• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mai Shiranui from KOF joins DOA5LR in September

DR2K

Banned
Is there actually anyone out there who has ALL the DLC released for this game?

I know I am a completionist myself, but I can't imagine myself spending that kind of money on this game, only for DOA 6 to come out and then the cycle begins all over again.

This would be an interesting discussion for a different thread I guess, but how much DLC is too much? I guess that it is alright if it actually brings more new content like characters and such, but I can't help but feel this is not the right way of doing it (at the current prices at least).

Well here's the thing, you're asking a developer to cut off their biggest source of revenue because you think youre entitled to every bit of content they produce even after the game has been developed(for years). DOA could have easily gone the way of SC and VF, but has managed to keep itself alive and relevant because of how they've decided to monetize their game.

You don't need 50 costumes per character to get the full enjoyment out of the game.

DOA5 vanilla has more substantially more costumes than any other fighting game offers for free. For what it's worth. DOALR offers about 15 to 20 costumes per character at the base game.

Kuksune

Is there actually anyone out there who has ALL the DLC released for this game?

I know I am a completionist myself, but I can't imagine myself spending that kind of money on this game, only for DOA 6 to come out and then the cycle begins all over again.

This would be an interesting discussion for a different thread I guess, but how much DLC is too much? I guess that it is alright if it actually brings more new content like characters and such, but I can't help but feel this is not the right way of doing it (at the current prices at least).
I bought almost every pack back in Ultimate but i came to my senses and stopped buying everything. I just buy the ones for my mains and some others that i like now.

I usually buy the halloween packs though, but they're usually pretty good.

KingBroly

Banned
Well here's the thing, you're asking a developer to cut off their biggest source of revenue because you think youre entitled to every bit of content they produce even after the game has been developed(for years). DOA could have easily gone the way of SC and VF, but has managed to keep itself alive and relevant because of how they've decided to monetize their game.

You don't need 50 costumes per character to get the full enjoyment out of the game.

DOA5 vanilla has more substantially more costumes than any other fighting game offers for free. For what it's worth. DOALR offers about 15 to 20 costumes per character at the base game.

I feel like they should reduce the price of some of the older and worst-selling DLC at least. The game has like...$700+ worth of DLC costumes alone. Even with the F2P version the game has, it's still a way to get people into buying DLC.

2+2=5

The Amiga Brotherhood
bai0qtn.jpg

Is the guy after mai hanzo from overwatch?

Loona

Also, it's silly to claim that SF fans don't want guest characters...then in the same breath mention CvS, MvC, and SFxT.

If SF fans really thought they were "the entirety of fighting games", they wouldn't have been begging for CvS3 for 15 years.

Many fans seem open to guests, I just don't think Capcom itself is inclined to give another company in the fighting genre exposure through a SF guest spot unless they get something they find particularly valuable out of it. Whole-game crossovers seem like a very different kind of deal.

DR2K

Banned
I feel like they should reduce the price of some of the older and worst-selling DLC at least. The game has like...$700+ worth of DLC costumes alone. Even with the F2P version the game has, it's still a way to get people into buying DLC.

They put them on sale all the time. Like there's a sale every week on DLC almost.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony

yep. your technically only supposed to buy the costumes you like specifically. Those season passes and whatnot are just for obsessed people

Eolz

They have sales? Are these PSN sales or..? I'm just wondering because ive never seen them on sale

There's some PSN sales from time to time yeah. Got the Ultimate content set (the 237 costumes released between Ultimate and Last Round that weren't included on disc) for 35$ or so during one, and the season passes are in a more reasonable price during those times (like 45$ or so instead of 90$).

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
Man, what a great fit for this game. How many dlc characters has DOA:LR gotten so far?

Just 1, Naotora. I think Mai may be the last one, cause the random slot is only taking up one character icon. They might recenter the select menu so the characters are further down

The Orz

Has the disgusting PC version ever been fixed?

I think the hate for the PC version is a little extreme. It's a bit light, but if you can get a good deal on it I'd say go for it. The ability to use custom shaders really boosts the visuals (especially on some of the more drab stages) and their are tons of character mods out there (aside or in addition to the naughty ones, of course).

Eolz

So which stages and characters can I buy as DLC, if I own Last Round?

As said before: 1 character already out (Naotara Ii from Samurai Warriors, really accessible), new stages are free apart from the new Attack on Titan one apparently (I guess due to licensing issues).
That is if you own Last Round PS4/X1/PC (no extra stages on PC), it's a bit different on old gen, since it's just an upgrade to Ultimate and you might need to buy more characters.

And then Mai in September obviously.

ShinMaruku

There's some PSN sales from time to time yeah. Got the Ultimate content set (the 237 costumes released between Ultimate and Last Round that weren't included on disc) for 35$ or so during one, and the season passes are in a more reasonable price during those times (like 45$ or so instead of 90$).
Yup every quarter they have a sale on some packs so if you wait for certain times you only play $250 for all the costumes.

