats Calintz's voice sound like?

I mean, isn't it kind of disturbing to hear a male voice coming out of that character? I mean there's one thing we never had to deal with in regards to Kuja.

Relatively deep voice, does seem kinda weird. Only thing weirder is that I think one of the first Blast Worms is voiced by the same guy. Makes it sound like he's having a conversation with himself. :)

Here's my early impressions of the game

Graphics are pretty. Modeling is great, and the basic fighting animations are okay.

The combat system and battle UI reminds me -not- of Vagrant Story, but Legend of Dragoon. This is NOT a good thing.

The timing wheel for attacks, like in Dragoon and Shadow Hearts is, of course, engaging. On the other hand, the fact that the party controls are real-time coupled to a miserable manual swap system like Star Ocean 2's is NOT. Even worse, when you're moving and/or attacking with your character, the other two sit on their thumbs.

In fact, combat in general sucks in this game. It's easy, sure, but it's awkward, counterintuitive, and encumbered by cool-sounding but ultimately meaningless ancillary mechanics.

Did I mention the VA work is mediocre? There's a lot of pretty stuff to look at as you meander through noninteractive "hallway" dungeons ala FFX and Suikoden 3. Ew.

The load times are tedious as hell, especially the post-battle one. Despite the good graphics, you'll spend a fair bit of time looking at a black screen with a little fidgety sigil animation in the lower right. Zzzzz.

Even more annoying is the fact that there's a stupid "charging" animation that lasts like 3-5 seconds before any attack, party or enemy. It drags out already slow battles unnecessarily. I can't tell if it's to mask the spooling of animation data from the CD or if it's a cruel joke by evil Korean developers to make the stupid white man hate his life.

The character dialogue is well-translated, but predictable as all hell. Wish I could skip it.

First impressions: this is a next-gen Legend of Dragoon with the silly sentai characters replaced by fetish models. iapetus stay away.

Tamanon

Banned
Minor problem I have with the combat, thst stupid charge-up that's done before EVERY freakin' move.

I found you here......so I thought......stupid pause.......stupid pause....

Whats......Amabat......

Alright that's getting annoying.

Man, this game is just FILTHY with dumb design decisions.

You can heal outside of battle; all you do is press Square. Fine, that's convenient. So why make me sit through watching my characters HP bars slowly scroll until filled? Why not just check to see if there's any monsters in the area and if there are none, instantly replenish my health? Instead, I'm forced to wait FOR NO GOOD REASON.

Shouta

Man, I swore I told you to keep away from this game Doug. Didn't I tell you over the phone not to get this game?

Triumph

Banned
Drinky Crow said:
Ah, I still respect ya, buddy. My purchase of Magna Carta is now officially a personal failing, right up alongside a certain Game That Shall Not Be Named.
You... you bought FFX2, didn't you? I just don't know you anymore, man.

Shouta

FFX-2 is actually pretty fucking good gameplay wise. Hell, even the story is decent. The only thing people don't like is the early "girl power" opening. That shit doesn't actually infest much of the game after that.

Tamanon

Banned
Alright 2 hours in, and I can't play any more right now. This game seriously is Legend of Dragoon, but more frustrating. I hate that my other characters do *NOTHING*, and I can really only use one character at a time. Just makes battles needlessly annoying......the dialogue is alright, but the voice acting delivery sucks. We'll try this game another time, too many other good RPGs coming out to bring myself down with this one, hehe. FFXII demo ----> Wild Arms Alter Code F ----> Dragon Quest 8 will be my slate:)

Oh and my god at the boobs.

Mejilan said:
I picked this up too, and was a bit aghast when I realized that Reith's boobs (amongst things) were done in a raised relief style. Very disturbing.

I do love the artwork though. Gratuitous? Yes, fine, but truly engaging designs and color usage, IMHO.

I doubt I'll actually play this until next year, but I sure hope it was better than the steaming pile known as Stella Deus.
I agree as well. I like the exaggerated style it really is fresh and while disproportionate.. this isn't reality (thats why 2D rules). It seems very organic. I've heard the game was pretty mediocre though, even so I'd love to get my hands on the artbook.

No, Triumph it was worse than FFX-2

it was

Yugioh: Nightmare Troubadour

for the

Nintendo DS

It was awful and I promptly returned it. I swear, I have some truly odd fits when bored at GameCrazy.

Shouta, FFX-2's battle system is passably amusing and certainly flashy, but walking down the recycled hallways and open spaces of FFX for the SECOND TIME only makes playing with the retarded cast doubly aggravating. Between Rikku and Brother, my soul died a terrible heat death during the six to seven hours I spent with the game.

Shouta

The battle system actually shows some potential as you get farther into the game. It's just that they don't force you to really make use of it. There's a battle I'm on (
Angra Mainyu in the last mission for Bikanel Desert in Chapter 5
) which shows the potential of the battle system but there aren't too many battles in the game like it. It's a damn shame that they really didn't put more thought into it because it could've been the best RPG for battles this gen if they did.

The recycling of areas is kind of expected. It's a sequel based around the same characters from a previous game. Besides, the actual running around isn't too bad except that fucking chocobo chasing thing for one of the missions. I can understand Rikku and Brother though, those two are fucking annoying as hell.

Tamanon

Banned
Alphonse said:
The battle system actually shows some potential as you get farther into the game. It's just that they don't force you to really make use of it. There's a battle I'm on (
Angra Mainyu in the last mission for Bikanel Desert in Chapter 5
) which shows the potential of the battle system but there aren't too many battles in the game like it. It's a damn shame that they really didn't put more thought into it because it could've been the best RPG for battles this gen if they did.

The recycling of areas is kind of expected. It's a sequel based around the same characters from a previous game. Besides, the actual running around isn't too bad except that fucking chocobo chasing thing for one of the missions. I can understand Rikku and Brother though, those two are fucking annoying as hell.

I stopped arguing that FF X-2 was a pretty good game a while ago, apparently it's a taste thing:p I loved the game.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
I'm more shocked that Yugioh wasn't a day 1 purchase from you, less an embarrassment, I just assumed it was always on the list given your rich legacy dabbling in that saga.

Hell, I nearly bought Battle Network 5 DS today just because Sonic wasn't in stock yet, and the whole dungeon map pinned to screen 2 is the evolutionary step that could get me back into that franchise.

Top Bottom