• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mai Shiranui from KOF joins DOA5LR in September

Vlaphor

The interesting thing about the Fatal Fury movie is that it's somewhat...accurate in how Mai's fights would be, in that she spends most of the final battle popping out of her uniform in most of the scenes she's in.

Fatal Fury The Motion Picture is still my favorite video game based movie of all time, due in part to how well Mai was done. There's nothing particularly special about her, but she just likes to have a bunch of fun and bounce a lot, and that's more than enough for me.

As for Masami Obari doing hentai, that was just an extension of his work with Fatal Fury and Voltage Fighter Gowcaizer in the direction he was heading, and it shows, especially with the fact that Angel Blade has a character that pretty much look exactly like Mai. Still, these days, if you were to ask most Japanese fans what the name Masami Obari meant to them, they'd probably say as a top-tier designer of Mecha.

BTW, speaking of Fatal Fury the Motion Picture, there was an excellent dvd rerelease of it done recently, with a new transfer at near blu ray quality. Check it out.

Lokimaru

Honest question for Mai fans, but has there ever been anything more to the character besides her appearance?

There's no shortage of female fighters clearly designed as fap fuel, but at least they usually have some kind of backstory or other material that defines them: Chun-Li is an Interpol officer who wants to avenge her father, Kasumi is on the run from her ninja clan, even Ivy Valentine has this whole thing with Soul Edge and her pirate zombie father or some nonsense.

But over the years the two other big things that seem to define Mai are that she likes to flaunt her sexiness and really, really wants to have sex with Andy.

With Lara Croft rebooted, Mai is like the prime example of a videogame titty monster.

Mai is a female ninja a kunoichi. I use to wonder why female ninja all wear sexy outfits in games and anime till I found out what a female ninjas job was. Espionage and Assassination normally though sebuction and sex. They were experts in potion making, both poisons and aphrodisiacs.

When escaping their outfits were used for maximum distraction hense the looseness,tightness or just downright skimpyness of most kunoichi apparel. They are armed with easily consealable weaponry, wire garrots, fans with bladed edges, poisoned shiriken, ect.

Mai's just being what she is, she's even shown being able to change her appearance quickly in full view. She's number one alright.

Loona

Honest question for Mai fans, but has there ever been anything more to the character besides her appearance?

There's no shortage of female fighters clearly designed as fap fuel, but at least they usually have some kind of backstory or other material that defines them: Chun-Li is an Interpol officer who wants to avenge her father, Kasumi is on the run from her ninja clan, even Ivy Valentine has this whole thing with Soul Edge and her pirate zombie father or some nonsense.

But over the years the two other big things that seem to define Mai are that she likes to flaunt her sexiness and really, really wants to have sex with Andy.

With Lara Croft rebooted, Mai is like the prime example of a videogame titty monster.

I once tried to start exploring KoF lore in articles that would use dialogs from KoF XIII as a starting point, and since most of the screenshots i got since that came to mind involved Mai, eventually I managed to put this together about her:

http://dreamcancel.com/2015/06/29/exploring-kof-xiii-dialogues-mai-and-the-shiranui-legacy/

Mind you, I'm more of a fan of SNK and the settings of their games, and Mai's not a character I even care about, so the text linked above might not count as a fan perspective - but she's become something of an inevitability when it comes to presenting the games to the general audience, and enjoying the games and caring about their world eventually means accepting Mai as a part of that, and perhaps figuring out how that affects the world she's in.

I kinda wish she got to be in a genre other than fighting games involving tournaments, something using actual ninja assassination skills or close enough, enough to try not to be seen and using actual weapons instead of fans - it might be fun to give her a counterpart to Flash's "that was for charity, Clark" moment with Superman.

As for Obari, apparently he worked on the relatively recent Super Robot Wars anime, and ended up tainting that too with more pervy fanservice than it needed, like the breast he emphasized on one of the bots, Angelg, or the ED with the girls practically losing their swimsuits at the beach...

Finaika

What's wrong with being extremely thirsty?

Galdelico

She looks 100 times better and more fluid in here than she does on the new KoF where she is actually from. How is that possible!? Looking great!

I don't know, the model itself looks great of course, but I still believe they could add a little bit more detail to the outfit - by picking up her Fatal Fury 3 costume, for example - in order to better conform her style to the rest of the cast. I can't help but thinking she looks more like a very well done CaS from Soul Calibur V, rather than a fully fledged new character (if that makes any sense).
And this doesn't mean I prefer the way she looks in KoFXIV, as I think she's been given the worst model in the whole roster (terrible face + hair, weird looking proportions and such), which is a shame.

