• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mai Shiranui from KOF joins DOA5LR in September

ShinMaruku

juri_sailor_by_gravelee-d6scfe4.gif

She next. :E

SF and its hardcore fans have a bit of a tendency to equate themselves with the entirety of fighting games and its fandom, so might be inclined to thing they don't need to bring anyone from outside their series/setting into their games, with exceptions being whole-game-themed crossover like CvS, MvC and SFxT.

Lol, passive aggressive much?

Also, it's silly to claim that SF fans don't want guest characters...then in the same breath mention CvS, MvC, and SFxT.

If SF fans really thought they were "the entirety of fighting games", they wouldn't have been begging for CvS3 for 15 years.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
The last time SNK outsourced a fighting game with 3D assets resulted in the Maximum Impact series.

I'd much rather have long time SNK devs who know the inner workings of some of the most notable 2D fighters that have worked on (Garou, Real Bout, KOF94 to 98), continue to do what they do well on top of learning a new skill, rather than what happened last time they let external talent work on the game.

Look you might not think KOF XIV looks good, but least it actually plays like a traditional KOF game, which in terms of the series history and being a mainline title is really what matters here for the series continued future success.

I definitely don't want SNK going back to near borderline bankruptcy after the exorbitantly expensive KOFXIII put them in that situation and them stuck doing Pachinko games to the point of irrelevancy.

The fact that Leyou Technologies acquired them, SNKP rebranded themselves back as just SNK and going in a direction that is reminiscent of their older games in terms of gameplay design is more than I could ask for.

Do you think KoF XIV looks good?

I never got why Ivy is a fan favorite. She dresses in fan-service outfits, but her face is kind of ugly compared to the others. Any of the other girls are prettier and you can dress them up in the last two games, so her default outfit is pretty irrelevant.

Just look at this shot showing Ivy with Amy's costume compared to the actual Amy (Soul Calibur IV).

I would love to see Ivy in DoA (Setsuka with costume mods even more so), but I agree with you here that her SC face should've been softened to a degree that it was more traditionally attractive.
Ivy had a deep move set in SC4 too. Something else I'd like to see more of in DoA.

Finally can jump on this game, super expensive here but that digital sale is just perfect.

Love the addition of Mai, wonder if she will have flame attacks still, they kept them for Momiji

OmegaDL50

Do you think KoF XIV looks good?

For a company that has hardly any in-house 3D development experience without relying on an external studio or middleware on their own original engine, yes,

it's a reasonable starting point and with some proper 3D experience under their belt, especially for doing this on their most important flagship franchise, nevermind being main installment and not a spin off or side title no less, it gives them a baseline to improve further on future games.

For a company that has hardly any in-house 3D development experience without relying on an external studio or middleware on their own original engine, yes,

You don't need all these quantifiers, it looks great period... stop selling SNK short! They've done a great job retaining the old-school KOF aesthetic in 3D - it looks the way it does cause that's how they want it to look, not because they're incapable of any better. That isn't however, to say that they could achieve DOA's level of realism - but then, who can? DOAX3 is on a whole other level - but that's to be expected with their level of experience.

I think a lot more people will realise how good KOF14 looks once they see it first hand, as has been the case for virtually everyone playing it at the events. And for a little salt, i'm sure Team Ninja could learn a thing or two about background designs from SNK :p

Hastati

Glad I could help. Now you can take that $24 you saved and buy costumes!!! Also, you'll still have to buy Naotora Ii separately since she was a DLC character after release.

Yep I've been looking at the packs...buying the main game now, is the core fighters pack also necessary or is that for people playing the free version?

cwistofu

I don't think Koei Tecmo wanna deal with a company which sued them for something stupid before.

I like to think of it as Capcom doing consumers a favor. I love the Warriors series more than most, but it was pretty ridiculous that Koei was still trying to push their cumbersome Mixjoy system in an era of online updates and expansions.

Yep I've been looking at the packs...buying the main game now, is the core fighters pack also necessary or is that for people playing the free version?

Core Fighters is the Free to Play version. If you buy the full game, you do not need to buy the following:
- Core Fighters version
- Story Mode
- Individual characters (except for Naotora)

I think the full version also gives you some costumes that were originally DLC in DOA5 vanilla, so that's neat.

EDIT: I don't think it's strictly necessary, but you will also need to download the latest DLC costume catalogs from PSN if you want to see them in your game. This doesn't give you access to the costumes, but it downloads them to your PS4 so that you can see what costumes you don't own (they show up but they're 'locked'). Doing this lets you see the costumes if other people use them online, too.

Hastati

I like to think of it as Capcom doing consumers a favor. I love the Warriors series more than most, but it was pretty ridiculous that Koei was still trying to push their cumbersome Mixjoy system in an era of online updates and expansions.