Man, what a great fit for this game. How many dlc characters has DOA:LR gotten so far?
Lady Naotoara and now Mai.

So which stages and characters can I buy as DLC, if I own Last Round?
You can buy Naoatora Ii right now, as stated before stages are all free and they cost almost as much to make as some costumes.

Galdelico

l_57bc08614227e.jpg

Is she fighting Kasumi?!

Are those actual KoF costumes or do they come from DoA/previous DLC packs? Because the first one looks like Kasumi Todo's outfit, and the second seems very similar to Yuri Sakazaki's uniform. Can't figure out who's in the third picture, though.

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
Are those actual KoF costumes or do they come from DoA/previous DLC packs? Because the first one looks like Kasumi Todo's outfit, and the second seems very similar to Yuri Sakazaki's uniform. Can't figure out who's in the third picture, though.

Those are from the upcoming KOF-themed costume pack that will come out with Mai on the home consoles. That third costume is Hinako's outfit.

SOLDIER

Honest question for Mai fans, but has there ever been anything more to the character besides her appearance?

There's no shortage of female fighters clearly designed as fap fuel, but at least they usually have some kind of backstory or other material that defines them: Chun-Li is an Interpol officer who wants to avenge her father, Kasumi is on the run from her ninja clan, even Ivy Valentine has this whole thing with Soul Edge and her pirate zombie father or some nonsense.

But over the years the two other big things that seem to define Mai are that she likes to flaunt her sexiness and really, really wants to have sex with Andy.

With Lara Croft rebooted, Mai is like the prime example of a videogame titty monster.

Daouzin

Honest question for Mai fans, but has there ever been anything more to the character besides her appearance?

There's no shortage of female fighters clearly designed as fap fuel, but at least they usually have some kind of backstory or other material that defines them: Chun-Li is an Interpol officer who wants to avenge her father, Kasumi is on the run from her ninja clan, even Ivy Valentine has this whole thing with Soul Edge and her pirate zombie father or some nonsense.

But over the years the two other big things that seem to define Mai are that she likes to flaunt her sexiness and really, really wants to have sex with Andy.

With Lara Croft rebooted, Mai is like the prime example of a videogame titty monster.

I think you have a fair perception of her, but I don't think characters like Scorpion or SubZero or Ryu or Ken have an identity particularly relevant to them either.

As some one that plays fighters casually and only plays them every now and then, she's as iconic to me as those characters. She's just part of gaming's legacy for better or worse.

Maybe I'm crazy since I'm old (30) and I've been gaming for so long, but that's how I feel about her.

SOLDIER

I think you have a fair perception of her, but I don't think characters like Scorpion or SubZero or Ryu or Ken have an identity particularly relevant to them either.

As some one that plays fighters casually and only plays them every now and then, she's as iconic to me as those characters. She's just part of gaming's legacy for better or worse.

Maybe I'm crazy since I'm old (30) and I've been gaming for so long, but that's how I feel about her.

Subjective quality aside, the three characters you mentioned do have definitive stories attached to them: Scorpion wants revenge for the destruction of his clan (and murder of his family), and has made the MK equivalent of a deal with the devil to do so. The first Sub-Zero is a bit more shallow, but he at least had enough substance to have an entire (terrible) game attached to him. Sub-Zero 2 is much more defined, as his honor makes him strive to make peace with Scorpion
which he does in MKX
. And even though Ryu is Mr Karate, he at least takes part in a lot of soul searching and also has a literal inner struggle with the Satsui no Hado.

From what I've seen in most of her appearances, Mai is mostly concerned with either getting some Andy action or boasting about her beauty (to the point that she fights against other characters like Chun-Li over her insistence that she is the most beautiful). It's not like she necessarily needs a compelling backstory, but coupled with the tiny outfit and the jiggling melons she's barely above the level of most hentai characters.

Edit: And that's not counting the irony that the director of the Fatal Fury movie went on to do hentai.

MCD

Fatal Fury anime made me love the cast more than any other KOF characters. Mai, Terry and the others just looked cool.

Subjective quality aside, the three characters you mentioned do have definitive stories attached to them: Scorpion wants revenge for the destruction of his clan (and murder of his family), and has made the MK equivalent of a deal with the devil to do so. The first Sub-Zero is a bit more shallow, but he at least had enough substance to have an entire (terrible) game attached to him. Sub-Zero 2 is much more defined, as his honor makes him strive to make peace with Scorpion
which he does in MKX
. And even though Ryu is Mr Karate, he at least takes part in a lot of soul searching and also has a literal inner struggle with the Satsui no Hado.

From what I've seen in most of her appearances, Mai is mostly concerned with either getting some Andy action or boasting about her beauty (to the point that she fights against other characters like Chun-Li over her insistence that she is the most beautiful). It's not like she necessarily needs a compelling backstory, but coupled with the tiny outfit and the jiggling melons she's barely above the level of most hentai characters.

Edit: And that's not counting the irony that the director of the Fatal Fury movie went on to do hentai.
You mean the director of the anime or the live action film?

Top Bottom