• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Major Nelson drops huge Halo 2 Anniversary hint...

TTUVAPOR

Banned
It's an accidental red herring. Sorry. Ain't happening. Well, I mean, it's already happened, since you can already play it. Nothing new happening.

Do you guys intentionally ignore consumer feedback? Fans want that experience we had with Halo 2, not Halo 3, not Reach, not Halo 4, but the experience we had with Halo 2. They want it now on next-generation consoles, or is that what Halo 5 is going to do?

-PXG-

Larry is so full of shit. Yeah, out of all the games to choose from, out of all the PC games you could play and have immediate access to, you pick Halo fucking 2. Come on. We're not stupid.

Magwik

Banned
It's an accidental red herring. Sorry. Ain't happening. Well, I mean, it's already happened, since you can already play it. Nothing new happening.

Z7HeRxU.png

blakep267

Larry is so full of shit. Yeah, out of all the games to choose from, out of all the PC games you could play and have immediate access to, you pick Halo fucking 2. Come on. We're not stupid.
May want to relax there buddy

We know what is really up but they have the right to wait until their conference to announce thibgs

Izuna

Banned
This is the game I used to show off my Surface Pro with Xbox 360 controllers at Uni last year...

I wouldn't read into this at all. Nothing shouts (awesome PC gaming) to console players like Halo 2.

soldat7

Why would they port the Halo 4 MP engine to Xbox One? Would make more sense to use a modified version of whatever Halo 5 is using.

Because the Halo 5 engine will likely be an iteration on the Halo 4 engine. They didn't do all that work just to toss it.

The point here is I doubt we'll ever see Halo 2 MP again in anything resembling its original form. Stick it in a museum. It's too good.

how is that a Halo 2 Anniversary hint?
looks more like a "Xbox One Pad PC Driver finally works" hint seeing how hes running Halo 2 Vista

Because the Halo 5 engine will likely be an iteration on the Halo 4 engine. They didn't do all that work just to toss it.

Bullshit. They confirmed that it was a brand new engine from the ground up.

It's a good bet the other games if remastered would be using the Halo 4 engine as they ran on the same hardware.

soldat7

Bullshit. They confirmed that it was a brand new engine from the ground up.

It's a good bet the other games if remastered would be using the Halo 4 engine as they ran on the same hardware.

"New engine" can be used very, very liberally.

Do you really think they hired folks like Yu to come in and develop a one-off engine? Nope.

Source

"New engine" can be used very, very liberally.

Do you really think they hired folks like Yu to come in and develop a one-off engine? Nope.

Well, this is what Stinkles had to say in the Halo 5: Guardians reveal thread.

The things at the core are vital, but a tiny fraction of the overall engine footprint. It's a new engine. Not an iteration or a rendering evolution.

It's a new engine.

soldat7

Well, this is what Stinkles had to say in the Halo 5: Guardians reveal thread.

Interesting. What a waste, especially given that 343 would have known about the One architecture very well in advance. I remain skeptical. If true them there must have been major issues with the engine (which might explain various departures.)

Who knows!

Either way, I doubt we'll ever see a "pure" remake of the Halo 2 MP experience.

Nevadatan

the dream is dead. :(

As far as what is on my screen, many of you are reading too much into my intention. Halo 2 Vista is what I had available to test the controller.

gee, thanks for the GFWL shutdown too, at least a steamworks conversion but nooo.

Seik

Banned
It's either the most obvious hint or the worst kind of trolling one could do to the fans.

Must be the former, considering MS can't really afford trolling atm.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Looks like the PC version to me. Same menu as the X-box version. If they were doing an Anniversary, wouldn't they change that up?

gorfyako

Banned
Looks like the PC version to me. Same menu as the X-box version. If they were doing an Anniversary, wouldn't they change that up?

If the menu looked changed up, people would know it was an Anniversary edition. They can't do that before an official reveal.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
If the menu looked changed up, people would know it was an Anniversary edition. They can't do that before an official reveal.

I guess. But it still looks like the PC port 100% to me.

Why is this post so angry? Dude put a up a picture. LMAO.. so much anger.

As far as what is on my screen, many of you are reading too much into my intention. Halo 2 Vista is what I had available to test the controller.

This happens way too much from some people. You do a cool thing and put up a pic showing off you're using the X1 controller with those new drivers, and now you're getting cussed at and being told you're trying to make people feel dumb.

Lol..sorry man. The new school. Have a great E3 Larry! See you there next year!

fantomena

I can tell you plainly that is ALL it is. Vista version, in fact.

#nofunallowed.gif

Sue. Of course. There is absolutely no Halo 1,2,3 etc. coming to Steam. Sure. We're gonna help you guys to hush hush until E3. ;)

giphy-5.gif

riotous

Banned
He works at MS.. they've got ISO's of everything they've ever created on their internal FTP/share.

Someone else probably loaded it up for him even.

He doesn't need disks or cracks.. crazy how people jumped on him for this. It's a fairly logical choice for him to use it to test and take screenshots.

I don't think the PC Version of Spartan Assault even has controller support.. it didn't at launch, I know that (strange exclusion, purposeful I think, it's a touch game first and foremost)

-PXG-

May want to relax there buddy

We know what is really up but they have the right to wait until their conference to announce thibgs

Why is this post so angry? Dude put a up a picture. LMAO.. so much anger.

This happens way too much from some people. You do a cool thing and put up a pic showing off you're using the X1 controller with those new drivers, and now you're getting cussed at and being told you're trying to make people feel dumb.

I ain't even mad though :p

Espi

Banned
He works at MS.. they've got ISO's of everything they've ever created on their internal FTP/share.

Someone else probably loaded it up for him even.

He doesn't need disks or cracks.. crazy how people jumped on him for this. It's a fairly logical choice for him to use it to test and take screenshots.

I don't think the PC Version of Spartan Assault even has controller support.. it didn't at launch, I know that (strange exclusion, purposeful I think, it's a touch game first and foremost)

How does a game that released 7 years ago which is about to have it's service shut down make more sense than their recent and upcoming releases like Fable Anniversary?

Spartan Assault has controller support. I've been playing it with my Dualshock 4 the whole time

fasTRapid

Banned
MS guy A: "OK guys, we need to have a game running on the tablet screen. We can use any MS PC game we want."

MS guy B: "Hmm, how about something from 10 years ago that we stopped supporting a long time ago?"

MS guy A: "Makes sense."
Don't try to think like them. 1 → 360 → One is a logical series in their minds.
:p

riotous

Banned
How does a game that released 7 years ago which is about to have it's service shut down make more sense than their recent and upcoming releases like Fable Anniversary?

Because it's not out, and getting a working ISO of a game in development is a lot trickier.

Spartan Assault has controller support. I've been playing it with my Dualshock 4 the whole time

That's cool. I had it day one and it didn't have Xbox 360 controller support, found it odd.

It's also about as interesting to test with a controller as Minesweeper would be.

Either way.. myriad of reasons why he'd end up with a Surface with Halo 2 installed.. could simply be what someone wanted to mess with.

"The new school" lol

Nice generalization there breh!

E92 M3

We all know it's pretty much coming, but the multiplayer aspect is still the enigma...Can't say I care for campaign much, but definitely need that multiplayer to be 1:1.

"The new school" lol

Nice generalization there breh!

I watched Grown Ups 2 last night. (shit movie with some funny scenes at times.. shaq is great) I see the fans of video games like the players in that movie. The old dudes... (me and my friends who've gamed forever on all sorts of stuff) and the young college frat dudes in that movie. (the newer school gamer, making game writers change endings to their games, making threats on twitter, etc.)

:)

Top Bottom