Core Fighters is the Free to Play version. If you buy the full game, you do not need to buy the following:
- Core Fighters version
- Story Mode
- Individual characters (except for Naotora)

I think the full version also gives you some costumes that were originally DLC in DOA5 vanilla, so that's neat.

Sweet. I'll stop bogging down this thread with my questions and dive in. Again, thank you ^^

MCD

My onky problem with DOA5 is...I honestly need DOA6. DOA5 just look drab? Brown? Empty? I just don't like how it looks outside of the characters. I do love the new stages like the fireworks one though.

raven777

My onky problem with DOA5 is...I honestly need DOA6. DOA5 just look drab? Brown? Empty? I just don't like how it looks outside of the characters. I do love the new stages like the fireworks one though.

I think the lighting and stages are not really good in DOA5... Most stages look foggy/blurry for some reason.
Even character visuals, while great character model, have aged. Like the skins look so much better in DOAX3 compared to DOA5LR.

Mai is also in a Chinese MOBA called Honor of Kings or something. She and Nakaruru are both playable characters in a LOL rip-off on phones.

NAKkFsw.jpg

prbnDHa.jpg

bai0qtn.jpg

I don't know, I've never played a Dead or Alive game. But as far as the art style, it seems the Japanese female characters all have that "generic video game Japanese female face." I don't know how to describe it past that. But it's not very appealing.

It's similar to how, when I was younger, all of the females drawn by Shinkiro all looked the same to me. Oh well :-/

juri_sailor_by_gravelee-d6scfe4.gif

She next. :E

Hey yo, when did Juri get that thick?

KiteGr

Was this supposed to be the "Last round" edition of the game?
Not only it had many Dlc costumes missing on release, but it keeps releasing new Dlc characters and costumes.

Fuck you team Ninja!
How many "complete editions" you expect me to buy?

Talax

So is there a Last round bundle option on PSN which nets me everything released for the game as well as the game itself on PS4?

Demoskinos

So is there a Last round bundle option on PSN which nets me everything released for the game as well as the game itself on PS4?

You can just pay the retail price. And you'll get everything except the one new DLC character and the costumes. Cause yo there is legit like 6-700$ worth of costume DLC now.

Talax

You can just pay the retail price. And you'll get everything except the one new DLC character and the costumes. Cause yo there is legit like 6-700$ worth of costume DLC now.
I basically meant the characters only, not the costumes. Should have mentioned that sorry.
Ok that works I guess. Thanks! (by one character you mean Mai or is there someone else?)

RM8

Well, this is of course a good fit since Mai is a huge breasted ninja barely wearing anything, lol. As many people here, though, I do think she looks pretty much just like everyone else in this game.

Moraizen

Is there actually anyone out there who has ALL the DLC released for this game?

I know I am a completionist myself, but I can't imagine myself spending that kind of money on this game, only for DOA 6 to come out and then the cycle begins all over again.

This would be an interesting discussion for a different thread I guess, but how much DLC is too much? I guess that it is alright if it actually brings more new content like characters and such, but I can't help but feel this is not the right way of doing it (at the current prices at least).

Galdelico

Mai is also in a Chinese MOBA called Honor of Kings or something. She and Nakaruru are both playable characters in a LOL rip-off on phones.

NAKkFsw.jpg
If that's a 3D model, then it looks way better than both KoF14's and DoA5's, in my opinion.
I'm loving what SNK is doing with the new KoF, but Mai's model is my least favourite one (the face especially... Looks so off). DoA's Mai, I don't know, really reminds me of a polished 'Create a Wrestler' character from a modern WWE game. That said, she looked pretty awful in Wild Ambition and Maximum Impact too. Maybe she's just too much of a peculiar design to translate well into 3D?

nded

If that's a 3D model, then it looks way better than both KoF14's and DoA5's, in my opinion.
I'm loving what SNK is doing with the new KoF, but Mai's model is my least favourite one (the face especially... Looks so off). DoA's Mai, I don't know, really reminds me of a polished 'Create a Wrestler' character from a modern WWE game. That said, she looked pretty awful in Wild Ambition and Maximum Impact too. Maybe she's just too much of a peculiar design to translate well into 3D?

Yep, 3D model. I bet it's pretty low-poly, but it does look very well put together.

I think the KOF XIV model is fine, but the lighting and shading style they chose for the game don't do it any favors.

Skilletor

Maybe Mai is just a generic brunette with breasts.

butman

Here's another shot. She look gorgeous!

231413491J1.jpg

Yep, 3D model. I bet it's pretty low-poly, but it does look very well put together.

I think the KOF XIV model is fine, but the lighting and shading style they chose for the game don't do it any favors.

The polygon count is not bad. The youtube video doesn't do her justice.

Here's another shot. She look gorgeous!

231413491J1.jpg

For some reason, I can't find any good HD screen shots of this game. The character models are way better than the ones in LOL.

Top Bottom