Korigama

No they aren't. Maximum impact am cry.
And even before that, there was Fatal Fury: Wild Ambition and Samurai Shodown 64. Samurai Shodown Sen also predates XIV, but most rightly prefer to forget that one entirely.

If I were to choose, I would've liked to see them go with Real Bout: Fatal Fury Mai as a base (FF3 would've also been acceptable), but this still looks okay.

She looks 100 times better and more fluid in here than she does on the new KoF where she is actually from. How is that possible!? Looking great!

Team Ninja probably invested ALOT of time and effort creating their 3D girls, considering how important their beauty is to the DoA franchise. Though I respect SNK and love (in particular) KoFXIII, I agree the characters in the new one look very ordinary. Bad even.

Mai looks good in that combo video. When her fiery tail whip move juggles Hayabusa, it looks a bit weird. Im used to seeing opponents catch fire when that hits.
Anyway, looking forward to seeing more of her on PC. Bring on those mods.

Loona

That was about a decade ago - the devs from then aren't necessarily the same as the current devs.

Fuck that, he needs to make his fighting game debut in Virtua Fighter. Like god intended.

First you need to convince Sega to actually bother to make in the very least re-release VF on modern systems - until then, games like Project X Zone will have to hold that torch. I'm no VF expert, but I like how DoA's handling the VF cast and Mai, I figure they'd do right by Ryo, and if not, a new VF could learn from their mistakes.

Also, of course Kasumi gets the Kasumi Todoh outfit - I wonder if it'll provide the choice of ponytail or not, based on her classic AoF3 and modern KoF looks, since DoA5 default Kasumi has the option of using both hairstyles minus headband.

Ashtar

Hahaha in a move surprising to no one after his excessive perviness masami obari dropped all pretense and made hentai.... Lmao shame since fatal fury series is excellent and made me love non sanurai shodown snk games

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso

Her moves are being fit to the game well. That's pretty cool to see. Definitely looking forward to giving her a shot!

Naaa. She really looks, as a character, pretty boring. She has none of the playful, "bluntly sexual, but lovable" personality SNK normally infuses into her here. Her face just looks like any other DOA girl, probably worse because she doesn't really look to have any defining personality.

I agree with the "She looks like a well down Create-A-Soul" comment from Galdelico. (Don't agree with the Terrible face and worse model stuff though; there were models I disliked more in SFIV, and I love the animation quirks the KoF team has put on characters, like lips jutted to a side, loads of personal sound effects, and unique builds that actually make 50 characters feel unique amongst each other.)

SNK is new at 3D.

They might as well be New. It's not like any of the people that worked on the previously mentioned projects are really working there, and they said themselves they don't' have the manpower or group to work on the kinda stuff like other companies to.

Madman's Cafe translated Famitsu interview with XIV's devs:
http://www.mmcafe.com/news/posts/10211.html
http://www.mmcafe.com/news/posts/10212.html

As a group, they're making their new 3D games from scratch (they mention in that interview that nothing from XIII was reusable, and they really wish some of it was), and they're coming together as a team through it. Neo.G mentioned in an older interview

Neo_G: "Well that too, but there was another reason why I chose SNKPlaymore. KOF14 will be a new start for the company as 'SNK', and I thought that being part of it was going to be a huge opportunity to experience that. I was hoping that I can get back into experiencing the good old days when companies made games with a grinding approach, where each and every development staff created whatever they were doing through tons of trials and errors. I just couldn't miss out on that opportunity.

They've been pretty frank and open in these interviews, we have less and less reason to guess why things are they way they are now.

SOLDIER

Hahaha in a move surprising to no one after his excessive perviness masami obari dropped all pretense and made hentai.... Lmao shame since fatal fury series is excellent and made me love non sanurai shodown snk games

the real shame is Angel Blade never got a sequel

Fatal Fury anime made me love the cast more than any other KOF characters. Mai, Terry and the others just looked cool.

I found the movie really disappointing from an animation standpoint. The 2 OVA's were excellent and well animated. When the first fight started in the movie, I thought I was watching something else all of a sudden. Holy shit the animation down grade. I just really can't get over that.

Finaika

Awesome, will def pick her up then, breathe some new life into the game for me.

image.php

RiZ III

Because Team Ninja is the king of fluid animation in 3D fighting games. No other game comes even close.

Top Bottom